PDA

View Full Version : Expanding on the Work of Banned Users

Realms of Chaos
2017-08-21, 12:21 PM
Hello there. I PM'd this question to a homebrew forum moderator a couple weeks ago and haven't heard back so I thought that it might belong here.

For fun (and for my own use), I decided to expand on a magic system that a user created seven years ago. While I'm perfectly happy to keep these for my own use, I was thinking of posting them on these boards in one of two forms and wanted to check if one or both of them violated forum rules.

1. Post the new "spells" on their own with a link to the original thread. I imagine that this route would be far less objectionable as I am not actually copying any of the original text (and this hopefully doesn't count as glorifying banned members).
2. Post a base class that uses these "spells" (the original thread was a 3.5 prestige class), posting a link to the original to give proper attribution. While I wouldn't have to replicate the actual "spells" from the original thread, I would still have to replicate the "spellcasting mechanic" with minor changes (much as any soulbinding class needs the soul binding class feature).

While I'd prefer the second option... yeah, this is something that I really need to check.

Roland St. Jude
2017-08-21, 07:18 PM
Sheriff: I would suggest #1, at most. Preferably, you'd just let sleeping threads lie and no re-link to it. It's hard to make any reference to a banned poster without memorializing, glorifying, or discussing the banned poster in some way. And there's the added question of whether you have the banned poster's permission to publish a derivative work based on their original work.