PDA

View Full Version : Looking for cheap, high CL good magic item

White Blade
2017-08-23, 01:11 PM
So, I'm working on a build to deceive people into believing the character is an angel. My plan is to use Misdirection to put a strong or overwhelming good aura on the character, plus ordinary disguise checks. Does anyone have any good suggestions?

Kaleph
2017-08-24, 07:27 AM
Option 1
It should be actually easy - pick up a low-level non-instantaneous spell with the good descriptor; the effects of the spell (excluding duration) shall not be level-dependant, and should not fall under any "granting bonus" category listed in the guidelines of the DMG for magic item creation.

I did a quick search, and it looks like "grave strike" (spell compendium) fulfills all these criteria. Make a custom item of perpetual grave strike - it will cost, say, 8000 gp; this cost is irrespective of the creator's CL, or in other words the CL can be even 20, but the cost will stay the same.

Option 2
I've seen on some manual (ghostwalk probably) an item continuously providing protection from evil. Regardless of the CL noted in the item's entry, the CL can be as high as you want without altering the cost.

Option 3
Holy water is actually the effect of a "bless water" spell, and it costs 25 gp. Although it's not a magic item, it is arguable that it keeps the aura of good of the spell. Ask your DM. If he agrees, then you need only 25 gp and a high level cleric to do the trick.

flappeercraft
2017-08-24, 11:19 AM
Expanding on the holy water idea.
1. Drink holy water only, when you piss drink that too as that technically is still holy water as the body can't dispel cleric spells
2. Get a rice size vial and fill it with holy water, shut it. Now make a small flesh wound somewhere and put it in
3. Bathe in Holy water daily, re use
4. Holy water injections (Get 1 pint of your blood out of you, put in a flask, cast Bless Water, put back in, rinse and repeat)

Mr Adventurer
2017-08-25, 06:24 AM
. Make a custom item of perpetual grave strike - it will cost, say, 8000 gp; this cost is irrespective of the creator's CL, or in other words the CL can be even 20, but the cost will stay the same.

I don't believe this is correct.

Caster level would still affect things like difficulty of dispelling the item and would still increase the market price. It's not an efficient way to spend money, but so's half the magic item rules.

Crake
2017-08-25, 06:30 AM
Nystul's Magic Aura (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magicAura.htm). Give a random, mundane item an overwhelming good aura, then use misdirection to give yourself that aura. Done and done. It lasts for 1 day/level, so you could make an eternal wand of it for super cheap, then use that in conjunction with misdirection. Use the second charge of the eternal wand to make it look like an eternal wand of something else, incase someone goes shuffling through your things. By that point it'll be out of charges, so they won't be able to discover the ruse by activating it if the find it, unless they keep it for long enough.