PDA

View Full Version : Build: The Eldritch Monk

talsubach
2017-08-21, 11:12 AM
Alrighty, this is a monk build that is mostly magic based. You start as a monk, and take 8 fighter levels afterwards, with the Eldritch Knight archetype. This is essentially just a summary.
Gold - This is probably extremely usefull.
Blue - A pretty good choice.
Black - Solid.
Red - This is bad. Very bad.

================================================== ================================================== ========================

STATS
RACES
FEATURES
SPELLS
FEATS
GENERAL GAMPEPLAY

================================================== ================================================== ========================
Strength - Dump. You dont need this, you dont want this. The only times it might pop up useful is during ability checks.
Dexterity- This is your unarmed attack ability. Make this your highest stat.
Constituation - I would advise against dumping this, so I'd make it a 10-12.
Intelligence - You do need this. This is your spellcasting attribute, and without this, you're a normal monk.
Wisdom - I would advise against dumping this, as it is related to many important saving throws, and this affects your AC.
Charisma - Eh? Are you a party face or somethin'? You have enough stats to worry about. So dump.
Dwarf - Not much good here, save Dwarven Resillience and Darkvision, and possibly Stonecunning.
Hill Dwarf - If you have to go dwarf, atleast pick this subrace, which gives you more health and helps you spend less on wisdom.
Mountain Dwarf Strength? Armor? You dont want those two...

Elf - Overall, good features. An increase to dexterity, too.
High Elf - This almost got Black because of the Combat Training feature, but giving you a free wizard cantrip (Which you desperately need) covers that up. An intelligence bonus is also good.
Wood Elf - Pretty nice, you dont need Combat Training though. The rest can prove rather usefull.
Drow - The ONLY good thing here is Superior Darkvision. Unadvised.

Halfling - Good ole' Halfling. Lucky? Good. Ability increase? Good. Brave? Usefull.
Stout - Nice, better then the other subrace.
Lightfoot - Charisma? No thanks.

Human - +1 to every stat? Cheapens lots of costs. Usefull.
Human (Variant) - +1 feat and one more skill? Good.

Dragonborn - Not suitable. I dont see anything good here.

Gnome - More intelligence is always for the better.
Forest Gnome - You give more dexterity, too? Plus a Minor Illusion. Very good.
Rock Gnome - Nothing usefull in particular, though more Constituation is always nice.
Deep Gnome - A feat to get more spells that rely on Intelligence? More dexterity? Awesome.

Half-Elf - Charisma is a bad sign, though getting to choose two other stats is good. More skills is nice, I guess? This gets blue if you get the Sword Coast's Legends's Half-High Elf for the extra cantrip.

Half-Orc - Hm? Did someone say strength? Well, we dont need strength. Relentless Endurance is good, though, and Savage Attacks is too.

Tiefling - Resistance to fire is nice, and keeps this from being red, nothing else that catches the eye though.
Tiefling (Variant) - This gets gold if you pick the winged variant.
(The Mutliclass is 8 Eldritch Knight/ 12 Monk, starting as a LvL1 Monk.)

Unarmored Defense: This lowers your AC by 2 unless you have a high enough Wisdom to take care of this. Essentially the developer's way of saying: "Monk, get Wisdom, or get rekt."

Martial Arts - This is your bread. Or butter. You use dexterity for attack checks while unarmed? Good. You deal more damage unarmed? Sweet. Another unarmed strike as a bonus action? Not the best, considering we will use bonus actions for spells, majorly.

Fighting Style - You fight unarmed. No fighting style helps you with that.

Second Wind - Seems pretty usefull to me.

Ki - Not alote to say here. It's Ki. It gives good abilities.

Unarmoured Movement - More movement? Sounds good.

Action Surge More punches? Neat.

Monastic Tradition - Way of the Open Hand. Your spellcasting is Intelligence-based. You dont want to use Wisdom-based spells that affect enemies.

Deflect Arrow - Nice enough. Situational though.

Figher Archetype - Gain your magical power. This is where the build gets interesting.

