PDA

View Full Version : Non-lethal assassin

Desteplo
2017-08-19, 12:16 PM
Been good playing around with the idea of a forest gnome outlander in a city environment (get it? Fish out of water) in other words an urban ranger.

Doesn't matter my build because I know it's not optimized but it's very much thematic

Thief ability: fast hands
Using manacles to restrain as a bonus action? Does it need an opposed roll?

Grappling and shoving someone into a hunting trap prone, able to specify restraining an arm or head etc?

Tavern brawler: using a garrote or rope and bonus action grapple?

-same situation: is it possible to suffocate someone using a rope?
-is it athletics until their breathe runs out? Can it wait until they exhale and lasts a few turns?

lunaticfringe
2017-08-19, 12:23 PM
Any melee attack can be nonlethal. Props for being creative but you are just making things overly complicated imho. Also you may be using the term Assassin wrong.

Desteplo
2017-08-19, 01:06 PM
Any melee attack can be nonlethal. Props for being creative but you are just making things overly complicated imho. Also you may be using the term Assassin wrong.

I'm aware. Of all counts and thank you
-trying to go for a crowd control combatant that uses stealth and items
-in aware that attacking is similar but I also just want someone restrained since turn 1-2 and 1-2 turns for all other people
-that way I'm not stuck with one restrain and kind of stuck (as per grappler feat)

Easy_Lee
2017-08-19, 02:15 PM
There aren't rules for most of the things you mentioned here, probably because they would vary heavily by creature. You'll need to ask your DM.

Desteplo
2017-08-19, 02:20 PM
There aren't rules for most of the things you mentioned here, probably because they would vary heavily by creature. You'll need to ask your DM.

Right but if you were a DM how would you rule these?

Easy_Lee
2017-08-19, 03:24 PM
Right but if you were a DM how would you rule these?

Case by case, usually with an opposed roll. Especially for manacles, being able to chain up a wizard with no opposed roll would be too strong.

Jerrykhor
2017-08-22, 04:58 AM
Been good playing around with the idea of a forest gnome outlander in a city environment (get it? Fish out of water) in other words an urban ranger.

Doesn't matter my build because I know it's not optimized but it's very much thematic

Thief ability: fast hands
Using manacles to restrain as a bonus action? Does it need an opposed roll?

Grappling and shoving someone into a hunting trap prone, able to specify restraining an arm or head etc?

Tavern brawler: using a garrote or rope and bonus action grapple?

-same situation: is it possible to suffocate someone using a rope?
-is it athletics until their breathe runs out? Can it wait until they exhale and lasts a few turns?

Thematic? More like oxymoronic...