PDA

View Full Version : Planning a build with a Gauntlet of Storm Giant's Strength in Hand.

ArchRain
2017-08-20, 03:22 AM
So simple enough. You're in a situation where you're encouraged to optimize ruthlessly, a stale meta of mostly single boss monsters that are usually demons and you're playing entirely for late game. You want to make a character that will be starting with a ludicrous amount of strength so you can do whatever you want with point buy. RAW, SCAG, Volos and eventually Xanathars are on the table.

I was thinking either Vengeance Paladin 16 Champion 4, Straight Vengeance Pali or Battlemaster 20. For Paladin I thought the wisest point buy array was 8 Str, 14 Dex, 16 Con, 16 CHA 12 Wis 8 Int with Var Human with Resilience Con as a starting Feat eventually picking up 20 CHA, Great Weapon, Polearm Master and maybe Sentinel to round out your feat set. This seemed like the best setups to DPS single targets and abuse a ludicrous strength.

Does anyone think that there are other options that can compete or have any feelings regarding if multiclassing is viable here and if so how it should be employed? Is Vengeance the most viable Oath to abuse this sort of boon or am I overlooking anything? I know some people are big advocates of Sorcadins or Warlock Paladins but I believe and am willing to discuss it that if you start with an absurd strength the majority of your focus and action economy should be on smacking folks. This is certainly not seeking a versatile or interesting charcter, just someone really really good at slapping Demons.

DarkKnightJin
2017-08-20, 11:17 PM
You'll have to talk it over with the DM, but my interpretation of RAW is that you need the baseline stats shown in the table in Chapter 6 of the PHB to be able to multiclass into or out of Paladin.

So, unless you're shooting for a singleclass Dexadin of a Fighter, you'd need to swap your Dex and Str baselines around.

Beyond that, it sounds like a pretty reasonable idea to go with Vengeance for some extra oomph and sticking power with the level 7 class trait.