PDA

View Full Version : I'm bad at roleplaying. Are you?

Ravinsild
2017-08-21, 10:27 AM
In a current campaign I rolled a Wizard with an 18 Intelligence and a 15 Charisma, yet no matter what I can't seem to play him "right". I always make him into a very charismatic but kind of naive and oblivious person (his wisdom is 13) and he never comes off as particularly smart. This happens with all my characters. Extremely personable and charismatic...even if they have a low charisma.

Do you guys ever feel like you become stuck in a "character actor" state, like how Will Ferrel plays the same guy in every movie?

It seems to be an instinct I can't shake.

Any of you guys struggle with RPing different "types" of characters? I seem to only have "Charismatic Caster" or "Feral Savage Barbarian" and nothing in between.

Strifer
2017-08-21, 10:35 AM
The intellect can be played by asking your DM what information you know before starting the campaign (or by letting your DM narrate information on your behalf) charisma is always tricky but the way I see it: being good in getting your point across. So if there is for instance a goblin: state the way their civilisation works and convince the other Pc's or npc 's you know what is best

Low wis and high int is tricky: you don't see everything and your "gut feel" can be off. But you still know what it is when you see it and can diduce the best course of action.

QuintonBeck
2017-08-21, 10:41 AM
It can be really easy to fall into certain playstyles for sure. I can easily slip into a sort of "default" mode of playing if I'm not careful. I like to make notes, write down quotes, find images, and otherwise make a collection of things that put me in mind of the character I'm trying to play. I'll reference these before and during the game to refresh my vision and remind me to play the character. I really like the personality briefing you pick up with a Background and it plus some extras I add helps to keep me thinking in terms of "this character" instead of as me, the player. Pausing before you say or do something to think about your character's reaction is perfectly fair I think since your gut instinct may not be the same as your character's.

In addition to this advice I also try to only play characters I think I could play with my strengths and inclinations as a player. As much as I really like this idea for a Lawful Neutral/Evil Asmodeous worshiping (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?501550-The-Nine-Revelations-A-Cult-of-Asmodeus)Fighter/Paladin I don't think I'd be capable of stopping myself from quipping and this character is really not a jokester as I envision him so I'll be saving the idea for use in DMing or writing something else.

ZorroGames
2017-08-21, 10:51 AM
His is why I try and play certain classes but without the stereotypes associated.

Dwarf - keeps opinion of other races to himself, blunt/gruff when asked for an opinion,NO Scots accents, so far Cleric or Fighter Champion (AD&D F/T) though ready to try Abjuration Wizard, a Draconic Sorceror, or a (Fey Patron) Warlock someday soon. :smallcool:

Human - It is Fighter or Cleric me in "medieval" clothing. :smallbiggrin:

Wood Elf - Channel my Eagle Scout days :smallwink:

Gnome - How my wife played her character in AD&D/1st "What does this button do?" 'Pushes button'

That is enough for me, maybe in some cases too much for my fellow players. :smallconfused:

imtodd
2017-08-21, 11:01 AM
I'm horrible at RP. I always wind up playing myself. In truth I'm more of a fan of the mechanics but I do enjoy being in the group with all the others and watching the interactions.

Ravinsild
2017-08-21, 11:03 AM
I'm horrible at RP. I always wind up playing myself. In truth I'm more of a fan of the mechanics but I do enjoy being in the group with all the others and watching the interactions.

I think I'm the same. I really enjoy coming up with a concept and then finding the mechanics to fit that concept. It's why I like "converting" things from other games and anime into D&D characters, but never actually playing them. Just to see if I can fit the concept into D&D.

LaserFace
2017-08-21, 11:06 AM
Stats are broad and vague enough such that you can still have a range of characters within a given stat array. WIS 13 is notably above-average but could absolutely still be a bit absent-minded sometimes, if the person is just also good at judgment when they are aware. So, I think it's okay to be a bit "off".

