PDA

View Full Version : Defiance in Phlan, 7-player [5E]

Pages : [1] 2 3

apheline
2017-08-23, 03:08 PM
It isn’t long after you enter the city of Phlan that you are handed a small missive. The unusual courier, a begrimed youth – a boy of about 9, you guess – simply slips the note into your hand and continues walking, ignoring any attempts by you to get his attention or to inquire about the letter.

The note is on a crumpled up piece of paper and is slightly damp as if the boy was carrying it for some time in his palm while he searched for you specifically.

The missive itself is short and sweet:

Meet at Madame Freona’s Tea Kettle - table in the back
9 am, tomorrow

After refreshing your supplies and spending the night in the city, you decide to head to the meeting place. After all, what is there to lose?

Madame Freona’s Tea Kettle (and Freona herself) is a mystery to many. On the ground floor, below Longbottom’s Emporium, the Tea Kettle provides a comfortable haven to adventurers. With the assistance of her daughters, Madame Freona creates an atmosphere where people can go to have a drink or a meal and escape the tensions of the city outside. Even so, those who are discreet can often find employment there.

As you arrive, you immediately notice the table mentioned in the profoundly creased note. After a few minutes, a group of seven of you have trickled in and sat down at the table.

You have a few minutes left until 9 am.

*Edited for a spelling mistake*

JNAProductions
2017-08-23, 03:55 PM
So... the androgynous-looking person says, dressed in a plain shirt and pants. Anyone know why we're here?

Mari_Lilac
2017-08-23, 04:09 PM
The thin, horned woman shuffles deeper into her seat, eyeing the other parties at the table with deep suspicion, trying to discern any religious symbols or icons among them, before speaking in a quiet whisper

"I do not, however I hope I am not the only one deeply concerned over being summoned by an unknown person like this... Drawing attention is something I tend to avoid, this seems to imply I failed, as have you."

Having said her piece, she once more shuffles nervously but gives a small nod to herself

Modigar
2017-08-23, 04:27 PM
A young human walks in, sword at his side and chainmail clanking with every step. An amulet with the holy symbol of Lathander emblazoned on it is clearly visible over his mail. He glances around at those present. "Ahh, good morning. Are you, perhaps the ones that invited me here? A pleasure to meet you all. Assuming you're not already aware, my name is Adrian. What might I call you?" He pulls out a seat but does not yet sit, offering his hand to shake.

JNAProductions
2017-08-23, 04:37 PM
Sam shrugs, and takes the young man up on his handshake. Sam's the name. Just Sam.

apheline
2017-08-23, 04:45 PM
A young Halfling woman walks up to your table. She has long, flowing brown hair and a blue bar wench’s dress on. She carries a tray with 7 tall mugs of what appears to be ale.

“Pardon my interruption,” she says in a sweet voice, “But it seems you have all arrived. I’m Reece; My mum owns this place. I’ve been asked to get each of you a drink by the fellow who asked you here. He seems to be running a bit late. He said to consider the free drink a –” Reece clears her throat and imitates a deep, gravelly voice – “bit of prepayment.”

Reece tosses a bit of hair back over her shoulder with a shake of her head and places a drink in front of you.

“Oh yeah,” she says as she begins to walk away, “He also said to introduce yourselves to each other, you’re going to be working together.”

JNAProductions
2017-08-23, 04:53 PM
Thanks hon, Sam says, taking a drink and swigging it down in one go. You got anything you can tell us about this mysterious stranger?

apheline
2017-08-23, 04:56 PM
Reece turns back around.

"He's a Harper." She looks you up and down. "I don't suppose you know who the Harpers are, though? You're not from around here, are you?"

Modigar
2017-08-23, 04:57 PM
"A pleasure to meet you, and my thanks for the drink of..." He glances down at it, a little confused, but then shrugs. "Thanks for the drink." He takes a swig, and coughs, unused to the bitter taste.

Shades of Gray
2017-08-23, 05:05 PM
The next person to enter the main room of Madame Freona's Tea Kettle does so from the back room. Coming through the door is a short woman, a decade older (in appearance at least) than anyone assembled at the table. Her hair is a pale pink, beginning to show dark brown at the roots, and shaved on one side. Small segments of larger tattoos can be seen at the base of her neck and wrists. Piercings adorn her nose, ears, and eyebrows. She's in the process of tying a long apron onto herself when she notices the large group assembled at the table. It was very early to have so many people in the shop. With a quick glance outside to see if she had the time right, the woman puts a kettle on.

Upon Sam introducing themselves, the woman butts in. "Sam here's being modest as usual, sweetheart." She says as she walks up to the group, shaking hands with the paladin as she mouths a quick "sorry" to Reece. Clearly her shift was supposed to begin a few moments ago; usually this table would be her responsibility.

"Sam can't be just Sam, that'd be like saying Mighty Lathander is 'just' Lathander. Selling yourself short, right chérie?" She asks Sam with a tilt of her head. Adrian will note that she has a surprisingly strong grip, and as she shakes hands with the armoured fellow he can catch a glimpse of one of her tattoos; a forearm tattoo featuring a particularly unappealing and non-flattering depiction of Sune, goddess of beauty.

"I'm not nearly so modest as my friend here. Immodest, that's another story. You can call me Beautiful," she says with a rehearsed smile. You can tell she enjoys introducing her name, but is perhaps a bit weary of the inevitable follow-up questions.

Finally, it clicks and the woman realizes why everyone is assembled. She rummages through her pockets for a crumpled piece of paper, looking at Reece. "I didn't recognize the one who gave this to me, love. I don't think he was one of me and Sam's kids. I figured that Ol' Freona would have run any new advertising scheme by one of us first," Beautiful notes with a wry smile. She doesn't touch the ale; it's early in a workday, after all. She can't be seen drinking ale, she thinks as she takes a drink from her hip flask.

CinLee
2017-08-23, 05:59 PM
The little gnome with strawberry blond hair, peered over the table at Reese. Could I perhaps get some tea please? I am Lexi Wildthorn, pleased to meet you Sam! With a bright smile Lexi gestured to her shoulder, and this is Terralin. After seeing confused stares, Lexi giggled and poked a lump on her grey shirt, revealing a small grey squirrel! Terralin the squirrel chittered at Lexi. Lexi chittered back (we are introducing ourselves). I don't know who sent the letters? Did anyone know you would be in town? Lexi sat down in her chair disappearing from view as she waited for an answer or more introductions.

JNAProductions
2017-08-23, 10:13 PM
Thanks, Beuat, Sam responds when the woman gives her the compliment. And we'll just have to see if these other people stick around long enough to find out just how wonderful I am,
eh? they add with a wink and a nudge to Beautiful, and a friendly chuckle to the rest of the group.

Mari_Lilac
2017-08-24, 04:39 AM
Giving a wistful sigh at the activity which has come to the table the tiefling thinks for a moment but then decides to play along if just to find out what is actually going on.

My name is Moir, I am not from these parts, and no Ms. Wildthorn no one knew I would be here, no one here should know me period.

She swirls the drink in the glass around for a bit, sniffing at the liquid before shrugging and emptying the glass in one go.

I am intrigued, though. Our host is either very well informed, or I have made a severe mistake in the recent past. Regardless, I intend to learn from this experience.

She does not offer to shake anyone's hand, nor respond to any offer of such.

willowedc
2017-08-24, 08:22 AM
Talia left the comfy armchair where she was sitting and reading. She'd seen half of the group enter and take a seat at the table, and meant to join them. However, she'd found a curious tome regarding the history Phlan and become engrossed in reading. When she glanced up, the table was filled and the group was introducing themselves to each other. Her attention had been distracted from the history text, when the woman in the apron said something about a flyer and a promotion.

"There is no way the little urchin who gave me that note was promoting anything," she interjected, as she took one of the last free chairs, near the tiefling who'd introduced herself. She dropped her hood, revealing a spray of seven stars seemingly tattooed around the outside edge of her left eye and stark white hair. Her hair is woven into a variety of braids and contained by turquoise ribbon. The ribbon curled over her right shoulder and reflected in her equally turquoise eyes. Her lips quirked into an amused smile as her dark skin was revealed to the group. "The drow blood is five generations old," she stated as she lifted the last mug. "Celestian's blessing, fellow travelers," she said as she lifted her mug in a toast to the group.

Talia downed the ale, and set the empty mug back on the table. "Curious libation to be served at a tea house. Call me Talia if you want to catch my attention, or Drow B*** if you want to meet the business end of my mace," she stated as she glanced around.

apheline
2017-08-24, 11:38 AM
The door to the Tea Kettle opens, drawing your attention. A man in a dark grey, hooded cloak walks in. It is no surprise to you from his mysterious demeanor that he heads straight to your table. He sits at the final empty seat and looks you all over.

As he speaks, you’re reminded of Reece’s impression and are delighted to find out that his version of the deep, gravelly voice is not much more convincing.

“It looks like you are all here... Well met, adventurers. I have a proposition for you.”

Shades of Gray
2017-08-24, 11:50 AM
Beautiful smiles and nods as the stranger enters the establishment, placing a hand on Reece's shoulder. "I got this one. You can take a break." She whispers, before retrieving the kettle she had started boiling. She serves tea to Lexi first, followed by the stranger. Looking at how the gnome barely managed to clear the table, she retrieved a few cushions from the front of the Tea House and brought them over for her to sit on, eyeing the squirrel with a surprised expression.

"Adventurers, sure. So, love, what's the offer?" She asks the hooded figure, trying to speed things along before the regular customers came in and saw the strange folks and more rodents than usual. She leans forward on the table, unlike the others gathered.

Mari_Lilac
2017-08-24, 12:01 PM
As the man seats himself at the table Moir raises an eyebrow and perks up

Now, that is a most inconspicuous getup I must say, and while I am very *very* interested in your proposition...

she leaves the sentence hanging for a moment, in an attempt to give it more meaning then leans forward flashing a grin of usually carefully concealed pointed teeth.

... I would prefer you start by explaining how you know of me and who you work for?
And do not try to convince me it was random chance, it might not have had my name written on it but the kid clearly was looking for someone specific, looking at the way their sweat had already soaked through their tiny fist into the paper.

I will keep from commenting on whether this meeting is 'well' or not until I know more.

Unseen by anyone her tail wraps itself around her thigh more tightly as she awaits a reply.

CinLee
2017-08-24, 12:56 PM
Lexi sent a smile if thanks to Beautiful, as she quickly stuffed the cushions under herself. It felt nice to be able to see over the table. Do you prefer to be called Beautiful or Vanima? Reaching for her tea, Lexi turn to the stranger who had addressed the table. What kind of proposal are we talking about? And as we were just introducing ourselves, perhaps you would care to start off with your name?

apheline
2017-08-24, 01:29 PM
“My name is unimportant.” The stranger pulls his hood forward to obscure his face even more. “What I can tell you is that I work for the Harpers, an organisation dedicated to fighting evil… wherever it hides.” At this, the mysterious stranger points to a brooch.

“My proposition to you hinges on your unique position. Most of you around this table are new to town. And, according to my sources, those that aren’t are known to have ties to a merchant – a gnome called Mellberta Jeeks. I know she’s not more than an acquaintance to you, so it probably won’t make you feel particularly sad to know that we – The Harpers – have captured her.”

The Harper glances over at Lexi and shakes his head in slight exasperation. “My superiors believe that you, Lexi, look enough like Mellberta to pretend to be her.

"That’s all that I can tell you for now until I know you’ll accept our deal. If you take it, I’m authorised to give you 200 gold pieces. How you split that is up to you.”

CinLee
2017-08-24, 02:04 PM
Lexi, like most gnomes loved names, and found it strange that other races restricted themselves to 2 or 3 names tops. When dealing with other races Lexi had taken to referring to herself as Lexi Wildthorn instead of her full name wich consisted of 8 names, 5 nicknames, and 3 titles.

Oh but names are important! With that statement Lexi burst into a flurry of questions and comments. Like Adrian is a nice name dose it have a meaning? Then is sam a nickname or a full name? I have meet a. Moira, Mari, Morag and Mary, but you are the first Moir I have meet. Is it Ta-li-a or Tal-ia? I have not met a drow before. Is it difficult being part drow? It does give you quite a striking appearance. Then there is this Melberta I may look like her but no one will think I am her. Unless Myself and others name me Melberta!

Lexi's eyes moved as fast as her words. Landing on each individual in turn, rapidly taking note of their appearance. Finally landing on the cloaked figure seated at the table offer them a proposal.

And may I ask what has Melberta supposedly done to be captured?

Mari_Lilac
2017-08-24, 02:19 PM
As the stranger speaks Moir's ears perk up and a frown appears on her face.

Your name is not unimportant, if it was would I ask for it? Your cloak and dagger play is suspicious and draws attention to yourself and while fighting evil might be a lofty goal evil is...

As the figure points to its brooch she trails off concentrating hard on recalling whether she recognizes it or its meaning, but her concentration is cut short as the figure resumes talking and she, once more, focuses on trying to find any tells that he is being dishonest.

You say you fight evil, yet you profess to having captured the acquaintance of some of us.
You have captured the acquaintance of some of us yet expect them to work for you.
And lastly you expect us to work for you, or your superiors as it was, for 200 gold peices, have you tried splitting 200 sevenways before? Do you want to cause infighting before we even leave this establishment?

She grimly chuckles at her own little joke before continuing, arms folded across her chest.

