PDA

View Full Version : Good system for 'fuzzy-woodland-creatures-with-magic'?

KarlMarx
2017-08-23, 08:29 AM
So my siblings want me to run an RPG for them that involves essentially the above concept, using creatures at a similar level to those of books like Redwall and The Tale of Despereaux in terms of resemblence to humans--still capable of using armor and weapons, but still definitely mice/otters/etc.

Furthermore, however, they also want a relatively high degree of magic worked in.

Does anyone know of a good system to pull something like this off?
So far I can think of:

--D&D 3.5 using heavily modified Hengeyokai or the Awaken spell, though this sounds too cumbersome for everything except magic systems.

--Something extremely rules-light such as FATE, though I don't know how to work magic in.

Rules-light is better, but not absolutely necessary.

hamishspence
2017-08-23, 08:32 AM
Anthropomorphic Creature rules from Savage Species, plus careful research to find out which creatures that aren't actually statted, have approximations, could work.

Blackhawk748
2017-08-23, 09:34 AM
I recommend Savage World's, it has an easy Race Maker, it's magic system is solid, and it's easy to play. Otherwise just use FATE and just make Magic a skill

Waddacku
2017-08-23, 09:58 AM
I don't think Mouse Guard has much magic, but it might be possible to add in.

There's also Ironclaw, but I don't know how much adaptation that would need for the specifics.

Knaight
2017-08-23, 10:50 AM
I'm not sure what book availability is like, but this is exactly what Talislanta was made for. There's also the usual batch of generics (Fudge, Fate, Savage Worlds, Cortex, GURPS, HERO), although I'd avoid the last two if you want something on the rules light end. Magic systems are around for all of these, with the lighter systems generally having several if you're willing to dig around a bit.

Jay R
2017-08-23, 10:56 AM
You might consider a modified D&D, with some common-sense new race design, based on the species description, and then somewhat balanced.

Let the players help with race design.

-------

I would use Hero System. Some people don't like the arithmetic involved in character creation. I don't find it onerous, but some people do.

gkathellar
2017-08-23, 12:54 PM
Bunnies and Burrows is a real thing.

Mouse Guard lacks magic, but it's also derived from Burning Wheel, which has a magic system you can import.

BayardSPSR
2017-08-23, 05:27 PM
Consider Blue Rose, which has magical talking animals as a well-supported default character option.

EDIT: I recommend using the weasel rules for foxes, which are strangely absent.

weckar
2017-08-24, 07:49 AM
Tri-Stat dX actually has prewritten rules and a setting for exactly this. I think it comes in their d4 range. I unfortunately forget the name.

Friv
2017-08-24, 12:57 PM
Note: Fate is not rules-light, unless you're using Fate Accelerated. It's just rules-different.

If you're used to D&D, the absolute easiest system would be to just use it, but reskin the races. Halflings are mice. Dwarves are badgers. Humans are rabbits. Elves are squirrels. Half-orcs are the big, strong moles.

gkathellar
2017-08-24, 01:34 PM
Note: Fate is not rules-light, unless you're using Fate Accelerated. It's just rules-different.

If you're used to D&D, the absolute easiest system would be to just use it, but reskin the races. Halflings are mice. Dwarves are badgers. Humans are rabbits. Elves are squirrels. Half-orcs are the big, strong moles.

And badgers are DMPCs!

Knaight
2017-08-24, 02:33 PM

This bumps into some issues regarding size, where there's not enough variety there to cover the range of fuzzy woodland creatures well.

Caldman
2017-09-01, 10:39 PM
I don't think Mouse Guard has much magic, but it might be possible to add in.

Mouse Guard is very story-heavy and rules-light, you could easily add magic to the skill list without any trouble. Most of your skills are vague 'specialties' as it is, the game encourages story-telling more than actual mechanics. I also enjoy the setting quite a bit.

Lord Raziere
2017-09-01, 11:01 PM
So my siblings want me to run an RPG for them that involves essentially the above concept, using creatures at a similar level to those of books like Redwall and The Tale of Despereaux in terms of resemblence to humans--still capable of using armor and weapons, but still definitely mice/otters/etc.

Furthermore, however, they also want a relatively high degree of magic worked in.

Does anyone know of a good system to pull something like this off?

Pugmire just came out. dogs with medieval technology, idealistic setting, though while it has magic that looks like magic, its technically highly advanced post-apocalyptic technology, but really whats the difference since it basically functions like magic anyways? while it has references to Man as these godlike holy precursors they worship, there is no hard mechanical thing for that or the advanced tech, nor is it intended to look like advanced tech at least not always, so you can refluff it however you like.