PDA

View Full Version : Making Myself Useful!

Archpaladin Zousha
2017-08-21, 10:01 AM
I'm gearing up for a 5e game being run by my brother, and I'm struggling to decide what to play as. We have a tentative group of 5, including me, and it's shaping up to look like:

A Druid geared towards healing and spellcasting.

A Bard who'll adjust himself to shore up whatever weaknesses the party may have after I've decided on a character.

And two Fighters, one a Tabaxi likely with the Outlander background, and the other based on Jon Snow.

So...I'm not quite sure what class to pick. My initial instinct was Paladin, but with two Fighters we'll probably have melee combat covered pretty well. The Druid is being specifically geared for healing, and the Bard can help her in that regard. As far as skills, of course the Bard will dominate in that regard, and if he goes Lore he'll probably cover our spellcasting needs too.

I'm a bit lost as the roles I enjoy playing the most have all been covered by the other players, and they already have the essentials of a well-oiled machine of a party.

What should I play so I can actually contribute to the party and not feel overshadowed by everyone else?

nickl_2000
2017-08-21, 10:03 AM
From the looks of it your group needs a blaster and/or a range attacker. I believe that Warlock, Wizard, or Sorcerer are usually the suggested classes for those

Sariel Vailo
2017-08-21, 10:14 AM
Thou could be a sorcadin. A multiclass sorcerer paladin it gives utility and of done right flight and smites

Unoriginal
2017-08-21, 10:19 AM
Why not do what you enjoy first and worry about being useful later?

It's pretty hard to make a character in 5e that's superfluous

Protato
2017-08-21, 10:22 AM
Personally I'd go Warlock or Sorcerer for their blasting ability, or an Illusion Wizard for their control of the battlefield. Whatever class you play, I hope you have a good time.

Specter
2017-08-21, 10:37 AM
Go Bard, ans use your Magical Secrets to shore up for any weakness in the group.

Snivlem
2017-08-21, 10:44 AM
If you want to play a paladin, i think you should play a paladin

Level2intern
2017-08-21, 11:05 AM
If you are leaning towards pally then I would 2nd the recommendation of a sorcadin. All the good stuff of a pally with some blasting, excellent novas, and great support . This will help you carve out a role that is different from your 2 fighters.

Archpaladin Zousha
2017-08-21, 01:59 PM
Sorcadin sounds very tempting...I've played one back in the 3.5 days in Neverwinter Nights 2 that I remember fondly!

The_Snark
2017-08-21, 02:06 PM
I'd go for something with stealth and scouting skills myself, since those aren't traditionally bard skills. Not very compatible with paladin/sorcerer, unfortunately.

sky red hunter
2017-08-21, 02:50 PM
Don't try to fit yourself into a 'role', play a character you want to play. you'll be happier. Fitting into the gaps left by the other characters will only make you resentful down the line. Never be pressured into fulfilling a role you have no affinity for. If ye struggle in a certain area so what? life is a struggle. If ya haven't got the perfect setup to best a situation so what? use the skills ye got and get the job done a different way.

If you wanna play a paladin, play a paladin. Anything else and you'll end up dissatisfied with your playing experience.

Mortis_Elrod
2017-08-21, 02:51 PM
If you have UA options available i'd say Revised Ranger or Kensei Monk, or Arcane Archer.

Warlock or Sorcerer or wizard is fine for ranged combatant as well but those options are LAME.

or Rogue, a handaxe throwing barbarian. Clerics can do some decent ranged damage if you build for it.

Archpaladin Zousha
2017-08-21, 03:29 PM
Don't try to fit yourself into a 'role', play a character you want to play. you'll be happier. Fitting into the gaps left by the other characters will only make you resentful down the line. Never be pressured into fulfilling a role you have no affinity for. If ye struggle in a certain area so what? life is a struggle. If ya haven't got the perfect setup to best a situation so what? use the skills ye got and get the job done a different way.

If you wanna play a paladin, play a paladin. Anything else and you'll end up dissatisfied with your playing experience.
See, what worries me is that if I play a straight paladin, I'll wind up competing with the fighters and we'll end up resenting each other for stealing each other's kills and spotlight.

