PDA

View Full Version : Ghaele monstrous class help

kulosle
2017-08-19, 11:34 PM
Long story short I need items and feat ideas for this monstrous class from savage species. More details below.

So I wanted to play something fun and different. The party is a psi warrior, dragon fire adept, and a ranger. So I noticed we could use some more skills and some divine spellcasting. And the ghaele from savage species is super interesting. We are 4th level and anything in a 3.x book is useable.

So I am literally the only person with a positive int modifier so I am trying to be a skill monkey. We play with All skills as class skills. All my stats are pretty good accept cha because the adept is the face.

I don't want to be overpowered that's why I'm not playing a cleric. I just want to have fun but I have no idea what to pick up. As far as feats or items go. I think I'm grabbing dark stalker. Past that I don't know.

ZamielVanWeber
2017-08-20, 01:41 AM
Quick assessment: early on you will be pretty OP; there is no way around this. You have cleric casting except with better BAB, a ton more skill points, a decent base race, and scaling features that have some pretty awesome ones included. Once you reach level 11+ the gap between you and your team mates starts to close as your BAB, saves, and HP fall behind but they really do not have much of a chance to catch up until 15+ when your casting stops scaling.

kulosle
2017-08-20, 01:52 AM
Oh right my gm changed it so my casting only increases when I gain hit dice.

But if you can think of something else that might fit the role better I'm all ears.

ZamielVanWeber
2017-08-20, 02:30 AM
You will still be crazy low levels. If you want to avoid out shining your allies avoid focusing on your casting early on or focus on buffs. Allies love buffs. Given that you will probably have a ton of low level spells at a low caster levels so ankh of ascension will be a great grab. The two items that heal mental and physical ability damage would be nice too.

ExLibrisMortis
2017-08-20, 02:57 AM
Quick assessment: early on you will be pretty OP; [...]
You know, I never noticed just how sweet that monster class is at levels 1-5. Really, really sweet.

(also, the CR is totally borked: 5 outsider HD with full cleric casting and ten SLAs 3/day (including alter self and colour spray), SR 13, +8 net ability scores, CR 3 according to the table)

As for the feats, I'd grab whatever suits your role; as ghaele, you can do a lot of things. Darkstalker is a great stealth feat, and you have the skill points (and invisibility!) to make it work, so that's a solid pick.

With Shape Soulmeld and Open Least Chakra (requires level 6), you can pick up Trapfinding, but I'm not sure it's worth it--it depends on the campaign. You can use incarnum to get some free metamagic, but it'd take Midnight Metamagic, a metamagic feat, and probably a few more essentia, so it wouldn't come online that quickly.

As ghaele, you probably qualify for exalted feats right out of the gate, so you could pick up Nymph's Kiss, for bonus skill points (1/level) and some sundry bonuses (or even Vow of Poverty, with a flaw if possible--it's fun, but may hurt you in the long run, depending on DM generosity).

If you only gain casting when gaining HD, you should at least get up to 14+ HD by the time you hit level 20. Otherwise, you're really behind at high levels. I'd suggest granting HD at levels 1-3, 5-7, 9-11 and so forth, for 15 HD at level 20. Talk to your DM about that.

EndocrineBandit
2017-08-20, 10:19 AM
Gaele is really nice, looking at it. Even the levels you don't get a hd you get enough neat things to make up for the caster level lost.

kulosle
2017-08-21, 04:06 PM
You know now that its been pointed out it is pretty powerful at low levels. I just assumed all the monstrous classes were sub par. But hey a hidden gem. I might actually have to pick something else then. Or just play sub par I guess. We house rule out the need for the trapfinding ability. All though I do really like the essential feats ideas. I always liked that subsystem.

What are the items that heal ability damaged mentioned earlier?

ExLibrisMortis
2017-08-21, 04:13 PM
I might actually have to pick something else then.
You can always play a cursed ghaele, blind, 20' speed, or something like that. By the time break enchantment becomes available (level 9), you won't be too powerful for the party. Maybe you can get a flavorful bonus feat out of RPing a cursed PC for so long :smalltongue:.

ZamielVanWeber
2017-08-21, 07:22 PM
You know now that its been pointed out it is pretty powerful at low levels. I just assumed all the monstrous classes were sub par. But hey a hidden gem. I might actually have to pick something else then. Or just play sub par I guess. We house rule out the need for the trapfinding ability. All though I do really like the essential feats ideas. I always liked that subsystem.

What are the items that heal ability damaged mentioned earlier?

They are a mixed bag but ghaele eladrin and trumpet archon are amazing at low levels. Trumpet archon IIRC gets 3rd level cleric spells at 3, can fly, has resistances and Stat mods. Delicious. Many of the other monster are mediocre to bad and would make good choices.

Rod of Body Restoration and Orb of Mental Renewal are in the Magic Item Compendium and are fairly cheap and useful.