Spellcasting - Not much to say here. It's magic.

Weapon Bond - Make sure to bind your weapon unless you dont have one. We are the latter case.

Extra Attack - Being able to attack twice is awesome.

Stunning Strike - Your Wisdom isnt in the sky, so this isnt the best.

Ki-Empowered Senses - Nice, I guess. You do have magic for this, though.

War Magic - Hell yeah. You want this. Being able to cast spells and punch people is awesome.

Stillness of the Mind - You dont want to be affected by things of wisdom saving throws, do you

Purity of the Body - This is situational, but when you need this, you need this.
Spells... Honestly, and we're talking about your Eldritch Knight's spells, I'd pick damaging spells, and Shield. This is entirely up to you, though. Do remember you can only cast spells of LvL 1 and LvL 2, and cantrips. Pick your cantrips WISELY, you only have two of those usually, and you can cast them to any amount. Witch Bolt is a good option, due to the long duration and damage-over-time.
Feats... I wont talk about them individually, but Magic Initiate can be usefull, only to get more wizard spells or druid/cleric spells, though, and only spells that require no rolls in Cleric/Druid case.. Tavern Brawler may work too.
Essentially, you start as a monk, and take fighter levels untill you are lvl 8 Eldritch Knight. I figure you use cantrips mostly, here, due to the low amount of casts per day of spells. To compensate for the low Armor Class, use Shield and Mage Armor, (Your AC will turn quite high) and you probably will have an HP pool larger then most monks, so you are also good for tanking or taking damage. Another thing; this build is a Jack of All trades, slightly. Can fill most roles, and especially a good tank. Now that I look back at it, Deflect Arrow and Archery might work well together.

Well, I guess the 3 last sections were thin, but I am looking forward feedback. Thanks for reading!

Aett_Thorn
2017-08-21, 11:15 AM
Just FYI: that yellow color that you chose to use for "extremely useful" is almost impossible to read against the white background.

Also, as far as stats go, you have Charisma rated higher on your scale than Wisdom. That seems odd, considering how useful Wisdom is for Monks.

talsubach
2017-08-21, 11:20 AM
Just FYI: that yellow color that you chose to use for "extremely useful" is almost impossible to read against the white background.

Also, as far as stats go, you have Charisma rated higher on your scale than Wisdom. That seems odd, considering how useful Wisdom is for Monks.

Yeah, I know Wisdom is very usefull for Monks. On this you have to rely on Intelligence, though. And I am not trying to make this build unique by 'purposefully' going against the normal monk. The thing is, you have to focus on Intelligence for spellcasting, while you use the monk part for non-magical combat, mostly. It's hard to focus on 3 stats, and require many attributes this way. I prefer to keep with focusing on two stats. Some monk abilities become less usefull, due to the lack of wisdom. Also, will fix the color.

EDIT: Color fixed.

EDIT 2: Yes, I accidently rated Charisma too high. Mistaken the colors.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-08-21, 11:31 AM
I'm, uh, not really sure what the point or plan here, is. It kind of feels like you're just saying "Monk/EK multiclass!!!" without really discussion how that works-- nothing about why it's worth doing, nothing about what order to take levels, nothing about compensating for weaknesses...

smcmike
2017-08-21, 11:37 AM
This is a very confusing build guide. You don't need to rank all the class abilities, just tell us what you are trying to accomplish with the build! What are the advantages over a regular monk or regular Eldritch Knight? What do you plan to actually do in combat?

talsubach
2017-08-21, 11:40 AM
This is a very confusing build guide. You don't need to rank all the class abilities, just tell us what you are trying to accomplish with the build! What are the advantages over a regular monk or regular Eldritch Knight? What do you plan to actually do in combat?

Alrighty, will do! Gonna edit that now.

Lombra
2017-08-21, 11:44 AM
Typo: ki empowered strikes, not ki empowered senses

rbstr
2017-08-21, 11:48 AM
I don't understand this build. Or maybe you don't understand the Martial Arts feature?

