PDA

View Full Version : Plant Companions are Just as Loveable

80sSkeletor
2017-08-19, 08:36 PM
So first time building a Druid and have a question. This character trusts plants more than creatures so I was wondering if there is a RAW way to have a Plant Companion substitution for Animal Companions. Level 8 starting off.

Example: Having a Treant instead of a Riding Dog

DrMotives
2017-08-19, 08:47 PM
If your table uses the magazine, Dragon #357 has a plant companion as an alternate class feature on page 90. It's a bit different than just picking plant monsters instead of animals though, it's more like building a psionic construct. You start with a 1 HD medium plant, and every level you pick a new perk from a menu to increase it's HD, size, or abilities in different ways. Like shaping a bonsai or topiary, I suppose.

80sSkeletor
2017-08-19, 09:18 PM
If your table uses the magazine, Dragon #357 has a plant companion as an alternate class feature on page 90. It's a bit different than just picking plant monsters instead of animals though, it's more like building a psionic construct. You start with a 1 HD medium plant, and every level you pick a new perk from a menu to increase it's HD, size, or abilities in different ways. Like shaping a bonsai or topiary, I suppose.

Thanks mate, its perfect.

Vizzerdrix
2017-08-19, 10:58 PM
Thanks mate, its perfect.

If you get to use it, please tell us how it turns out. Very few people have used the plant companion and some first hand info would be great to have.

80sSkeletor
2017-08-20, 08:22 PM
If you get to use it, please tell us how it turns out. Very few people have used the plant companion and some first hand info would be great to have.

So far while building the companion while also using the Druid Handbook, it is superior in every way because it has its own table along with its own abilities. Combine the Natural Bond feat and it becomes more of a guardian than a companion.

Ravens_cry
2017-08-21, 01:49 AM
So far while building the companion while also using the Druid Handbook, it is superior in every way because it has its own table along with its own abilities. Combine the Natural Bond feat and it becomes more of a guardian than a companion.
A guardian . . . of a galaxy?:smallbiggrin:

Remuko
2017-08-21, 04:13 AM
A guardian . . . of a galaxy?:smallbiggrin:

Name it Groot!

Fouredged Sword
2017-08-21, 07:49 AM
Yeah, but you got to play a CN anthro raccoon.

Endarire
2017-09-03, 04:50 AM
What Plant Companion abilities are most notable? (I've not read this article yet.)

Zombulian
2017-09-03, 04:26 PM
What Plant Companion abilities are most notable? (I've not read this article yet.)

Growth Spurt: Plant size changes to large
Powerful: Increases HD by 1
Alacrity: Extra attack at highest attack bonus in a full attack
Poisonous: makes it a candidate for venomfire
Spines: Can choose to make ranged attacks with an increment of 30 feet. Poisonous and other attack alterations apply to spines as well.
Tremorsense & Blindsight: self explanatory
Blunting Mold: causes slashing and piercing attacks to do half damage after injuring plant
Sticky Sap: disarm people who injure plant

Endarire
2017-09-03, 05:17 PM
Does taking Plant Companion prevent me from taking animal companion?

DrMotives
2017-09-03, 05:38 PM
Does taking Plant Companion prevent me from taking animal companion?

Yes, it's an ACF that replaces animal companion.

Menzath
2017-09-04, 01:42 PM
If you become a beast master or some such that grants multiple animal companions, are they all plants too?
Probably not that optimized, but I'm sure there is a way to make it work.

Having a roving garden would be fun. Maybe find a way to dominate a few of those rad psionic plants as well.

Zombulian
2017-09-04, 04:02 PM
If you become a beast master or some such that grants multiple animal companions, are they all plants too?
Probably not that optimized, but I'm sure there is a way to make it work.

It's definitely not RAW but I'm sure you could work it out with a DM.

Having a roving garden would be fun. Maybe find a way to dominate a few of those rad psionic plants as well.

The plant companion is a generic creature that they list in the article. It doesn't work like AC where you pick a specific creature from a list.