I want spotlight too, but I don't want to mess up the game experience by trying to butt in to a spotlight that's already got two people competing for it, especially when those two people apparently already have friction from previous games with my brother (the player who wants to be Jon Snow would sort of make everything about him, and the guy playing the Tabaxi responded by beating him to his goals to try and puncture his ego, stealing the McGuffins my brother laid out for the JS player and stuff, kinda "look at me, my character's so broody and cool!" "Oh yeah? Watch me be even cooler than you!").

DarkKnightJin
2017-08-21, 03:45 PM
I would suggest a Ranger, Rogue, or perhaps a Cleric of the War, Tempest, or Arcana variety.

Knowledge, or a Wizard of some kind might be fun too, and could help a bit with the Int checks you might come across.

Mortis_Elrod
2017-08-21, 03:48 PM
See, what worries me is that if I play a straight paladin, I'll wind up competing with the fighters and we'll end up resenting each other for stealing each other's kills and spotlight.

I want spotlight too, but I don't want to mess up the game experience by trying to butt in to a spotlight that's already got two people competing for it, especially when those two people apparently already have friction from previous games with my brother (the player who wants to be Jon Snow would sort of make everything about him, and the guy playing the Tabaxi responded by beating him to his goals to try and puncture his ego, stealing the McGuffins my brother laid out for the JS player and stuff, kinda "look at me, my character's so broody and cool!" "Oh yeah? Watch me be even cooler than you!").

Play a paladin and focus on teaching these two the error of their ways. Conquest + Long Death is a cool combo if you want monk for whatever reason ( at level 13, 6 monk 7 paladin) you can lock down entire area with fear and Aura. Or just straight up any paladin is fine, (sorcadin is good but not needed).

Archpaladin Zousha
2017-08-21, 06:41 PM
Aren't Conquest and Long Death supposed to be evil?

The_Snark
2017-08-21, 06:45 PM
The Way of the Long Death doesn't have to be evil, it's a good fit for monasteries devoted to neutral- or good-aligned death deities. Oath of Conquest... that one is kind of dark grey at best, yeah.

Mortis_Elrod
2017-08-21, 09:01 PM
Aren't Conquest and Long Death supposed to be evil?

Death Conquers. Very evil at a glance but also just plain true. Death wins at the end right?

Not a big philosopher but maybe just rp it as Nihilism

Edit: nothing about either forces you to be evil, contrary to what some might tell you.

Sans.
2017-08-21, 10:00 PM
Rogue for Crossbow Expert + Sharpshooter shenanigans strikes me as a good choice. Abuse Sneak Attack (and the -5/+10, though you might want to stop using that when your base damage with Sneak Attack gets high enough) on both of your attacks by aiming at whatever your Fighters are nearby. The only thing I don't like is how much extra pressure it puts on your bonus action, with Cunning Action and also possibly Fast Hands, although I'm fond of the Arcane Trickster X/Wizard 2 mix.

Spojack
2017-08-21, 10:32 PM
As has been stated before if you want to play a paladin play a paladin. But if you are looking to fill a niche having two people playing melee characters means you can get a few good options for sneak attacks and if you go crossbow you can do some big and reliable damage. plus if your DM is anything like mine having someone that can open doors and disable traps is really really nice. And if you arent a fan of rogues monks can be really fun. Tabaxi+Mobile+monk you can be a blur capable of moving at speeds that would make a quickling blush. Get Prof with with thieves tools and you are opening doors running into rooms taking things and half a mile away before anyone else can even stand up.

Archpaladin Zousha
2017-08-22, 10:17 AM
That does seem cool, but my brother probably won't let me play a tabaxi since he's already stretched to allow one of the Fighter players to play a Tabaxi, with the justification that he's a foreign wanderer who is really REALLY lost.

I COULD suggest your build to that player though...he might get a kick out of being such a speedy thief, considering his antics in the past, and that'd free up melee more for me to play a paladin!

Sariel Vailo
2017-08-22, 10:45 AM
That does seem cool, but my brother probably won't let me play a tabaxi since he's already stretched to allow one of the Fighter players to play a Tabaxi, with the justification that he's a foreign wanderer who is really REALLY lost.

