PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Guardian Gargoyle (no, not from the "Gargoyles" series :D)

rferries
2017-08-19, 05:36 PM
Based on (i.e. pretty much a rip-off) of a homebrew gargoyle I saw posted ages ago, either here or on some other site but I honestly can't remember. All due credit to you, mysterious original poster!

GUARDIAN GARGOYLE
http://i.imgur.com/IqEvcOe.jpg
"The Cathedral was here long before our town was founded, and the gargoyles even longer. So long as they keep watch, we need not fear the terrors of the night."

MEDIUM CONSTRUCT (Good, Lawful)
Hit Dice: 12d10+20 (86 hp)
Initiative: +9
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares), climb 30 ft., fly 60 ft. (good)
Armor Class: 25 (+5 Dex, +10 natural), touch 15, flat-footed 20
Base Attack/Grapple: +8/+13
Attack: Claw +13 melee (1d4+5)
Full Attack: 2 claws +13 melee (1d4+5) and bite +11 melee (1d6+2) and gore +11 melee (1d6+2)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Breath weapon, merciful, spell-like abilities, turn evil 8/day
Special Qualities: Construct traits, damage reduction 10/adamantine and evil, darkvision 60 ft., divine grace, fast healing 5, freeze, low-light vision
Saves: Fort +11, Ref +16, Will +16
Abilities: Str 20, Dex 20, Con -, Int 20, Wis 20, Cha 20
Skills: Climb +13, Concentration +15, Diplomacy +7, Hide +22*, Intimidate +20, Knowledge (religion) +20, Listen +22, Sense Motive +20, Spot +22
Feats: Great Fortitude, Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Multiattack
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary, pair, or wing (5-16)
Challenge Rating: 12
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Always lawful good
Advancement: 13-24 HD (Medium)
Level Adjustment: -

Guardian gargoyles are constructs that protect places of worship and other holy sites. They ward off undead, demons, and other evil spirits. Gruff and frightening in appearance, they are nonetheless utterly benevolent.

Guardian gargoyles speak Abyssal, Celestial, Common, and Infernal, plus the local languages of the areas they guard.

Combat Abilities
Guardian gargoyles prefer to incapacitate non-evil foes with their holy water breath weapon, using their natural attacks and boiling oil breath weapon only as a last resort. Against evil foes, especially undead and evil outsiders, they show far less restraint.

A guardian gargoyle’s natural weapons, as well as any weapons it wields, are treated as good-aligned and lawful-aligned for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

Breath Weapon (Su)
A guardian gargoyle has two types of breath weapon, a cone of holy water and a cone of boiling oil. Once a guardian gargoyle breathes, it can’t breathe again until 1d4 rounds later (regardless of which breath weapon it used). Both versions are 30 feet long and allow a Reflex save (DC 21) for half damage. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Holy Water
Any creature struck by this torrent of holy water takes 6d6 points of nonlethal bludgeoning damage. Evil outsiders and undead are instead burned as if by acid, taking 12d6 points of damage. Incorporeal undead and evil outsiders do not have a 50% chance to avoid this damage.

Boiling Oil
Any creature struck by this horrifically scalding, clinging substance takes 6d6 points of fire damage and is permanently blinded if they fail their save. The oil clings, dealing 3d6 points of fire damage for the next 4 rounds unless scraped off (requiring a full-round action). Creatures are sickened from the agonizing burns for as long as the oil clings.

Divine Grace (Su)
A guardian gargoyle gains its Charisma bonus on all its saves.

Freeze (Ex)
A guardian gargoyle can hold itself so still it appears to be an inanimate statue. An observer must succeed on a DC 20 Spot check to notice the guardian gargoyle is really a creature.

Merciful (Su)
A guardian gargoyle's natural weapons, as well as any weapons it wields, gain the merciful (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#merciful)special quality. The guardian gargoyle may suppress or reactivate this ability as a free action. (The benefits of this ability are not included in the statistics block).

Spell-Like Abilities (Sp)
Always active-consecrate (on self), detect chaos/evil/good/law, discern lies (DC 19), magic circle against chaos/evil, see invisibility, true seeing; at will-dispel chaos (DC 20), dispel evil (DC 20), holy smite (DC 19), order's wrath (DC 19); 1/year-hallow. Caster level 12th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

Turn Evil (Su)
This ability functions as a cleric's turn undead ability, save that it can also affect evil outsiders, evil fey, and evil elementals. Note that a guardian gargoyle gains a +2 bonus on turning checks due to it's ranks in Knowledge (religion).

Skills
Guardian gargoyles have a +2 racial bonus on Hide, Listen, and Spot checks and a +8 racial bonus on Climb checks. *The Hide bonus increases by +8 when a gargoyle is concealed against a background of stone. They can always choose to take 10 on Climb checks, even if rushed or threatened.

Construction
A guardian gargoyle’s body is sculpted from a block of marble or other fine stone, anointed with rare herbs and oils costing at least 10,000 gp. Assembling the body requires a DC 20 Craft (sculpting) check or a DC 20 Craft (stonemasonry) check.

CL 15th; Craft Construct, bless water, geas/quest, minor miracle (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?533711-Minor-Miracle-(limited-wish-equivalent)-amp-True-Atonement-(Good-aligned-mind-control)&p=22302454#post22302454), caster must be at least 15th level; Price 150,000 gp; Cost 80,000 gp + 5,600 XP.

Variant Guardian Gargoyles
There are guardian gargoyles of each possible alignment, built to defend all the holy (and unholy) places of the world. Modify their subtypes, damage reduction, spell-like abilities, breath weapon, and turn evil ability as appropriate.

AOKost
2017-08-20, 06:54 AM
Looks fantastic! Though I wonder about the high Int, and Dex being stone. I love Intellignet Constructs! Warforged make great characters! A suggestion I might make though: Give them Merciful to their weapons, letting them choose to do subdual damage instead of lethal, and allowing that subdual damage to overcome any immunities to subdual. Undead and Constructs should be affected with Lethal damage as normal.

rferries
2017-08-20, 12:32 PM
Looks fantastic! Though I wonder about the high Int, and Dex being stone. I love Intellignet Constructs! Warforged make great characters! A suggestion I might make though: Give them Merciful to their weapons, letting them choose to do subdual damage instead of lethal, and allowing that subdual damage to overcome any immunities to subdual. Undead and Constructs should be affected with Lethal damage as normal.

High Dex and Int are because I'm lazy and it makes calculations easier if I give creatures a flat 20 for all ability scores haha.

Love the merciful idea, incorporated it in even if it doesn't quite fit the flavour. Didn't include the nonlethal immunity bypass though, they can just switch it off and deal lethal normally instead.