PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Only two players

Protato
2017-08-23, 10:33 AM
So this weekend I start a new campaign with a friend of mine, but here's the catch: It's just us two. My other friends are involved in games, and the ones that aren't I've invited into other sessions but they said no. With that out of the way, my friend's playing a Lycanthrope (https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Lycanthrope_(5e_Race))Ripple-User (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/rk8sHIB3l) Monk and I'm playing a Variant Human Valor Bard. My spells are: Vicious Mockery, Minor Illusion, Booming Blade, Eldritch Blast, Healing Word, Faerie Fire, Hideous Laughter, Hex, Sleep, Silent Image, and Shatter. Do these look alright? We start at Level 3 and I took the Magic Initiate Feat. Additionally, our characters are starting with Tavern Brawler, mostly for flavor. With all this in mind, is there any advice on making this work with just the two of us? Do either of us seem like we'd be underpowered on our own? After all, we have to carry our own weight more than most parties. With that said, I think this setup could prove fun, and could challenge us in unique ways. With all that out of the way, I hope to hear what you all have to say about this.

Chugger
2017-08-23, 01:51 PM
With few players you can let each person run two characters. You can add NPCs (your character is a DM-played character while you DM?).

Meet more players. There are gaming clubs, adventure league - other options.

Maxilian
2017-08-23, 02:20 PM
With few players you can let each person run two characters. You can add NPCs (your character is a DM-played character while you DM?).

I'm DMing a 2 man campaign, and i decide to work with this (2 PCs for each player), but to evade confusion in RP by the PC, i let them take a PC as their main character and the other as the sidekick and i shall RP the sidekicks (like NPC but in the end, controlled by the PC)

Kane0
2017-08-23, 05:34 PM
Yeah I'm currently running a two man game with each player running two PCs. Their primary ones tend to be the fully fleshed out, complex ones and the backup is simpler like a champion fighter or something. Runs pretty smoothly.

Maxilian
2017-08-23, 07:21 PM
Yeah I'm currently running a two man game with each player running two PCs. Their primary ones tend to be the fully fleshed out, complex ones and the backup is simpler like a champion fighter or something. Runs pretty smoothly.

I have barely started also giving my players 2 PCs, so i wonder, is it troublesome if the second character is not a simple character like the Champion Fighter? (I do expect the second character to not be as flesh out RP wise, but for the mechanics, i gave no restriction "for all i care they can be both Wizards.")

SpamCreateWater
2017-08-23, 08:02 PM
So this weekend I start a new campaign with a friend of mine, but here's the catch: It's just us two. My other friends are involved in games, and the ones that aren't I've invited into other sessions but they said no. With that out of the way, my friend's playing a Lycanthrope (https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Lycanthrope_(5e_Race))Ripple-User (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/rk8sHIB3l) Monk and I'm playing a Variant Human Valor Bard. My spells are: Vicious Mockery, Minor Illusion, Booming Blade, Eldritch Blast, Healing Word, Faerie Fire, Hideous Laughter, Hex, Sleep, Silent Image, and Shatter. Do these look alright? We start at Level 3 and I took the Magic Initiate Feat. Additionally, our characters are starting with Tavern Brawler, mostly for flavor. With all this in mind, is there any advice on making this work with just the two of us? Do either of us seem like we'd be underpowered on our own? After all, we have to carry our own weight more than most parties. With that said, I think this setup could prove fun, and could challenge us in unique ways. With all that out of the way, I hope to hear what you all have to say about this.

The issue with running a 2 man party is the same as running any other number of people. Balance. If the DM can balance the "usual" encounters (not the ones that PCs often find themselves in because they can't keep their mouths shut) then there will be no problem.
As to making it work, try to find holes/weaknesses in your own character and: shore it up, have the other PC cover for you in that area, or mitigate how much it hurts you.

I have barely started also giving my players 2 PCs, so i wonder, is it troublesome if the second character is not a simple character like the Champion Fighter? (I do expect the second character to not be as flesh out RP wise, but for the mechanics, i gave no restriction "for all i care they can be both Wizards.")

I've found that, naturally, players will choose 1 PC and make them the spokesperson for the 2. That PC will then, as you would think, become a more complete picture of a person than the other.
Mechanically, however, it matters not how complex they are. Just as long as the player can run both without bogging everything down.

I have one player running a blaster caster and a beatstick; whereas my other player is running a battlefield controller and some mundane, guerilla warfare, hit and run, has-every-possible-item-that-could-help-in-any-situation type of character.
We've had no issues.

Kane0
2017-08-23, 09:00 PM

Player 1 is new to the game and playing a Lore Bard as her primary and champion fighter as her secondary
Player 2 is pretty well versed and playing a life cleric as primary and platesting an invoker (see my sig) for me as secondary

Player 1 is doing very well and picking up the game quickly, she just needs spell cards to keep on top of things
Player 2 is also doing well, only forgetting a couple invoker things every now and again because he isn't familiar with it

So depends on your players, but all in all it isn't that hard. Compare to your average wargame and it doesn't seem that complex :smallamused: