PDA

View Full Version : Bardlemaster - College of Swords + Battlemaster

Arelai
2017-08-23, 03:03 AM
I was thinking about interesting off-meta builds and thought of doing 3 fighter levels for Battlemaster, and 3 levels in bard:college of swords(ideally getting up to level 5-6 in bard)

High charisma+STR with heavy armor, wield a greataxe(like a badass) that doubles as your spell casting focus, have up to 9d8's to do a bunch of stuff with(10 if you take the martial adept feat), and if you get up to level 8 and get to bard 5 you now have 3rd level spells, and your inspiration die now also refresh on short rests(like the BM dice). 6 in bard gets you extra attack which is solid too.

I know it takes a while to REALLY come online, but I think it might be a fun build to play anyway. Provided you get short rests so you can use those 9-10d8 for most encounters

Thoughts?

sepercrod
2017-08-23, 12:40 PM
It sounds a little MAD, but it seems like an interesting way to flavor a fighter. I would definitely start fighter 1 for access to weapons and armor, then go 1 bard for faerie fire and sleep (both wonderful at low levels) then grab the remaining fighter levels. From my experience, Bards don't come online until later, so I vote mostly fighter then switch.

You may find yourself fairly underpowered waiting for your first ASI, extra attack, and 3rd level spells while your party is significantly stronger when they hit level 5. If you can bear to compare yourself to then for a while, then I would say try it out.