PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Possibly starting a new AL campaign in September

ZorroGames
2017-08-20, 01:59 PM
Thought about an Arcana Cleric (Cleric is favorite class by a small edge) but if we need new characters I am also considering also my second favorite class - Fighter - because straight Martials are much less prevalent locally IME so far.

(Watch a Paladin, a Barbarian, and a Battlemaster show up next month... :smallwink: just because of Murphy)

So I am pretty much serious on one of these two builds and will invite comments.

Remember I am not an extreme optimizer if it takes from the flavor type player.

Roles: Wall for casters do their thing in safety; Deal damage while being the wall of stone character; kill Evil., as a hobby.

First Build:

Variant Human. Champion.

Point buy.

ST 15 (first level feat will be HAM to pump ST to 16, and add survivalability at low levels)
DE 10
CO 15+1
IN 8
WI 13+1 (saves)
CH 10

Defense Fighting Style ("The Wall")
Level 4 - Tough Feat

Level 6 - +2 ST (Damage)

Level 8 - GWM buy Maul, (inspired by the oil and water thread over Great Sword original thoughts,) put shield over my back/shoulder if I need it in the future.

Level 10 second Fighting style pick GWF for flavor?

Thinking the campaign may peak at level 10 or 11 given chit chat from potential players.

Level 12 Savage Attacker if campaign goes this far

14 +2 ST (damage)

16 +2 CO

19 +2 CO

Second Build being considered.

Mountain Dwarf Champion. I have "the figure" with Halberd and Chain mail. Or another with BA in chain.

ST 14+2
CO 14+2
DE 10
IN 10
WI 13
CH 12

Fighting style Defense or GWF? See Level 10 below. Almost always used axe/sword/flail and board in past for Dwarf Fighters. Hmm.

Level 4 Tough
Level 6 +2 ST
Level 8 +2 Co
Level 10 second fighting style PAM or Duelling based on how the game is progressing/the figure I am using.
Level 12 if we get there Savage Attacker.
Level 14 +2 ST
Level 16 +2 CO
Level 19 TBD?

ZorroGames
2017-08-20, 02:04 PM
Sorry for the "word wall" guys and gals.

bid
2017-08-20, 02:37 PM
Savage attacker is bad.

On average, it adds +1 damage to a 1d8 weapon, no better than a Str ASI. In fact worse because your to-hit is lower.

I can see a case for half-orcs: maul and Str ASI is about as good as greataxe and savage attacker. Outside of that specific case, reaching Str20 has priority.

Con ASI at level 4 would give you 44 hp, picking tough over ASI would add 4 more. With the ridiculous damage deduction of HAM, you'll do much better with shield master to eliminate magic damage.

ZorroGames
2017-08-20, 08:27 PM
Savage attacker is bad.

On average, it adds +1 damage to a 1d8 weapon, no better than a Str ASI. In fact worse because your to-hit is lower.

I can see a case for half-orcs: maul and Str ASI is about as good as greataxe and savage attacker. Outside of that specific case, reaching Str20 has priority.

Con ASI at level 4 would give you 44 hp, picking tough over ASI would add 4 more. With the ridiculous damage deduction of HAM, you'll do much better with shield master to eliminate magic damage.

I saw Variant Human and Mountain dwarf in my OP, no mention of Half-Orc. Simply intentionally limiting my races. Party will - based on discussions - almost certainly be multiple elf/half-elf (sigh) and maybe a single Tiefling besides my Human or Dwarf. Only Dragon born leave me colder than half-orc as a PC.

I really wonder if "...reaching Str20 has priority... " trumps everything else for the first 8 levels, other than your suggested boost to CO at level 4?

bid
2017-08-20, 08:46 PM
I really wonder if "...reaching Str20 has priority... " trumps everything else for the first 8 levels, other than your suggested boost to CO at level 4?
The meaning is more: don't even think of savage attack until you reach Str20.

Con ASI is more for RP flavor than anything. I feel shield master would do a better "wall" concept at level 4. So would sentinel.

level 1 HAM
level 4 shield master
level 6 Str18
level 8 sentinel
level 12 Con18

As champion tank, you should use defense and dueling styles.

ZorroGames
2017-08-20, 09:05 PM
The meaning is more: don't even think of savage attack until you reach Str20.

Con ASI is more for RP flavor than anything. I feel shield master would do a better "wall" concept at level 4. So would sentinel.

level 1 HAM
level 4 shield master
level 6 Str18
level 8 sentinel
level 12 Con18

As champion tank, you should use defense and dueling styles.
Got it.

Gracias!

Have to keep this in mind as we progress.

Draco4472
2017-08-20, 09:08 PM
I heard from someone who play tested Tomb of Annihilation that Heavy Armor and a low Dexterity would be a burden for this campaign due to many traps and the climate of the jungle being humid.