I sometimes have the issue of making my low-INT characters a little too smart, but I think you can also play that off as a bit of cunning or simply an area of innate talent that fails to compensate for their broader weakness. You can play a 10 INT character who is actually pretty clever and reasonable but fails at a lot of academic pursuits because their mind just doesn't work that way.

I think if you really see it as a problem, maybe carry an index card with some small reminders of what NOT to do when roleplaying. You could like, tally off an arbitrary number of times you avoid engaging in a particular behavior that risks running contrary to the heart of the character, and after so many times you can allow yourself a moment where it's permissible.

Anyway, yeah, if I have any problems it's probably that I try to make my characters more academic than they likely should be. Not overwhelmingly so, but I'm bad at playing a simple brute who enjoys being a simple brute.

Theodoxus
2017-08-21, 11:13 AM
To answer your question... no??...??.. (at least, I don't think so, but I haven't poled the various tables I play/run so it's purely biased and subjective).

However, to address some of your concerns, 1) it doesn't really matter, as long as you and your table are having fun. Sometimes it's really hard to get into a different mindset, even when it's one you specifically developed. (I played a very Grog-like barbarian one game, and I'd always start off with the voice right, but through the session, I'd have to mentally prepare to speak using it - it wasn't anywhere close to natural for me. It did make my character appear a little more contemplative, though after a few "soul searching" seconds, coming out with "wot?" always made the other players giggle.)
2) This is my take on Intelligence, it's certainly not the only, but it's what I tell my players and how I run it:
"Intelligence measures reasoning and memory. Intelligence is of priority for Wizards and a few classes that act like wizards. If your concept isn’t that of a wizard, Intelligence is the first (and possibly only) stat that can be safely “dumped” with very little mechanical impact on your character. It is used for knowledge based skills, so if that’s important to you, you’ll want a decent score in Intelligence, but remember, Intelligence measures reasoning and memory, it’s not IQ, it’s not how “smart” or “dumb” you are. You can be a genius in real life and play a character with a small Intelligence score without changing how you perceive the world (Ie, you don’t need to talk like a Neanderthal just because you put a low score there). Just downplay tactics and don’t write down story notes to reference later and you’ll be playing it correctly."

I have a similar view on all the attributes. It gets away from meta discussion on what a high (or low) Int or Cha or Wis character can or can't do and lets the mechanics of the game deal with the specifics. It's a reaction to the older systems that create fluff descriptions of what an attribute means (WoDs 5 Dex being the quickest human on the planet, or 5 Strength being the strongest...) when reality is a harsh slap in the face when you start rolling dice. "What do you mean I can't lift that 300 lbs. slab or rock off my buddy? I'm the strongest man on the planet!!!" "Well, you rolled like crap, Harry. Blame the dice, not the fluff."

3) Why not play the charismatic talky man? Roy breaks the mold with the 18 Int fighter (or at least tries)... no reason you can't also with a high Charisma druid or monk... heck, just because you can talk a yarn doesn't mean mechanically your character is.

I've had plenty of players eloquently make their case, then roll and have their character simply not succeed... it's no different then "I try to make the guy understand we need the map" turn into a 20+ Persuasion check... the player botched the attempt, the character turned it into a success... Sure, it's rollplaying - but if you're a bad roleplayer, might as well be a good rollplayer. I don't have any issue with it - though I know, from at least what I've read, that I'm in the minority with that opinion.

Koren
2017-08-21, 11:23 AM
If you feel like you are getting stuck in a specific character, try making someone vastly different. Even if it's a stereotype or an existing character, just make it your own and make it work.

For example, you might be stuck in feral barbarian and naive wizard? Play a Druid tree hugger. You know you got a definitive image in your head, start with that and work out traits from there.

I tend to overthink things but one thing I do is I try to consider how my character would respond to certain scenarios compared to how *I* would during my down time.

Arcangel4774
2017-08-21, 11:36 AM
I find i have trouble role-playing if I ever get put in a leadership role. Then I have trouble not picking the "right" option or say the "right" thing in order to benefit the group. Im much more willing to act on my characters faults and interests when I don't have to drag the party down with me if I crash and burn.

