PDA

View Full Version : Savage Worlds Question - Fleet Footed

Gr7mm Bobb
2017-08-21, 01:18 PM
Ok, so I've been doing savage worlds for about a year now, mostly Interface Zero (Fantastic btw, especially if you like cyberpunk or Bladrunner styled future games). We recently decided as a group to crack open the can of worms that is the Super Power Compendium. As expected it has caused the occasional snag in interpretation as well as when dashed with other modules. Most recent being what creatures Shape Change is limited to.

The current questio that does not have an answer is if the background edge, Fleet Footed affects other pace values (flying and swimming and such). I can see it swing both ways and blanket like the Ace professional edge. The other thought is that it would only apply to land pace and therefore require homebrew edges for each movement that you want to affect.

I tried to use the savagpedia wiki and the Pinnacle FAQs. But sadly pinnacles servers have been on a permanant hiatus for quite some time. If anyone knows a better spot to look for this sort of thing please let me know.

LibraryOgre
2017-08-21, 03:37 PM
Ok, so I've been doing savage worlds for about a year now, mostly Interface Zero (Fantastic btw, especially if you like cyberpunk or Bladrunner styled future games). We recently decided as a group to crack open the can of worms that is the Super Power Compendium and as expected it has caused the occasional snag in interpretation. Most recent being what creatures Shape Change is limited to.

The currwnt one that does not have an answer is if the background edge, Fleet Footed affects other pace values (flying and swimming and such). I can see it swing both ways and blanket like the Ace professional edge. The other thought is that it would only apply to land pace and therefore require homebrew edges for each movement that you want to affect.

I tried to use the savagpedia wiki and the Pinnacle FAQs, but pinnacles servers have been on a permanant hiatus for quite some time. I anyone knows a better spot to look for this sort of thing please let me know.

I would say that Fleet Footed would apply only to land movement. The increased Running die definitely does (since it mentions it applies "when running"). If other movement modes key off the basic Pace, I would increase those, too. So, if he flies at "Pace -2", then he'll fly at Pace -2, and it will be affected by Fleet Footed's bonus. If he swims at a pace of 3, however, Fleet Footed would not apply.

Gr7mm Bobb
2017-08-24, 01:49 PM
I would say that Fleet Footed would apply only to land movement. The increased Running die definitely does (since it mentions it applies "when running"). If other movement modes key off the basic Pace, I would increase those, too. So, if he flies at "Pace -2", then he'll fly at Pace -2, and it will be affected by Fleet Footed's bonus. If he swims at a pace of 3, however, Fleet Footed would not apply.

Super appreciate the swift reply. So far I have noticed that the savage deluxe system likes to avoid the derived statistics shennanigens that other systems (looking at you 3.PF) had that could be exploited with forceful application of RAW. One of the few exceptions is often burrow pace which is calculated for most PC abilities as their 'walking' pace or a fraction of it.

From what I can tell, it shouldn't be too game breaking to produce edges for specific paces beyond the normal walking pace with the same values (not stacking in the event of paces derived from others). Thank you for your help.

LibraryOgre
2017-08-29, 10:12 AM
Super appreciate the swift reply. So far I have noticed that the savage deluxe system likes to avoid the derived statistics shennanigens that other systems (looking at you 3.PF) had that could be exploited with forceful application of RAW. One of the few exceptions is often burrow pace which is calculated for most PC abilities as their 'walking' pace or a fraction of it.

From what I can tell, it shouldn't be too game breaking to produce edges for specific paces beyond the normal walking pace with the same values (not stacking in the event of paces derived from others). Thank you for your help.

So, a fun Palladium story:

Palladium Fantasy RPG has several races with a digging speed... BUT NO EXPLANATION OF WHAT THAT MEANS. Using the speed rules for land speed is particularly weird and useless, since it means digging at insane speeds, and nothing says you can't take the running skill and get 4d4 added to your digging speed (an average attribute is 3d6).

When I wrote an article about troglodytes (a particularly underused species of creature), I wound up staring at that and having to whole-cloth fabricate rules about it... because in 15 years of having digging speeds, Palladium never bothered to say what they were.

Myself, if I were to derive a burrow pace for Savage Worlds? I'd use Strength as a base, and subtract size from whatever I came up with.