PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Dex Fighter stats arrangement with Cleric flavor

ZorroGames
2017-08-22, 09:29 AM
Have a player looking at a variant human, light or possibly Medium armor, archery fighting style Fighter for a campaign and the inevitable question came up where to put point buy numbers.

Apparently other players have stated they will not be using heavy armor because of RUMINT (Rumor Intel, aka scuttlebut,) is that it will be located in Jungle environment. Nothing confirmable currently. I suggested that RUMINT be ignored in the build but I know it is a back of the mind influence.

1) Straight Fighter. Starting Feat Tough. Later some Cleric flavoring.

ST 10
DE 15+1
CO 15+1
IN 8
WI 14 (saves, later Magic Initiate Feat for Cleric spells.)
CH 8

2) Multi-class into Arcana Cleric was also discussed by the player. Set aside temporarily as planning Feats and unknown other player race/classes unknown at this time. Possibility. Awaiting session 0 conversation and other player builds. Yes this bypasses simple. Acknowledged by player when point (pun unintended) raised.

ST 13
DE 15+1
CO 14
IN 8
WI 13+1
CH 8
One point TBD. CH 9? Edit: deleted math error.

The first would be far simpler and the other most likely potential players are almost exclusively oriented to Warlock, Sorceror, and Wizard classes. Anything is possible but I think they may stay the course if past practices are any indication.

Note: Football practice broke up our Dad and two sons martials team of half-elf Paladin, Dwarf Barbarian and Wood Elf Monk (the football player I believe) so I do not see this as a seven player party. Have only seen the other two since Football practice started one time. :smallsigh:

As a relatively new 5e player myself I am cautious to dispense "Guidance from above" based on only 5 levels of play. Comments?

Oh, potential cleric flavored Fighter player wants to stay martial oriented and simple playing currently. :smallconfused:

:smalleek: I may have planted that Arcana Cleric seed from a discussion on a character I am considering for a campaign myself so I accept blame for that idea. Not my intent to mislead the new player but that wrinkle appeared after discussing my potential Arcana Cleric build with the player. :smallredface:

DevilMcam
2017-08-22, 09:51 AM
For a fighter with 16 con i'm a bit mitigated about the "though" feat, sure 2hp/lvl is good, but you already have very good base HPs and CON mod so that wont be such a huge increase. Medium armor master let you have the same AC than heavy armor for a 16 DEX char and retain you stealth capabilities so it might be another good option for defense.

For the second idea I would put the extra point in strength for several reasons, first low stats are good for RP, second changing a 8 to a 9 doesn't change anything number wise, while changing the 13 STR to 1 give you more carrying capacity as well as a nice +1 to all stregth based checks.

it's not a lot but I hope this helps a bit

Sariel Vailo
2017-08-22, 11:30 AM
So my question is for you the dm id advise them to be keepin a thought on party comp first before picking a feat and well they look like they could make an excellent arcana cleric so id grab if recall correctly they want to be a archer so id grab marksman. Also discuss this build add in sorcerer i don't care which kind and grab twinned spell as metamagic and quicken spell also they should become a fighter ek arcana cleric abd soem sorcerer so talk to them on this build it puts them in adequate range for intrigue

PeteNutButter
2017-08-22, 01:03 PM
He could just start with 3 16s by taking resilient wisdom. It would give him good or great saves in all the important saves. Strong con and wisdom with proficiency in both, and dex will be maxed by level 6 so it's plus 5.

Sharpshooter is another obvious choice for an archer character. The character can also potentially cast bless at some point to help negate the loss of chance to hit.

I'd avoid tough until later as 2 hit points per level is kind of weak when it's just 2. Yes, it grows with the character but no reason to take it that early. It's probably best avoided on this character anyways as a solid con and d10 hit die are more than enough for an archer who plans to stay back.

ZorroGames
2017-08-22, 03:17 PM
So my question is for you the dm id advise them to be keepin a thought on party comp first before picking a feat and well they look like they could make an excellent arcana cleric so id grab if recall correctly they want to be a archer so id grab marksman. Also discuss this build add in sorcerer i don't care which kind and grab twinned spell as metamagic and quicken spell also they should become a fighter ek arcana cleric abd soem sorcerer so talk to them on this build it puts them in adequate range for intrigue

Not the DM just another local player.

