PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Familiar help.

Metahuman1
2017-08-21, 08:46 AM
So, I have in the party I'm running a game for a Beguiler. Whom, through a rather memorable RP session, has acquired an extra home brew flaw involving being terrified of Seagulls.

Since as the DM I was sticking him with this, I opted to give him a bonus feat. I asked the playground about what feat, and the answer I got back was "Obtain Familiar."

So, now I come with a follow up question.

What would a good familiar be for a Beguiler? 3rd level, heavy Int, standard WBL, don't know what level the party is going to be stopping this game at, sandbox camping style were all possible creatures are on the table for this.

What does the Playground Recommend?!

Karl Aegis
2017-08-21, 08:53 AM
Hawks are pretty hardcore, but might look too similar to seagulls for him. Also true for ravens. Generally speaking, anything that can fly, climb or swim is a good familiar.

zlefin
2017-08-21, 08:54 AM
from a humorous perspectiv;e i'd say a cute kitty/puppy.

Inevitability
2017-08-21, 08:59 AM
Tiny viper, perhaps? It's climb and swim speeds combined with tiny size make it a good scout, it gives a bonus to a skill beguilers probably like, and you can milk its poison if the DM lets you. Even if the DC is low, 1d6 constitution damage hurts.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-08-21, 09:26 AM
Ravens are a decent choice, since they can speak-- and, thus, use your social skills and potentially UMD.

denthor
2017-08-21, 09:30 AM
Who says if has to be the absolute best choice. The absurd can be fun fluffy white cat. It stalks all birds.

KillianHawkeye
2017-08-21, 11:12 AM
I just read on Google that weasels sometimes raid seagull nests and even attack the birds themselves if they're hungry enough.

Metahuman1
2017-08-21, 07:17 PM
I'm posting this as the DM for the game in question.

Doesn't obtain familiar generally allow for options for familiars outside the core rule book?

Note: I'm the DM but I normally hate dealing with pets/familiars/animal companions/cohorts. Mostly cause in my play experience they are more often then not the first thing the DM kills unless your sinking stupid amounts of effort into protecting them.

daremetoidareyo
2017-08-21, 07:24 PM
I just read on Google that weasels sometimes raid seagull nests and even attack the birds themselves if they're hungry enough.

Muskrats do that too. Plus they probably have skill point or for and craft (tiny Hutch). Just use a rat and increase its swim speed

Vizzerdrix
2017-08-21, 08:19 PM
How about a cow? :smallbiggrin:

Or maybe just give him the feat and let him decide what he wants.

Metahuman1
2017-08-21, 08:25 PM
Guys a new player. He's got no idea what he wants, which is why he asked me, cause I'm the DM.

ATHATH
2017-08-21, 08:54 PM
Clearly, you should give him a seagull (or something else that's been refluffed as one) as his familiar.

daremetoidareyo
2017-08-21, 09:30 PM
Clearly, you should give him a seagull (or something else that's been refluffed as one) as his familiar.

The mighty puffin! +3 to survival checks!

Maybe the albatross, but its abilities stink.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2017-08-21, 09:34 PM
There are a lot of familiar options in various books.

Sandstorm adds a Horned Lizard as an option for a familiar.

Stormwrack has an Albatross, Eel, Parrot (raven stats), and sea snake.

Frostburn adds an Arctic Fox, Lemming (rat), and Penguin, to name a few.

Dragon 277 p65 has Badger, Chipmunk, Dog, Groundhog, Monkey, and Otter.

Dragon 323 p98 has Butterfly/Moth, Caterpillar, Fly, Fox, Hummingbird (+4 initiative), Mink, Spider, Turtle, and Vulture.

Keep in mind that his familiar can use his skill ranks, so if he has UMD a monkey familiar could carry around wands, and it can throw tanglefoot bags as well.

Improved Familiar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#improvedFamiliar) is going to be a good choice, he can pick that up at 6th and then wait until 7th to get an Imp, Quasit, or Pseudodragon.