THis is because you say you don't want to use Unarmored Defense but you don't get to use martial arts if you're wearing armor. So either you're not using...any armor at all or your punches can't use dex? Or are you using Mage Armor?

Also, Dueling is a really great fighting style for a monk. It's compatible with most monk weapons. It's fantastic!

Maxilian
2017-08-21, 11:48 AM
How many Monks lvl you plan on taking? as you point out Stunning Strike and other abilities, it means that you are going to take 5+ lvl on monk (making the lvl 5 monk not that good for you as you woul already have extra attack for the Fighter -and they don't stack)

Also, the combination is weird, what do you get from monk? You already get the chance to attack with your bonus action with EK, so you don't get much to do with the Monk Bonus Action ability. (excluding those moments where you want to Dodge or Dash as a bonus action or make more than one attack with your bonus action, but you don't have that many ki points to do this many times). -Could get the Dash bonus with Mobile feat, so no need for that either.

smcmike
2017-08-21, 12:00 PM
Essentially, at LvL 9, you go in, you attempt to cast a cantrip, then punch. Rather simple, I guess.

This seems to be the entirety of the plan here, and it would work better if you didn't bother with any monk levels and just used a sword.

So, let's make this a challenge. What EK/Monk combination does do something useful and interesting?

talsubach
2017-08-21, 12:07 PM
This seems to be the entirety of the plan here, and it would work better if you didn't bother with any monk levels and just used a sword.

So, let's make this a challenge. What EK/Monk combination does do something useful and interesting?

I didnt finish editing yet, please wait.

talsubach
2017-08-21, 12:08 PM
I don't understand this build. Or maybe you don't understand the Martial Arts feature?

THis is because you say you don't want to use Unarmored Defense but you don't get to use martial arts if you're wearing armor. So either you're not using...any armor at all or your punches can't use dex? Or are you using Mage Armor?

Also, Dueling is a really great fighting style for a monk. It's compatible with most monk weapons. It's fantastic!

Mage Armor and Shield. Spellcasting can make up for the problem that Unarmoured Defense gives.

Maxilian
2017-08-21, 12:10 PM
(The Mutliclass is 8 Eldritch Knight/ 12 Monk, starting as a LvL1 Monk.)

Unarmored Defense: This lowers your AC by 2 unless you have a high enough Wisdom to take care of this. Essentially the developer's way of saying: "Monk, get Wisdom, or get rekt."

Have in mind that if you use Armor, you cannot get the Martial Arts bonus, so will have to deal with the low AC (Can deal with that with a Hit and Run tactics, the Mobile Feat may help with that)

Martial Arts - This is your bread. Or butter. You use dexterity for attack checks while unarmed? Good. You deal more damage unarmed? Sweet. Another unarmed strike as a bonus action? Not the best, considering we will use bonus actions for spells, majorly.

Bonus action for spells? (There are some spells) but don't you mean your action and then use the bonus action attack given by the EK?
Also bread and butter? are you sure, this only increase your damage dice by 1 category (from d6 to d8) you could just use a finesse weapon (like Scymitar), and the boost in damage will be only in the last 2 lvls (11 and 12 monk)

Fighting Style - You fight unarmed. No fighting style helps you with that.

I think the Dueling does apply... (unsure)

Ki - Not alote to say here. It's Ki. It gives good abilities.

"Good abilities", have in mind that you are sacrificing the extras Feats / Asis given by the Fighter (That could have given you Mobile, reducing the lost of Unarmoured Movement, and making the Dash / Disengage Bonus action ability useless) -Can take advantage of the 2 unarmed attacks with it.

Monastic Tradition - Way of the Open Hand. Your spellcasting is Intelligence-based. You dont want to use Wisdom-based spells that affect enemies.

Then why of the Open Hand? that's the worst option for someone that lacks Wisdom (Way of shadow does not require much WIS, and Sunsoul monk give you a range option, and make it less relevant your lack of AC).

Deflect Arrow - Nice enough. Situational though.