Tanarii
2017-08-21, 01:17 PM
IMO, the easiest way to roleplay is to write up some default behaviors. Motivations if you will. 5e encourages this already with the personality system: 5-6 sentences covering a variety of motivations, Alignment, Personality Trait, Ideal, Bond, Flaw.

If you're trying to emulate some specific aspect of your ability scores, figure out a one sentence behavior that showcases it. And then figure out how to implement that in game.

In the case of trying to play a character with different 'Mental' capabilities than you, it's certainly possible (but not required) to work out how to play differently as a player. However, it's not required, because 5e stats are written in such a way that the player can just be the player, and the stats come into play when resolution of uncertain outcomes is required, after all decisions have been made.

That said, you can also choose to enhance or lower your normal level of what the ability scores represent in-game: Intelligence (mental acuity, accuracy of recall, and ability to reason), Wisdom (attunement to the world, perceptiveness / intuition), and charisma (ability to interact with others, confidence, eloquence, charming or commanding personality).

The obvious ones are obvious, if potentially stereotypical:
Higher Int take a lot of notes.
Lower Int, never take any notes of any kind. Make sure to think of NPCs as 'that guy' and places as 'that one place'. :smallbiggrin:
Higher Wis put down the damn phone and pay attention to the game!
Lower Wis pay half-assed attention to what's going on in game, until it's your turn to do something. (ie situation normal)
Higher Cha, be certain.
Lower Cha, be neurotic.

Ravinsild
2017-08-21, 07:24 PM
IMO, the easiest way to roleplay is to write up some default behaviors. Motivations if you will. 5e encourages this already with the personality system: 5-6 sentences covering a variety of motivations, Alignment, Personality Trait, Ideal, Bond, Flaw.

If you're trying to emulate some specific aspect of your ability scores, figure out a one sentence behavior that showcases it. And then figure out how to implement that in game.

In the case of trying to play a character with different 'Mental' capabilities than you, it's certainly possible (but not required) to work out how to play differently as a player. However, it's not required, because 5e stats are written in such a way that the player can just be the player, and the stats come into play when resolution of uncertain outcomes is required, after all decisions have been made.

That said, you can also choose to enhance or lower your normal level of what the ability scores represent in-game: Intelligence (mental acuity, accuracy of recall, and ability to reason), Wisdom (attunement to the world, perceptiveness / intuition), and charisma (ability to interact with others, confidence, eloquence, charming or commanding personality).

The obvious ones are obvious, if potentially stereotypical:
Higher Int take a lot of notes.
Lower Int, never take any notes of any kind. Make sure to think of NPCs as 'that guy' and places as 'that one place'. :smallbiggrin:
Higher Wis put down the damn phone and pay attention to the game!
Lower Wis pay half-assed attention to what's going on in game, until it's your turn to do something. (ie situation normal)
Higher Cha, be certain.
Lower Cha, be neurotic.

Well so far the campaign I am in has just started so almost nothing has happened, however I seem to be playing my Ultra-smart with slightly higher than average Wizard and decent Wisdom as a sort of naive Shounen protagonist who is overly eager to do the right thing and kind of approaches things like Gon/Goku and is really confident but seems to get himself into trouble, which is fun to play, but not really playing to the actual stats or strengths of the character, haha.

Kane0
2017-08-21, 07:30 PM
I usually default back to 'me' when I get stuck roleplaying. This happens most often when starting a new system/campaign/character but also occurs frequently when i'm DMing and have to come up with an NPC on the fly.
I suppose it's common, but it's something i'm working on.

Laserlight
2017-08-21, 08:52 PM
Pick a character trait and play it up at every opportunity. The halfling Don Juan who flirts with every female humanoid he runs across. The redneck paladin who acts like a cheerful Gomer Pyle, including the accent. The warlock who sees the other party members as expendable, and points that out to at least one of them every session ("You, the elf --if you don't take cover when giants are throwing boulders at us, you won't survive long enough for me to sacrifice you to my unholy patron.") The mad priest of Vulcan, who never avoids fire damage or explosions. Paint that trait in broad strokes--you're not trying for subtlety.
Once you get that trait firmly established, you can add another trait. The warlock is also a foodie, and is always asking for exotic spices; the halfling wants to be a bard, and will be torn between taking those two elves upstairs or staying to listen to the master lutist.

