PDA

View Full Version : Tabaxi Swashbuckler help pretty please

KitSith
2017-08-22, 08:30 AM
So i am in a 5e game currently playing a war cleric, but due to recent events(namely having a -2 cha modifier and frequently trying to talk to giant things that get offended easily) have decided to roll up a backup ground character, i have the stats and race picked out and really like the feel of swashbuckler, but alot of the later levels have meh abilities, i have 18, 18, 12, 10, 9, 9 for my stats(really uneven rolls, i know XD) our party consists of a dragonborn Eldritch knight, a half elf druid of the moon, human necromancer, and a dragonborn psion, i guess my question would be is multiclassing worth it or jsut stay rogue, and if it is worth it what would be the most usefull, i have asked the DM and it is RAW so warlock invocations go off of player level not warlock level, i know you all probably see posts like this all the time so i am grateful for the opinion =D.
other info: i got to play a swashbuckler in a one off and really loved the mobility, i have also only been casters so it is somethign new XD
Thank you in advance =D

GorogIrongut
2017-08-22, 08:43 AM
Swashbuckler melds really well with quite a few classes... Sorceror, Ranger, Fighter... and my personal favourite for you... Monk.

Monk:
-enhances your speed further
-gives you an extra attack to try and activate your sneak attack
-gives you great defense without needing to wear armour

Both paths get Evasion at level 7... so whichever path you go down, you know you'll ultimately get it.

Plus... playing a Tabaxi Monk would be hilarious.

Belltent
2017-08-22, 08:52 AM
The strengths of rogues mostly come from the base class. Sneak attack, uncanny dodge, and evasion are all ridiculously good things to have. For this reason, I would tend to not slow down rogue progression by multiclassing.

KnotaGuru
2017-08-22, 08:55 AM
i have asked the DM and it is RAW so warlock invocations go off of player level not warlock level

Check the errata as this has been clarified that invocations are based on warlock level.

Agree with the above post that monk (shadow) would be a fun combo.

Edit: with your rolls you only qualify for MC in bard, fighter, sorc, warlock (assuming you put your 18's in DEX & CHA).

KitSith
2017-08-22, 08:56 AM
Swashbuckler melds really well with quite a few classes... Sorceror, Ranger, Fighter... and my personal favourite for you... Monk.

Monk:
-enhances your speed further
-gives you an extra attack to try and activate your sneak attack
-gives you great defense without needing to wear armour

Both paths get Evasion at level 7... so whichever path you go down, you know you'll ultimately get it.

I am just imagining something like road runner vs wily e coyote XD

KitSith
2017-08-22, 08:58 AM
Check the errata as this has been clarified that invocations are based on warlock level.

Agree with the above post that monk (shadow) would be a fun combo.
I thought it had so i asked him, i might have to elaborate that it was errated. ty =D

KitSith
2017-08-22, 09:03 AM
The strengths of rogues mostly come from the base class. Sneak attack, uncanny dodge, and evasion are all ridiculously good things to have. For this reason, I would tend to not slow down rogue progression by multiclassing.
should i go straight rogue untill i get those and then do a level dip? i am just asking because after 12 they seem kind of meh, except sneak attack dmg, because om nom more dice lol

KitSith
2017-08-22, 09:04 AM
Agree with the above post that monk (shadow) would be a fun combo.[/QUOTE]
As awesome as that lvl 6 ability is, that would take out 3d6 of sneak damage which seems like where a lot of rogue dmg comes from.

Scathain
2017-08-22, 09:16 AM

Seconded. Have a half-dragon tabaxi long death tabaxi monk in a revolving door campaign of mine, uses the racial curiosity to come up with inventive ways to kill people.

KitSith
2017-08-22, 09:57 AM
I guess my real question is really how important is extra attack on a rogue if i am twf with an attack with bonus action?

Aett_Thorn
2017-08-22, 10:13 AM
I guess my real question is really how important is extra attack on a rogue if i am twf with an attack with bonus action?

Rogues tend to have some decent uses for their bonus actions, most notably Disengage. However, as a Swashbuckler, you don't really need that, which frees up your second attack. So as a Swashbuckler, Extra Attack isn't as useful as some other types of Rogues. that being said, it can still open up some options. And that's not even discussing the other benefits that a multiclass could get you.

Action Surge, either increased critical range or maneuvers such as Riposte (allows sneak attack on opponents' turns), fighting style and a small heal as a fighter. Going Ranger gives you access to a fighting style, some useful spells like Hunter's Mark (which can help make up for the dip), etc.

KitSith
2017-08-22, 10:25 AM
Rogues tend to have some decent uses for their bonus actions, most notably Disengage. However, as a Swashbuckler, you don't really need that, which frees up your second attack. So as a Swashbuckler, Extra Attack isn't as useful as some other types of Rogues. that being said, it can still open up some options. And that's not even discussing the other benefits that a multiclass could get you.

Action Surge, either increased critical range or maneuvers such as Riposte (allows sneak attack on opponents' turns), fighting style and a small heal as a fighter. Going Ranger gives you access to a fighting style, some useful spells like Hunter's Mark (which can help make up for the dip), etc.

why are there so many good choices lol, yeah that battle master riposte, trip attack, and one other are looking pretty good. im really looking for something that can dart in and out of combat and still be able to do something against flying or further things.
i also have my main stat to 20 already so would going something like magic initiate for either hex from warlock or ranger for hunters mark help out there if i go fighter 3 or 5?

KnotaGuru
2017-08-22, 12:12 PM
If you put your 18s in DEX & CHA you only qualify to MC in bard, fighter, sorc, & warlock. So no ranger or monk unless you put one of those 18's in WIS. But remember your main reason for wanting to reroll a character so keeping CHA high makes sense. Warlock won't get you much since the most attractive feature is EB which doesn't work with sneak attack. Having a dip in sorc isn't worth it since the main draw there is spells & sorc points which you'll have very little of unless sorc is your main class. Bard suffers from the same. So that leaves you with a dip in fighter. There are some goodies there like action surge, fighting style, archetype features, extra attack. But there's nothing wrong with straight rogue. And sneak attack works with ranged weapons. Easy to gain advantage with cunning action to hide in the shadows and popping out to take some bow shots.

KitSith
2017-08-22, 01:40 PM
Thank you all for your ideas, think i finally figured out what im going to be doing,rogue 3, fighter 4, that way my swashbuckler is disengage is online with some expertise and sneak attack and only 1 level away from action surge going battlemaster for the riposte and trip attack, you all have been very helpful =D

MeeposFire
2017-08-22, 02:19 PM

If you multiclass with most of the options that give extra attack you probably got shield proficiency and that means you can forgo TWF to use a shield but still get two chances at getting SA in. That can be pretty nice way to upgrade your AC.

You probably give up a little bit on damage but you get some other nice bonuses.