PDA

View Full Version : Non expensive cybernetics? You folks got any suggestions?

Ken Murikumo
2017-08-20, 12:59 PM
Running a homebrew setting for my group (pathfinder + most 3.5 material). It's a future fantasy (think star wars with more magic and elves) and i wrote up nearly 100 new items, from guns and armor with fallout 4 style mods, to new grenades and other neat gadgets. The core idea with technology is that science and magic fused to create cheaper (and less effective) items that dont really invalidate true magic items. It becomes an affordable boost for lower level characters, without having to spend 2 or 3 thousand on situational items, and adds more bite to the common soldier/mercenary.

My players asked for cybernetics and im trying to find some preexisting material to use or modify. I found the Pathfinder cybertech stuff, but was not moved by it; it was expensive and pretty dull. I also dug through the d20 modern & future stuff and found nothing.

You folks got any suggestion, or hell, even some homebrew stuff i could use?

flappeercraft
2017-08-20, 01:07 PM
Maybe some implants that enhance you? Examples: Cybernetic eyes which allow rerolls on saves vs Illusions, Cybernetic arm enhancements which give a +2 enhancement bonus on strength or Cybernetic leg enhancements which give you a +10 enhancement bonus to land speed.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-08-20, 01:41 PM
For RAW, Soulmelds seem like a decent starting point. Work up a tradeoff where you get a few more/more powerful melds in place of the ability to pick new ones each day and you should have something workable. Shuffling essentia around is kind of like rerouting power, and the multiclass friendly nature of the subsystem works too. You could even tweak the Totemist to be a cyborg and leave the Incarnate as-is as an artificer type.

For homebrew, the Xenoalchemist is a neat graft-based class that should need only minor refluffing. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?205119-Must-Affix-Everything-to-Everything!-(Grafts-That-Don-t-Make-Me-Cry-Myself-To-Sleep)

DarkSoul
2017-08-20, 04:36 PM
Are you just looking for ideas to convert? If so, look for the Cyberpunk 2.0.2.0 rulebook, and the Chromebooks, vols. 1-4. Obviously since they're a completely different game system you're going to have to homebrew a lot of stats, but those should give you plenty of inspiration.

I've never been a fan of it, but Shadowrun is in the same vein, but it adds magic and fantasy races to a cyberpunk world. You could look up some of their cybernetics for inspiration as well.

ExLibrisMortis
2017-08-20, 04:46 PM
Grafts and warforged components are basically cybernetics already. Symbionts are different, but have really cool features, so they're worth looking at.

Any magic item can be made as warforged component at no additional cost, so that includes cheap ones, but you need to be a warforged to use them. If you make the basic ability to use components available for a certain price, the rest will follow. Maybe you can do something along the lines of: "Your CL 8 neural lace can only connect and support components up to CL 8, upgrade to our Premium Package to get access to higher caster levels".

animewatcha
2017-08-21, 02:42 AM
There was a dragon magazine article about a technopath monk or something. Pretty much give up still mind and 6th bonus feat and you get to stun and crity constructs. Around that was a bunch of things that can be refluffed as cybernetics.

Pleh
2017-08-21, 04:52 AM
There's the Half Golem template as well as the Renegade Mastermaker (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?482653-Being-a-Steampunk-Magitek-Cyborg-A-Renegade-Mastermaker-Handbook).

CIDE
2017-08-21, 05:10 AM
Running a homebrew setting for my group (pathfinder + most 3.5 material). It's a future fantasy (think star wars with more magic and elves) and i wrote up nearly 100 new items, from guns and armor with fallout 4 style mods, to new grenades and other neat gadgets. The core idea with technology is that science and magic fused to create cheaper (and less effective) items that dont really invalidate true magic items. It becomes an affordable boost for lower level characters, without having to spend 2 or 3 thousand on situational items, and adds more bite to the common soldier/mercenary.

My players asked for cybernetics and im trying to find some preexisting material to use or modify. I found the Pathfinder cybertech stuff, but was not moved by it; it was expensive and pretty dull. I also dug through the d20 modern & future stuff and found nothing.

You folks got any suggestion, or hell, even some homebrew stuff i could use?

If you went through d20 modern and future and found nothing you're looking in all the wrong places. There's an entire book dedicated to cybernetics in d20 future. It includes magitech stuff as well.

Ken Murikumo
2017-08-21, 11:30 AM
If you went through d20 modern and future and found nothing you're looking in all the wrong places. There's an entire book dedicated to cybernetics in d20 future. It includes magitech stuff as well.

And that book would be...?

lightningcat
2017-08-21, 02:20 PM
And that book would be...?

d20 Cyberscape

There is also OGL Cybernet, Blood & Circuits, Blood & Circuits Cybernetics, and a lot of stuff from Skortched Urf' Studios, Devil's Workshop, and Otherverse Games also cover cybernetics.