PDA

View Full Version : A high level wizard making money lending out powerful magic items.

Sir cryosin
2017-08-19, 11:38 AM
So I was just thinking oh cool it would be to be able to rent a magic item. Then I thought about next time I play a wizard and when I get to high level I'll open a magic shop.

smcmike
2017-08-19, 11:41 AM
So I was just thinking oh cool it would be to be able to rent a magic item. Then I thought about next time I play a wizard and when I get to high level I'll open a magic shop.

Worst. Business plan. Ever.

Sir cryosin
2017-08-19, 01:10 PM
Worst. Business plan. Ever.

Why you say that?

Lombra
2017-08-19, 01:44 PM
Potions/wands/scrolls are all legitimate ways to spend money and downtime for a wizard, plus, it's cool.

lunaticfringe
2017-08-19, 02:10 PM
Take Fabricate or True Polymorph so you can create the requisite sapphires to cast So-and-So's Instant Summons (I'm afb and will butcher the name) on your stock of Items. Might be worth it to upcast on the more valuable items for a bit of added protection against dispel magic.

And/Or offer a discount if the customer can pay in sapphires.

Obviously a hefty deposit is necessary if the customer plans on planar travel.

smcmike
2017-08-19, 02:18 PM
The main problem is that the sort of person who might want to rent a high-powered magical item is the sort of person who likely won't return said item.

Sir cryosin
2017-08-19, 03:58 PM
Take Fabricate or True Polymorph so you can create the requisite sapphires to cast So-and-So's Instant Summons (I'm afb and will butcher the name) on your stock of Items. Might be worth it to upcast on the more valuable items for a bit of added protection against dispel magic.

And/Or offer a discount if the customer can pay in sapphires.

Obviously a hefty deposit is necessary if the customer plans on planar travel.

That's the key Drawjin instant summoning calls out to dispel the spell you have to cast it on the Sapphire. So with that spell and scrying. You can keep a lot of people from stealing the items. You have them sign paper work on it your property and they are to return it after such time. Then there is a down payment to cover the cost of the gem then a small fee per day.

smcmike
2017-08-19, 04:05 PM
That's the key Drawjin instant summoning calls out to dispel the spell you have to cast it on the Sapphire. So with that spell and scrying. You can keep a lot of people from stealing the items. You have them sign paper work on it your property and they are to return it after such time. Then there is a down payment to cover the cost of the gem then a small fee per day.

Instant Summoning is hardly a foolproof way to secure your item, particularly if you are lending them out to people with the means to buy your services. You'd need to either act as or hire a repo man, on occasion.

Sounds like a big hassle for someone who is supposed to be a master of arcana. In most cases, it sounds smarter to just sell the items. You can put your instant summoning on them anyways, if you like.

lunaticfringe
2017-08-19, 04:06 PM

Even better then, I knew a dispel worked but if it has to be on the sapphire...

I'd invest in an Emery quarry and just Fabricate my sapphires. Your getting paid from the Emery and you're cutting overhead on Sapphires. No material components necessary though you might need proficiency in a Jewelers Kit.

Sir cryosin
2017-08-20, 09:00 AM
Instant Summoning is hardly a foolproof way to secure your item, particularly if you are lending them out to people with the means to buy your services. You'd need to either act as or hire a repo man, on occasion.

Sounds like a big hassle for someone who is supposed to be a master of arcana. In most cases, it sounds smarter to just sell the items. You can put your instant summoning on them anyways, if you like.

Just selling them out right gives you a bunch of money at once. But that go's quick for a high level wizard. Think of it this way adventurer's make a lot of money and loves magic items that make this powerful. Also most of them aren't to bright. So if a old guy offers you a magical sword for rent at a lower price then it would cost to out right buy it. They will jump on that deal. And bing a repo man is a very easy thing for a 20th lv wizard.

kingheff1
2017-08-20, 09:06 AM
I guess it could kind of work if you work as more of a quest giver. "Secure me magic item X for X amount of gold, I've got a few magic items that you can hire for a small fee that you might find helpful..."

smcmike
2017-08-20, 09:17 AM
Just selling them out right gives you a bunch of money at once. But that go's quick for a high level wizard. Think of it this way adventurer's make a lot of money and loves magic items that make this powerful. Also most of them aren't to bright. So if a old guy offers you a magical sword for rent at a lower price then it would cost to out right buy it. They will jump on that deal. And bing a repo man is a very easy thing for a 20th lv wizard.

The most valuable thing a 20th level wizard has is his time. Running around after magic items that some dummy lost is waste of that time.

P.S. - Don't take this as an attack, but it's "goes" and "adventurers," not "go's" and "adventurer's." Apostrophe misuse on this site is turning into a pet peeve of mine, even though I know autocorrect, quickly written thoughts, and language barriers are all reasonable excuses for it.

I guess it could kind of work if you work as more of a quest giver. "Secure me magic item X for X amount of gold, I've got a few magic items that you can hire for a small fee that you might find helpful..."

Yeah, this idea makes a lot more sense of the wizard is after something more valuable than a few gold coins. Lending out magic items to hand-picked heroes to influence the fate of nations is more in the style of a 20th level wizard.

Cybren
2017-08-20, 09:30 AM
The most valuable thing a 20th level wizard has is his time. Running around after magic items that some dummy lost is waste of that time.

P.S. - Don't take this as an attack, but it's "goes" and "adventurers," not "go's" and "adventurer's." Apostrophe misuse on this site is turning into a pet peeve of mine, even though I know autocorrect, quickly written thoughts, and language barriers are all reasonable excuses for it.

