PDA

View Full Version : DM Help How to have my PCs uncover a mole in the city guard

shawngorilla
2017-08-23, 10:36 AM
So I want to create a situation for the players where they have to figure out who, within the city guard, is secretly working for a certain necromancy cult based in the local swamp.

I was initially going to introduce the problem through either the Guard Captain or his second-in-command, and then eventually have the second-in-command turn out to be the mole...or someone else, not too sure yet.

I was planning on giving the a few suspects that they would have to investigate who would eventually end up being red herrings or dead ends...or maybe give em clues on other suspects or the second-in-command. I had some ideas like:

Guard A - Came back alone from an expedition into the swamp
Guard B - No one knows what he does after work, lives alone
Guard C - Overall shady guy, but when interrogated has some information that the second-in-command might be the mole?
Maybe some more...

I was wondering what are some good ways to make this whole situation more enjoyable or engaging for the players? I have and idea for the mole and some red herrings, but nothing is really fleshed out as of now.

Haldir
2017-08-23, 10:59 AM
The classic solution here to to leak differing information through all the suspects, then see how the opposition reacts. If done correctly will point directly to the mole.

hymer
2017-08-23, 01:22 PM
The classic solution here to to leak differing information through all the suspects, then see how the opposition reacts. If done correctly will point directly to the mole.

This is a beaut, of course.

If you're hankering for a prison episode, the PCs could pretend to be perps and see if they can lure the mole into trying to recruit them.