PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Flyby attack when mixing different movement modes

Lady Alysha
2017-08-23, 05:46 AM
Hi. I am trying to figure out if flyby attack works when you are mixing different movement modes during the same move action:

1) Suppose I am a half-fey with natural wings and I have just cast on myself Sirene's Grace, which also gives me a swim speed. Could I emerge from the water, fly and attack a flying Wizard using Flyby Attack and then dive back to water again?

2) Suppose I am a Bard and I have the Slippers of Battledancing, which I really want to make working because they are just cool :smallcool:. I am an unseelie fey and I have natural wings and have taken the Flyby Attack feat. I am currenly on the ground and I walk 10 feet. Then I start flying toward my target and want to use flyby attack.

The wording of flyby attack says (emphasis mine): "When flying, the creature can take a move action..."

Of course I need to be flying in order to make this work. But the question is if I could start (and/or finish) with a different movement mode. How would you rule this?

Venger
2017-08-23, 10:40 PM
You are always allowed to shuffle between any listed form of movement you have.

Darrin
2017-08-24, 06:54 AM
1) Suppose I am a half-fey with natural wings and I have just cast on myself Sirene's Grace, which also gives me a swim speed. Could I emerge from the water, fly and attack a flying Wizard using Flyby Attack and then dive back to water again?

This works. However, your maneuverability class will likely make the "flying upward" portion a little more complicated. Assuming your maneuverability is "good", you have a 60-degree maximum up angle, gaining altitude is going to cost double movement, and making a 180-degree turn to drop back down into the water costs 20' of movement.

2) Suppose I am a Bard and I have the Slippers of Battledancing, which I really want to make working because they are just cool :smallcool:. I am an unseelie fey and I have natural wings and have taken the Flyby Attack feat. I am currenly on the ground and I walk 10 feet. Then I start flying toward my target and want to use flyby attack.

This works, but there are two caveats: 1) If you have a higher fly speed than your base land speed then the slippers limit you to using just your base land speed, and 2) while flying, you have (average) maneuverability and still need to pay extra movement for flying up, turning in place, etc.

If you're not gaining altitude or making sharp turns, then you can still fly horizontally over the ground. There is a "minimum forward speed" requirement, but since you're already at ground level, a forced landing isn't really a problem.

Lady Alysha
2017-08-25, 05:26 PM
Thanks a lot for your responses!