Pretty good, mainly because of your lack of AC, if you can stay at range, better (The Mobile feat or going with Sun Soul Monk may help with this).

Stillness of the Mind - You dont want to be affected by things of wisdom saving throws, do you

This is quite good, thanks to your lack of WIS.

Spells... Honestly, and we're talking about your Eldritch Knight's spells, I'd pick damaging spells, and Shield. This is entirely up to you, though. Do remember you can only cast spells of LvL 1 and LvL 2, and cantrips. Pick your cantrips WISELY.

Having in mind your lack of AC, shield is an OK spell, mainly because you may use it so much that it will consume most of your spell slots.

Feats... I wont talk about them individually, but Magic Initiate can be usefull, only to get more wizard spells or druid/cleric spells, though, and only spells that require no rolls in Cleric/Druid case.. Tavern Brawler may work too.

Why would you want TB? You already have a lot of things that take your Bonus action (so you don't want more things that fight over it), and the increase in damage for your unarmed attacks is irrelevant for you as a Monk, MI is an OK feat.

Essentially, at LvL 9, you go in, you attempt to cast a cantrip, then punch. Rather simple, I guess. Remember, do not try to use Charisma checks or the like.

So... just like a normal EK but doing less damage? (as you will only have 1 lvl in Monk, making your attack only deal 1d4, so by that point it would be the same to just have an EK with TB feat and ignore the Monk lvls -or make the EK a Tabaxi (they get to attack with the claw for 1d4 as Unarmed Attack) or a Lizardfolk (get to attack with the bite for 1d6) and take just 1 monk lvl for the sake of making it Dex based.

Note: Lizardfolk also give you another way to calculate your AC (13+ DEX) so it may be a buff for you (as you lack WIS)

Can even just go 4 lvl Monks instead of 6, so you get the Unarmed Strike into DEX, get the ASIS and get Deflect Missile.

talsubach
2017-08-21, 12:12 PM
How many Monks lvl you plan on taking? as you point out Stunning Strike and other abilities, it means that you are going to take 5+ lvl on monk (making the lvl 5 monk not that good for you as you woul already have extra attack for the Fighter -and they don't stack)

Also, the combination is weird, what do you get from monk? You already get the chance to attack with your bonus action with EK, so you don't get much to do with the Monk Bonus Action ability. (excluding those moments where you want to Dodge or Dash as a bonus action or make more than one attack with your bonus action, but you don't have that many ki points to do this many times). -Could get the Dash bonus with Mobile feat, so no need for that either.

I take 8 Eldritch Knight levels, the rest are monks. From Monk? Quicker, and better at unarmed combat. I was looking to more of a Monk with magic, less then an Eldritch Knight with monk features, even though the levels imply otherwise.

Maxilian
2017-08-21, 12:13 PM
I take 8 Eldritch Knight levels, the rest are monks. From Monk? Quicker, and better at unarmed combat. I was looking to more of a Monk with magic, less then an Eldritch Knight with monk features, even though the levels imply otherwise.

Don't think that because you have more lvls in a class, you are mainly that class, what defines you, is the style of your character. (not the quantity of lvls on X class)

Grod_The_Giant
2017-08-21, 12:16 PM

I could see dipping into Monk after Fighter 7-8 or so. An EK is an excellent tank as-is, but throw in Patient Defense and Deflect Missiles...? Maybe even Touch of Death? And you get that lovely, lovely Stunning Strike for control, of course. Or heck, Flurry is a decent damage booster even with just Tavern Brawler, and if you didn't dump Wis the Open Hand techniques are worth a shot. It's sort of like getting the best bits of EK and Battle Master.

EDIT:

Sorcerer. Sorcerer makes a great gish, and you can get your Shield/Enlarge-Reduce/Misty Step/whatever quicker and cast your spells as bonus actions. Dragon Sorcerer works alright if you want to drop your Wisdom, but you shouldn't need to. Monk 5-6/Sorcerer 3-4/the rest Monk ought to do you just fine.

talsubach
2017-08-21, 12:18 PM
Don't think that because you have more lvls in a class, you are mainly that class, what defines you, is the style of your character. (not the quantity of lvls on X class)

I didnt claim so. Most of the game you have mostly Eldritch Knight lvls. Also, Im trying to re-write the gameplay section currently.

