PDA

View Full Version : How do specific rules interact?

Blu
2017-08-19, 12:42 PM
Let's say we have two specific rules that contradict each other, how can you handle that situation?

I was thinking on this because of the stances Press the advantage and Thicket of blades from ToB.
Thicket of blades states that ALL movement around you causes attacks of oportunity, including 5-foot steps.
But Press the advantage goes out of it's way to state that your second 5-foot step does not cause attacks of oportunity.

DeTess
2017-08-19, 12:48 PM
In this case, I'd say the most specific one wins. The one ability says that all movement causes AoO's, including 5-foot steps (that don't normally trigger AoO's), while the other states that you can do a second 5-foot step that does not cause AoO's. So thicket of blades overrules the general rule of no AoO's for 5-foot steps, while press the advantage overrules that by stating that it gives a special 5-foot step that never provokes AoO's. Given that these are even from the same book, I suspect the wording on press the advantage was deliberate to sate it also bypasses thicket of blades, but I'm not certain.

The Viscount
2017-08-19, 02:37 PM
I'd say that thicket of blades wins out. It specifies that the movement doesn't provoke AoOs, but neither does normal 5 foot steps. It's basically just a "bonus" 5 foot step. Thicket of Blades makes clear that all movement provokes an AoO, including the 5-foot step, which usually doesn't.

I'll admit it's not incredibly clear-cut though.

Blu
2017-08-19, 03:23 PM
Both sides of the argument seem reasonable.
I liked the idea that the most specif wins, since it also aplys to other cases.
Like Press the Advantage says you can make a second 5ft step(which normally would not cause AoO) and even further states that it doens't cause AoO, wich in this case would be more specific.

martixy
2017-08-19, 04:02 PM
I'd say that thicket of blades wins out. It specifies that the movement doesn't provoke AoOs, but neither does normal 5 foot steps. It's basically just a "bonus" 5 foot step. Thicket of Blades makes clear that all movement provokes an AoO, including the 5-foot step, which usually doesn't.

I'll admit it's not incredibly clear-cut though.

I'm with this one here.

It's clearly identified as a second 5ft step. The bit about not provoking is just a reminder.

As a normal 5ft step, this then falls under the purview of Thicket of Blades.

I know about specific trumps general, but there's something to be said about common sense. And the other interpretation just doesn't make sense on the depth-complexity scale.