PDA

View Full Version : Does Wolf Totem Barbarian fit my party?

suplee215
2017-08-19, 03:44 PM
I am currently debating sticking to wolf totem or moving to Storm Herald Sea (DM approved). The party currently has a dwarf barbarian (me), a gnome battle master, a vengeance paladin (forgot race), a halfling circle of Sheppard druid, and a tempest cleric. The DM also often use "flanking rules" to give advantage on melee attacks anyways.

Waazraath
2017-08-19, 04:32 PM
Normally, I'd say wolf is great with that many melee fighters. But if flanking is a thing... I guess it depends on how often is 'often'. I think I'd skip wolf, based on the info you give.

GlenSmash!
2017-08-21, 03:19 PM
If the DM is using the variant flanking rules, then the level 3 Wolf totem ability is entirely useless. It is for exactly this reason that I don't like the variant flanking rules.

Specter
2017-08-21, 08:02 PM
Definitely. With two other melees in the party, it's great, and in your case there nay be three.

Kane0
2017-08-21, 08:17 PM
With that many melee party members its a fantastic pick. Using the DMG optional flanking rules its value drops to somewhere near 0.

Cap'm Bubbles
2017-08-21, 09:13 PM
From someone who has run a game for a party with a generous version of variant flanking rules (requiring just greater than 90 degrees between flankers instead of opposite sides), Wolf Totem is still useful. Cramped spaces can prevent the maneuvering otherwise required to flank. Sometimes enemies are too numerous to get around to flank in melee. But no matter what, Wolf Totem is giving every melee fighter near him advantage.

Be warned that your DM will probably focus more on flanking your allies. If the DM wants flanking rules, it's so that the DM can use them. Players just get the benefit of a few new tactics and bonuses that weren't as effective before. Wolf Totem makes fighting while surrounded easier as well, and I can almost guarantee you that this will happen more often than you are used to.

Saeviomage
2017-08-21, 10:05 PM
Compared with the other totems, wolf totem is weak if you have flanking rules in play. It's rare in 5e to be pinned in a position where you can't circle around to flank an opponent.

Snails
2017-08-21, 10:15 PM
I agree with Bubbles.

Your party has a lot of melee heft. Areliable means to give other heavy hitters in the party advantage will reduce the negatives of swinginess while giving you a lot of fun upsides.