PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Miscellaneous Feats (Paladin auras, monster creation, weapon/armour feats)

rferries
2017-08-20, 12:38 AM
A couple feats for paladins, plus the feat that allowed those crazy wizards to create owlbears and oozes. Finally, revised weapon feats and armor feats inspired by Avianmosquito's feats (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?533408-A-score-of-feats).

Improved Divine Grace
Your divine grace now imbues you with the protection of Justice itself.

Prerequisites
Paladin level 2nd, Cha 12.

Benefits
You gain constant protection from evil and protection from chaos effects on your person. The resistance and deflection bonuses granted by these effects increases to equal your Charisma bonus. These effects cannot be dispelled and you cannot suppress them.

Improved Aura of Leadership
Your aura of leadership now also protects your allies from the forces of evil and chaos.

Prerequisites
Paladin level 3rd, Cha 14.

Benefits
The range of your aura of leadership increases to 5 feet per paladin level. Furthermore, it also acts as a magic circle against evil and a magic circle against chaos out to that range. Finally, the morale, resistance, and deflection bonuses granted by the aura each increase to equal your Charisma modifier. These effects cannot be dispelled and you cannot suppress them.

Craft Creature [Item Creation]
Your studies in crafting constructs have progressed to the point where you can now create both living and unliving creatures.

Prerequisites
Brew Potion, Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Craft Wondrous Item, caster level 7th, Craft (alchemy) 10 ranks, Heal 5 ranks, Spellcraft 10 ranks.

Benefit
Through magical experimentation you can create almost any kind of creature. Creating a creature requires 1d4 days per CR of the creature (minimum 1d4 days), access to a well-stocked alchemist's laboratory (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#alchemistsLab), and an appropriate Knowledge check (DC = creature's CR + 25) as shown on Table: Knowledge and Creature Types. You cannot create a creature with a CR greater than one-half your own.

Table: Knowledge and Creature Types

Knowledge

Creature Type

Arcana

Constructs, Dragons, Magical Beasts

Dungeoneering

Aberrations, Oozes

Local

Humanoids

Nature

Animals, Fey, Giants, Monstrous Humanoids, Plants, Vermin

Religion

Undead

The Planes

Elementals, Outsiders

Creatures you create breed true (via whatever their standard means of reproduction is) and are in every way a typical member of their race. If you wish to create an entirely new kind of creature, increase the Knowledge check DC by 10.

You have no special control over creatures you create through this feat (except as appropriate for constructs with listed crafting prerequisites as normal). They are quite capable of having starting attitudes of indifferent (or worse) towards you.

Weapon Focus [General]
Choose one type of weapon. You can also choose unarmed strike or grapple (or ray, if you are a spellcaster) as your weapon for purposes of this feat.

Prerequisites
Proficiency with selected weapon, base attack bonus +1.

Benefit
You gain a bonus on all attack rolls you make using the selected weapon equal to one-fifth your base attack bonus (minimum +1).

You may treat the weapon as whatever type or category of weapon would be most advantageous to you (i.e. as a light weapon for the purpose of the Weapon Finesse feat, as a special monk weapon for the purpose of the flurry of blows class feature,etc.).

Special
You can gain this feat multiple times. Its effects do not stack. Each time you take the feat, it applies to a new type of weapon.

A fighter may select Weapon Focus as one of his fighter bonus feats. He must have Weapon Focus with a weapon to gain the Weapon Specialization feat for that weapon.

Weapon Specialization [General]
Choose one type of weapon for which you have already selected the Weapon Focus feat. You can also choose unarmed strike or grapple as your weapon for purposes of this feat. You deal extra damage when using this weapon.

Prerequisites
Proficiency with selected weapon, Weapon Focus with selected weapon, fighter level 4th.

Benefit
Increase the damage (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsterFeats.htm#improvedNaturalAttack) of the selected weapon by a number of steps equal to one-fifth your base attack bonus (minimum one step).

