PDA

View Full Version : Favorite OOTS Character Tournament: #9 DURKON vs #8 HALEY

alwaysbebatman
2017-08-22, 06:43 PM
[Voting has closed]

I almost entirely forgot that I was going to post three more matchups today! So without any further ado, please allow me to introduce...

#9 DURKON THUNDERSHIELD
vs
#8 HALEY STARSHINE

https://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/oots/images/a/ae/Durkon_New.png/revision/latest?cb=20150420013826
https://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/oots/images/b/bb/Haley_New.png/revision/latest?cb=20150420021238

Seed ) Name : Points , Ballots , Average , 10s
9 ) :durkon: Durkon Thundershield : 146 , 29 , 5.03 , 2
8 ) :haley: Haley Starshine : 165 , 32 , 5.16 ,

The numbers to the right of each character's name is the sum of the points awarded to the character on all ballots in the Character Popularity Poll thread over the past week, and then the number of ballots the character appeared on, the average points of those who included them, and the number of voters who gave each their 10 point position.

The fact that I've started a new wave of matchups does NOT mean that the matches that began on Saturday are closing, those will continue until this coming Saturday. Similarly, I will then begin a new batch, but that will not mean that these polls are closing: they will remain open until next Tuesday.

The only rule is to vote for the character who is your favorite of these two. Whoever gets the most votes goes on to the second round, while the other is eliminated.

The qualifications for "Favorite" are personal and up to the decision of each balloter alone. This is not a competition for who would win in a fight, or who is the most moral... UNLESS that is what makes them YOUR favorite.

Enjoy debating the merits of these two characters and seeing how many of your fellow forumites agree or disagree.

Go!

martianmister
2017-08-22, 06:50 PM
Haley, I guess.

Hamste
2017-08-22, 06:52 PM
I vote Haley. Even with Durkon's character development he still seems a bit too bland for me. Plus I never quite forgave him for ignoring Hilgya admitting to trying to murder her husband and instead focusing on her leaving her marriage.

Xihirli
2017-08-22, 07:11 PM
How to choose between two worshippers of Thor...
Haley.

Ruck
2017-08-22, 08:11 PM
Haley is probably the character most similar to me (or possibly Elan), so this is an easy choice. Lawful-above-all types were never my favorite, and for Durkon to have a chance here, I'd really need to see how his experience with the vampire has changed him afterward.

Chei
2017-08-22, 08:15 PM
Gotta give it to Durkon for his dying page alone. Haley is cooler, but that doesn't always make for a better character.

Hiro Quester
2017-08-22, 08:25 PM
Haley is full of wit and insight. Plus variations on sneak attack.

Durkon is (was?) sturdy and dependable. But he's the straight man. And a support character, most of the time. He's there to make others' charm and comedy stand out.

In this case Haley stands out by comparison. I vote Haley.

NihhusHuotAliro
2017-08-22, 09:09 PM
I find Durkon to be very relatable. Feeling isolated from all that is familiar, banished from the home and family, it's all more compelling and understandable to me than Haley's conflict, which is almost the exact opposite: escaping from the environment and values in which she was raised.

Gotta give it to DURKON.

Elanasaurus
2017-08-22, 10:05 PM
Why aren't there more votes for Durkon?
He has a good heart, joining Roy because he respected Roy's morals. He cares about his family, family being the reason he became a cleric.
He is loyal and patient. While he REALLY wanted to go home, he didn't because he wasn't allowed, and he waited until after his death for the reply to his letter.
He's badass in battle. Two Miss'ssippi, three Miss'ssippi...
Recently he's even been quite funny.
Durkon Thundershield, Son of Sigdi, Cleric of Thor, Band-aid Dispenser of the OOTS, Nausea Inducer of Vampires, is one of the few characters I respect.. AND HE'S LOSING!! NOOO!!!
Edit: Forgot to vote. DURKON

Fincher
2017-08-22, 10:09 PM
Haley, no contest.

Euclidodese
2017-08-22, 10:12 PM
Hmmm... I've never really liked Durkon, he's simply too lawful for me to empathise with or relate to, he makes decisions I would never contemplate making.

For example: (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0733.html) You're on a mission to save the whole planet, but you refuse to bust your teammates out of a horrific jail because they committed a victimless crime by accident, even though this refusal means you're jeopardising the fate of the entire world? ... Seriously‽

Therefore it's going to have to be Haley for me... She's my fifth favourite member of the order :smalltongue: But she's much more of a pragmatist, comes up with smart plans, witty lines and loveable moments, the total package.

alwaysbebatman
2017-08-22, 10:37 PM
Why aren't there more votes for Durkon?