Sir cryosin
2017-08-22, 02:32 PM
Try different things like. Change up your speech patterns. For example
YO!! What's up man how it been.
Hey!! How have you faired sent I last saw you.

Try any kind of voice you can try talking with out moving one side of your mouth. What I like to do when in in the car I'll say the same line over and over while contorting my face and my lips and my mouth in different shapes. They produce different accents.

Change the speed of has fast or slow you talk. It does works.

Also look up lines of magical jargon

RumoCrytuf
2017-08-22, 03:33 PM
In a current campaign I rolled a Wizard with an 18 Intelligence and a 15 Charisma, yet no matter what I can't seem to play him "right". I always make him into a very charismatic but kind of naive and oblivious person (his wisdom is 13) and he never comes off as particularly smart. This happens with all my characters. Extremely personable and charismatic...even if they have a low charisma.

Do you guys ever feel like you become stuck in a "character actor" state, like how Will Ferrel plays the same guy in every movie?

It seems to be an instinct I can't shake.

Any of you guys struggle with RPing different "types" of characters? I seem to only have "Charismatic Caster" or "Feral Savage Barbarian" and nothing in between.

Start by defining your characters alignment or their quirks.

Example 1 (Defining Alignment):
We'll start with an evil character. Let's name him Rumo (hey!). Why is he evil? Was he born that way? Or did some event happen that perverted his view on the world? If he was born that way, why? Is he part of an inherently evil race, such as a Drow or Tiefling? Was he cursed by someone while in his mothers womb to sow destruction upon the world?

If he turned evil, why? Was he betrayed by a group that was supposed to be "Good"? Did he lose someone precious to him, causing him to lose faith in the goodness of some greater power? Was he an outcast, shamed as evil despite it not being so, and decided to become the monster they made him?

We've got a character who could go several ways. He could be any kind of evil, and we haven't even decided what makes him unique!

Example 2 (Defining Quirks):
Does your character have a particular quirk that sets them apart from the rest of the party? Are they unnaturally afraid of some environment or a particular monster? Do they have an obsession with a particular object or ritual? Why?

Let's take a character. We'll name him Scorch. He's a wizard who has a habit of setting things on fire and is deathly afraid of the dark. Whenever in underground caves or anywhere that doesn't have a natural light source, he insists on being in the safest position with a lot of torches/lanterns. Whenever the party camps, he always lights a large bonfire.

We've given him two quirks that make him different from anyone else he'll likely be travelling with, and we haven't decided his alignment!

Point is, you have options. Remember, your character is more than numbers on a sheet. Make them unique!

Also, when looking for inspiration, use religious mythology and folklore. I have a character Kushiel after the Judeo-Christian Angel of Punishment. Guess what kind of character he is. :P

Have fun!

Ravinsild
2017-08-22, 04:07 PM
Also, when looking for inspiration, use religious mythology and folklore. I have a character Kushiel after the Judeo-Christian Angel of Punishment. Guess what kind of character he is. :P

Have fun!

I'm going to guess Frank Castle or Tyrael (From Diablo).

Edit: For what it's worth my character in the beginning was good, was betrayed and had everything taken from him by humans, learned hemomancy from a teacher deep in a forgotten swamp and eventually went mad learning his craft and killing everyone he met succumbing to the darkness and revenge in his heart. He was then killed and brought back to life by the Raven Queen when he attacked her, thinking she was just another random lady, and cursed to feel remorse and repentance for all of his wickness and to go out into the world to be a hero.

I didn't want to make him a broody, introspective guy, but rather like an excited hero in training with a second lease on life. I play him like a kid from My Hero Academina, or Gon from Hunter X Hunter or young Goku more or less. Doesn't really think things through and always takes the straightest course.

The inspiration for the character was Vladimir from League of Legends and Buffy from Angel haha.