Special
You can gain this feat multiple times. Its effects do not stack. Each time you take the feat, it applies to a new type of weapon.

A fighter may select Weapon Specialization as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Armor Focus [General]
Choose one type of armour or shield (including the shield from the shield spell and similar effects). You can also choose natural armour, "force armour" (e.g. that created by the mage armour spell or bracers of armour), or any other type of armour bonus (e.g. deflection, dodge, etc.) as your armour for the purposes of this feat.

Prerequisites
Proficiency with selected armour, base attack bonus +1.

Benefit
The bonus to your Armour Class granted by your selected armour increases by an amount equal to one-fifth your base attack bonus (minimum +1).

You ignore the armor check penalty and arcane spell failure chance of the selected armour.

Special
You can gain this feat multiple times. Its effects do not stack. Each time you take the feat, it applies to a new type of armour.

A fighter may select Armour Focus as one of his fighter bonus feats. He must have Armour Focus with a type of armour to gain the Armour Specialization feat for that armour.

Armour Specialization [General]
Choose one type of armour for which you have already selected the Armour Focus feat. You are incredibly resistant to damage while benefiting from this armour.

Prerequisites
Proficiency with selected armour, Armour Focus with selected armour, fighter level 4th.

Benefit
While you have a bonus to your Armour Class from the selected armour, you gain hardness (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/exploration.htm#hardness) equal to one-fifth your base attack bonus. This hardness stacks with any hardness, damage reduction, and energy resistance you possess from other sources.

The armour bonus from your selected armour applies against touch attacks, if it didn't already.

Special
You can gain this feat multiple times. Its effects do not stack. Each time you take the feat, it applies to a new type of armour.

A fighter may select Armour Specialization as one of his fighter bonus feats.

AOKost
2017-08-20, 06:47 AM
I really love these modifications to these feats, though I would change the Weapon Specialization Fighter level 4 requirement to just BAB +4... I know it's always been there, but it's not something I enforce in my games.

Darth Ultron
2017-08-20, 11:04 AM
Improved Divine Grace
Prerequisites
Paladin level 2nd, Cha 12.
Benefits
You gain constant protection from evil and protection from chaos effects on your person. The resistance and deflection bonuses granted by these effects increases to equal your Charisma bonus. These effects cannot be dispelled and you cannot suppress them.

This is not exactly ''Improved Divine Grace'', it's a bit more like ''Divine Protection''.

Two permanent spell effects at 2nd level feels like a bit much. This needs to go up a couple levels, like to 5th at least and maybe like Cha 15 at least.

Craft Creature [Item Creation]
Your studies in crafting constructs have progressed to the point where you can now create both living and unliving creatures.

Balance wise, you can't really use CR or a skill check to balance it. D&D just has way, way too much silly brokenness in it. And you really don't want players opening ''book x'' and finding a poorly written, broken monster with a broken powerful ability, but like CR 2, and they having them mass produce it.

As written a say 10th level caster could make endless Noble Djinn and get three wishes every time. That is three wish spells, for a pathetically low CR 8, so only ''DC 33''. And a 10th level caster will have at least +20 to a knowledge check (13 ranks, 5 ability, 2 item) and that does not even count all skill boosts. Even just one +5 bonus magic item is easy, plus lots of other feats and things. Plus spells.

In my own game a 'piece' of a creature is needed for polymoroth and summoning spells...and I think that would work great here. Also with the rule that a single 'body' can only ever be used once, so annoying spellcasters can't just get one body, scrape off a hair or skin cell and ''uez the body 4Ever!''.

Armor Focus [General]
Choose one type of armour or shield (including the shield from the shield spell and similar effects). You can also choose natural armour, "force armour" (e.g. that created by the mage armour spell or bracers of armour), or any other type of armour bonus (e.g. deflection, dodge, etc.) as your armour for the purposes of this feat.