Maxilian
2017-08-21, 12:19 PM
I could see dipping into Monk after Fighter 7-8 or so. An EK is an excellent tank as-is, but throw in Patient Defense and Deflect Missiles...? Maybe even Touch of Death? And you get that lovely, lovely Stunning Strike for control, of course. Or heck, Flurry is a decent damage booster even with just Tavern Brawler, and if you didn't dump Wis the Open Hand techniques are worth a shot. It's sort of like getting the best bits of EK and Battle Master.

Have in mind that he is dumping WIS (Well not dumping but not its main stat so a 12 or something), so don't expect much of Stunning Strike.

TB do nothing (As the monk lvl already put your Unarmed Attack on D4 damage and the bonus action to grapple, is already something you can do with the bonus action of the monk -but less limited-)

Easy_Lee
2017-08-21, 12:23 PM
I don't think this build is worth the cost. A pure monk is better at being a monk and a pure EK is better at being an EK. There's not much overlap in the roles they fill.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-08-21, 12:24 PM
Have in mind that he is dumping WIS (Well not dumping but not its main stat so a 12 or something), so don't expect much of Stunning Strike.

TB do nothing (As the monk lvl already put your Unarmed Attack on D4 damage and the bonus action to grapple, is already something you can do with the bonus action of the monk -but less limited-)
It doesn't cost you an action, so it's not a huge loss. Just don't dump Wis and it's worth a shot. Saves are a crapshoot in this game anyway.

For Tavern Brawler, I assumed you'd be sticking to proper armor, as opposed to trying to spread out to cover Wis.

talsubach
2017-08-21, 12:27 PM
It doesn't cost you an action, so it's not a huge loss. Just don't dump Wis and it's worth a shot. Saves are a crapshoot in this game anyway.

For Tavern Brawler, I assumed you'd be sticking to proper armor, as opposed to trying to spread out to cover Wis.

With Mage Armor and Shield, you barely need armor. This build is not DUMPING wisdom, since that even reduces your AC. More of medium (12) stat.
EDIT: Assuming you use an Optimal race, your dex is 17, most likely. With Shield and Mage Armor, that becomes 21 AC.

imtodd
2017-08-21, 12:35 PM
With Mage Armor and Shield, you barely need armor. This build is not DUMPING wisdom, since that even reduces your AC. More of medium (12) stat.
EDIT: Assuming you use an Optimal race, your dex is 17, most likely. With Shield and Mage Armor, that becomes 21.

You can't dump Wisdom anyway. You need to maintain a 13 to MC with Monk.

Easy_Lee
2017-08-21, 12:39 PM
If you're trying to maximize AC while still being combat capable, why not monk 1 / bladesinger X? You get to wield a quarterstaff with dexterity as your arcane focus, your AC while bladesinging is 10+Wis+Dex+Int, and as a wizard you can cast the Shield spell quite a few times. If you have the stats required to multiclass monk into EK, I suspect monk / bladesinger would be a superior build in every way.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-08-21, 12:51 PM
EDIT: Assuming you use an Optimal race, your dex is 17, most likely. With Shield and Mage Armor, that becomes 21 AC.
Yeah, but you only get Shield a few times/day, so you can't really count that. Properly speaking, you're looking at AC 16-18 for 8 hours a stretch (depending on how events unfold, you might need two castings).

Aett_Thorn
2017-08-21, 01:01 PM

If you're mainly using your spellcasting for Mage Armor and Shield, then you can dump Int much more easily than you can Wis. If this is what you're going to be focusing on, then just leave Int at whatever you want, but make Wis your second-highest score, to get even more AC. If you're going to be using your EK spellcasting for offensive spells, then you're not going to have many slots left for Mage Armor or Shield.

smcmike
2017-08-21, 01:19 PM
If you're mainly using your spellcasting for Mage Armor and Shield, then you can dump Int much more easily than you can Wis. If this is what you're going to be focusing on, then just leave Int at whatever you want, but make Wis your second-highest score, to get even more AC. If you're going to be using your EK spellcasting for offensive spells, then you're not going to have many slots left for Mage Armor or Shield.