With all due respect, your group is exactly the kind I am looking for, and I would be thrilled to be allowed access to its knowledge in return for my services.

apheline
2017-08-24, 03:08 PM
You feel like you can almost spot a grin on the man's face beneath the dark hood. "Lexi, I would actually think it more appropriate if you did take on the name Mellberta for this task. You will be in her... role, you might say.

“Unfortunately, I won’t be able to tell you much about the gnome in question, the reasons for her capture, or the plan, until I get an affirmative that you will be helping us. Harper policy, I’m afraid.

"As far as your proposal to have access to our resources, Moir, I think we can come to some arrangement, should you prove useful in this task."

Baveboi
2017-08-24, 03:16 PM
As the party was heatedly talking to the Harper agent about the mysterious proposition, into the Tea Kettle strides a tall, fair-looking elf with hair like strands of young yeast. He confidently marches to the Harper agent and gives a flourish bow, one used in the Elven Courts for quick yet warm greetings. "Please, He Who Harp, you are scaring them unnecessarily. They will accept to help the Good Cause if you give them something to hold onto."

The Elf turns to the assembled adventurers and smiles beatifically. "`Quel amrun, veduil il`er. Greetings and good morning, everyone. My name is Cirdan Baralinor and I the last of our mottled group. I would like to apologize for my late arrival. I was greeting an old acquaintance I haven't seen since last time we spoke in Elventree. Now excuse myself while I will go talk to Reece and her mother. I haven't seen them since she was a wee lass." He gives a mirthful laugh and gestures for the Harper to proceed, giving him a wink and a court smile.

Sorry for the late everyone. I am using my background as a courtier and my century and a half of life around the dalelands and the moonsea as an excuse to be friendly with everyone and be as flighty as needed. :smallbiggrin:

apheline
2017-08-24, 03:40 PM
The shadowy figure's possible grin turns to a definite scowl as his eyes follow Cirdan. "Great, a fancy elf from Cormanthor," the harper says, raising his voice several octaves and making his fingers and wrists prance as he says it. "Too good to sit down and talk with the likes of us, no doubt. 'Got to go and talk to my old friends.' Hrumph!" The sarcasm is palpable.

He looks back at the group at the table. After a long look at each of you, he lowers his voice back into a falsetto growl, "Honestly, I don't care if he joins or not. How 'bout the rest of you?"

Mari_Lilac
2017-08-24, 03:53 PM
Tapping her finger on the table Moir thinks for a moment, weighing the known cons and the known pros, neither being very many... But the possibility of finding leads to possible extra planar invaders tips the scales.

Alright, I'm in! I hope my new employer appreciates my willingness.

I must repeat though, it is not even noon, you could have been significantly less suspicious without the cloak.
I have seen cultists, in full ritual getup, who were more inconspicuous!

CinLee
2017-08-24, 03:53 PM
If it is for a good cause I don't mind helping out, but surely your organization could come up with ten more gold to make it an even split. Moir has a good point. No reason to cause discord amongst. If you can that. I have no objections to helping you out. What about the rest of you?

Lexi looked around at those she hoped would soon become her friends and companions.Grinning happily as Moir accepted the Harpers proposal.

willowedc
2017-08-24, 04:03 PM
Talia shifted the empty tankard on the table, rolling it between her hands as she listened. She’d heard of the Harpers, as well as a number of other powerful factions throughout the lands. She would be a foolish Traveler indeed, if she didn’t know at least the basic power structure of the places she found herself. Listening to the gnome speak about names, caused her to chuckle softly to herself as she was instantly reminded of Hermione, her viol instructor. ‘It seems most gnomes have a topic about which their distrust of taller folk can overcome,’ she thought. “Tal-ia,” she responded to the fast moving query.

She jolted when a furry squirrel, formerly hidden on Lexi, moved. Its sudden presence startled Talia. Seeing that Lexi was absently stroking the animal caused her to direct the sudden outflow of divine energy away from the table, and into a corner of the tea house. “Rats,” she growled, as her lips pulled back in a snarl. She turned her attention away from the corner that was now slightly singed, due to radiant damage. A lifetime of reacting to being startled in the same way, allowed her to face those that noticed her outburst without an ounce of embarrassment. “I do not like rats or being startled,” she replied, before re-focusing on the hidden Harper.

“That said, from the amount of gold being offered, your desire to disguise Lexi as a person I am assuming is less than honest, you are asking for our trust, without offering us a reason to trust you. A curious way to ask for assistance,” she stated, as she went back to playing with the empty tankard on the table. "Not that I'm refusing, I've certainly done stupider things than travel with people I've only just met."

Shades of Gray
2017-08-24, 05:01 PM
While the Harper explained the mission, Beautiful was visibly suspicious and unimpressed. She'd had bad history with organizations declaring themselves to know the truth about what is good and what is evil. Less than thirty gold for such a strange request. For a lot of adventurers that would be pennies. Despite all of her reservations, Beautiful responded immediately.

"I'll do it. Even thirty gold can feed, clothe, and house a dozen of my kids for a year. Even if the work might be unsavoury, it'll spare the little ones from having to do worse."

apheline
2017-08-24, 05:37 PM
The man looks from Lexi to Talia, “I assumed that the Harpers’ reputation proceeded me. Have you not heard that we fight evil… wherever it hides? But if you insist, as a token of trust I can give you each 5 gold now and another 25 after you complete the task. That’s 30 each – more than most adventurers can get in a week! All I need is your help for one night.”

He turns his attention to the Tiefling across from him. He seems to forget to make his voice low and gravelly before speaking, sounding instead like a youth just out on his own. “Moir, you must understand that the Harpers need remain anonymous in public. It is vital that we blend in and be inconspicuous. I see that you are cleverly trying to make me believe I am not inconspicuous to put me off my guard, however, without my hooded cloak, evil-doers would recognise me on the streets.”

apheline
2017-08-24, 05:41 PM
The Harper coughs and resumes his fake, deep voice. "Beautiful, I knew you'd be willing to help. You've never had much love for Mellberta. The Harpers thank you."

JNAProductions
2017-08-24, 05:48 PM
What, exactly, has this merchant done, pray tell? Sam asks. I don't know much about this gnome of yours-but I know that even the Harpers can make mistakes.

CinLee
2017-08-24, 05:58 PM
I don't mind taking on the name and roll of Melberta for one night but I am going to need more information to do so.

Lexi tried to hide her excitement and nervousness. Taking on a new roll was exciting but with so little information, Lexi was wondering if she would be able to pull it off.

apheline
2017-08-24, 08:28 PM
"What sort of information did you want to know?" the Harper asks. "As for what she's done, Mellberta has been caught keeping, abusing, and trading dangerous animals."

CinLee
2017-08-24, 08:49 PM
The thought of anyone abusing animals sent a shiver through Lexi. Lifting Terralin from her shoulder Lexi brought her to her chest protectively. Absentmindedly petting Terralin, Lexi turned to the Harper.

What do you need me to do?
If I am to pretend to be Melberta, I need to know what to do and how to act. You said she was a merchant. Do you need me to work in her shop, or is there more to this? What is your plan? What of the others? How do we all fit into your plan?

apheline
2017-08-24, 09:23 PM
"Luckily, the seller has never met her, so you can act however you like. You go to the meeting place - a barn on the outskirts of town. Just tell her you're there for the egg."

JNAProductions
2017-08-24, 09:26 PM
[roll0]

Well... Poop.

Sam eyes the man, taking his measure and making sure his word is good.

apheline
2017-08-24, 09:27 PM
He seems to be telling the truth.

JNAProductions
2017-08-24, 09:28 PM
Alright. I'm in, Sam says. Once we mention the egg, what's the next step?

willowedc
2017-08-24, 10:23 PM
Talia scowled slightly as she listened. “It would be stupid and foolish to ask Lexi to impersonate this, Melberta without at least a basic disguise. No matter if the trader hasn’t met her personally, he will have heard of her or else why would he dare arrange a trade meeting? Contrary to popular belief, all gnomes do not look alike. Forgive me Lexi, but there’s no way a woman who looks and acts like Lexi would be convincing as an abuser and trader in animals. Sweet Celestian, she has a pet squirrel! She undoubtedly has a presence that animals find comforting, an abusive animal trader would not look upon animals with a kind eye.”

“For this scheme of his to work, you would need to have a crueler air about you, as well as more animal trophies upon your body,” she paused and dug around in her pack for a moment, before standing and walking around the table to stand next to Lexi’s chair. She had her performance make-up kit in her hand.

“Is Melberta of rock gnome or forest gnome heritage? I would assume forest gnome due to that race’s ability to speak to small creatures. However, rock gnomes are more abundantly out and about in the world. Does she have any identifying scars? Hair color, eye color, preferred design of clothing? Does she have a particular way of speaking? An identifying physical habit?” she asked the hooded Harper as she set her case on the table and opened it. Exposing the three layers of her kit, revealed an assortment of items that were seemingly all jumbled together.

"I can work on Lexi's disguise and listen at the same time," she stated as she waved at the Harper to continue, while she searched for her selection of skin pigment and hair chalk.

Shades of Gray
2017-08-24, 10:39 PM
Beautiful smiled as the disguise kit was placed on the table. "Wow hon, that's pretty comprehensive," she said as she eyed the various supplies. For all of their talk about natural beauty, the priestesses of Sune sure used a lot of product. A habit that Beautiful kept, though she never used it to conceal, only to draw attention or accentuate. You must remind me to ask if I could borrow some of that some time. Beautiful says, absentmindedly using her apron to blend her blush into her cheeks more thoroughly. "Once in a blue moon we get a special event that books out the Kettle, and Madame Freona pays me a bit extra if I hide the tats. I have a helluva time finding my shade."

CinLee
2017-08-25, 12:36 AM
Lexi was surprised when Talia rounded the table. As she pulled powders, creams, paints and brushes from her bag, Lexi's nervousness ratcheted up a few levels. Before the images of slightly deranged artists could take hold, Lexi turned her focus back to the Harper.
Egg, what type of egg? You said she had other animals. Are they being cared for? If need be I could get word to my aunt. I am sure she could get her druid circle to care for or find homes for them.

Focusing on the welfare of mistreated animals, helped Lexi ignore Talia circling around her with strange concoction.

Mari_Lilac
2017-08-25, 05:43 AM
Noticing the Harper's momentary slip up Mori is taken aback for a moment, before studying him closely again, trying to discern his actual age

So... let me get this straight Harper Collins: You actually think that when you leave this establishment near noon, looking like you are right out of a novel recounting the greatest heists, melting under your cloak in the midday sun, no one will pay you any heed? Looking the way you do people from the street next over will be staring at you, through buildings!

Oh, and... why not use magic to disguise yourself? Even if you were not personally capable of it, I'm sure your organization would be able to make means available to ensure secrecy

Seeing the commotion near Lexi she shoots a quick glance across

Huh, I can not tell what all of those are for, but I do recognize some of those palettes and tones, I assume they are part of how you make a living? Seeing their high quality and associated high price, I mean.

Ah, apologies...

She turns back to the Harper

I do have to agree with my... companions, though. It is foolish to believe that someone would seek out a specific merchant with absolutely no knowledge of them, and while I loath to question Ms. Wildthorn's capabilities, I fear she will need more information to properly fool someone who would sell something the Harper's feel need to intercept.

apheline
2017-08-25, 07:47 AM
"Mellberta is a forest gnome with auburn hair. Her only particularly distinguishing feature is a long, thin scar on her left cheek. I always assumed that it was from an animal that was able to fight back, but I don't guess she'd tell us if we asked about its origin."

The Harper looks down at the table sullenly, "A lot of the animals are in really bad shape. By the time we got to them... Some didn't make it at all. The Harpers are doing everything we can to rehabilitate them and reintroduce them to the wild, but it's not really our specialty. If you know someone who would be able to do a better job, I'm sure we'd prefer her to do it.

"As for the rest of the plan, there's not much more I can say. You meet at the barn at 8, make sure you place the pin on one of the dragon egg sellers, trade the fake diamonds for the dragon's egg, bring it back to the stables here. Avoid fighting at any cost. Make sure the egg isn't damaged..."

The Harper looks around the table, "Don't suppose any of you are the sneaky sort? Who wants to try and place the pin?"

CinLee
2017-08-25, 08:41 AM
Wait, I think I missed something. You want me to take a fake diamond and trade it for a dragon egg. While someone stealthily place a pin on one if the sellers? Most of the farms are to the northwest. Which barn am I going to? What if they check the diamond? If I was trading a dragon egg for a gemstone, I would have a dwarven miner or jeweler at least with me. How many sellers will be there? Will there be any harpers around to take the smugglers into custody? What is the purpose of this operation?

Lexi's head swam with a thousand questions. If this was to work they would need details. Details this cloaked Harper was not providing! With quick glances at the others Lexi tried to think of all the information they would need.

Can anyone else think of anything else we need to know?

apheline
2017-08-25, 08:56 AM
The Harper raises his voice slightly in frustration. "I can give you the full details, but not until I have your word that you will help me. So far, Beautiful is the only one who has agreed. That leaves 6 others left by my count."

apheline
2017-08-25, 09:08 AM
The Harper thinks back... "Now that I think about it, Sam also agreed, and perhaps Moir when she was berating me... All right, that leaves just Lexi, Adrian, Cirdan, and Talia..."

willowedc
2017-08-25, 09:14 AM
Talia tossed the Harper and annoyed frown as she muttered, “As though scars aren’t ridiculously identifiable. A scar from a claw or talon is less likely to be thinner than a scar caused by a blade,” she added as she painted a slightly jagged, long thin line onto Lexi’s left check. She blended three additional skin tones into the line, giving it the appearance of an aged and fully healed scar. Absently holding onto the second brush she'd been using, by holding it in her mouth. After she finished the scar she glared at the Harper. "Ewe earshoushly eed rush," she mumbled.