Prerequisites
Proficiency with selected armour, base attack bonus +1.

Um, error? A spellcaster is not ''proficient'' with say the Shield spell or the Mage Armor spell, right? so that would mean they can't take this feat? And no creature is ''proficient'' in natural armor, right?

You might just need to drop the ''proficiency''.

You ignore the armor check penalty and arcane spell failure chance of the selected armour.

All the magic armor stuff is good enough...and with one feat you want to add more of a bonus and ignore all penalties? In the rules now a spellcaster can have a huge high AC, and you'd add more AC and let them wear full plate? Way over kill.

You can kida tell a feat is ''too good'' if every single character and monster and anyone in the game has to take the feat to stay alive.

rferries
2017-08-20, 12:55 PM
I really love these modifications to these feats, though I would change the Weapon Specialization Fighter level 4 requirement to just BAB +4... I know it's always been there, but it's not something I enforce in my games.

Yeah I totally get it, but the fighters need SOME sort of advantage over other classes :D

This is not exactly ''Improved Divine Grace'', it's a bit more like ''Divine Protection''.

Two permanent spell effects at 2nd level feels like a bit much. This needs to go up a couple levels, like to 5th at least and maybe like Cha 15 at least.

Balance wise, you can't really use CR or a skill check to balance it. D&D just has way, way too much silly brokenness in it. And you really don't want players opening ''book x'' and finding a poorly written, broken monster with a broken powerful ability, but like CR 2, and they having them mass produce it.

As written a say 10th level caster could make endless Noble Djinn and get three wishes every time. That is three wish spells, for a pathetically low CR 8, so only ''DC 33''. And a 10th level caster will have at least +20 to a knowledge check (13 ranks, 5 ability, 2 item) and that does not even count all skill boosts. Even just one +5 bonus magic item is easy, plus lots of other feats and things. Plus spells.

In my own game a 'piece' of a creature is needed for polymoroth and summoning spells...and I think that would work great here. Also with the rule that a single 'body' can only ever be used once, so annoying spellcasters can't just get one body, scrape off a hair or skin cell and ''uez the body 4Ever!''.

Um, error? A spellcaster is not ''proficient'' with say the Shield spell or the Mage Armor spell, right? so that would mean they can't take this feat? And no creature is ''proficient'' in natural armor, right?

You might just need to drop the ''proficiency''.

All the magic armor stuff is good enough...and with one feat you want to add more of a bonus and ignore all penalties? In the rules now a spellcaster can have a huge high AC, and you'd add more AC and let them wear full plate? Way over kill.

You can kida tell a feat is ''too good'' if every single character and monster and anyone in the game has to take the feat to stay alive.

1. Yes apologies for the uninspired names. Edited now and increased prerequisites.

2. I included the "creature is possibly hostile" clause to prevent that kind of abuse. The DM should feel free to throw the book at the players if they're getting way more returns on the feat than should be allowed. Note also that a noble djinn is under no special compulsion to grant wishes to its creator (and in fact due to the "can only create creatures of one-half your CR clause" you have to be a 16th-level caster to create one).

3. The body piece is a great bit of flavour but the idea was to be able to create entirel new creatures (just as owlbears, oozes etc were created in the past by wizards), ones that wouldn't have pre-exisitng body parts to grow clones from.

4. I felt it could be assumed that you're proficient with spell armours and natural armour, but you're right in that should be explicitly spelled out. Fixed...you're also right in that it's a clumsy prerequisite, but I wanted to avoid subsuming the Armour Proficiency feats too (this way a wizard can't get free ACF 0% full plate with one feat).

5. With that said, clerics and divine casters effectively already have free ACF 0%. A wizard in full plate still has to deal with encumbrance and low hp, I don't think this feat ultimately makes a huge difference in power levels between classes (it certainly helps squishy wizards survive the first few levels of play though!). For everyone else, it's basically just +4 AC by 20th level.

Thanks for the feedback guys!