PDA

View Full Version : Haley's HUGE Secret

Ertier
2007-08-10, 03:45 PM
Way back in 309, haley says (in cryptospeak), I'm not what you would like to call a- (or something like that). I only discovered that today when I was translating. What does she mean??? What is she really????:smalleek:

Spiryt
2007-08-10, 03:57 PM
There were plenty of disscusions. This thread will probably become another one.

Here are few:

Haley's secret 1 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34849&highlight=Haley%27s+secret)
Haley's secret 2 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36878&highlight=Haley%27s+secret)

Haley's secret 3 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30893&highlight=Haley%27s+secret)

The Extinguisher
2007-08-10, 04:37 PM
The biggest theory is that she's not a human but half-something.
The biggest theories from that is she is either a aasimar or a tiefling.

Aasimar because it makes her more of Sabine's opposite. Plus that when she says she is not good enough because she can't live up to her heritage.

Tiefling because it makes her more connected to Sabine while still being an opposite. Also, it makes her "I'm not good enough" very obvious.

Of course, we're talking about distant relatives, not "My father was half-celestial so I'm an aasimar" stuff.

Ithekro
2007-08-10, 04:57 PM
I like the bloodline's theory myself...but most of the others are either could be, or just funny.

ThorFluff
2007-08-10, 05:01 PM
I'm going for the aasimir theory just because the Celestial Xykon kills looks just like her ;)

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-08-10, 05:49 PM
I chased this one down once, let me just give the summary:

She is Gerard Draketooth's granddaughter. Based on his name, Girard is probably part dragon (copper, most likely, chaotic good, but still greedy). Which means Haley has the same blood.

My proof? Look at Girard's picture, then gender-bent Haley. Except for the facial tattoo, they are nearly identical.

I was told I had too much free time on my hands... Meh. It was a series of lucky links that tied everything together.

Ithekro
2007-08-10, 06:11 PM
Hmmm...
I like the bloodline route because it doesn't really do very much for Haley but can be useful in small areas. Even a Minor Celestial bloodline would give her a bonus to Sense Motive which she seems the have fairly high (verses the rest of the Order) along with Alertness (She did notice Miko coming to open the jail door when no one else did) Wisdom bonus...that is hard to guess at. Protection from evil and the ability to smite evil would be amusing coming from Haley.

On the other had if we take your dragon route: Copper bloodline would get her a Preform checks bonus, Gold would get her Sense Motive again, while Brass gets her Gather Information bonus (which may or may not work). However A Red Dragon bloodline gets Haley a Bluff bonus, which she's maxed out in. Also maybe fire resistance (she just thinks it is all evasion), and extra strength, enough to help carry Roy. I don't know if she fits any of these characteristics.

Also it doesn't go into all the half-race or some type of monster race, but also could only alter her class slightly.

It may be absolutely nothing. But there are hints that it is something. Both from her list of secrets and a little of the commentary from Dungeon Crawlin' Fools about her and Sabrine.

WuanAnselm
2007-08-10, 07:16 PM
Look at her expression in the the penultimate panel (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0324.html)

She's pregnant perhaps :smalltongue: ? (or taking cure disease potions...)

RAGE KING!
2007-08-10, 07:43 PM
*sigh*

yay, thats not enough characters so i get to type this! ROCK ON!

sparkey477
2007-08-10, 08:15 PM
-heterosexual. 2 speach bubbles before, she says she "kissed a girl once", and 1 before, she says "Okay, Okay, more than once". Plus, on of her personalities is "haley's bisexuality".that, or she is thog's mother

Cade Shadow
2007-08-10, 08:33 PM
-heterosexual. 2 speach bubbles before, she says she "kissed a girl once", and 1 before, she says "Okay, Okay, more than once". Plus, on of her personalities is "haley's bisexuality".that, or she is thog's mother

her latent bisexuality. latent meaning hidden.

tommygunn
2007-08-10, 09:31 PM
where is a place where i can see the translations?

David Argall
2007-08-10, 10:49 PM
The answer is whatever proves useful to the plot. But it is most unlikely to be that she has celestial ancestry, or any non-human ancestry for that matter. Properly fantasy hero are "human". That counts elves, dwarves, etc [tho generally only as lesser heros], but not something exotic. The strange ancestry is for superheros and sometimes SF.

PlasticSoldier
2007-08-10, 10:53 PM
where is a place where i can see the translations?

Wikipedia has a translation i think it might be in wikiquote but i know they have one.

NullAshton
2007-08-10, 11:03 PM
You know, it's kind of impossible for Haley to be an aasimar.