When she realized she wasn’t making any sense she removed the brush from her mouth and tried again. "Seriously?" she asked as she shook her head. "Fine, I accept a part in your task," she snapped. "As though I go about accosting people with my make-up kit, without a perfectly reasonable justification. Beautiful," she said a she looked toward the woman. "I’d be glad to share. I make the skin tone pigments myself, an old performer taught me while I traveled with them. No insult taken Moir, I find it’s best to use the highest quality tools I can. This,” she pointed to the make-up case, “ensures that my troupe becomes who we need to be at will.”

“Sneaky?” she asked, slightly more high pitched than she intended. “That rules me out. However, seeing as it is a dragon egg we are going to be acquiring,” she set her brushes down and released her wealth of white braids and shook them out, before gathering half of the long mass, swirling it around itself and pinning it to her crown with a pair of gold and silver decorative dagger like hair sticks. She removed a odd black line from her case and stuck it in her gums.

“Madam Ava, mistress of identification,” she said in a raspy voice, as she slightly hunched over and used the back of Lexi’s chair as a support. “For a small fee, to offset the use of my life energy in support of your quest for knowledge, I’ll identify any arcane or natural item or creature,” she cackled. Her maniacal grin exposed her now seemingly aged and blackened teeth.

In the next breath she was standing her full height with an amused smirk. “I don’t think it is unreasonable for even a veteran black market merchant to have a way to confirm the identification of something as rare as a dragon egg. How good are these fake diamonds of yours? We have to expect that the trader will be as suspicious as we are. Which reminds me, I'll need a pearl worth a hundred gold pieces if you want the dragon egg to actually be identified. If you are unfamiliar with them, it's one approximately this size," she pointed to her left ear, where a pair of white pearls hung on a gold hoop earring.

JNAProductions
2017-08-25, 10:35 AM
I can sneak, Sam says. And lie my ass off if I get caught to boot, they say with a grin.

As Talia and Beautiful work on the disguise, Sam looks over their shoulders. Normally, I'd give some advice-I'm a fair hand with disguises myself-but I think you two have it covered.

CinLee
2017-08-25, 10:35 AM
Lexi looked perplexed at the Harper.

Oh, yes. Perhaps I did not make myself clear. I already agreed to help you. If you need it formalized, then yes I will help you in this task.

Lexi giggled internally, wondering if all Harpers were this literal. The few Enclave members she had meet were much more easy going and exuded an aura of confidant this Harper lacked.

apheline
2017-08-25, 10:55 AM
The Harper nods approvingly as you agree to help. He stands and begins pacing around the table and pulls a small sack from his wildly overdramatic cloak, tossing it to the center of the group. As the bag clinks onto the wooden table, it topples to one side and a pile of clear crystals falls out.

“Yes, diamonds,” the Harper blurts out before anyone could actually say it and you get the suspicion that he had practised this part of his proposition, over and over, earlier in the day "Actually, no, they’re not diamonds. They’re just a glamour. But they’ll look like diamonds until midnight tonight. Plenty of time for you to swap ‘em.

“’Swap ‘em for what?’ you might ask… Well, that comes later. First a little background…

“You see, our dear friend Mellberta was up to some pretty crooked deals. Tonight, she was planning to illegally purchase a dragon egg. Problem is, Mellberta aint cooperating with us, so that put us in a pickle. We needed a gnome to stand in for her.

“That’s when you all came traipsing into town and the High Harper gets wind of Lexi here.” The cloaked man points roughly in the gnome’s general direction. “Lexi will play the part of Mellberta the merchant. The rest of you will be her entourage of hirelings.

“The dragon egg seller is going to be waiting tonight just after dark at a farm house. She’s expecting a gnome woman with six body guards.

“Lexi will take the ‘diamonds’ –“ he makes air quotes “—and make the trade. At some point during the exchange, one of you others will place this –“ the Harper holds up a small, silver pin “– on one of the sellers. Doesn’t have to be the elf woman, it could also be any of her crew." He sets the pin on the table in front of Sam.

“After that, you’ll all bring the egg back to the stables behind Madame Freona’s, here," he points toward the back of the building, "and meet me."

The Harper looks you all over again. “It’s vitally important that none of you use your real names. Probably best if you just call yourselves ‘the buyers’ so you don’t screw it up. Under no circumstances should you fight the sellers or harm the egg.

“Hopefully that answers any of your remaining questions. But since you've all agreed to help, I'll be more than willing to answer anything further.”

The Harper's eyes fall on Lexi, now made up, and he barely stifles a laugh. "I was imagining a more realistic scar, but it'll do, I suppose. I very much doubt that this Elf knows anything about Mellberta."

Mari_Lilac
2017-08-25, 11:01 AM
Is there any chance I could look over the place the exchange is supposed to happen at? I am not much for sneaking, but I feel fairly confident I would be able to find any traps, ambush spots or the like.

I am quite looking forward to our backup meeting their backup in the same hiding place while the deal goes down.

She chuckles

apheline
2017-08-25, 11:11 AM
"The meeting isn't until 8 tonight. That gives you about 8 hours to get prepared. Scouting the area before the meeting might be a good plan."

The Harper gives you directions to the Barnhouse where the meeting is to take place.

CinLee
2017-08-25, 11:21 AM
What languages dose Melberta speak? Maybe if Talia and Beautiful saw Melberta they could do a better job on the disguise. Could they see her?

JNAProductions
2017-08-25, 11:21 AM
Well, I'm going to go check out the barn. You-Harper fellow-you stay in here for about an hour after we've all left. No need for us to be seen with you any more, Sam says. Don't want any eyes the sales people have in this town getting suspicious.

apheline
2017-08-25, 11:52 AM
The Harper turns to Lexi, "I'm very sorry, but I can't let you see Mellberta. It's far too dangerous."

Mari_Lilac
2017-08-25, 11:59 AM
I shall accompany... Sam? Was it? I have a feeling a place like our barn might hold secrets not readily apparent without a keen eye.

...Collins, really now, how dangerous can an imprisoned halfling merchant be?

She shakes her head slightly before getting up and heading towards the door.

apheline
2017-08-25, 12:01 PM
It takes about 20 minutes to walk to the barn which is located just outside the city. As you get closer, you notice that the barn is a simple 30-foot wide by 80-foot long structure. It looks large enough to have both a ground floor and a hay loft within.

You take your time and work until you feel like you have made vast improvements. You take a step back and look at your handy work. "Not bad..." the Harper remarks.

JNAProductions
2017-08-25, 12:20 PM
Well, let's go check it out, shall we?

Did that Harper guy mention if anyone still owned this? Sam asks.

willowedc
2017-08-25, 12:21 PM
"Harper Collins," the aged Talia rasps, practicing her accent. "Will we be using a wagon to transport the egg or do you have another means? An aged woman like myself, doesn't move as fast as the young'ins and it would allow us a means to hide our weapons. I realize we are not to fight, but I have no intention of loosing my life to the retrieval of an egg; should anything go south."

Shades of Gray
2017-08-25, 12:32 PM
Beautiful wipes the various powders, creams, and loose eyelashes that accumulated on her arms onto her apron. She had been flirting around between customers and the task at hand. My my, sweetheart, this has to be the best that Melberta's ever looked. she complimented as she let Lexi her the silver drink tray as a mirror, licking the corner of her apron to wipe some stray red pigment away from the artificial scar.

Mari_Lilac
2017-08-25, 12:33 PM
Did Collins mention anything of value period? No he did not.
We better be extra cautious, while I do not think he lied to us per se I have a feeling there might have been omissions.

Moir is going to turn the barn upside down and inside out, looking for hiding spots, fake walls, trap doors, anything of the sort.

apheline
2017-08-25, 12:33 PM
Did that Harper guy mention if anyone still owned this? Sam asks.

He did not, however, a cursory look around the barn shows a field with corn stalks just coming up. You would guess that this farm belongs to someone still.

apheline
2017-08-25, 12:36 PM
Moir is going to turn the barn upside down and inside out, looking for hiding spots, fake walls, trap doors, anything of the sort.

Are you sneaking while doing this? If so, roll stealth. Also, roll investigation to search the barn.

JNAProductions
2017-08-25, 12:39 PM
Sam heads forward with Moir, moving carefully and quietly. They look around, alert for any potential danger.

[roll0] Stealth roll
[roll1] Investigation roll
[roll2] Perception roll, if needed

CinLee
2017-08-25, 12:42 PM
Lexi visibly relaxed as Talia and Beautiful stopped fussing with her disguise. Ah, so Collins was the Harpers name. Lexi smiled as she stored that little piece of information away.

Dose Melberta have a wagon or cart? It us unlikely she would carry a dragon egg openly around town. She must have had a plan for transporting it. Oh, I would like to talk to some of the Emerald Enclave members I known before this evening. They will likely want to help with the rescued animals. I will just let them know the Harpers have confiscated some mistreated and illegal animals and could us some help. Then the higher up can sort out the details. Any way I should let them know and then the rest of us should check out the meeting place.

Lexi arranged her bag and finished her tea. As she got her things settled she looked to the Harper fir clearance to inform the Enclave. She would tell them regardless, it was just the right thing to do, but figured it was best to at least appear to seek permission.

apheline
2017-08-25, 12:46 PM
As you both get closer to the barn you notice a farmer's straw hat sticking up just slightly above the corn stalks. He looks up as you approach. He waves and shout, "Howdy over there, come to buy some blackberries?"

Sam, you notice that the farmer is looking at Moir. He doesn't appear to notice you.

apheline
2017-08-25, 12:49 PM
The Harper replies to Lexi, "That would be excellent. Please just let them know to come by our headquarters. As for Mellberta, she has a cart, but it does have a blanket in the back to cover up the egg with. It should do nicely."

JNAProductions
2017-08-25, 12:52 PM
Thinking about the best course of action, Sam decides to stop sneaking and just be friendly. Maybe-they are REALLY delicious, they say, putting on an innocent and girly tone of voice. But you know, I was actually wondering more if my friend and I could look around the barn a little bit. My dad's a builder, and I want to study how, you know, they're made. Buildings, that is, she adds with a laugh. Get some practical experience, you know?

Deception check: [roll0]

apheline
2017-08-25, 12:56 PM
"Well I'll be a bugbear's cousin! I never have had no one come over here to look at my barn. Sure is a pleasure, miss...?"

JNAProductions
2017-08-25, 12:59 PM
Abigail, Sam says. Thank you SO much! she adds, walking towards the barn.

Did you build this barn yourself? What about the paints, and all that? Sam asks, a bright smile on her face. She's about to continue asking, but checks herself, saying instead Oh-sorry!
You probably have work to do, so I shouldn't ask you all these silly questions.

CinLee
2017-08-25, 01:01 PM
Thank you. You two did a great job, Lexi beamed as she looked at her reflection in the tray. I am not very good with paints and powders. If there is nothing more you can tell us.
I would like to be on my way. I can meet you at the gate or the barn once I am done speaking with the Enclave. Where would you like to meet?

Lexi hopped down from the chair handing the tray back to Beautiful.

apheline
2017-08-25, 01:04 PM
The farmer's face turns from ecstatic to concerned, "Now what in the world would I have to do that's more important than showing you two young ladies a bit o' my own handywork? That is to say, I did build this barn myself. Painted it myself, too. Got the paint from old Leeroy's Paint Warehouse in Waterdeep. Boy was that a journey, I don't mind tellin' you. But you don't wanna know about that, I'm sure.

"So, the wood in the walls and in the loft is made out of this here local birch tree, my son-in-law did all the tree-cuttin' himself. Mind you, I still hate the rascal for gettin' with my daughter, but that's aside the point, now.

"Not only that but..." The farmer looks over his shoulders and then continues in a whisper, "You wanna know what the best part about it is?"

JNAProductions
2017-08-25, 01:06 PM
As the farmer talks, Sam smiles and makes the appropriate comments. You did it all yourself? I'm impressed, Mr... she trails off, obviously asking for his name. And yes, tell me! It's gotta be good.

apheline
2017-08-25, 01:09 PM
"Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry, miss Abigail, in all my excitement I have forgotten to introduce myself!" The farmer removes his straw hat and makes a very deep bow. "Joseph Strockenmeier, at yer service. But you can jus' call me Farmer Joe."

Farmer Joe looks over at Moir as if he has just noticed her. "And, I've forgotten my manners twice over. Who's your little... creepy-lookin'... friend here?"

Mari_Lilac
2017-08-25, 01:10 PM
Moir just walks at their side, being content with not making the situation any worse.
Oh and of course observing whether the farmer's behavior causes any alarm.

apheline
2017-08-25, 01:11 PM
Moir just walks at their side, being content with not making the situation any worse.
Oh and of course observing whether the farmer's behavior causes any alarm.

Even without rolling you can tell that this guy is either the greatest actor in the world or just a really sweet, down-to-earth farmer.

JNAProductions
2017-08-25, 01:12 PM
This is Moe. She doesn't like talking too much-probably because I'm such a dang chatterbox! Sam says, giggling. And it's great to meet you, Mr. Joe! Or Farmer Joe, I guess-whatever you like. But come on, tell me the best part! You can't just tease like that!

Mari_Lilac
2017-08-25, 01:17 PM
Moir tries flashing a warm smile and gives a little wave

apheline
2017-08-25, 01:19 PM
"Okay, you're right!" Farmer Joe glances over to Moir, "Lovely to meet you, Miss Mo,". He clears his throat. "Okay, so they best part is, there's this... Well, I mean, back in the..." He looks a bit confused for a moment and then continues, "Tell you what, I'll just go on and show you."

With that, the farmer leads you inside the barn. It has no proper door, just a large opening in the front and as you enter, across the length of the barn, you notice a ladder which leads up to a hay loft about 10 feet up from the dirt floor. The loft is 40 feet long (about half the length of the barn) and runs the entire width of the barn. The hay loft is overflowing with hay, so much so that there are a few bales that seem to have toppled down onto the ground floor. Rusted farm implements lean against the walls. Burlap sacks full of grain sit against the walls near the ladder.

The farmer leads you to the back of the barn, below the hay loft, and winds his way through a maze of burlap sacks. In the very back, he lifts up a couple of sacks of grain, moving them to the side with an ease only someone used to hard labour could manage. Beneath the sacks is a wooden trap door.

"Now just you wait till you tell your father about this one!" He exclaims as he lifts the trap door revealing a tunnel. "Pretty great right? Took me darn near three fortnight to dig up this here tunnel."

JNAProductions
2017-08-25, 01:20 PM
Oh wow, Sam says. How far does it go? What's it for?

apheline
2017-08-25, 01:22 PM
"Come now, surely you've heard of Farmer Joe's Famous Corn Whiskey! That's where I store it. But don't go tellin' no one but your pa 'bout that. Actually, I feel like maybe I shouldn't be tellin' no one about that at all..." The farmer looks at the two of you for a moment. "Ah, heck, you two look trustworthy enough."

JNAProductions
2017-08-25, 01:35 PM
Our lips are sealed, Sam promises. Thanks for showing us around! Anything else worth looking at? And if there's no other big features, is it okay if we just wander around a little before we go?

apheline
2017-08-25, 01:37 PM
The farmer continues to look a little confused and you decide that maybe he just spends a lot of time confused. "All right, I don't see anything wrong with that." He looks around as if trying to remember what he was doing. "Oh, right, I will just go ahead and get back to work. You girls have fun!"

JNAProductions
2017-08-25, 01:44 PM
Thanks Joe! You're the best! Sam says. Once he's out of earshot, she turns to Moir. Right-let's search the place, get a good handle on the layout, and head back to the others. Sam then proceeds to do just that.

Any checks needed? I would imagine not, but let me know.

Tunnel will probably be a good spot to sneak in from and place the pin.

Mari_Lilac
2017-08-25, 01:48 PM
Moir looks at Sam somewhat quizzical, when the farmer has left the barn she addresses her partner in not actually crime.

He seemed a bit... disoriented?
I did not feel he was misleading or dishonest so I am unsure what to think of it, your opinion?

I also feel we should take a closer look at the hay loft, it seems obvious if our goal is to secure the space.

apheline
2017-08-25, 01:50 PM
For the barn itself I wouldn't require any checks.

Other than the secret tunnel entrance, you dont' find anything particularly of interest in the barn.

apheline
2017-08-25, 01:51 PM
For the hayloft or the tunnel, I'd like an investigation roll. Although you haven't gone down into the tunnel yet, so you might want to look in before just investigating.

JNAProductions
2017-08-25, 01:57 PM
I don't think he's part of anything. he's just an honest guy, making an honest living. We should make sure we don't trash his barn, Sam says. I'll check the loft-you want to check the tunnel while I do?

[roll0]

Mari_Lilac
2017-08-25, 02:00 PM
Alright, I can do that

She opens the trap door and climbs into the whiskey tunnel

Well, let's see what we can find here

apheline
2017-08-25, 02:03 PM
The best thing about the hay loft is that there is a tonne of hay up there. You really better hope you don't drop the pin the Harper gave you. Looking for that would be like searching for a needle in a hay stack.

In all seriousness, though, you don't find anything of interest up there.

Moir, as you drop into the tunnel below the barn, the first thing you notice is that it's very narrow. The next thing you notice is that after about ten feet to the north, the tunnel makes an abrupt right turn.

I'm going to hold Moir's roll till the entire tunnel is "discovered," then she can search.

Mari_Lilac
2017-08-25, 02:10 PM
She cautiously moves towards the bend ears perking up and eyes adjusting to her darkvision.

Does she hear anything?

apheline
2017-08-25, 02:12 PM
The only sound is the muffled rustling of someone searching through haystacks two stories up.

Mari_Lilac
2017-08-25, 02:15 PM
Neither seeing nor hearing any danger she confidently turns the corner.

And she's dead :<

Shades of Gray
2017-08-25, 02:16 PM
Thank you. You two did a great job, Lexi beamed as she looked at her reflection in the tray. I am not very good with paints and powders. If there is nothing more you can tell us.
I would like to be on my way. I can meet you at the gate or the barn once I am done speaking with the Enclave. Where would you like to meet?

Lexi hopped down from the chair handing the tray back to Beautiful.

"I believe our new employer mentioned something about some sort of Harper hideout on the outskirts of town, cherie." Beautiful retrieves the cushions from the seat and returns them to their rightful place and sets the tray on the counter. "You lovely folks are welcome to stay here until tonight, if you wish," Beautiful offers warmly, lifting herself up to sit on the counter and using a wet cloth to remove the remaining makeup from her work-apron. "If any of you beautiful people are new in town I can show you around when I'm on break, and on the way to the job."

JNAProductions
2017-08-25, 02:16 PM
Sam heads down off the loft, and loiters by the entrance to the tunnel, awaiting Moir's return.

apheline
2017-08-25, 02:19 PM
You turn the corner and see that the tunnel continues on about 15 feet before opening up into a small room. The room, however, is empty of the kegs of corn whiskey you thought you'd find.

Mari_Lilac
2017-08-25, 02:27 PM
This is the most peculiar whiskey storeroom I have ever seen, there's no whiskey!
He was not lying though, this is very peculiar...

She paces around the room, inspecting walls and whatever is there instead of the kegs that should be there.

apheline
2017-08-25, 02:33 PM
Going to use your search roll now.
You search the area and you find a loose rock on one of the walls in the empty room. Otherwise the tunnel and room have no remarkable features.

willowedc
2017-08-25, 02:34 PM
Talia perked up as Harper Collins offered the use of a wagon. "I'll collect that if you don't mind," she offered. "I'll be able to use it in the day-trade square, and hawk my services as an identifier. That way when Melberta arrives with the wagon, her entourage, and an aged identifier, I'll at least have been noted in the city."

Mari_Lilac
2017-08-25, 02:41 PM
Moir tries interacting with the loose rock in a variety of ways, pushing it, pulling it, trying to twist it and flip it over

apheline
2017-08-25, 02:48 PM
The Harper nods approvingly at Talia's plan, "Come with me, I'll show you to the Harper Warehouse where you can collect the cart."
The Harper leads Talia to a run-down building on the edge of town. The journey there takes you through the poorest parts of the city. He motions for you to follow him down an alley toward the back of the building. The pavement in the alley is cracked and the grey brick walls show here and there as if the building has not been maintained in a long time. Two cracked windows sit at precarious heights on the warehouse wall facing the alley.

"The cart's back here, you'll have to be careful bringing it out to the street, though. It's a tight squeeze."
Talia may make an insight check.

apheline
2017-08-25, 02:51 PM
You are able to pull the rock completely out of the wall. Behind the rock, however, you find only dirt and smaller rocks packed together, much like the rest of the wall. You can place the rock back in it's hole the way it came out, backwards, and upside down, however, none of these methods produce any noticeable results. You twist and turn the rock in its hole which loosens the hole and sends a shower of dirt and dust to your feet.

Mari_Lilac
2017-08-25, 02:54 PM
Hmmmm, so his whiskey tunnel has no whiskey, yet nothing else seems out of the ordinary...

She continues to pace the length of the room

Can I make an arcana check to see if I notice whether anything magical is up?

apheline
2017-08-25, 02:55 PM
Go for it. Moir makes an arcana check.

apheline
2017-08-25, 02:58 PM
Talia gets a very uneasy feeling. The Harpers are a pretty well-funded group. Why would they have a warehouse in the poorest part of town and why would they let it be in such disrepair? Talia isn't sure whether she should follow this guy down an alley.

apheline
2017-08-25, 03:04 PM
Moir contemplates what she knows about magic and decides that this room's architecture is oddly circular. Like it would be very difficult for some confused farmer to dig out this perfectly circular room. Even the walls are rounded up and down, like you're inside a giant doughnut with no hole. Perhaps magic was involved in the creation of this room.

Mari_Lilac
2017-08-25, 03:10 PM
I feel this is the extend of what I can do, I better tell Sam, hopefully we have enough time toget someone better versed in the arcana down here.

She does just that, climbing back up into the barn and reporting her findings to Sam.

willowedc
2017-08-25, 03:59 PM
Talia surreptitiously pays more attention (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=22325144&postcount=41)to Harper Collins, and the area around her. "This is a narrow bottle neck indeed," she admitted as she made a show of looking around. "An excellent hiding place," she comments, in Madam Ava's raspy voice. "No one would suspect the Harper's would lower themselves to use an area in such a state of disrepair as this. I think perhaps it would be best for me to guide the wagon out, rather than drive it out."

apheline
2017-08-25, 04:01 PM
Talia looks around nervously. She doesn't see anyone in hiding waiting but she does notice inside one of the broken windows that the building looks fairly empty. There is an old stained mattress within sight of the window, but no other objects on the dark, dingy floor.

CinLee
2017-08-25, 04:04 PM
"You lovely folks are welcome to stay here until tonight, if you wish,"[/B] Beautiful offers warmly, lifting herself up to sit on the counter and using a wet cloth to remove the remaining makeup from her work-apron. "If any of you beautiful people are new in town I can show you around when I'm on break, and on the way to the job."[/QUOTE]

Oh, thank you for the offer. I will head back here just as soon as I am done talking with the Enclave. By the way do you mind if I call you Vanima?

Lexi exclaims to to Beautiful as she makes her way to the door. Once outside she orients herself finding the few land marks she knows. Once Lexi gets her bearings she scurries off to speak to the local emerald enclave members.

Shades of Gray
2017-08-25, 04:07 PM
Beautiful, Gorgeous, Vanima, Q'th'klzz'ch!ng... so long as it's a compliment I'm easy. Beautiful responds as Lexi leaves the Kettle. It was about to become much quieter.

JNAProductions
2017-08-25, 04:23 PM
So something's up with the tunnel, eh? Sam says. We'll be careful, but I still think it'll be useful for us.

On the way out, "Abigail" stops by where Farmer Joe is working, saying Thanks so much! Moe and I really appreciate this! and giving the man a warm hug before heading off.

apheline
2017-08-25, 04:40 PM
Farmer Joe gets a smile so big it hardly fits his face. But then, as you walk away, he shouts after you, "I don't know who y'are, but thanks fer the hug!"

JNAProductions
2017-08-25, 04:44 PM
You're welcome! Sam calls back. We REALLY need to make sure that barn stays intact. He's too nice a guy to get hurt because of other people's business, they add to Moir.

Mari_Lilac
2017-08-25, 04:49 PM
Moir strikes her companion with an incredulous stare

He just said he does not know who we are, there is a magically excavated room in the tunnel, something is... not right here. We need to let the others know, we need to put the screws on Collins.

JNAProductions
2017-08-25, 04:53 PM
Well, he never did get... Our... Names... Sam says. Okay. Agreed a hundred and ten percent. Come to think of it... Why don't we ask Reese about where this Harper guy is staying, and see if we can't search his room or something?

And sorry-I wasn't quite thinking where I should of been. That Joe fellow, he just seems so genuine and kind. It's rare to meet someone like that-and I pray that it wasn't just an act.

Mari_Lilac
2017-08-26, 03:21 PM
I do not feel like it was an act, I can not be sure but I feel he was magically befuddled, we should ehad back to the tea house and reconvene with the others.

Seeing how early it still is Moir leads the way back at a brisk but not exhaustive pace.

JNAProductions
2017-08-26, 08:16 PM
Sam keeps pace easily, fiddling with their clothes a little on the way.

CinLee
2017-08-26, 11:33 PM
Lexi skips on her way back to the Tea Kettle, feeling much more confident after talking to Mariah at the Enclave. A frown momentarily crossed Lexi's cheerful face, as she thought about the Harper. He had just not seemed to hold the authority or will power that tended to come with the backing of a strong faction. Then again she could be over thinking things. Collins could be a newer member of the Harpers, just as Lexi was new to the Emerald Enclave. She was sure she would appear just a nervous and unsure if she had been sent to mysteriously recruit, adventurers newly into town for a Enclave mission. Lexi push the worry out of her mind. There should be plenty of time for the Enclave to get word to her, should anything appear amiss after they contacted the Harpers about caring for the animals. Lexi also decided to see if Reese could give her any information as soon as she got back to the Tea kettle.

willowedc
2017-08-27, 01:47 AM
Talia guided the draft horse, back down the alley with contrived casualness. Upon closer inspection of the interior of the warehouse, she was certain someone (if not the Harper) was using it as their camp. ‘The good news,’ she thought as she made her way through the dilapidated area. ‘If someone surprises you, you’re likely to burn half the area down accidently. All these buildings would go up like tinder, should a fire break out.’

Before she cleared the alley, Talia thoroughly investigated (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=22328674&postcount=42) the cart. She wouldn’t be able to have her shield on her person, nor her mace, for her performance. If there were too many access points into the wagon, she’d have to use the back of it as her trade area. While not uncommon for day traders, it was less common for someone hawking their skills.

apheline
2017-08-27, 08:08 AM
The cart is fairly old, but is of a sturdy construction. It creeks as you lead the horse up to the main road. The cart is uncovered but has a single winter blanket lying across the floor boards. In the front of the cart is a small seat from which one could hold the reins and control the horse.

As you lead the cart out, the Harper says to you, "Don't forget, meet me at the stables behind the Tea Kettle when the job is done. I have some other things to attend to, now."

CinLee
2017-08-27, 06:52 PM
As Lexi happily makes her way back to the Tea Kettle she passes many shops and stalls with merchants hawking their wares. One of the more brightly decorated stalls catches Lexi's eye. Sending a bright smile to the stall proprietor, Lexi nears the stall to pursue the variety of pouches and containers on display. There are basic brown leather pouches, a multitude of colorful cloth pouches and a beautifully designed sturdy leather pouch. The sturdy leather pouch would be a perfect addition to her gear, and lovely design was just so beautiful. Lexi rarely had the opportunity to buy such beautifully crafted things.

With a wistfully hopeful look, Lexi in quires, how much for the sturdy leather pouch? The merchant, a young but gruff looking human pears down at her child like face. Two gold. Knowing merchants like to practice the art if bargaining, Lexi scrunches up her face in thought. Two gold, and that one Lexi points to slightly less quality pouch. The merchant starts to grin, one gold. Turning back the sturdy pouch, I could see two gold for this one if you would be willing to throw in a couple of those cotton cloths. Lexi jesters to a pile of cut cloths towards the back if the stall. Knowing the cloths are not in high demand and likely to just sit around his stall the merchant smiles in triumph. You drive a hard bargain Miss. He tosses a couple cloths into the pouch and reaches for the two gold that have just appeared in Lexi's small hand.

Happy with her purchase, Lexi hurries back to the Tea Kettle clutching her new price.

apheline
2017-08-28, 12:43 PM
Everyone makes it back to Madame Freona's Tea Kettle. Sam and Moir you get back at around 1:30 pm. Lexi gets back a bit after 3 pm (she's a pretty intense shopper!). Talia is the last to arrive at about 6 pm.

Talia made 3 gp identifying items. It was a slow day and since it was your first day setting up, only people who were walking by and happened to have an item they wanted to identify came by your stall. You did however get to play up your part and get your name out there.

The Harper, whom you have lovingly nicknamed Collins, has not come back, but Sam did tell him not to and he told Talia that he had other things to take care of. You assume he will be at the meeting at the stables after the dragon eggschange (thanks Moir :P).

[Feel free to roleplay and let each other know what each of you found out.]

JNAProductions
2017-08-28, 12:46 PM
Right, Sam says. Something is up at the farmhouse. Moir and I went in, met farmer Joe (who is a great guy, by the way-super sweet) and he let us wander the barn. Nothing out of the ordinary except he made a tunnel-Moir, want to give the details on that? You're the one who explored it.

Mari_Lilac
2017-08-28, 01:05 PM
I can do that.

She gathers her thoughts for a moment.

First and foremost the tunnel is apparently for storing his famous corn whiskey, it was however entirely empty with a large circular room room at its end. While searching it I found nothing but a loose rock in a wall, and a feeling of arcane energies, I believe the room was magically excavated.

Furthermore the farmer, Joe, asked us for our names on meeting, yet when we saw him again after searching the barn not only had he forgotten our names, he said he did not know who we were period. This coupled with his eccentric behavior in the barn makes me feel he, too, might have been magically influenced.

she takes a sip from a glass of water, looking across her gathered co-workers and continues.

I am not sure which possibility I prefer, us being lead into a trap and Sam and I stumbling upon our enchanted farmer by accident, or that he was enchanted in response to our investigation.

As she makes to sit down she stops for a moment before addressing the surrounding people once more.

One thing I nearly forgot: I have been thinking about our overall situation some more and I wonder, Mellberta is a merchant, correct? As such her goal is to buy low and sell high, however a dragon egg is not really merchandise you can hold onto until a customer comes along.

So my question is thus: Who ordered a dragon egg from her?

CinLee
2017-08-28, 02:06 PM
Good question. I learn a few more peculiar thing durning my visit to the Enclave. The Emerald Enclave often works alongside the Harpers but they did not contact them regarding the confiscation of these animals. That seems a little odd to me. However it does check out that Mellberta has a nasty reputation and this is the kind of thing she would be involved in. Oh, I did get Mariah to say she would be there when we drop off the egg to Collins. About Collins does anyone else find him to be not quite what he seems?

Turning to Talia and Beautiful, Lexi raises her eyebrow.

Did you find out anything about him when you went to get the cart? Hiw about you have you seen him around? Maybe Reese or Madam Freona could tell us something about him.

JNAProductions
2017-08-28, 02:34 PM
And if they can't tell us anytrhing, then we need to ivnestigate on our own, Sam says.

EarthenRite
2017-08-28, 02:49 PM
"Excuse me..."

The voice came from a gnome standing near the table, wearing a grey and black robe, buttoned up neatly to something of a cravat at the neck. The fabric was worn, as if it had seen better days. Dark hair spread wildly and vaguely upwards, and a thick leather satchel hung crossways, locked and strapped tightly. His skin was pale, and it looked as though he was not accustomed to the daytime.

"I could not help but overhearing, and I could perhaps be of assistance. I am a wizard, and given what seems to be a titanic task before you, perhaps you could use a student of the arcane arts? I ask little, except a share of the income. Money has been...strained of late.

Mari_Lilac
2017-08-28, 03:01 PM
I am not opposed to having a student of the arcane join us, and the share of the spoils ought not to be an issue either, one of our elves seems to have made off with the nearest potted plant.

Moir says after regarding the gnome for a few moments, taking note of his disheveled self.

JNAProductions
2017-08-28, 03:29 PM
Why not? What's your name, buddy?

EarthenRite
2017-08-28, 04:23 PM
"My name is Hovard. And...all of you?"

Mari_Lilac
2017-08-28, 04:32 PM
My name is Moir

She gets Hovard up to date on what they know and what they're job is

willowedc
2017-08-28, 05:05 PM
Talia set her tankard down as she watched the gnome settle onto his chair, and was introduced by Moir. “I am Madam Ava,” she rasped. “Regarding Harper Collins, there is something ‘off’ about both the man and the task,” she admitted. “Listening to the gossip of the day traders, while I hawked my services today, I heard nothing regarding Harper Collins, nor the Harpers in general. I’m not certain, if I find that comforting or concerning.”

“However, I have the wagon, and Harper Collins plans on meeting us back here outside the Kettle’s stable once we’ve retrieved the egg. The wagon is ancient. I picked up a few more blankets, and baskets, to ensure any gear we choose to hide, will be properly hidden. The warehouse, from which I retrieved the wagon, was not a warehouse, but a hiding place. My advice is we are best served to be on our guard and unfailingly vigilant.”

EarthenRite
2017-08-28, 05:29 PM
The gnome nodded at the end of the story, seeming about to say something before his attention was drawn momentarily to the tiefling's horns. He stares for a moment, with a sense of appreciation upon his face before his attention snaps back.

If there is time - your horns are lovely, by the way - I can look around at this hole in the ground. If there is not time...well, I can be very careful. With so many of us, I imagine we would be quite safe. I could accompany 'Melleberta' as an assistant of some kind. A clerk perhaps. I have experience, curse those fools. Sorry. I'm jumping ahead. What is the plan to be?"

Hovard seems to jump between ideas occasionally, like he is talking to himself. I wanted to make sure his "presentation" is right

Shades of Gray
2017-08-28, 06:35 PM
"So much for the mission of utmost secrecy," Beautiful muses as Hovard overheard their little plan. "You can call me Beautiful, beautiful," she says, bringing the gnome a chair and an extra cushion to sit on. She then takes off her apron, her shift having ended.

Beautiful describes the plan as it stands to the new gnome. While she explains, she rolls up her sleeves in order to use makeup to hide her distinctive tattoos. On one of her arms is an entire sleeve of Sune's face repeated over and over, bright red hair cascading from one's head to the next. Each of their faces, however, is slightly off. One looks overly masculine, another has an upturned pig-like nose, etc. The other arm has numerous animals, including rats, insects, spiders, vultures, and worms. "I'm no actress, too pretty to be believable," she says with a self-deprecating tone, "If anyone asks who I am, tell them I'm one of Madame Ava's assistants and I don't speak much."

CinLee
2017-08-28, 06:49 PM
Lexi turned to the new comer.

I am Lexi, or Mellberta for this plan. Nice to meet you Hovard. I glad of any help we can get with this plan.

JNAProductions
2017-08-28, 07:52 PM
One thing, though, magic man, Sam says in a friendly manner. They pull out the pin, and ask Can you try to identify what this is supposed to do? This is something our "Harper" friend wanted placed on the mark. I admit, I haven't taken much of a look myself, but you've probably got a better eye for it than me.

Arcana check for myself: [roll0]

EarthenRite
2017-08-28, 08:12 PM
The gnome's attention turned to the tattooed arms. The faintest of smiles flickered across his lips. He was right...guided?...to approach these people.

Hovard nods, as he takes the pin after getting up on to the seat. "This is probably true. The Harpers...I know a little about them." He turned the pin over a few times between fingers stained with faded ink, opening his senses and trying to listen for that voice that sometimes told him things.

Arcana Check - [roll0]

Mari_Lilac
2017-08-29, 04:41 AM
Moir is caught off guard by the gnome for a moment

I- I am not usually complimented, what a novel experience. Thank you.

I had not even considered the pin, what a grave lapse in judgement... Is there anything else I might have forgotten?

She thinks for a moment

Our dear friend Collins specified the stables for us to bring the egg to, do I remember this correctly? I feel they might also be worth investigating, it should not take much of our time to do so.

willowedc
2017-08-29, 08:35 AM
A raspy chuckle escapes Talia. "The reasons for working as a group tend to outweigh the convenience of working on one's own," she stated. "If not for properly suspicious minds, we would find ourselves unprepared. Which is a dangerous path to walk. Checking the trade off area is a good plan, though I would recommend the task be given to Beautiful and Sam. An employee and a familiar face in a familiar area, raises less questions than any others might. Our time of departure is swiftly descending upon us. Hovard, may I be of assistance in identifying the arcane nature of that pin? I would not wish for you to waste your energy when a simple ritual will give us the knowledge needed. "

CinLee
2017-08-29, 11:09 AM
Reaching her hand out to Hovard, can I see that. As Lexi takes the pin, the natural magic that Lexi is imbued with flows throw her and around the pin. As if whispered on the wind, the word scrying rings through her thoughts.

This feels like a scrying spell. Lexi, passes the pin to Talia. What do you think!

Modigar
2017-08-29, 11:10 AM
A familiar clanking sound can be heard as the chainmailed warrior returns. The once obvious holy symbol no longer dangles over his chain, and his shield appears to have been (somewhat crudely) swathed in black fabric. His voice rings out, annoyingly loud, "How long until we're expected to stand around pretending to be the lowest of mercenaries?"

CinLee
2017-08-29, 11:35 AM
Lexi flashed a bright smile up at Adrian. You made it! We were starting to think you had absconded with the Elf and his plant. Lexi stifled a snicker. Trying to keep a straight face, you look menacing. Glad to have you at our sides this evening. Have you meet our new "wizard"? This good gnome here is Hovard, he is gifted in the arcane.

Modigar
2017-08-29, 11:58 AM
Adrian enthusiastically strides over to the gnome, grinning as he offers his hand. "A wizard huh? I've never met one before! A pleasure to do so now. I'm Adrian."

willowedc
2017-08-29, 11:59 AM
Talia accepted the pin from Lexi. Though she noted the return of the human warrior, his sudden, booming voice, startled her and a burst of divine flame pulsed away from her, to singe the table nearest to her. "A minor scrying spell," she confirmed, as she held the pin out toward Sam. She ignored the fact the warrior's voice caused a rather embarrassing outburst of divine energy.

Before Sam could take the pin, she curled her fingers back around it and sighed, "We have to assume everything we've spoken of is known to whomever is watching, and potentially listening, on the receiving end of this," she held up the fist with the pin in it. She shifted the pin, until the face of it was resting in her palm, her eyes glinted with an intense expression.

CinLee
2017-08-29, 02:09 PM
Lexi shrugs. Fine by me. If Collins is who he says he is, despite his strange behavior, then he knows we are just being extra cautious. If he is not who he claims. Then we need to be alert on the way back from the exchange. Since they obviously can't make the exchange on their own or they would not have bothered hiring us. We should probably not say to much more though just incase. Lexi trails off with a gesture at the pin. Lexi felt nervous and excited over what the night would bring!

EarthenRite
2017-08-29, 04:29 PM
Hovard draws himself up and back a little, perhaps skittishly as the armor clad man approaches. Tentatively he shakes the hand that was proffered. "Ah...hmm. Yes. I am Hovard, self-educated student of the wizardly arts, and a writer. It is a pleasure to meet you."

He tilted his head to the side in thought as the pin was revealed to be minor scrying, and without any leadup began to speak telepathically to everyone, saying he had a trick in case the wrong people were listening in. Then, aloud, he said, "I apologise for forgetting earlier, but I did send word through a familiar of mine to hire a half-dozen mercenaries to keep us safe. They'll be waiting on our signal."

Smiling, he then spoke again telepathically saying simply "Insurance."

apheline
2017-08-30, 10:42 AM
It takes about 20 minutes to walk to the barn which is located just outside the city. As you get closer, you notice that the barn is a simple 30-foot wide by 80-foot long structure. It looks large enough to have both a ground floor and a hay loft within. Fortunately for those without darkvision, the moon is a waxing gibbous. Otherwise, there is no light at the farmhouse.

As you enter the barn, across the length of the barn you notice a ladder which leads up to a hay loft about 10 feet up from the dirt floor. The loft is 40 feet long (about half the length of the barn) and runs the entire width of the barn. Rusted farm implements lean against the walls. Burlap sacks full of grain sit against the walls near the ladder.

A sinewy elf in gray clothes smiles at three humans behind her. “I told you they would come. A dragon egg is much too valuable to pass up.”

The elf turns back to you. “Now, let’s do this quickly. Here is what you asked for.” She holds a very large hide backpack toward you.

“You throw the payment over to me, and we will leave the egg here. We will exit the barn, and then you can leave after five minutes have passed. No fuss, no muss.” She pauses and looks Lexi over more closely. “Hold on. Something is not right here.”

apheline
2017-08-30, 11:14 AM
As Lexi begins to try and protest that there was nothing wrong, the elf woman points at her, "I was told Mellberta was extremely tall for a gnome..." She looks you up and down suspiciously. "Still, it doesn't matter to me who you are. All I care about is getting paid. Do you have the diamonds?" A grin flashes across her face.

One of the humans behind her steps forward, a large, youthful man with the beginnings of a beard growing on his chin. He whispers something in the elf's ear.

Sam and Beautiful make a perception check please.

CinLee
2017-08-30, 11:43 AM
Swallowing a lump of nerves, Lexi produces the bag of "diamonds".

Yes, but I would like to verify the authenticity of the purchase. Once Madam Ava verifies the quality of the egg I will toss you the diamonds.

Lexi does her best to look tough, as her nervousness swells again. As one of the humans whispers to the Elf Lexi tries to listen in but her nervousness makes it hard to focus.

Mari_Lilac
2017-08-30, 11:57 AM
Moir grows tense noticing the transaction slowly going south and tries her best to make out the private conversation happening on the other side of the building.

At the sound of the rustling hay she concentrates really hard in the hopes that their new friend Hovard could receive thoughts, not just send them.

Hey Hovard? If you can, let the others know that there appears to be an ambush in the hay loft, also our elf's friend has a history with Sam and Beautiful. Soemthing about an orphanage?

EarthenRite
2017-08-30, 01:24 PM
On one of the occasional times he found himself glancing at the tiefling to his right, preferring of course the outside edge for himself, he saw the intentness of her look and opened his mind to her thoughts, making sure to keep looking forward so as not to give away the silent communication.

"Of course. Can you tell how many there are in the hayloft? I will let the others know, too. We don't need to...save...any of them if they attack do we?"

He kept his eyes forward, telling in turn everyone what Moir had passed along. There was an ambush from the hayloft, or something there; and, that the associates of the elf were speaking about the orphanage. He kept his thoughts open a moment at the end of each message in case there was more to add. He made sure to keep the words to Lexi short, since she had to concentrate most.

Mari_Lilac
2017-08-30, 01:36 PM
I am not sure what is in the hay loft just that something is.
We should be careful, is all I can tell you, they have either not noticed the sound, or they were expecting it.

willowedc
2017-08-30, 01:45 PM
"Tall for a gnome!" Madam Ava's rusty voice, echoed back in a barking and raspy laugh, as she made her way slowly up toward the front. Making certain to keep herself slightly hunched over, and using her borrowed staff, she shuffled closer. "Does that mean ye thought herself was supposed to come up to the height of yer armpit and not yer waist?" she stated as she cackled to herself, trying to distract the elven woman enough to be able to determine something useful about her.

Madam Ava made a show of looking the elf over as she demanded, "Ye are keeping Madam Ava from her task. I was hired to identify, for herself," she tossed her head, indicating Melberta. "Unlike, some traders," she paused and looked over the elf and the humans, "I worry less over the height of a person I've never met, and more about the quality of the goods to be exchanged. Are ye going to pay my fee to send me away or are ye going to allow Madam Ava to complete the work she was hired for?"

apheline
2017-08-30, 02:12 PM
The elf turns away from the human who was whispering in her ear, shooing him away with the wave of her wrist. He takes a step back, but remains only a few paces from the elven woman.

"I have nothing to hide, Madame Ava." The elf woman snaps her fingers and the human man who is closest to you steps forward, producing a large sack from behind him. It looks large enough to hold a dragon's egg. The bag is noticeably weighted down and has something ovular inside.

"I'll need you to put the diamonds down in the middle of the room while you look it over. I'm sure you understand..."

CinLee
2017-08-30, 02:27 PM
Quite understandable.

Lexi hands the bag of diamonds to Adrian. Would you mind placing these in the center of the room and staying near them till Madam Ava gives us the all clear?

Lexi then turns to Sam. Why don't you give Madam Ava a hand? She doesn't move as easily as some of us. As Sam passes her Lexi whispers see if you can slip the pin on the egg holder.

willowedc
2017-08-30, 02:35 PM
Madam Ava nods absently, keeping her gaze on the pack being set down before her. She waves toward Melberta, in an off hand manner, implying that she has nothing to do with payment. Tensions are high on both sides, it's possible that she'll need to have confirmation faster than her usual ritual will allow. She removes her earring, and slips one of the pearls off the golden hoop, before she reattaches the familiar jewelry.

"When I have yer permission to begin, ye need only step away from the pack, handsome," she gives the young rogue a bold wink, and a toothy grin, revealing her blackened teeth.

apheline
2017-08-30, 02:43 PM
As Lexi hands over the diamonds to Adrian, the man with the bag, which presumably holds the egg, walks to the center of the room and sets it down.

At this, the man leaning against the wall stands straight up and spits some chew onto the barn floor. "Look here, Bullseye Bailee here is no fool," he motions to the elf, "And neither are we. We worked hard obtaining this egg for your buyer. If you think I'm gonna stand by over here while you have the egg and this fella stands right next to the money, you got another thing comin'." At this the burly man pulls a large axe out and takes a few steps forward.

The rogue who just set down the egg winks back at Talia.

CinLee
2017-08-30, 03:15 PM
Looking towards Adrian.

No need to be hasty. Go ahead and step back. Just be ready to retrieve it, if Axel here gets grabby here. Looking to the Elf neither wants to be cheated. You understand.

Modigar
2017-08-30, 04:35 PM
Adrian nods, placing the 'diamonds' down on the floor, and backing up a few feet. Though one arm is occupied by his shield, the other hand is clearly fidgeting, ready to grab something.

apheline
2017-08-30, 05:57 PM
The burly man lowers his axe, but does not put it away, his eyes fixed on Adrian. The man who set down the bag steps back two paces and motions to Talia that she may examine it.

willowedc
2017-08-31, 02:16 AM
"How's on old woman supposed to concentrate, with handsome men popping out of the woodwork," Madam Ava muttered to herself, as she untied the flap of the pack to reveal the contents. "If I were a century younger, I'd be celebrating a lucrative business exchange with one of these fine specimen." She held the pearl in her right hand as she used her left to brush over the surface. Letting her fingers feel the texture and temperature as she looked over the item with a critical gaze. It would be better if she didn't need to use the spell, but if her own knowledge wasn't enough she'd sacrifice one of her pearls to be able to properly identify the item.

apheline
2017-08-31, 07:11 AM
When Talia opens the sack, you see an egg about the size of a person's head. It is a bright green and glints in the dim moonlight.

willowedc
2017-08-31, 09:01 AM
Squatting beside the egg, while running her hands over it, Madam Ava turns her head toward Lexi. "Aye!" she called out as she slowly stood. She refastened the flap and shuffled to the side and slightly in front of the egg. "If ye have need of Madam Ava's services, get word to Kalim Hill in Mulmaster. The Old Fart knows how to reach out," she stated before she turned, and started making her way back to the wagon.

apheline
2017-08-31, 09:37 AM
The elf woman, presumably called Bullseye Bailee, nods and says, "If everything checks out, we'll be taking our payment."

The man who put down the egg walks over to the diamonds cautiously.

Shades of Gray
2017-08-31, 10:40 AM
Beautiful makes eye contact with the person who seems to have been one of her orphans. "You all seem like a fun bunch of people. Hopefully our paths will cross again soon." She makes the gesture of someone dipping a tea bag into hot water.

JNAProductions
2017-09-01, 11:57 AM
Sam (following the plan) assists with the transfer of the egg. As they're helping, though, their hand slips slightly, and they grab onto the nearest person (who just so happens to be form the other party) for assistance, sneakily slipping the pin on while they do. Sorry-and thanks, they say as they get back into position.

18 Sleight of Hand, rolled OOCly.

apheline
2017-09-01, 12:04 PM
The man who had been winking with Talia helps Sam back up and then picks up the bag of diamonds nodding and smiling at the group -- mostly Talia.

He walks back to the elf woman, who makes an exaggerated bow in your direction. At that, her group all begin to walk toward the back of the barn.

EarthenRite
2017-09-01, 12:24 PM
Raising an eyebrow as they depart, he once again makes the mental connection to Moir.

"Those diamonds are fake, yes?"

apheline
2017-09-01, 12:27 PM
As you turn to leave and Hovard asks about the diamonds, A voice interrupts you, and a tough-looking half-orc male brandishing a mace appears in the doorway of the barn. “The toll for passage out of this barn is that egg. I’m sure you will hand it over peacefully so I don’t have to take your lives instead.”

Mari_Lilac
2017-09-01, 12:27 PM
Feeling, more than hearing, Hovard's question Moir grows tenser again, after relaxing a little at the sight of the departing businessmen

So we are lead to believe, yes

CinLee
2017-09-01, 12:28 PM
Lexi watches as Sam retrieves the egg and the other party head towards the back of the barn. Breathing an internal sigh of relief, Lexi removed her hand from the tie on one of the many bag strung around her belt. She hated leaving Mito her enchanted fix sleeping in his bag all the time, but it was such a pain to get him back in the bag when it was time to go. No to mention he did not listen very well and Terralin did not get along with him. Thankfully thing seemed to have hone well and the mayhem had been avoided!

Turning to leave Lexi is startled by the appearance of an orc. Looks like we are going to have a little mayhem after all!

Mari_Lilac
2017-09-01, 12:32 PM
I understand you are a big boy, but a dragon egg omelet still feels excessive to me

I am sure I speak for all of us when I say that threats usually do not get me into a cooperative mood

She draws both her shortswords before continuing

By my count you are outnumbered, so how about you sweeten the deal, I am not sure you can deliver on your first offer

apheline
2017-09-01, 12:38 PM
The half-orc man can't help but grin as you mention he is outnumbered. "Outnumbered, eh?"

At this, you hear the sound of foot falls on the old, wooden floor behind you as if two people had just dropped down from the hayloft.

The half-orc continues, "So, it's come to our attention that you ain't been properly welcomed into Phlan yet. We are the Welcomers and we're just here for the egg." He looks at each of you in turn, So, what'll it be? Hand over the egg or play rough with us? The choice is yours."

Mari_Lilac
2017-09-01, 12:47 PM
I understand that half-orcs being stupid is more than a bit of a stereotype, but by my calculations even with your buddies you are still outnumbered, so I have to say you are proving it true.

I for one do not appreciate being bullied around by someone who can't even count, so I vote we welcome ourselves to Phlan.

willowedc
2017-09-01, 12:54 PM
Madam Ava turns back around as an unfamiliar voice startles her. The sudden sound causes her a startling jolt and the divine energy bursts away from her. "Rats," she sighs, as the column of divine fire surrounds the half-orc. Seeing the half-orc makes her wish for her mace and shield. They, however, are back in the wagon which she is not yet near enough to reach.

"Did I not tell you, Madam Ava hates to be startled?" she demanded as she glared at everyone.

1d8 / dex save DC 13 (www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=22344614&postcount=77)

apheline
2017-09-01, 01:00 PM
The half-orc jumps back with surprising alacrity. He looks at Talia angrily and draws two daggers from his waste. "Fine, if that's how it's gonna be!"

At this point, it'll be time to roll initiative.

willowedc
2017-09-01, 01:16 PM
"How it's going to be? You young jacknapse! It was not I that startled myself, by popping up out of the woodwork! And I've hardly just arrived to Phlan! If you are going to threaten and steal, at least know your mark or your nothing but an opportunistic brigand destined to end your life in a ditch!" she roared at him as she pointed a long tanned finger at him. "I am a third party, you dodged being stricken by divine fire so in my eyes we are even. Now let me pass or face my wrath," she snarled.

Intimidation 5 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=22344690&postcount=83)

apheline
2017-09-01, 01:27 PM
The half-orc sneers, "I was going to let you live if you handed over the egg. Now, you are dead, old woman."

JNAProductions
2017-09-01, 02:02 PM
[roll0]

Y'all gonna want to reconsider this, Sam drawls out, drawing their rapier.

EarthenRite
2017-09-01, 02:36 PM
Hovard turns to see what the other two assailants are coming behind them, leveling a steely gaze at them as well.

apheline
2017-09-02, 03:34 PM
Talia fires magic at the half-orc before running out the barn door, past him. The man reacts but misses her as she passes by. He looks toward Adrián who still holds the egg and rushes in. The two enemies who came down from the hay loft pull out crossbows.

apheline
2017-09-02, 03:40 PM
The half-orc swings his dagger at Adrian who deftly deflects it. At the same time two crossbow bolts narrowly miss him, slamming instead into the barn wall.

JNAProductions
2017-09-02, 05:21 PM
Sam draws their rapier, dashing forward and slashing into the orcish fellow besides their friend.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Attack, damage, sneak attack.

apheline
2017-09-02, 05:34 PM
The half-orc barely has time to spin around as Sam approaches him, but pulls his dagger up to defend too late. Sam's rapier slices a clean cut across his throat and the half-orc falls to his knees gurgling before finding his final rest on the dirt floor of the barn.

EarthenRite
2017-09-02, 09:02 PM
Hovard points at the human figure that drew the crossbow, speaking a few unintelligible words as a barrage of deadly energy streaks towards him, all the while affecting a stance akin to that of a duelist.

Eldritch Blast: [roll0]

apheline
2017-09-02, 10:55 PM
The man flinches at the attack, but remains standing at the ready with his crossbow.

Shades of Gray
2017-09-03, 12:50 PM
Beautiful hardly expected this mission to turn sour so quickly. She reacted quickly, drawing her shortsword and swiping at her nearby foe. She even throws in a high kick for good measure.

If adjacent to a foe, Beautiful will attack them with her shortsword. She will then move to kick a crossbow guy in the face, provoking no attacks of opportunity because of her feat. If she doesn't have an adjacent foe, she'll run up to the crossbow person and hit them with both attacks.

[roll0][roll1]
[roll2][roll3]

apheline
2017-09-03, 01:09 PM
Beautiful moves forward stabbing at the man with the crossbow. He takes a large wound in his side as Beautiful's foot comes down on his shoulder, toppling him to the ground, where he clutches at the wound on his side before passing out from pain or loss of blood.

Just then, two large nets fall from the air, aimed from the hayloft at Adrian and Beautiful.

Beautiful and Adrian make a Strength save DC 10. Then it's Adrian's turn. Anyone who wishes can make an investigation check to see if they can spot the people who tossed the nets from above.

apheline
2017-09-03, 01:27 PM
You see two more combatants emerge from piles of hay in the hayloft, tossing nets down on Beautiful and Adrian -- a human male and an elf female. The male has a dark black cloak which flutters as he moves forward.

apheline
2017-09-03, 01:43 PM
The nets fall to the ground harmlessly and Adrian lifts his javelin to launch at the male tiefling on the barn floor level. He tosses it, but it uneffectively flies past the tiefling who sticks his tongue out and lifts his crossbow once more.

Moir's turn.

Mari_Lilac
2017-09-03, 01:59 PM
Laying eyes on the tiefling Moir approaches him and addresses him in Infernal

Hello there, I tried to warn your poor friend but he wouldn't listen, so how about you drop your weapons and surrender? You'll just have to answer a few of my questions and I'll let you go, promise.

Persuasion roll
if successful she uses her rope to tie him up

If unsuccessful she attacks him with her shortswords
Attack 1 [roll1] Damage [roll2]
Attack 2 [roll3] Damage [roll]d6+

apheline
2017-09-03, 02:55 PM
The tiefling man looks at the bodies of his fallen comrades, nods toward Moir, and lays down his crossbow. As the crossbow clinks to the ground, the human man above in the hayloft shouts down, "Pick up your weapon you coward! You're a Welcomer, now, not some wet-behind-the-ears child." GET THAT EGG!" Nevertheless, he allows Moir to tie him up.

Lexi, it's your turn and you have prepped Thunderwave and attacks, but I'm not sure which you want to use in this situation.

Currently, two combatants on the ground floor are incapacitated and Moir just tied up the last one on the bottom floor. All that remains are a human man with a black cape and an elf woman in the hayloft.

Map:
https://imgur.com/JpeXKQA

CinLee
2017-09-03, 04:32 PM
Lexi's mind whirls as she takes in the rapid turn of events. Seeing no combatants near her, Lexi decides to throw a flame at the obnoxious human in the hayloft. Even if I don't hit him maybe I can force them down by setting the hay on fire Lexi thinks as she tosses the flame.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=22350244&postcount=102

apheline
2017-09-03, 04:38 PM
Everyone including the two in the hayloft looks on as flame pours from Lexi's outstretched palm. The burst hurdles off to the right of the man in the loft and lands in a haystack.

Sam and Moir can't help but feel a pang of regret as the hay in the loft catches easily under the scorching heat of the magic fire. It looks like Farmer Joe is going to have a rough day, tomorrow.

Talia's turn.

willowedc
2017-09-03, 05:25 PM
Talia's hands freeze as she suddenly smells smoke. With a hiss of relief she realizes she wasn't the cause of the fire. "Not that it would be the first time," she muttered as she reached into the wagon. The fingers of her right hand pulled the closest blanket away revealing her crossbow. "Curse it!" she swore to herself as she pulled the crossbow and her bolts from the back of the cart. "The mace is on the left, because, yes of course I'll remember that I switched it last minute!"

Crossbow in hand, she turned back toward the now smoking barn and sprinted back toward the barn opening. She stopped halfway, and readied a bolt as she called out, "Is anyone injured?"

apheline
2017-09-05, 12:05 PM
Sam lifts their bow and fires an arrow at the man in the cape. At the same time, Hovard begins to chant, lifting his hands to fire a beam of crackling energy toward the same man. In his efforts to avoid the arrow, the man in the cape sidesteps right into the beam fired from the gnome. He yelps in pain, but remains standing.

The female bandit in the loft drops down to the ground floor and slashes at Beautiful with a scimitar. Beautiful easily parries the move.

That brings us to Beautiful's turn.

Shades of Gray
2017-09-05, 03:49 PM
Beautiful retaliates, striking with her blade and her fist against the scimitar-wielding assailant.

[roll0][roll1]
[roll2][roll3]

Beautiful will then move to a defensive position near a wall of the barn.

apheline
2017-09-05, 09:50 PM
Beautiful slashes the elf woman across the chest before punching her squarely in the jaw. The elf turns back to her just as Beautiful backs away to the barn wall, swinging ineffectively at her as she retreats.

Adrian's turn.

Modigar
2017-09-06, 02:19 PM
Adrian moves to attack the woman engaged with Beautiful. "Your opponent is myself!" He swings down with his blade, putting all his not inconsiderable mass behind the blow.

[roll0]
[roll1]
Well a nat 1 isn't hitting a damn thing I want it to :smallbiggrin:

apheline
2017-09-06, 02:44 PM
Adrian strikes at the elven woman, but in his haste he drops the egg. The caped man jumps down from the loft and grabs the egg, however Adrian drops his weapon and struggles with the man for a moment before pulling the egg from his grasp.

The elven woman and the caped man share a discouraged look.

Moir's turn followed by Lexi.

Mari_Lilac
2017-09-06, 03:44 PM
Moir rushes towards Adrian's side and engages the caped man, swinging both her shortswords at him

Attack [roll0] Damage [roll1]
Bonus action [roll2] Damage [roll3]

Come on you two, is this really worth losing your lives over? I mean, I can see you arguing it might be worth losing your companion's lives over but your own?

apheline
2017-09-06, 04:05 PM
Both of your remaining enemies hold steadfast even as you point out their increasingly bad chances. Lexi shoots another bolt of fire from her hand at the caped man. This time the fire hits its target and he quickly extinguishes a small ember which remained on his cloak.

Talia's turn, followed by Sam.

willowedc
2017-09-06, 07:12 PM
Talia moved closer toward the barn opening. The sounds of fighting, and the occasional shout of surprise and pain drew her close enough to witness Lexi command a burst of flame. Flames burst over the human man in the smoking cape, as the others battled to retain control of the egg. She glanced between the caped man and the injured woman.

Settling on the elven woman as her target, she aimed and fired her crossbow.

"Aren't we a hardy bunch," she stated randomly. 'Unexpected,' she thought as she looked the others over. No one was overtly bleeding or even looked injured.

14 to hit (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=22350390&postcount=107)

apheline
2017-09-06, 08:24 PM
Oops, sorry, I forgot you posted that earlier. Sam's up now followed by elf lady.

Talia's shot misses the elf woman and sticks into the side of a sack of grain at the other end of the barn.

apheline
2017-09-07, 08:55 PM
Sam shoots the elf woman right in the eye, killing her instantly. She collapses do the ground. Hovard fires another blast of electrifying energy, striking the man in the cape in the chest.

Beautiful's turn.

Shades of Gray
2017-09-07, 08:58 PM
Beautiful runs towards the caped man, attempting to grapple him to the ground and end the fight.

[roll0]

If the grapple fails, she'll throw out a punch for good measure.

[roll1][roll2]

apheline
2017-09-07, 09:28 PM
Beautiful loses her footing on some loose straw and tumbles to the ground halfway to the caped man. The man attempts to pull the egg from Adrian's grip, but Adrian's grip remains steadfast. The man in the cape decides to run.

Adrián may make an attack of opportunity if he would like to.

Modigar
2017-09-08, 05:53 AM
Adrian lashes out at the caped man as he tries to retreat, and pursues him, swinging his leg out to trip him.

AoO, and then moving to follow, and attempting a shove to knock him prone. I'd shove first, but I'm not sure I can do that as an AoO.
AoO: attack [roll0], damage [roll1]
Shove: attack [roll2], athletics [roll3]

Mari_Lilac
2017-09-08, 07:58 AM
As the caped thief moves away Moir reflexively swings at him

reaction: [roll0]
damage: [roll1]

apheline
2017-09-08, 08:32 AM
As the cloaked man runs, Moir slashes him across the back. The man takes a few steps, leaving a trail of blood behind him, before Adrián tackles him to the ground. "Please, don't kill me!" he shouts, barely struggling beneath Adrian. "I surrender! Just let me go. I'll give you anything!"

Moir's turn.

Mari_Lilac
2017-09-08, 08:41 AM
Moir ties him up

Technically I already used my rope, but I reckon someone would lend me some for that?

Well, you should have listened to me after all. Now, why don't you tell us who send you?

apheline
2017-09-08, 09:02 AM
"Look, I'll tell you what I know if you promise to let me and Remoris go after." The man nods toward the tiefling tied up in the corner.

CinLee
2017-09-08, 10:33 AM
Lexi looks back and forth between the two captive bandits as she thinks. Absent mindedly tucking a stray lock of hair behind her ear.

I see no reason to kill you and information is much more useful then a dead body. What do all of you think?

willowedc
2017-09-08, 04:00 PM
Talia glances between the pair of bandits, the egg, and the others. "Hostages aren't really my thing," she states in Madam Ava's raspy voice, as she keeps her crossbow trained on the cape wearing bandit. "If you want to question them, I suggest you make it quick. After all, Collins is waiting for our report." Her voice deepened with the force of her distrust as she referred to the unnamed Harper, who started all this.

apheline
2017-09-08, 04:28 PM
The man in the cape gulps noticeably. "No need to be hasty. So, you want to know who we are and what we're doing here. That's easy. I'm Jonetar and this is Remoris, we're Welcomers -- you know, the local thieves' guild? Anyway, one of our informants got word that Bullseye Bailee had pulled in some interesting loot on her latest conquest -- a green dragon's egg. By the time the Welcomers lined up a buyer, Mellberta had already beaten us to the punch." Jonetar's face looks angry for a moment, but then he quickly continues his story. "Mellberta is kind of a new name in Phlan and she's stickin' her fingers into pockets that ain't hers to be stickin' 'em in, if you catch my drift?

"Anyway, we came to show Mellberta a thing or two, but then you folks showed up. Who are you?" He looks at the crossbow Talia is holding and gulps again. "I mean, if you don't mind me asking... I mean, it's fine if you don't want to say... Just don't shoot us!"

willowedc
2017-09-08, 05:07 PM
"This is why I hate dealing with hostages," Talia growled. "You always end up with complications and more cursed questions. How about we get to names if we like your answers. I have two that are making me twitchy. First, is there a Welcomer who passes himself off as a Harper in your guild? Second, what did you notice about the egg, just now?"

apheline
2017-09-08, 06:23 PM
"A Welcomer pretending to be a Harper? Not that I know of. Remoris?" Jonetar looks over at the tiefling who shakes his head. He turns back to Talia. "As for the egg... I can't be sure without a closer look, but for the brief moment I held it, it didn't feel quite right... Too light."

Mari_Lilac
2017-09-08, 06:37 PM
While Talia interrogates the man, Moir walks up to the bound tiefling but calls out beforehand

Oh, just so we are clear, I caught whatshisname, Remoris? That makes him my property, I mean new servant.

Then she addresses her new man servant

So, I feel we could go along quite well, how about you tell me some things your friend does not know? Like, have you ever been approached by any people interested in your ancestry or similar?

CinLee
2017-09-08, 06:38 PM
Lexi frowns at Jonetar. Keeping a eye on him she walks over to Adrian.

Here, let me see that egg.

Taking the egg from Adrian, Lexi starts to closely inspect the egg.

apheline
2017-09-08, 08:21 PM
The tiefling on the ground turns to Moir and speaks in infernal:

"How did you know about them? Also, I'm no one's servant. You and they will never take me. Even if that means I die first."

CinLee
2017-09-08, 09:32 PM
Guys who have a problem this is no egg. On the up side I don't feel to concerned about the fake diamonds now. Well do we want to head back to Collins or should we check out the tunnel first? Sam and Mori did say there was something off about it.

willowedc
2017-09-08, 09:52 PM
'A stone?' her mind screams at her. 'A natural object, a piece of the very world itself, and you couldn't even tell. Are you even a cleric of Celestian? That you can't tell a rock from an egg? How foolish a Traveler, how ignorant,' her inner voice taunted her.

Before she can torture herself, with more recriminations about her failure to truly identify the rock/egg, she hears a language she hasn't heard for a number of years. Her spine stiffens, and she looks away from the caped bandit, toward the pair of tiefling. Her turquoise eyes flare with anger, and a trace of disgust. Slavery is rampant in the world, that doesn't mean she has to stand idle and watch it happen before her very eyes. Her voice fills the air around her.

"Focus on the task at hand, not gaining studs for your stable!"

Talia focused on Lexi and lowered her crossbow, before she shoots someone because she's lost her temper. "We take the 'egg' and deliver it," she confirmed. Her doubts about her faith and value can come later, when she's alone.

EarthenRite
2017-09-08, 10:53 PM
Hovard shrugs, listening for a moment to the strange sound of the infernal tongues, appreciating the sound that such dire tones make.

"I agree. Whether it's an egg or not an egg in truth, this is what we were asked to acquire."

At this, he walks to the fallen bodies, checking through each and gathering such things as might be relevant. He specifically looks for documents - books, travelling papers and the like - that the Welcomers might be carrying.

An investigation roll, just in case - [roll0]

apheline
2017-09-08, 11:40 PM
"At least let us go before pilfering through the pockets of my fallen comrades!" Jonetar angrily shouts before catching himself, realising his predicament. "I'm sorry, it is difficult to watch. We answered your questions, now let us leave, please."

CinLee
2017-09-09, 02:55 AM
Unless you can tell us more about Mellberta or Bullseye Bailee. I see no reason to keep you. Your obviously not who are interested in and we are obviously not who you were looking for.

After listening to Jonetar, Lexi starts checking the bandit bodies along with Hovard. You never know what useful things they might be carrying, Lexi thinks as she searches.

Mari_Lilac
2017-09-09, 05:33 AM
It might be difficult to watch, but to the victors go the spoils, and ultimately it is your fault is it not? You lead them to their death over a green rock, no?

Turning back to the tiefling she once more speaks to him

Perhaps I was a bit hasty we shall return to the matter of your employment some other time. Regarding those who approached you, I have reason to believe they might be related to many of the ails this city suffers. What can you tell me about them? Did they make themselves identifiable to you perhaps?

She shoots Talia an angry look

Please, must we all so strictly separate pleasure and business? I chose to talk to our friend her in infernal for the purpose of privacy, I would appreciate it if you could at least pretend not to understand.

willowedc
2017-09-09, 08:38 AM
Talia glances at Moir and gives her a silent nod. 'I'll apologize later,' she promises herself, as she backs away from Jonetar. "I'll bring the wagon closer," she states. "We can decide if we want to return it or to allow Jonetar and Remoris to use it to transport their fallen." She backs up another few feet, before leaving the barn.

apheline
2017-09-09, 09:02 AM
The tiefling turns back to Moir.

"I see... You are not one of them... The people who came before, they were like us, but... different. They took my wife and my daughter. I have nothing left..."

He trails off into sobs and Jonetar turns to him, "Pull yourself together, man. They're letting us go. And you hardly knew these people." He motions with his head toward their fallen comrades, guessing that they were the source of Remoris's tears. Jonetar turns back to Talia. "We don't need to bring them back. I'll let my boss know what happened here and they'll send someone to clean up. Sorry about the fake egg. That's some terrible luck."

Mari_Lilac
2017-09-09, 09:22 AM
Taken aback by the tiefling's confession Moir goes quiet for a moment, giving him a moment to collect himself before going on

I am sorry to hear of your loss, but can you tell me anything that could help me find them?
Perhaps there is still something that could be done for your family, please, any little detail might be important.

apheline
2017-09-09, 11:33 AM
Remoris regains control of his emotions. "All I know is that they were seen leaving Phlan going east."

willowedc
2017-09-10, 09:04 AM
Talia sets her crossbow on the back of the cart, and strips off her moomoo. After finding her pack, she shoves the clothing into the central pocket while looking for her disguise kit. She removes the teeth strip, and returns the pen knives to the case, gathering her long braids in a ponytail and securing it with a leather strip. She aggressively cleans the make-up off her face with water from her skein, before packing everything away, and leading the cart closer to the barn.

Once she's returned to the barn, Talia settles her mace and her shield, before returning her crossbow to her side. She carries the pack by the straps and sets it just inside the barn. With a serious expression, she approaches the first of the dead, squats beside it and uses water from her skein to trace a star on the elf woman's forehead while she speaks in aquan.

Wanderer, please guide these Travelers, through the paths of the spirits, to the realm of their beliefs. May their travels end in comfort, and their worries end in rest. May the events of their lives be recorded in fine leather, and their loved ones find comfort in the temple. If they hold no god in their heart, please welcome them to the stars and let them forever watch over and guide the living.

apheline
2017-09-10, 10:10 AM
Jonetar and Remoris bow their heads respectfully during the rites.

CinLee
2017-09-10, 10:21 AM
Lexi gathers the "egg" and hauls it to the cart. Once the "egg" is deposited in the cart Lexi hurries back to the barn entrance. She curiously watches Talia preform last rights on each of the bandits.

Mari_Lilac
2017-09-11, 06:09 AM
As Talia performs her rites Moir finishes up her conversation with Remoris, giving no heed to the respectful conduct others show to the dead.

I can not promise that I will find her, and even if I do, I can not promise they will still be alive,
but I can promise that I will try to right this wrong. Be careful in the future, you were the first to surrender and your caped friend might hold it against you, keep your ears and eyes open, but do not endanger yourself. There is a chance I might find your family, and if I do they will need you to return you.

Do any of you more arcane people want to take a look at Farmer Joe's Raddish Schnaps cellar?

CinLee
2017-09-11, 11:51 AM
Lexi skips over to Moir.

I'll give it a try! Lexi scurries over to the tunnel entrance. Let's hope they are not still down here. Are there any traps?

When Lexi reaches the end room she will investigate it and then try to access the any arcane effects about or in the room.

This looks like it was done with transmutation magic. However this is one of those thing I know but can't really explain as it similar to the magic I use but not the same. Oh maybe Havord can get a better feel for it being a wizard. I'll send him down.

With that Lexi skips back up the tunnel and heads back into the barn.

Havord it appears to be something with transmutation magic. Can you see if you can get a better read on it. I'll stay up here with Talia!

EarthenRite
2017-09-11, 07:56 PM
At the mention of the tunnel, Hovard looks up with genuine excitement.

"An unexplored and ruinous cavern cleft into the earth for unknown purpose? Yes! I shall explore with haste. I wonder what shall be found...within these depths!"

With a flourish, he sweeps into the tunnel and down to the room at the end, exploring every nook and cranny, listening to anything that is present there. As he explores, he speaks to himself or anyone else who happens to be there at the time.

"Beautiful! Lost and abandoned...a catacomb of labyrinthine horror. What darkness have you seen, you eldritch stones?"

Rolls of Possible Relevance:
Investigation: [roll0]
Arcana: [roll1]

willowedc
2017-09-11, 10:21 PM
After finishing the rites, Talia retrieved her pack and placed it in the back of the wagon. She set her crossbow on it, and leaned against the side, facing away from the barn. She really doesn't even care that there's a room or a passage, or a whatever, Moir asked Lexi and Hovard to investigate.

She exhales slowly and stares up at the night sky, wishing she could see more stars. That was one of the few things she missed about traveling by sea. On the clear nights, it was just her, her voracious family, and the stars. She pressed her fist over her heart as a sudden burst of loss filled her. She wondered idly if she'd have the 'nightmare' tonight. The one that made her relive the night she lost everything to the sea drow of Moonsea.

If she did, she'd be gone before first light. If Collins took the wagon, she knew where to find it to steal it from him so she could be on her way. He was definitely, not what he seemed. If the local thieves guild wasn't even aware Melberta had been grabbed by the Harpers, she knew to doubt everything he'd told them. 'Until he proves traitorous, he gets the rock/egg in exchange for the gold. He undoubtedly already knows the exchange happened, due to the scrying pin.'

CinLee
2017-09-11, 10:39 PM
Humming quietly to herself Lexi climbs up into the wagon. Making her way across the wagon Lexi peeks into her new pouch checking on Terralin. A wide smile spreads across her face at the sight of her little friend sleeping peacefully curled up into a soft ball of fur. Once on the other side Lexi leans her elbows on the side of the wagon near Talia.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=22375164&postcount=128
Lexi begins to talk to the distracted Talia.

That was nice of you to preform last rights for them. Your way differs from what I am used to. Do you mind telling me about them and their meanings.

apheline
2017-09-11, 10:50 PM
As your group gathers at the wagon, you feel a cold wind beginning to blow and you're reminded that Highharvestide is quickly approaching. The moon is beginning to rise on the horizon, shedding an eerie light on the cornfields in the distance.

willowedc
2017-09-12, 12:05 AM
As they waited at the wagon, before heading back toward the city, Talia glanced at Lexi. "The water star represents, one of the paths the Wanderer takes," she pointed to one of the seven stars near her left eye. "It is the path that washes away the emotions that tarnish a soul. Using water to trace the star upon the head of unknown dead, offers the soul a chance to travel to the realm of their god. Clerics use it to bring Celestain's attention to a wandering soul, so those who are lost can be shown the path to their faith. If the soul has no faith, we ask that Celestian take them to the stars so they can shine bright and light the way for travelers."

She paused for a moment, before she said, "Every Cleric of Celestian will speak the rites in a language that invokes within them an intense emotional response. The language I use is Aquan."

CinLee
2017-09-12, 08:34 AM
That is definitely different from what we do but strangely there are also similarities. We place a gem onto the departed then they are buried at the roots of a young tree. This lets us honor Segojan Earthcaller and allows our bodies to rejoin nature in strengthening our home. Finally on the next full moon we celebrate their lives telling stories of their many adventures. We also offer the departed's most treasured belonging to Baervan Wildwanderer. This offering to Baervan is so he may lead their soul to the Golden Hills and onto their next adventure.

After explaining the burial rights of her people Lexi drifts off into quiet contemplation. As her thought turn solum she she looks around at the scenery enjoying the eerie moon light and wind rustling the crops!

willowedc
2017-09-12, 04:31 PM
After Lexi stopped explaining her people's last rights, only the sound of the horse's pawing at the ground, and the rustling of wind in the fields could be heard. Talia glanced around, as a sudden burst of wind caused a shivering chill up her spine. "Did we really travel this far?" she asked, not expecting an answer. "I don't remember there being this many cornfields," she muttered to herself.

EarthenRite
2017-09-12, 05:54 PM
Hovard comes sweeping back up from the tunnel, and the chamber at the end, to the awaiting ears of anyone remaining nearby.

"My friends! The cavern below was excavated by fell wizards known...as geomancers! Among their number, no small amount of powerful practitioners. Their reasons I do not know, nor their identities. Where...where are we going now?

willowedc
2017-09-12, 07:08 PM
Hovard's excited voice, startled Talia. Having been watching the eerie cornfields, for foes unknown, she hadn't expected to be startled from behind. Diivine flame burst from her, a sudden column of light in the evening air. "Rats," she groaned as she turned slowly. "What is a geomancer? We are returning to Phlan and Collins, with that," she pointed toward the stone-egg.

CinLee
2017-09-12, 07:25 PM
Lexi stifles a giggle at the sudden column of light. Hovard's sudden appearance rescuing her from her solum thought.

Yep we are headed back to Phlan. Got to report in! Come on Moir, we need to get back before much later. Time to see Collins true colors.

With that Lexi pulls out a cloth and begins polishing the scuff of the egg, humming as she does.

Mari_Lilac
2017-09-13, 06:28 AM
Very well, let us be off then.

Thinking back to the conversation of deities and funeral rites she can't help but wonder aloud

Why would you think the departed require divine guidance, have they not managed in life without? Best for the divine to stay out of mortal affairs, or... ex-mortal affairs, I guess.

She is still puzzled by the subterranean chamber, but seeing how no danger was found she keeps her thoughts on the matter private.

Come to think of it, Hovard do you think you could imbue the "egg" with some warmth through use of your magic?
Just in case our friend Collins is not aware the egg is actually not an egg at all

willowedc
2017-09-13, 10:04 AM
Talia chuckled to herself as Moir voiced her opinion about the gods. She replied in Infernal.

The divine stay out of mortal affairs as often as demons are content with the Abyss or devils can resist the temptation to corrupt the innocent. It has been some time since I have heard the Infernal language. In my discontent I interfered in your private matters, I apologize for speaking out of turn earlier. Slavery is not against the laws of the land, though it is one of the few paths those of my faith will not travel.

Mari_Lilac
2017-09-13, 10:43 AM
Taking in a sharp breath Moir turns towards Talia

Your snipe at my ancestry is duly noted, furthermore I do not recall every enslaving anyone,
so you will have to forgive me for not apologizing for it. I would invite you to ask questions before making further assumptions, unless you appreciate acting foolish

She fixes her with her gaze

apheline
2017-09-13, 11:48 AM
At that, you bring the cart around the back of Madame Freona's Tea Kettle. As promised, the Harper is waiting by the stables. He motions for you to bring the cart and egg over. As you approach, he whispers, "The pin was planted perfectly. Great job! Do you have the egg?"