Yeah, this idea makes a lot more sense of the wizard is after something more valuable than a few gold coins. Lending out magic items to hand-picked heroes to influence the fate of nations is more in the style of a 20th level wizard.

isn't this the plot to A Link Between Worlds

Sir cryosin
2017-08-20, 01:19 PM

First I'm on my phone at work if my Grammer is not right I'm sorry.

OK next not all wizards are the same. I can see a divination wizard doing something like that. The reason why this wizard has such a business. Is so he can spend more time doing wizard things like spell crafting writing books. Or enjoying his retirement by traveling and hitting on younger females. Turning under wipper snapper into animals and laugh as make a loud noise that scares them. Having to to use instant summoning to get a item back. Or pop in to get it every now and then. Is a good way to blow off steam for him and keeps him from getting rusty.

Sigreid
2017-08-20, 01:27 PM
I think an easier way to get a steady stream of money is to bind an earth elemental and send him out for gold and gems that have not yet been discovered.

Sir cryosin
2017-08-20, 03:15 PM
I think an easier way to get a steady stream of money is to bind an earth elemental and send him out for gold and gems that have not yet been discovered.

Planar binding only last 24 hours.

Edited never mind

sir_argo
2017-08-20, 06:21 PM
Random thoughts on some of the points already brought up...

You can't create the Sapphire with the Fabricate spell. The spell only creates something out of the raw materials you already have.

Drawmij's Instant Summons fails if the item is current in the possession of a creature. So it would NOT retrieve the item from the person who rented it. I guess you have to spend a lot of time scrying the target, waiting for them to put the item down and then activate DIS. Good luck with that.

If a person is renting a high powered magic items, they probably also have access to Dispel Magic, which would easily remove the DIS. I'm not sure if I'm misreading what some have posted, but I'll just say it here, dispelling DIS from an item will NOT teleport it back to the owner. It just removes the DIS.

Sir cryosin
2017-08-21, 06:21 AM
Random thoughts on some of the points already brought up...

You can't create the Sapphire with the Fabricate spell. The spell only creates something out of the raw materials you already have.

Drawmij's Instant Summons fails if the item is current in the possession of a creature. So it would NOT retrieve the item from the person who rented it. I guess you have to spend a lot of time scrying the target, waiting for them to put the item down and then activate DIS. Good luck with that.

If a person is renting a high powered magic items, they probably also have access to Dispel Magic, which would easily remove the DIS. I'm not sure if I'm misreading what some have posted, but I'll just say it here, dispelling DIS from an item will NOT teleport it back to the owner. It just removes the DIS.

To dispel Dis you need to cast dispel on the gem and not on the time.

Spookykid
2017-08-21, 12:45 PM
gaes: return item after 30 days

grumbaki
2017-08-21, 12:46 PM
Make temporary magic items. Cheaper than permanent ones. After a certain amount of uses or time they stop working. A discount magic shop for the adventurer on the go. No worrying about magic items coming back, and functionally they would be the same for the person who would otherwise rent an item.

Sir cryosin
2017-08-21, 12:48 PM
Make temporary magic items. Cheaper than permanent ones. After a certain amount of uses or time they stop working. A discount magic shop for the adventurer on the go. No worrying about magic items coming back, and functionally they would8 be the same for the person who would otherwise rent an item.

But then you would have to spend time crafting said items.

Corran
2017-08-21, 01:23 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTHdzPYH4Lw

Mellack
2017-08-21, 02:53 PM
gaes: return item after 30 days

Since Geas only lasts 30 days, that is not much of a threat. You would have to upcast it. Even then, it is easily canceled by a remove curse.

Theodoxus
2017-08-21, 03:39 PM
If we're talking 20th level wizard, then simply Wishing for each magic item in your possession to teleport back to your tower/lair/demiplane whatever after 'set amount of time' would be sufficient.

As a DM, I'd rule that as a particularly powerful, but not 9th level powerful, version of DIS and fully within the purview of the Wish spell sans detriment. (Feel free to contradict that assessment, but I'm happy with it.)

Elsewise, said wizard could simply Curse the items to return to him. If the characters don't know of his duplicity, then they'd have no reason to suspect foul play and Remove Curse the items.

Why a wizard would stoop to such shenanigans for something so mundane as gold, I have no idea... be easier to buy off miners at that point (or the earth elemental idea, which I'm quite fond of - or even doing such on the earth elemental plane for more fun).

Gold is so... meh.

Mellack
2017-08-21, 03:59 PM
If we're talking 20th level wizard, then simply Wishing for each magic item in your possession to teleport back to your tower/lair/demiplane whatever after 'set amount of time' would be sufficient.

As a DM, I'd rule that as a particularly powerful, but not 9th level powerful, version of DIS and fully within the purview of the Wish spell sans detriment. (Feel free to contradict that assessment, but I'm happy with it.)

Elsewise, said wizard could simply Curse the items to return to him. If the characters don't know of his duplicity, then they'd have no reason to suspect foul play and Remove Curse the items.

Why a wizard would stoop to such shenanigans for something so mundane as gold, I have no idea... be easier to buy off miners at that point (or the earth elemental idea, which I'm quite fond of - or even doing such on the earth elemental plane for more fun).

Gold is so... meh.

That same wish could just make you 25,000 gp directly. Seems that would be a much better way to make cash than all the bother of renting out items.