You know, since Rich doesn't use non-core material and all. Only SRD stuff and homebrew, with the occasional dip into the monster manual for funny jokes with lawyers.

Kish
2007-08-10, 11:15 PM
All the "she's not really human" stuff seems to be the most popular theory, yes, but I think "a good person" is far more likely to be the end of that sentence.

Grey Watcher
2007-08-10, 11:48 PM

I've never liked this theory. It implies that all the secrets she's divulging are connected to each other. Apparently, whatever this is, it's much more important to her than having experiment with girls. By that logic, cheating at solitaire is a syptom of lesbianism.

But yeah, theories range from her not being human, to her not being a natural redhead. Who can say?

lokycat
2007-08-11, 12:02 AM

You know, since Rich doesn't use non-core material and all. Only SRD stuff and homebrew, with the occasional dip into the monster manual for funny jokes with lawyers.

In the Origins there is a phyonic character so if there is a Phyon way cant there be an Aasimar?:smallconfused:
Aasimars and Tieflings are as "core" as you can get. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ps/20041202a):smallamused:
Aasimars and Tieflings have been around from the original TSR days and they were the first option for Lv Adjustment races available as PCs for 3erd Ed.:smallannoyed:

factotum
2007-08-11, 01:59 AM
She is Gerard Draketooth's granddaughter. Based on his name, Girard is probably part dragon (copper, most likely, chaotic good, but still greedy). Which means Haley has the same blood.

My proof? Look at Girard's picture, then gender-bent Haley. Except for the facial tattoo, they are nearly identical.

I don't see it myself. We already know that different people can look very similar when drawn in Rich's style--as the thread about the green-haired woman on the boat being Haley proves.

Fawkes
2007-08-11, 11:16 AM
By that logic, cheating at solitaire is a syptom of lesbianism.

But... I cheat at solitaire...:smalleek:

Acyberexile
2007-08-11, 11:17 AM
The celestial theory is pretty valid actually, but with one major flaw. There is already a reason for Haley to be counter-stereotype, she's collecting money for a good cause (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0131.html) unlike other rogues.

Kish
2007-08-11, 11:26 AM
The celestial theory is pretty valid actually, but with one major flaw. There is already a reason for Haley to be counter-stereotype, she's collecting money for a good cause (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0131.html) unlike other rogues.
*sigh*

Not "unlike other rogues." There is no requirement for a rogue to be greedy, or to be a thief. Haley is closer to being a stereotypical member of her class than Roy or Belkar, if perhaps not quite as close as the other three.

Max_Sinister
2007-08-11, 11:41 AM
Well, Sabine already suspected that Haley might be a dyejob. :smallwink:

David Argall
2007-08-11, 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Watcher
By that logic, cheating at solitaire is a syptom of lesbianism.

But... I cheat at solitaire...:smalleek:

And I bet you would like to be in bed with a hot chick too.

And since lesbians want to be in bed with a hot chick...

We convinct you, boy, of being a lesbian.

...Maybe not an airtight case, but as good as some of the logic around here anyway.

I'm da Rogue!
2007-08-11, 06:31 PM
We convinct you, boy, of being a lesbian.

Shall we crucify him or burn him alive, sir?

DreadSpoon
2007-08-11, 06:46 PM
you know, since Rich doesn't use non-core material and all.

Uh, sure he doesn't. The OotS gods aren't the SRD deities. Elan's prestige class isn't in any published book that I know of, much less in the SRD. The snarl-cage world doesn't precisely mesh with the standard D&D cosmology. I could go on. Rich does not at all limit himself only to SRD material.

Gilthans
2007-08-11, 07:39 PM
I kinda like the part-dragon-descendant-of-Girard theory. It would fit well into 'needlessly complicated' :smallsmile:
Also, because she admits she is a half dragon herself (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0131.html).

:smalltongue:

SteveMB
2007-08-11, 07:46 PM
Uh, sure he doesn't. The OotS gods aren't the SRD deities. Elan's prestige class isn't in any published book that I know of, much less in the SRD. The snarl-cage world doesn't precisely mesh with the standard D&D cosmology. I could go on. Rich does not at all limit himself only to SRD material.

I think the meaning is that Rich doesn't use existing non-SRD D&D-related material (except for brief snippets as a setup to a "copyright violation" joke, which is a textbook example of fair use for the purpose of parody).

RAGE KING!
2007-08-11, 07:56 PM
true, but he doesnt use non-core PUBLISHED material at all.

he uses homebrew.

kpenguin
2007-08-11, 08:02 PM
true, but he doesnt use non-core PUBLISHED material at all.

