PDA

View Full Version : Rule Question domain power sudden shift

ScarletThief
2017-08-21, 06:39 PM
So I was looking over this ability for a gnoll that I was setting up for a game later and wasn't finding any details on how it interacts with actions and such.
Sudden Shift (Sp): In the blink of an eye, you can appear somewhere else. As an immediate action, after you are missed by a melee attack, you can teleport up to 10 feet to a space that you can see. This space must be inside the reach of the creature that attacked you. You can use this power a number of times each day equal to 3 + your Wisdom modifier.
My question is how does this work with full round and equivalent actions like if a monk used flurry of blows and I used sudden shift to move behind him after the first attack would he not be able to target me or does facing not act like that, could it be used to dodge area of effect abilities if they were used simultaneously with an effect I could use sudden strike to dodge?

tyckspoon
2017-08-21, 06:58 PM
3.5 doesn't use facing unless you're using a particular set of optional and/or house rules to apply it, so that ability basically reads as 'you may use an immediate action to teleport into a flanking position' to me - it won't get you out of being attacked by anything that was already able to attack you. Could be amusing combined with things like the Sun School tactical feat's ability to make an attack after a teleport or Shadow Pounce.

For the second part of your question, D&D kind of throws up its hands and just gives up at the idea of simultaneous events and interrupts like immediate actions.. so if you actually manage to have this situation come up, the answer is probably 'ask your DM.'