Yeah. You can make this build work ok if you dump INT and keep wisdom high, and use spells for defensive purposes. EK 12/Shadow Monk 8 can be a highly mobile striker with the ability to throw down 8 attacks in a round, use Shield for very high AC, and use deflect missiles, evasion, and stillness of mind for added layers of defense.

talsubach
2017-08-21, 01:41 PM

Im using my LvL 1 spellslots for defense purposes. Nothing said for cantrips. Cantrips are my main magical attack.
EDIT: Another thing, this build is rather tanky due to the fighter levels, which make up for the "low" AC.

talsubach
2017-08-21, 01:46 PM
You can't dump Wisdom anyway. You need to maintain a 13 to MC with Monk.

Im starting as a monk. Please read the full post before commenting such.

mephnick
2017-08-21, 01:48 PM
Im starting as a monk. Please read the full post before commenting such.

You need to meet the proper requirements to multiclass out of a class as well as in. You still need 13 WIS.

talsubach
2017-08-21, 01:48 PM
If you're trying to maximize AC while still being combat capable, why not monk 1 / bladesinger X? You get to wield a quarterstaff with dexterity as your arcane focus, your AC while bladesinging is 10+Wis+Dex+Int, and as a wizard you can cast the Shield spell quite a few times. If you have the stats required to multiclass monk into EK, I suspect monk / bladesinger would be a superior build in every way.

Bladesinger dosent (As far as I know) the War Magic feature. This is NOT to maximize AC, but rather to make up with the problems that the 12-10 Wisdom give to the AC.

talsubach
2017-08-21, 01:49 PM
You need to meet the proper requirements to multiclass out of a class as well as in. You still need 13 WIS.

That's one more Wisdom then 12. Still, not very hard.

talsubach
2017-08-21, 01:54 PM
Know the rules before commenting such?

Alright, I did a mistake. I do not claim to memorize all of the rules. Very well.

smcmike
2017-08-21, 01:58 PM
Im using my LvL 1 spellslots for defense purposes. Nothing said for cantrips. Cantrips are my main magical attack.

Which cantrips?

EDIT: Another thing, this build is rather tanky due to the fighter levels, which make up for the "low" AC.

Less tanky than a dedicated fighter or a dedicated monk.

talsubach
2017-08-21, 02:02 PM
Which cantrips?

Cantrips: True Strike, Firebolt, Shocking Grasp (One from High Elf)

Edit: Replaced one cantrip

Less tanky then fighter - true. Less tanky then monk? Not so sure.

Easy_Lee
2017-08-21, 02:07 PM

Also less useful to the party. A dedicated monk can keep targets from acting with successful stuns. That can save a party from a bad situation.

Aett_Thorn
2017-08-21, 02:08 PM
Cantrips: True Strike, Firebolt, Shocking Grasp (One from High Elf)

Edit: Replaced one cantrip

True Strike is pretty much a complete trap option of a cantrip. Better to just attack twice than to use that.

talsubach
2017-08-21, 02:09 PM
Also less useful to the party. A dedicated monk can keep targets from acting with successful stuns. That can save a party from a bad situation.

And this can use a spell which does something similiar. (I.e Hold Person/Charm Person, etc, or similiar)

smcmike
2017-08-21, 02:17 PM

Standard monk will have higher base AC and faster access to monk abilities which provide defense, mobility, and healing.

Easy_Lee
2017-08-21, 02:20 PM
And this can use a spell which does something similiar. (I.e Hold Person/Charm Person, etc, or similiar)

Not as often, and you give up your action to do it. Stunning strike acts like smite. There's no comparison for control between a pure monk and an EK.