While he REALLY wanted to go home, he didn't because he wasn't allowed, and he waited until after his death for the reply to his letter.

That's why. Most people can't relate to an LG who prioritizes the Lawful part over Good.

Demoman
2017-08-22, 11:22 PM
Gotta go with DURKON.

I dislike Haley: least favorite of mine in the Order. Too much money-related plots and character traits, and I never fit right with chaotic characters. I actually feel more familiar with a Durkon-esque character in terms of lawfulness.

But none of that really matters. Durkon is my favorite comic strip character in existence.

Zaclock
2017-08-23, 12:38 AM
Haley was my first favourite character of the comic. She's been caught up over the years, but she is still up there among my favourite. My 18-year old self really laughed when reading this comic (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0029.html) about 13 years ago, enough for me to know right then that I would read this story up to its last strip.

So, yeah, Haley. Durkon is a team player, he will understand.

StreamOfTheSky
2017-08-23, 01:20 AM
Haley was my favorite character prior to the voice-loss. She's not been the same since but I still like her. Durkon...if I had to draw a picture of what "meh" looks like, I'd draw Durkon.

Haley, easily.

Dr.Zero
2017-08-23, 07:24 AM
Not sure.
Haley had her moments, more than Durkon.
But I prefer by far the development arc of Durkon than the one of Haley (and this says a lot, since Durkon's arc is far from being over).

So, Durkon, I guess (but they are close).

Jaxzan Proditor
2017-08-23, 07:38 AM
I've never really been a huge fan of Haley, while I think that Durkon often get overlooked for the great moments that he has. My vote goes for Durkon.

L8r
2017-08-23, 07:46 AM
I vote for Durkon, for the same reason as Chei.

KarlMarx
2017-08-23, 07:47 AM
Hmmm...make decision based on alignment? Character development?

Naahhh...It's all just a conspiracy on the part of the trees.

DURKON

Arkku
2017-08-23, 07:52 AM
Haley. I may have a thing for redheads.

(Also I fondly recall the speech impediment and aspects of her personality as characters.)

BrotherClod
2017-08-23, 07:56 AM
My reasons are my own, Brother Clod votes Durkon

littlebum2002
2017-08-23, 09:33 AM
Haley, definitely.

hroşila
2017-08-23, 10:30 AM
Haley, easily.

Potatomade
2017-08-23, 11:53 AM
Durkon. Nobody appreciates the dependable guy, but just like anybody you love, you don't notice how much you really care about them until they're gone.

Elanasaurus
2017-08-23, 11:56 AM
This feels like a Lawful vs Chaotic poll..

Joerg
2017-08-23, 12:41 PM
Durkon. Despite the silly trees running gag, I like the quiet, supporting, helpful character much more than the thief. Besides, it feels like Haleys character development is finished, while Durkons has just begun.

white lancer
2017-08-23, 12:46 PM
This is an interesting matchup not only because of the Lawful vs. Chaotic element (arguably two of the purest examples of their position on that spectrum in the comic), but also because of when their development in the comic came. I'd wager that a couple of years ago, Haley would have run away with this poll, because she was one of the most developed members of the comic earlier on while Durkon was arguably the least. Now, however, we're in the middle of an arc that heavily features Durkon, while Haley has taken a step into the background for now.

Personally, I tend a lot closer to the Lawful part of the spectrum than the Chaotic one, and I really appreciate Durkon's recent developments...but Haley is still a more interesting character to me, so she gets my vote.

zimmerwald1915
2017-08-23, 01:21 PM
I feel obligated to back Haley here. Can't imagine why.

2D8HP
2017-08-23, 02:01 PM
This one is really tough.
I love both of them, and :durkon: Durkon's memories have really charmed me, but :haley: Haley got my heart long ago, so she gets my nod

Peelee
2017-08-23, 02:19 PM
Durkon, easily. Yes, he's bland, because he's always trying his best to be a good person, and I like that.

Rogan
2017-08-23, 02:28 PM
I like them both, but since I have to pick one... Haley

alwaysbebatman
2017-08-23, 02:38 PM
Here are your running totals:

15 Block Nods
#8) :haley: Haley Starshine 16
#9) :durkon: Durkon Thundershield 12

zimmerwald1915
2017-08-23, 03:18 PM
Durkon, easily. Yes, he's bland, because he's always trying his best to be a good person, and I like that.
So is Haley, only she doubts her capacity where Durkon is more sure of himself.

Peelee
2017-08-23, 03:27 PM
So is Haley

I disagree. I also recognize that my opinion is in all likelihood not shared by most people here.

