PDA

View Full Version : Need help building a sniper PLEASE!

Seriah
2017-08-21, 10:02 AM
Playing in a gestalt campaign, low to no magic setting. I want to build a firearms sniper but I'm having trouble making what I want.

Campaign rules: (some were deleted as irrelevant for character creation)

2 - We will be using gestalt characters.

3 - We are using a point based system for making classes 6 points total. (Using the tier system you find all over, except the numbers are reversed with wizard being tier 5 and fighter being tier 1)
- This campaign will have NO high magics available to characters
- No Access to 7th , 8th , or 9th level spell this will be modified by giving access to additional feats and spell slots for lower level spells.

4 - I will allow you to start the game as base races.
- If you want to play a LA racial character it will be one side of your gestalt (i.e. Savage Species, savage progression)

5 - We will not be using any LA 0 cheese to add-on to your characters each of these will add on additional level to your character minimum 1 maybe more.

9 - All Prestige classes must be approved by the DM and no PRC dipping. You must take at least half the levels before moving on to another PRC.

- if you are taking a PRC the PRC must be on the same side of the character that it most closely relates to. I.E. caster to caster, sneak to sneak, fighter to fighter.

10 - Bloodlines must be approved by the DM and your backstory must have a decent story or I will not allow.

--------------------

Now, on the good side, we have access to just about anything ever printed, 3.0, 3.5, PF, 7th sea, Iron Kingdoms etc etc. I suspect if there was a 1.0 class I wanted that had not been reprinted, I would be allowed to update it.

----------------------

I have looked at the Highwayman from 7th sea with the rifleman PRC from iron kingdom for one side...maybe someone here has a better idea? I want to avoid magic at all if possible, I want firearms and I want to snipe, that's my only sure things so far.

TotallyNotEvil
2017-08-21, 12:24 PM
Well, for maximum range, Deepwood Sniper is the usual go-to.

flappeercraft
2017-08-21, 12:32 PM
Far shot is a must. I reccomend you to use a heavy crossbow, then get the gnome scrossbow sight from A&EG. Finally add the Distance property which is only a +1 and definitely not high magic.

With all that you get an effective range of 1,080 ft at no penalty. You still need to be able to spot your opponent though.

Edit: For firearms you could just ask to refluff the crossbow and crossbow sight to be a firearm.

Eldariel
2017-08-21, 12:44 PM
One side Crusader [Tome of Battle], one side Fighter [Targeteer - Dragon Magazine #313], Barbarian [Whirling Frenzy], Ranger into Deepwood Sniper [Masters of the Wild]. Max your number of attacks, use the "Sniper"-ability to lose all but one, use Aura of Perfect Order to take 11 on the attack and make your crit range 11-20. Weapon Master [Sword & Fist] can also crit stack. But yeah, autocrit and max your crit multiplier is what I'd recommend; not as good as a volley but the best "one arrow, one kill" in the game. Or just use Hunter's Mercy-spell [Spell Compendium], 1st level Ranger-spell that makes your next attack crit. Much less effort.

Seriah
2017-08-21, 01:01 PM
Unfortunately, the DM is not allowing refluffing of weapons and such. I really really want guns, that's why I was trying to come up with a good 1 shot build, so that the reload times don't harm me as badly. I've played many archer builds and such, so I know all the standard builds for volley, skirmish etc etc.

I need to find something really good in one of the more obscure sources I think.

ExLibrisMortis
2017-08-21, 01:16 PM
Rule 9b makes no sense. Officially, there's no such thing as a 'side' in a gestalt build. 'Sides' are only useful for talking about builds.

There is a feat in Dragon #306, page 98, called Secret of the Firebrands. It allows you to purchase and craft the weapons on the Renaissance weapon tables. Note that the magazine is 3.0--it refers to the wrong table and page numbers if you're using the 3.5 DMG.

Even if you can buy and craft them, firearms are still exotic weapons (bombs require no proficiency). A level of Exoticist fighter can get you EWP with four weapons of choice, which could cover muskets and pistols, in addition to some funky bayonet/sword thing (I know there's a crossbow bayonet somewhere).

Edit: iirc, Targeteer fighter gets you proficiency with some exotic ranged weapons, so that's better for a sniper.

Seriah
2017-08-21, 03:04 PM
Highwayman from 7th sea gets me proficiency with all firearms

Goaty14
2017-08-21, 05:15 PM
Well, for maximum range, Deepwood Sniper is the usual go-to.

For maximum range, you want the Cragtop Archer instead.

TotallyNotEvil
2017-08-21, 05:44 PM
For maximum range, you want the Cragtop Archer instead.
Ah, got the two mixed up. You are correct.

They do go well together, don't they?

Anthrowhale
2017-08-22, 09:25 AM
This build (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=22126857&postcount=49) may be helpful in terms of choosing core only magic items.