PDA

View Full Version : How do I play out Halflings?

CrackedChair
2017-08-20, 10:43 PM
So I had plans to make a Halfling Fighter, but I don't... well, don't think I can really play out being 3 feet tall.

I'd imagine tasks for an ordinary human would be rather hard for halflings due to the height difference, but what should I keep in mind, roleplay wise?

Koo Rehtorb
2017-08-20, 11:32 PM
Remember that people's crotches are at perfect headbutt height.

Jay R
2017-08-21, 08:09 AM
Focus on sneaking, hiding, and being inconspicuous.

And I strong urge you to go re-read The Hobbit, focusing on Bilbo escaping goblins, distracting spiders, etc.

In Lord of the Rings, focus on Sam at Cirith Ungol, but also on Gollum when he's hunting or fighting. And note that Merry at the Pelennor field and Pippin at the Black Gate do well by not being obvious targets.

Lacco
2017-08-23, 03:26 AM
If you want to stay true to the original source:

Mention food often.

Make growling sounds and complain about empty stomach.

Mention food again.

Is it time for brunch, guys?

Collect shiny objects.

Prepare lots of riddles. Start improvised riddle contests.

Be wary of dwarves and magicians. These always try to get you out of your comfortable hole.

To prepare for the role, walk around barefooted for a day (try not to step on any broken glass or sharp rocks you'll find out WHY they are so light-footed and perceptive!). If you want, glue some "hairy" fabric on the soles of your feet.

Be almost cowardly if you can evade encounters. However, once someone threatens the party, jump in his face and utterly destroy him.

If you fight ogre (and higher), don't just say "I attack him!". Choose which toe you attack!

And... you know how in some games you can't jump over the 4-foot tall fence? That's your reality now.

BTW... is it time for lunch?

Joe the Rat
2017-08-23, 09:35 AM
Focusing on scale...
Remember being six? That's about your world POV.

Everything the daikini make is twice as big as it needs to be. Depending on edition, that means some gear will be awkward to use, or fulfills a different role for you (That magic sword of yours that glows in the presence of orcs or goblins, depending on the month? It's really a dagger). You may have to reach up a bit to open doors, and climbing on a barstool is a bit less more descriptive. You may keep a bucket or case in your equipment that doubles as a stepstool. Conversely, you can move under things easily. Including tables and horses. And the beds are fabulous.

You will have to work harder to get people's attention, and can get lost in crowds. On the flip side, you are less readily noticed, and can get lost in crowds.

In the martial world, size matters - reach and power. It takes skill to make up for it. Game mechanics tend to reduce the small differences, but you will probably still feel it. You are used to the longshanks not taking you seriously. You either roll with it ("like I haven't heard that one before"), or have a serious chip on your shoulder ("who you callin' foot rest, coat rack?"). Speed is your ally, and the big guys are slow and clumsy. In combat, you are on-scale with goblins and the like (face-to-face), but against orcs or elves or humans, most of your attacks will be low and body blows. Shoving (tripping/bullrushing) is more likely knocking legs out than bowling over - but feel free to describe jumping off of a table to land on some dudes face. Underbellies and hamstringing, or hitting arms and shoulders when they are more in reach from an attack. If you are not a speed fighter - dexterity focus, "finesse" being involved in your weapon choice - I'd suggest hafted weapons - axes or hammers - over swords. They put more weight at the striking end, giving you more leverage. Heavy objects coming at one's netherbits can be an intimidating thing.

Guizonde
2017-08-23, 11:48 AM
first rule of playing halflings: you're not playing a kender. don't be a magpie (unless you're a rogue, i guess).

secondly, i've actually played a halfling paladin that was 3'3" (counting the mohawk). get yourself a mount if you don't feel like hitting family jewels every fight. based on where you're playing and what character, that could be a pony, a ram or a large goat, a boar, an ostrich, something fast, battle-hardened and preferrably irate. this will help tremendously with travel speeds, running away, and being seen in general. plus, it's cheaper and easier to get than dipping into monks or other martial classes that get movement bonuses.

your job is not to see the size difference as a challenge, but as an advantage. when playing that paladin, i had a grappling hook and 10m of rope (iirc, that's 3gp total), and you'd better believe i used it often. crossing chasms, climbing buildings, sleeping in trees (a hammock is very comfy, light, and enemies never look up). speaking of looking up, nobody expects a halfling goomba-stomp. jumping off a ledge or tree branch can totally count as charging into combat with a good description. the dm might not appreciate the stunt, but if you're caught sleeping in a tree and your team's getting attacked, what are you gonna do if you're melee oriented?

now, i don't know what class you'll be playing as. i was playing paladin and that meant i had to get in the thick of it quickly. ever tried to get in front of a teammate in a narrow corridor? a dc25 acrobatics check allowed me to walljump beyond him, and i lost count how many times i've seen halfling climbing on their opponents. the environment is your friend. walls, chandeliers, tables, all of those can be used to stop an incoming blow, dodge one, or move faster and farther.

lastly, if you're in doubt, set something on fire. that's not a murderhobo joke, by the way. smallfolk are closer to the ground than human equivalents, this means that they are less blinded by smoke and less choked by inhaling smoke. the fact that now you've got a smokescreen on top of a wall of pain for your enemies is just a bonus. halflings have an adventurous streak despite not being "brave" in the traditional sense of the word. 2e had iirc 2 different halfling prc's that were built around guerilla tactics. keep moving, keep out of sight, and failing that, make sure you can get out of there alive. a sewer grate might be too small for a human, but not for you. how are you gonna loot that necromancer's keep if you get turned into a zombie? better fall back and strike from a different angle. again, i recommend fire as a diversion or a way to cover your retreat. like others said: people don't take halflings seriously. between fragging you and stopping a house fire, you bet they'll extinguish the blaze.

Tanarii
2017-08-23, 12:32 PM
In what game? And what edition of the game?

Halfings are significantly different in Warhammer RPG, Warhammer FRP, Warhammer 40k RPG (where they're called 'Ratlings), D&D Classic (various versions), AD&D 1e & 2e (which are fairly similar), D&D 3e, D&D 4e, D&D 5e, and Torchbearer. That's just 3 different games, but within 2 of them (almost) every version is somewhat different in personality, outlook, and what they're good at.

That said, two common themes are being good at cooking and being sneaky.