PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Elven sorcerer bloodline (PEACH)

Bob_McSurly
2017-08-23, 11:38 AM
This is my very first attempted homebrew, and I have no sense of game balance, so it's probably completely broken. But you gotta start somewhere.

FLUFF
While magic courses through the veins of every elf, none now alive compare to the elven-kings of old, who were granted mighty sorcery by the elven gods. Though they are long dead, a few of their descendants still have the basic powers of sorcery.

RACES
Obviously, most elven sorcerers are elves and half-elves, but a few humans, (and even gnomes, halflings and orcs) who happen to have a royal elf somewhere in their distant family tree, will end up with elven sorcery powers.

1st level
ELVEN SENSES
Your ancestry gives you heightened sense and intuition. You have the Paladin's Divine Sense ability.
ELVEN MOVEMENT
You have proficiency in the dexterity (acrobatics) skill. If you already have proficiency, you gain proficiency in the dexterity (sleight of hand) skill.

6th level
ELVEN HEROICS
When making an attack with a weapon you are proficient in, you may add your charisma modifier to the attack roll and damage roll instead of your dexterity or strength.
THE LAST HOMELY HOME
You can spend two sorcery point to cure someone you are touching of the frightened, charmed, poisoned, exhausted or incapacitated condition.

14th level
BATTLES OF OLD
You can Attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on Your Turn.
You gain proficiency with ONE of the following; short sword, long sword, longbow, scimitar, rapier, whip.

18th level
ELVEN ENDURANCE
You are immune to poison and exhaustion, and can last three times as long as usual without food and water.
ELVEN FORESIGHT
The spell Foresight is on the sorcerer spell list for you. However, your foresight is your own, so you can only cast the spell on yourself, and you cannot use meta-magic on this spell.

I really want to make this subclass better, so any advice is extremely appreciated!

Edited to try to include some of JNAproduction's suggestions.

Bob_McSurly
2017-08-24, 04:30 PM
I just got rid of the weapon expertise, fixed a typo, and added to/modified The Last Homely Home and Elven Endurance.

Sariel Vailo
2017-08-24, 04:51 PM
Just do an elf song to. Im an elf like an elf all pointy ears and half the cheers

Bob_McSurly
2017-08-24, 09:23 PM
I'm not 100% sure I understand.

JNAProductions
2017-08-24, 09:56 PM
Elven Purity references a non-existent ability. Also, elves can be evil as hell.

Elven Movement is fine, but should give a different proficiency if Acrobatics is already had.

Elven Heroics is OP as hell.

The Last Homely Home should maybe cost 2 SP? Needs playtesting.

Battles Of Old is OP as hell.

Elven Foresight is fine ridiculously OP, with Twin. Thanks AV for pointing it out.

Elven Endurance seems okay.

Bob_McSurly
2017-08-25, 12:05 AM
Thank you so much!

Elven Purity references a non-existent ability. Also, elves can be evil as hell.
Oops. I meant Divine Sense.

Elven Movement is fine, but should give a different proficiency if Acrobatics is already had.
Could it be expertise if you already have proficiency?

Elven Heroics is OP as hell.

How about “When you do damage with a weapon you are proficient in, add your charisma modifier to the damage".

The Last Homely Home should maybe cost 2 SP? Needs playtesting.

Okie-dokie.

Battles Of Old is OP as hell.

Maybe choose three of those weapon proficiencies, and no +2 bonus?

Elven Foresight is fine ridiculously OP, with Twin. Thanks AV for pointing it out.

Added an exception.

Elven Endurance seems okay.
Well, I got one of six :-)

clash
2017-08-25, 08:53 AM
Just one quick note. Sorcerer origins dont get a ability at level 17. You should move it to 18.

Sariel Vailo
2017-08-25, 10:08 AM
If you are racially not an elf verify you are an elf at every given circumstance

JNAProductions
2017-08-25, 10:32 AM
Divine Sense, okay. But again-why? Elves can be evil.

Elven Movement should NOT give Expertise. You're not a skill monkey.

Elven Heroics could, possibly, allow you to use Charisma in place of Strength or Dexterity. (Does run into Sorcadin issues, but much less so.)

Battles Of Old went from OP to useless. Proficiency in a handful of weapons, at level 14? I'd make an entirely new feature. (Plus you have no Extra Attack to use them well.)

Elven Foresight is, I guess, now okay? Seems odd, though.

Bob_McSurly
2017-08-25, 03:21 PM
Going on a short camping trip, so I won't be editing this subclass for at least 24 hours.

Edit: Apparently the trip is cancelled.
Edit again:

Battles Of Old went from OP to useless. Proficiency in a handful of weapons, at level 14? I'd make an entirely new feature. (Plus you have no Extra Attack to use them well.)

I haven't really thought of a good replacement yet, but I will post it if I come up with something.

Bob_McSurly
2017-08-28, 02:13 PM
Could I replace the 14th level ability with an extra attack, or would that be op?

JNAProductions
2017-08-28, 02:31 PM
That'd be fine. UP, if anything.

Bob_McSurly
2017-08-28, 07:21 PM
Thanks for all the help, JNAProductions!

Bob_McSurly
2017-08-29, 09:55 AM
Does anyone think it would be balanced if I added a weapon proficiency at level 14 along with extra attack?

Bob_McSurly
2017-08-31, 11:02 AM
I think I'll add a weapon proficiency.