PDA

View Full Version : How would you play/build a wererat character? (Role-playing/classes)

Prince_Vorrel
2017-08-22, 05:51 PM
I recently found a group that plays on days I have off and i got permission to play a wererat. Basically I'd be a normal (Variant) Human and just have a few small benefits from being a wererat.

-No damage immunities or resistances. This never made much sense to me anyway...you're still a flesh and blood creature so a sword in gut is still gonna be a freaking sword in the gut!
-I can shapeshift between Human/Hybrid/Rat form (using a giant rat's statistics)
-I get an advantage on smell based perception checks. (mostly a ribbon ability but neat either way)
-I can bite using an action (In hybrid/rat form)

Does this seem alright? I don't want to have a character that will be disruptive to the group or seem like I'm being a power gamer.

Also what kinds of builds/classes would be really cool with a wererat character? Rogue, of course, is a bit standard....and boring imo If i don't mix it with something. Maybe I could make him charisma based to better be able to hide his curse?

Seekergeek
2017-08-22, 06:15 PM
I once played a were-rat, and we just used the shifter stats from that early Eberron UA. Worked out nicely for my purposes and the table didn't mind. I'd wonder what the duration of your wererat form would be in your presented options but I certainly don't see why they would present a problem at the table. I might even be tempted to add in darkvision.

Prince_Vorrel
2017-08-22, 06:19 PM
I once played a were-rat, and we just used the shifter stats from that early Eberron UA. Worked out nicely for my purposes and the table didn't mind. I'd wonder what the duration of your wererat form would be in your presented options but I certainly don't see why they would present a problem at the table. I might even be tempted to add in darkvision.

30ft dark vision would be nice. A upgrade for a human without stepping on more darkvision giving races toes.

nickl_2000
2017-08-22, 08:13 PM
Shadow monk would be pretty killer. A stealthy giant rat who can teleport between shadows, gets the damage bonus for monk attacks in hybrid and ready down, and magical attacks on rat form.

Although a Peter Pettigrew (from Harry Potter) like wizard would fit pretty well flavor wise.

Prince_Vorrel
2017-08-22, 08:28 PM
Shadow monk would be pretty killer. A stealthy giant rat who can teleport between shadows, gets the damage bonus for monk attacks in hybrid and ready down, and magical attacks on rat form.

Although a Peter Pettigrew (from Harry Potter) like wizard would fit pretty well flavor wise.

i do like the shadow monk idea but we already have a monk sadly :(

nickl_2000
2017-08-22, 08:55 PM
i do like the shadow monk idea but we already have a monk sadly :(

Dang, so no Splinter from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

nickl_2000
2017-08-22, 09:01 PM
Alright, what about a barbarian. The wererat curse caused you to go into uncontrollable rages, so you decided to embrace that as who you are and learn to channel the rage into useful destruction

Prince_Vorrel
2017-08-22, 09:17 PM
Alright, what about a barbarian. The wererat curse caused you to go into uncontrollable rages, so you decided to embrace that as who you are and learn to channel the rage into useful destruction

that could be good! though that fits more werewolf/bear/boar kinda scenario. Wererats are less ragey and more cunning spiteful bastards.

nickl_2000
2017-08-23, 08:01 AM
that could be good! though that fits more werewolf/bear/boar kinda scenario. Wererats are less ragey and more cunning spiteful bastards.

Alright, then it sounds like you are landing into Warlock territory. They are dark, kinda Gothy, cunning enough to make a contract with a higher power and get out of it alive, but spiteful enough to feel the need to get power. ArchFey pact could be good making a pact with the Prince of Frost (pretty nasty Fey there). I can't pull up the Pact of the Raven Queen, but it seems like a Raven and a Rat would have similar attitudes.

Then take Pact of the Chain, get a Rat familiar (because you make friends with rats)

Aett_Thorn
2017-08-23, 08:20 AM
A Deep Stalker Ranger might be an interesting take. Replace mentions of "underdark" with "sewers", and you should be good to go. Especially if they would allow you to use the Revised Ranger.

Alejandro
2017-08-23, 08:27 AM
I know it isn't quite the same, but my current PC spent a brief time infected with lycanthropy, from a wererat. While he was infected, I portrayed him as being sneakier and more inquisitive than usual, ate every scrap of food he could, and was revolted by silver pieces. Even though he has since been cured, I still play him as disliking silver pieces :)

tieren
2017-08-23, 08:36 AM
Urban druid could be cool (change into regular rat, pigeon, sewer gator, etc...).

Joe the Rat
2017-08-23, 08:47 AM
Regarding damage immunity: Sword to the gut that isn't silver or magical either doesn't go or simply heals as fast as you pull it out - that's the monster movie lycanthrope lore. You aren't a flesh and blood creature in the regular sense - you're a supernatural one-weakness curse-monster. Dropping that aspect does takes 90% of the potential issues out for player use.

Is "Wererat" essentially your V. Human "Feat"? If not, 1) Holy Cheese Wagon, and 2) Skulker isn't the strongest thing, but is very thematic for a (were)rat.

Then take Pact of the Chain, get a Rat familiar (because you make friends with rats)Go for Imp. They can turn into rats - something to bond over! And Ravens.

On the classes:
Bard: I've got nothing, barring a reverse Pied Piper scenario.
Barbarian: Focus Dex, but keep strength close: +2 Str / +3 Dex makes reckless attack a more reliable hit, and rage will give you a small damage edge. Save your rages for "cornered rat". Alternatively, "abnormally large scary rat man" can work as well. Totem would be my recommendation out of core - the speak with/animal sight lets you commune with and see through the eyes of rats (and other animals). Wolf (distracting/swarming) or bear (!@$& tough) for your 3rd level totem.
Cleric: Trickery. Spirit guardians is the elevator scene from the Willard remake. Or go Life or Knowledge with Ganesh.
Druid: If you want to stay on rats, this would be a good opportunity to explore land druids. Underdark fits reasonably well. Also: Summon Natures Ally. See if you can get "rat swarm" as a summonable creature.
Fighter: The natural inclination is a two-weapon or rapier duelist Dex fighter. Nothing wrong with that. BattleMaster or Eldritch Knight makes you tricksy.
Monk: You've got one, but you can always do a different one. Shadow or Long Death for theme. Sun Soul for shapeshifting hilarity.
Paladin: ...would be an odd one. Vengeance probably fits the rodent MO best; Ancients makes a nice "one with nature" beastman.
Ranger: I'd recommend Hunter with a focus on killing things bigger than you... or lycanthropes if you want to be a were-fighting-weres type
Rogue: A natural state of affairs. Take your pick.
Sorcerer: Wild magic. Feel the Skaven schtick flowing through you, and get a crystal arcane focus you call a Warpstone.
Warlock: As above, find out what the Horned God would be - not necessarily the Celtic one. Or go Great Old One for the rats in the (minds) walls approach. Dissonant Whispers and Hunger of Hadar chitter instead of whisper.
Wizard: Conjuration is best at getting into things you shouldn't get into. Illusion begets trickery. Transmutation can "share" the shapechanging fun.

UA options: Oath of Treachery Paladin. Artificer (I recommend Alchemist for the Mad Science and Bombs).

But you can always play against type as well.

nickl_2000
2017-08-23, 08:54 AM
Why does it not surprise me that Joe the Rat would have the most complete answer so far :smallwink:

CaptainCharisma
2017-08-24, 06:27 AM
Get a cat familiar. I would personally think that rats would be pretty spiteful, and have a cat familiar that is FORCED to obey you seems like something petty that a rat would do.