I will talk with the player and pass on your advice.

ZorroGames
2017-08-22, 03:18 PM
He could just start with 3 16s by taking resilient wisdom. It would give him good or great saves in all the important saves. Strong con and wisdom with proficiency in both, and dex will be maxed by level 6 so it's plus 5.

Sharpshooter is another obvious choice for an archer character. The character can also potentially cast bless at some point to help negate the loss of chance to hit.

I'd avoid tough until later as 2 hit points per level is kind of weak when it's just 2. Yes, it grows with the character but no reason to take it that early. It's probably best avoided on this character anyways as a solid con and d10 hit die are more than enough for an archer who plans to stay back.

I will pass on your thoughts.

ZorroGames
2017-08-22, 03:19 PM
For a fighter with 16 con i'm a bit mitigated about the "though" feat, sure 2hp/lvl is good, but you already have very good base HPs and CON mod so that wont be such a huge increase. Medium armor master let you have the same AC than heavy armor for a 16 DEX char and retain you stealth capabilities so it might be another good option for defense.

For the second idea I would put the extra point in strength for several reasons, first low stats are good for RP, second changing a 8 to a 9 doesn't change anything number wise, while changing the 13 STR to 1 give you more carrying capacity as well as a nice +1 to all stregth based checks.

it's not a lot but I hope this helps a bit

I will pass on what you wrote.

Evorox
2017-08-22, 07:00 PM
I think the bow idea is nice, But wouldnt you also want a light melee weapon in case the fight closes and your freinds abandon you with the aformentioned stuttlebutt? something like a rapier or even a dagger might come in handy

ZorroGames
2017-08-23, 05:00 PM
Only discussion on melee weapon choice was "keep it finesse" - dagger or one of the martial finesse weapons.

djreynolds
2017-08-23, 11:30 PM
You may as well take some ranger with those stats and get an extra fighting style, hunter's mark, etc

Citan
2017-08-29, 09:55 AM
Have a player looking at a variant human, light or possibly Medium armor, archery fighting style Fighter for a campaign and the inevitable question came up where to put point buy numbers.

Apparently other players have stated they will not be using heavy armor because of RUMINT (Rumor Intel, aka scuttlebut,) is that it will be located in Jungle environment. Nothing confirmable currently. I suggested that RUMINT be ignored in the build but I know it is a back of the mind influence.

1) Straight Fighter. Starting Feat Tough. Later some Cleric flavoring.

ST 10
DE 15+1
CO 15+1
IN 8
WI 14 (saves, later Magic Initiate Feat for Cleric spells.)
CH 8

Hi!
Quick question, why not directly take Magic Initiate: Cleric if your player just want some flavour but no multiclass?
That way the character concept is live immediately.

Or, keeping the idea of Magic Initiate later, arrange the stats to grab Resilient: Wisdom as starting feat and reallocating the extra points on another stat?

ZorroGames
2017-08-30, 11:03 AM
Hi!
Quick question, why not directly take Magic Initiate: Cleric if your player just want some flavour but no multiclass?
That way the character concept is live immediately.

Or, keeping the idea of Magic Initiate later, arrange the stats to grab Resilient: Wisdom as starting feat and reallocating the extra points on another stat?

Talked about the former. No idea if that wil be taken.

When I see the player again I will see what the actual final build looks like and will mention the latter.

Crgaston
2017-08-30, 11:21 AM
1 level of knowledge cleric would give 3 cantrips, 6 prepared spells, 2 slots, and Expertise in your choice of 2 skills from Nature, History, Arcana and Religion.

ZorroGames
2017-08-30, 01:40 PM
1 level of knowledge cleric would give 3 cantrips, 6 prepared spells, 2 slots, and Expertise in your choice of 2 skills from Nature, History, Arcana and Religion.

Will pass this on if/when see the player.