Bob_McSurly
2017-08-23, 03:42 PM
Durkon. Definitely Durkon.
I certainly respect his lawfulness, and on top of that, I only find him annoying once. I found Haley annoying plenty of times.

And, as a religious person myself, it isn't hard for me to understand where he's coming from.
And the death seen. Wow.

Laurana
2017-08-23, 05:09 PM
Haley is my favourite character bar none, so I vote for her.

The Curt Jester
2017-08-23, 09:34 PM
Durkon.

The world is peppered with characters who are always willing to break rules for the "common good" but usually it is reliant upon a personal opinion only. There is a reason the word is chaotic. When there is a large group of people, each doing his own thing, breaking rules, the result is chaos and destruction. Looking at the whole, the lawful character wins out easily.

Necrus Philius
2017-08-24, 06:58 PM
Durkon. Someone needs to tell the truth about the trees!

Dushara
2017-08-24, 07:37 PM
No contest. Definitely Haley.

LadyEowyn
2017-08-24, 08:57 PM
They're both great characters. I'm voting for Haley.

Present 2.0
2017-08-24, 11:09 PM
The world is peppered with characters who are always willing to break rules for the "common good" but usually it is reliant upon a personal opinion only.

Rules can also be very different, and when they were created, they were also created by personal opinions.

Lissou
2017-08-25, 02:28 AM
I vote for Haley. I like both characters, though. It was a tough call.

PH7
2017-08-25, 04:22 AM
When I started reading the comic I was, at some level, conscious of its changing nature from gag-a-page to actual story. But the first time I actually empathized with one of these wacky adventurers was strip #333 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0333.html). Despite his low-key presence, I find the cleric of the group the most likeable character, despite the alignment differences I would have with him. He wants so little and often can't even get that.

And then he got killed before our eyes.

So yeah, Durkon get my vote. It's not even close.

Elanasaurus
2017-08-25, 04:26 AM
Rules can also be very different, and when they were created, they were also created by personal opinions.

Yeah but while Chaotic characters typically only follow their own personal rules, LG characters like Durkon respect and regard the rules made by authorities. That selfnessness and loyalty to someone other than himself are admirable to LNs like me.

Present 2.0
2017-08-25, 07:24 AM
Oh, I've forgot to vote.

Haley Starshine

Sylian
2017-08-28, 09:28 PM
Durkon gets my vote. Haley is still a top 10 character though (in my opinion).

drazen
2017-08-29, 06:40 AM
Both fine characters, but I have to go with Red. I vote Haley.

Durkon hardly got any growth for 900+ strips. Haley had a pretty good arc in DStP, though she could have avoided a whole lot of trouble if she'd just been honest with Celia about her exile from Greysky City.

137beth
2017-08-29, 01:51 PM
Somehow I missed this one. I’ll go with Haley.

Liquor Box
2017-08-29, 05:48 PM
I quite like both. I think I will vote Durkon to keep it a little closer. I may vote the other way if these two meet again though.

A reasonably close 23-18 at this point.

Mandor
2017-08-29, 07:32 PM
Tough call. I gotta give the nod to Durkon though, if only because it's a lot harder to roleplay as anything other than the box of Band-Aids (as so illustrated in strip #6.

To have any character development at all, as a cleric, is an achievement all in it's own.

alwaysbebatman
2017-08-29, 11:04 PM
FYI, Mandor's vote is the last. This polling place is now closed. Unless it was tied. Hold on.

ETA: Okay, no, Haley is the winner, and will go on to face either Vaarsuvius or Wrecan in round 2.

9 vs 8 Nods
#8) :haley: Haley Starshine 23
#9) :durkon: Durkon Thundershield 19

Peelee
2017-08-30, 12:19 AM
FYI, Mandor's vote is the last. This polling place is now closed. Unless it was tied. Hold on.

ETA: Okay, no, Haley is the winner, and will go on to face either Vaarsuvius or Wrecan in round 2.

9 vs 8 Nods
#8) :haley: Haley Starshine 23
#9) :durkon: Durkon Thundershield 19

I'm glad Durkon racked up a respectable 19.

KorvinStarmast
2017-08-30, 02:37 PM
Very tough vote.
I have played a lot of thieves/rogues. Played a lot of clerics. Haley has some neat scenes and lines. And she's a rogue/thief. Her dad's a 1e thief (played a ton of them). She's almost family.

Durkon.

Issues do not an interesting character make.

NontheistCleric
2017-08-30, 08:55 PM
I vote for Durkon.