I COULD suggest your build to that player though...he might get a kick out of being such a speedy thief, considering his antics in the past, and that'd free up melee more for me to play a paladin!the wisdom and cunning needed to be a holy warrior

Sir cryosin
2017-08-22, 10:52 AM
Play a Monk you'll have a ball with it. I love shadow I've have played 2 of them. My last one was a kobold shadow Monk and played him like a rogue. I want to play long death Monk but haven't yet looks fun as well.

So go Monk your party is going to love you when you use stunning strike it stops a bad guy.

Archpaladin Zousha
2017-08-22, 12:29 PM
Well I just got some good news! Turns out the Tabaxi player ISN'T going to be a melee frontliner, so I can play a paladin guilt-free!

The only question is...do I just go straight paladin and use Oath of the Ancients to become INVINCIBLE or Sorcadin and gain ULTIMATE POWER?! :smallcool:

Varon
2017-08-22, 01:07 PM
I play an Oath of the Ancients paladin and it's pretty fantastic. Really appreciate the different take on the class as well.

Just don't use the entangling vines spell on a hellhound. Doesn't work super well.

Citan
2017-08-22, 01:19 PM

For easiest "fit-in" I'd suggest Rogue (any) or Wizard (any).
First would cover ranged attacks nicely, as well as scouting.
Second would cover all the utility Bard and Druid won't have (especially rituals), blasting, battlefield control.

Rogue is more simple, Wizard is more "complete". With either of them you cannot go wrong.

Beyond that, I agree with others, just tell us what you would like to "do" on a regular basis in social and fighting encounters and we will help you tailor a character that fits your taste while still being a great, complementary addition to the party.

Well I just got some good news! Turns out the Tabaxi player ISN'T going to be a melee frontliner, so I can play a paladin guilt-free!

The only question is...do I just go straight paladin and use Oath of the Ancients to become INVINCIBLE or Sorcadin and gain ULTIMATE POWER?! :smallcool:
Oops, just saw that.
Well, why not do both?
Self-answer: a bit boring to level...

Since you seem set on Ancients (which is another great, balanced choice), I'd say just start by leveling up straight to level 8 (because Extra Attack, Aura of Protection, Aura of Warding and second ASI are just too good to wait on them)...
Once you are there, if you are a bit hazy on where to go afterwards, you can always come back and ask for opinions here. ;)

Have fun!

Archpaladin Zousha
2017-08-22, 03:11 PM
Thanks!

One slight question: how would the combat dynamics change if our Tabaxi is an archer/assassin, assuming the fighter and me form the bulwark of the party?

Citan
2017-08-22, 10:12 PM
Thanks!

One slight question: how would the combat dynamics change if our Tabaxi is an archer/assassin, assuming the fighter and me form the bulwark of the party?
Well... Not *that* much?

A Rogue never wants to attract attention anyways. He usually is good at drawing and keeping attention of a single enemy so you wouldn't have counted on him to hold the front anyways.

The big question is rather: how sturdy is your Fighter pal?
If he is definitely less tanky than you, then getting Protection fighting style might be a good idea. As could be casting Shield of Faith on him instead of you.
Other nice tricks may include casting Heroism on him (extremely good at lower levels, less so later).
Or casting Compelled Duel on a powerful enemy and draw it away from your pals. Or Ensnaring Strike to keep him stuck.
Or cast Wrathful Smite to protect your whole party for a time.

Many good things to do really.
Just keep in mind that 2 don't make a crowd: you will still have to rely on tactics and Druid + Bard using some crowd/terrain control spells. You cannot stop a hoard alone. ^^

The Rogue should keep in the mid-line (between you and fighter and casters), ready to switch weapons from ranged to melee (unless he has hand crossbow with Crossbow Expert in which case he's already ready, just has to draw a one-handed melee weapon ^^) to stop in its tracks (cross path and threaten with OA) any lone enemy trying to reach the casters.

Won't be any help against ranged attacks though, so casters should also have/keep/make some cover for them, and maybe you (Fog Cloud, Mold Earth, Darkness, Warding Wind, Walls* etc).

Archpaladin Zousha
2017-08-22, 11:47 PM
Well...I dunno how sturdy the Fighter is. How sturdy is John Snow? I haven't read ASOIAF or watched GoT, so all I know is that he "KNOWS NOTHING JOHN SNOW!" Or something like that. :smalltongue: