PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Dwarf Warlord (Fighter/Cleric multiclass) help

sage20500
2017-08-19, 03:33 AM
Working on a back up character to use for adventurers leagues games that I can play with some friends who are unable to attend 5e games as much as I normally can. Idea is based on some of the fun I've had with Strength/Wis 4e Clerics as well as the fun you could have with a 4e Warlord.

Character concept was essentially a Dwarven War Priest that charges into battle with a giant hammer to smash into his enemies, while having the utility to provide his allies with support spells as needed (or possibly lend some buffs to himself when things are looking rough. Using point buy, starting stats before racials are 15 Str, 8 Dex, 15 Con, 8 Int, 15 Wis, 8 Cha. I'm taking my first level in fighter for higher starting hit points as well as con proficiency, perception proficiency, and the great weapon fighting style.

What I'm trying to figure out from there is where to go next with the build over the course of his character life. At level 2 I was thinking about going ahead and grabbing War Cleric 1 so that I have some party healing utility, access to Bless, Cure Wounds, and Shield of Faith for spells, and the ability to up to wis mod times per day add in an extra attack as a bonus action.

After that I'm not sure if I should immediately rush out to get 3 more levels of fighter for the action surge, Battlemaster archetype, and ASI to either grab Observant to increase Wis to 16 and get bonus to Perception, or take a +1 increase to Str and Con, or else if I should take some more levels in Cleric to grab 3rd level spells faster?

I guess as a general question, what are peoples opinions for how the split between Cleric and Fighter should be on levels? I'm mostly looking to play the melee character who has the ability to help out his party with some utility spells as needed (mostly the biggest spell I'm looking to grab is magic weapon for just in case I'm unable to ever find a magic maul during his campaign life). The biggest things I've been wanting to do was try to make a decent melee support character that help let the other players around him shine. ASI wise, so long as I'm able to potentially max Str and Wis, and then maybe Con I should be fine. When it comes to feats, so far at the moment if I can I'd like to try and get some combination of Alert, Great Weapon Master, Observant, Resilient (Wis Saves Prof), and War Caster (not sure how much I need it... if I don't then great I'm good)

(If it helps, one of my friends I'd be most likely running this character with would be playing either a Rogue or a Barbarian, and the other at the moment would possibly be interested in picking up a Valor Bard.)

djreynolds
2017-08-19, 07:30 AM
How many attacks do you want? Are you satisfied with just one?

You're divine strike at 8th and 14th is once a turn... regardless of extra attacks. So if you were a BM5/WC8, you would have 2 attacks and on one of them get to add the extra damage. You would get to do that at level 13.

I like the idea of a fighter cleric, how does an Eldritch Knight/Cleric suit you? You can simply grab up utility/buff spells from the Eldritch knight list so you don't have to push intelligence to high. Shield spell, lightning lure, blur, mirror image are all good spells

But in the end it all stems down to how many attacks you want?

War cleric get divine favor which is nice on multiple attacks.

Citan
2017-08-19, 07:38 AM
Hi!

Well, there are many good ways to split such a multiclass. I think you actually already found the best one for you...

I'm mostly looking to play the melee character who has the ability to help out his party with some utility spells as needed (mostly the biggest spell I'm looking to grab is magic weapon for just in case I'm unable to ever find a magic maul during his campaign life).
So Cleric 3 at most. ;) There you go!

Start Fighter, immediately take one level of Cleric, then straight up Fighter 5 for Extra Attack, then whatever you want is what I would do.

Specter
2017-08-19, 07:52 AM
With Mountain Dwarf, your starting stats will be 17 Str, 8 Dex, 17 Con, 8 Int, 15 Wis, 8 Cha. There's no advantage to having three odd scores, so you should leave CON at 16 and make one of your negative stats 10.

As far as levels go:
- Take a fighter level (for CON proficiency)
- Then a Cleric level
- Then four more on fighter (for Extra Attack)
- Then two more on Cleric (for Magic Weapon)

From there, choose what's best for you.

ZorroGames
2017-08-28, 05:06 PM
With Mountain Dwarf, your starting stats will be 17 Str, 8 Dex, 17 Con, 8 Int, 15 Wis, 8 Cha. There's no advantage to having three odd scores, so you should leave CON at 16 and make one of your negative stats 10.

As far as levels go:
- Take a fighter level (for CON proficiency)
- Then a Cleric level
- Then four more on fighter (for Extra Attack)
- Then two more on Cleric (for Magic Weapon)

From there, choose what's best for you.

That sounds a lot like the old school multiclass Fighter/Cleric in flavor. Nice!