PDA

View Full Version : Optimization If tower shield is one-handed...

Goaty14
2017-08-20, 08:00 PM
... Then couldn't you increase it to a large tower shield, but now using it as a two-handed weapon "slot", as opposed to one hand?
Yes, I know you technically couldn't make attacks with it (unless you're a monk, because monks are never considered unarmed), but is it possible in TO to wield the broad side of a barn as a shield?

Fouredged Sword
2017-08-20, 08:04 PM
As a DM I would let you, but only in the sense that it is a large object, but in RAW a tower shield isn't a weapon. In practice, the handles would be 6-7ft in the air and you wouldn't be able to hold it in a way that covers anything.

Crake
2017-08-20, 08:35 PM
Can you explain what benefit you would imagine a large tower shield would actually grant you over a medium one? A large tower shield gives the same AC benefit, and you can still use the cover ability either way, so there's nothing about having a larger one that would actually do anything for you.

Necroticplague
2017-08-20, 08:39 PM
Can you explain what benefit you would imagine a large tower shield would actually grant you over a medium one? A large tower shield gives the same AC benefit, and you can still use the cover ability either way, so there's nothing about having a larger one that would actually do anything for you.

Well, since you can't shield bash with it, you need to use it as an improvised weapon. Bigger shields are heavier, and thus make more damaging improvised weapons.

Of course, for a Medium character, a Medium Tower Shield is already a two-handed improvised weapon (as per CWar's rules), so we're right pack to not having a reason to use a bigger one, barring Monkey Grip, Strongarm Bracers, or Powerful Build.

ryu
2017-08-20, 09:13 PM
Well, since you can't shield bash with it, you need to use it as an improvised weapon. Bigger shields are heavier, and thus make more damaging improvised weapons.

Of course, for a Medium character, a Medium Tower Shield is already a two-handed improvised weapon (as per CWar's rules), so we're right pack to not having a reason to use a bigger one, barring Monkey Grip, Strongarm Bracers, or Powerful Build.

Maybe try to final a larger area of cover such that you can act as a moving anti-projectile wall even to small area attacks like fireball? I mean probably not RAW but a bigger shield makes sense to provide cover to a larger area.

Crake
2017-08-20, 11:13 PM
Maybe try to final a larger area of cover such that you can act as a moving anti-projectile wall even to small area attacks like fireball? I mean probably not RAW but a bigger shield makes sense to provide cover to a larger area.

Yeah, though this is getting into ad hoc ruling territory, and at that point you may as well just carry around a table and call it a day (something we actually did in one of our games when we were breaking out of a prison :smalltongue:). Also, fireball is a spread, meaning it goes around corners, so you'd need a really big chunk of wood to be able to block against a fireball. It would need to be at least 10x10 to actually have any effect on the fireball's spread.

Goaty14
2017-08-20, 11:43 PM

That was exactly the idea.
I was thinking of it to like a concept that if you carry around a wall sized large enough, then it would make a good tank, because enemies would have it harder time getting around you. (Ignoring sunder rules of course ;) )

ryu
2017-08-21, 12:50 AM
Yeah, though this is getting into ad hoc ruling territory, and at that point you may as well just carry around a table and call it a day (something we actually did in one of our games when we were breaking out of a prison :smalltongue:). Also, fireball is a spread, meaning it goes around corners, so you'd need a really big chunk of wood to be able to block against a fireball. It would need to be at least 10x10 to actually have any effect on the fireball's spread.

I mean... That's kinda what I was gettin' at? If we're going to do this the only proper method is go big or go home.

animewatcha
2017-08-21, 02:39 AM
What about "Improvised shield bash" with tower shield?

Calthropstu
2017-08-21, 10:30 AM

I just imagined a scenario where an obnoxiously overmuscled guy takes two tower shields and slams them together with someone in between them.

daremetoidareyo
2017-08-21, 11:15 AM
There is a first level spell called shieldbearer that is amazing with a tower shield. Make it out of nephelium (sunless citadel p.32) so you can see through it and hit your foes with line of sight spells from behind cover.