ZamielVanWeber
2017-08-21, 09:47 PM
Hummingbirds from Dragon Magazine are pretty solid and funny. They give +4 to Initiative and have a fly speed with average manuverability despite hummingbirds being the explicit example of perfect manuverability.

Metahuman1
2017-08-21, 10:12 PM
Biffoniacus_Furiou and ZamielVanWeber : NOW were talking! This is more the kind of help and input I was hoping for!

ZamielVanWeber
2017-08-21, 10:32 PM
Improved Familiar has some cool options since it has been printed so much:
Complete Warrior has some nice options provided you are some kind of gish. Avoid it like the plague otherwise
Complete Scoundrel is pretty underwhelming aside from granting you access to the Mirror Mephit which may very well get to smacked by your DM. The other mephit are cool but not great.
Player's Guide to Faerun is not great since it explicitly does not allow it's familiar to gain most familiar benefits but the dudes are pretty exotic.
Serpent Kingdoms has the same situation. Both are much better if you intend to PrC out quickly though.
DMG had imp, quasit, and psuedodragon which are all useful in their own ways.

This guidebook should help as well: http://dictummortuum.blogspot.qa/2011/08/familiars-handbook.html?m=1

daremetoidareyo
2017-08-21, 11:00 PM
Here is a handy guide as well that just deals with availability: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?187251-3-5-Complete-list-of-possible-Familiar

Inevitability
2017-08-22, 12:51 AM
The mighty puffin! +3 to survival checks!

Maybe the albatross, but its abilities stink.

The albatross is interesting for providing a tiny-sized race with a flying mount, though. Muckdwellers and jermlaines were never so cool!

Ellrin
2017-08-22, 01:50 AM

This man's ideas intrigue me and I would like to subscribe to his newsletter.

Elkad
2017-08-22, 09:00 AM

Dangit, SwordSaged by hours.

I like a Rat for a starter familiar. Bonus to Fort save is always good. Climb and Swim.
And then when you upgrade to an Imp later, it can stay in Rat form (when not invisible) and you can keep up the charade with the party/king/whoever that you aren't LE.

ShurikVch
2017-08-22, 10:56 AM
If magazines stuff is OK, then...
Dragon magazines:
Have Dinosaur familiars:
Compsognathus (+3 bonus to Hide checks)
Ramphorhynchus (+3 bonus on Initiative checks)
Familiar
Equivalent Statistics
Special

Chameleon
Lizard
Master gains a +3 bonus to Disguise checks

Crow
Raven
Master gains a +2 bonus to Fortitude saves

Dark Chanting Goshawk
Hawk
Master gains a +2 bonus to Will saves

Dog (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/dog.htm)

Master gains a +3 bonus to Sense Motive checks

Flying Fox
Raven
Master gains a +3 bonus to Sleight of Hand checks

Iguana
Lizard
Master gains a +3 bonus to Climb checks

Monkey (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/monkey.htm)

Master gains a +3 bonus to Tumble checks

Night Lizard
Lizard
Master gains a +3 bonus to Hide checks

Platypus
Hedgehog*
Master gains a +3 bonus to Swim checks

Rabbit
Cat
Master gains a +3 bonus to Listen checks

Squirrel
Rat
Master gains a +3 bonus to Jump checks

Vampire Bat
Bat

*Replace poisonous quills and bite with poisonous claw
Familiar
Equivalent Statistics
Special

Monkey (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/monkey.htm) (from the Isle of Dread)

Master gains a +3 bonus to Climb checks

Needletooth
Lizard*
Master gains a +3 bonus to Hide checks in forests or jungles

*Have a Wounding SA (1 hp/turn)
Also, Dungeon #107 have a Tiny Shark familiar (+3 bonus to Spot checks)

Bohandas
2017-08-22, 12:40 PM
Improved Familiar has some cool options since it has been printed so much

Isn't there an improved familiar beastie in one of the FRCS books that is itself called a Beguiler?

Inevitability
2017-08-22, 12:52 PM
Isn't there an improved familiar beastie in one of the FRCS books that is itself called a Beguiler?

There is, in Shining South. Beguilers are best known for providing True Seeing effects at incredibly low levels.