Citan
2017-08-21, 02:22 PM
I'm, uh, not really sure what the point or plan here, is. It kind of feels like you're just saying "Monk/EK multiclass!!!" without really discussion how that works-- nothing about why it's worth doing, nothing about what order to take levels, nothing about compensating for weaknesses...
My same sentiment here...

But let's take it as a thread asking for feedback on this particular multiclass build...

Yeah, I know Wisdom is very usefull for Monks. On this you have to rely on Intelligence, though. And I am not trying to make this build unique by 'purposefully' going against the normal monk. The thing is, you have to focus on Intelligence for spellcasting, while you use the monk part for non-magical combat, mostly. It's hard to focus on 3 stats, and require many attributes this way. I prefer to keep with focusing on two stats. Some monk abilities become less usefull, due to the lack of wisdom. Also, will fix the color.

EDIT: Color fixed.

EDIT 2: Yes, I accidently rated Charisma too high. Mistaken the colors.

I'm sorry but I'd say it's really not very good.
1. Way of the Open Hand: with 8 levels in Fighter you never get the great Quivering Palm (nor Diamond Soul by the way). With that say, the free control on Flurry of Blows is the second best feature of the way, and you totally undermine it with a very low WIS (as well as Stunning Strike and Unarmored AC). What's the point of taking it then?
2. Eldricht Knight spellcasting: with a slightly increased MADness compared to a pure EK or a pure Monk, it would be difficult to pump a good enough INT to really make offensive spell count. And your build stops EK leveling before it gets Eldricht Strike so you cannot count on this to compensate either.
3. AC: Martial Arts require no armor, Extra Attack is redundant. Either you go Unarmored to keep all benefits of a Monk, and you are even more frail than a normal Monk (because of low WIS). Or you wear an armor like a Fighter but then you lose the Martial Arts benefit (including the great permanent bonus action attack).
So, ok, I saw you counted on Mage Armor which is a great idea, but that's one less slot (of which you already have a very limited number) just for the sake of AC. And Shield is even more situational (1 round), so you cannot count it as a always available boost. Beyond that, FYI, you can perfectly "stack" Mage Armor with Unarmored: Mage Armor is a spell effect so it would supercede the Unarmored AC while it lasts. :)

I like the idea of this kind of multiclass, but some of your suggestions kinda feels actively wanting to handicap oneself.
I would strongly suggest either or all of the following...

MONK way
1. Dump INT: you never get that much casting in the first place, and it would be hard to pump stat high enough to really be worth it. INT solely serves EK spellcasting so it's really low priority: pick buff and utility and be done with it.
2. Instead, if you want ranged/AOE damage, pick Sun Soul or 4E: with dump INT, you can manage proper Monkish stats (so good WIS), so much better overall.
3. Drop Fighter to 4: War Magic is nice but not worth going that high. Extra ASI at level 6 is nice, but not worth "wasting" a whole level with redundant Extra Attack. If you want more casting, pick levels in Cleric or Druid: they bring much more spellcasting overall (more spell, more versatility, more slots) for a lesser cost.
This character is like a Monk with some added defense and versatility, with an extremely wide array of options for past character level 8: plain Monk (get Diamond Soul), multiclass Rogue (better mobility and skills), Druid or Cleric (better spells)...

OR...
Aim for Eldricht Knight 11 in final build to get Eldricht Strike, keep good INT, dump WIS to minimal for multiclass. Start Fighter up to 5, immediately dip Monk up to 4 then whatever suits you. Wear armor and possibly shield (so you ditch Martial Arts), pick Shadow Monk instead of Open Hand and juse your Ki reserve solely on Dodge, Dash or Shadow spells (which you can keep easier thanks to Constitution saving throws proficiency), also enjoying the added mobility of Monk's Shadow Step bonus action to enhance the effective reach of your improved Extra Attack.
This character can make a very nasty anti-caster with Mage Slayer and a Rogue dip for Expertise into the mix (rush and grapple a caster into a Silence zone for example).