Xykon's three brothers are all non-core published undead.

Douglas
2007-08-11, 08:03 PM
Aasimar and Tieflings are in the Monster Manual and the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/planetouched.htm). They are indisputably core.

Thanatos 51-50
2007-08-11, 08:12 PM
All the "she's not really human" stuff seems to be the most popular theory, yes, but I think "a good person" is far more likely to be the end of that sentence.

Darn you, Kish, for posting this before I did.

lokycat
2007-08-11, 10:19 PM
You know, since Rich doesn't use non-core material and all.

Xykon's three brothers are all non-core published undead.

Aasimar and Tieflings are in the Monster Manual and the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/planetouched.htm). They are indisputably core.

In the end The Giant is the author, he can (and prob will) put anything he wants in the comic, core or non-core if it furthers the story and is funny.:smallbiggrin:

Im betting on some half breed/outsider blood driven plot in the future...BUT, could it be the end of the sentence could have been just something simple like..."I haven't been honest"?
She still has not told ANYONE about the ransom and her dad being in danger.
Hell...it has not come up ever since she lost her voice, when she dos settle down and remembers she lost all the ransom gold is going to hit her like a ton of bricks.:smalleek:

Moik
2007-08-11, 10:29 PM
Haley just saved alot on car insurance.[/thread]

Acyberexile
2007-08-12, 02:19 AM
*sigh*

Not "unlike other rogues." There is no requirement for a rogue to be greedy, or to be a thief. Haley is closer to being a stereotypical member of her class than Roy or Belkar, if perhaps not quite as close as the other three.

I apologize for that misunderstanding, I was thinking in my own native language so I was not able to put it right in English. What I meant was, the stereotype for rogues includes being greedy.

I'm da Rogue!
2007-08-12, 11:07 AM
...she admits she is a half dragon herself (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0131.html).

:smalltongue:

:smalleek: Never noticed that before. Haley joking about being a half-dragon! D'you think Rich is giving the truth right there, for everyone to see, yet hidden as a joke?

isocum
2007-08-12, 01:57 PM
if I remember correctly there was an argument about haley using longbow, which points she may be an aasimar? can dragon blood cover that?

I'm da Rogue!
2007-08-12, 02:12 PM
if I remember correctly there was an argument about haley using longbow, which points she may be an aasimar? can dragon blood cover that?

O_o Haley uses a LONGbow? I thought a longbow is supposed to be longer than that.

And I used the word "long" 3 times.

Spiryt
2007-08-12, 02:20 PM
O_o Haley uses a LONGbow? I thought a longbow is supposed to be longer than that.

And I used the word "long" 3 times.

Yeah she used lonbow here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0454.html)

if I remember correctly there was an argument about haley using longbow, which points she may be an aasimar?

However I still don't know what aasimars have to do with longbows.:smallconfused:

lord_khaine
2007-08-12, 02:25 PM
asimars gets a racial martial weapon proficiency.

and the halfdragon thing isnt likely, on the reason that half dragons really doesnt look like humans, for a start they have claws, fangs and scales.

I'm da Rogue!
2007-08-12, 02:26 PM
Then Rich should've drawn it longer.

Longbows are longer than a man's height

Spiryt
2007-08-12, 02:28 PM
asimars gets a racial martial weapon proficiency.

Well, here here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/planetouched.htm) there 's nuthin about that.

But if they do, "Aasimar theory" looks little more probable.
Still I don't think so.

Spiryt
2007-08-12, 02:35 PM
Then Rich should've drawn it longer.

Longbows are longer than a man's height

It was meant as shortbow first, probable, but 454 strip needed longer range - so # kapoof #.

Still your statement is quite imprecise. Welch longbows were around 6 feet or even longer, but with so many bows which can be surely treated as "long" in so many cultures... It's pretty possible that Haley has just kinda short longbow (although it sounds like oxymoron :smallbiggrin: )

And "man's height" - you know, healthy human males can be anywhere from 160 to 210cm tall so this statement basically means nothing :smallbiggrin:

I'm da Rogue!
2007-08-12, 02:57 PM
I mean in general. Come on, no need to complicate things.
Maybe it's a longbow-of the short ones, just like u said.

Spiryt
2007-08-12, 03:20 PM
I mean in general. Come on, no need to complicate things.
Maybe it's a longbow-of the short ones, just like u said.

"Secret" topic is anyway beaten to death - so little bows intermission was kinda refreshing :smallbiggrin:

Anyway, I don't recall Aasimars having martial weapon profinency :smallconfused: