PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Using create demiplane as a prison. A few questions.

Warior4356
2017-08-23, 05:04 PM
So with the following premise in mind: A demiplane that is permanent, timeless, for thematic sake a spacial labyrinth using shape and structure, finally apply dead magic to prevent escape.

Now apply dead magic must be done last obviously. Is there any way to reverse the application of dead magic, or is it never going to be reversible?

Do you have to make a portal on the plane to get out or can you just eject yourself when finished? Also dead magic says permanent portals are the exception, does this include portals made on a different demiplane? If that's allowed could you just make the portal on the other plane when you need to get in and out? Then using constructs or something as guards if you must have a portal as they are immune to dead magic right?

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions let me know and I would like any clarification that can be offered on this.

Warior4356
2017-08-23, 07:18 PM
Going in is easy, a basic planeshift works for that. Its getting out.

Time wise you can do, timeless, erratic, 2x or 1/2x.

Though possibly a better idea than dead magic is just use timeless and use a short duration hard CC spell. Which is infinite in the plane, until the caster dismisses it.

Footman
2017-08-24, 07:30 AM
You need to add the "Portal " Trait BEFORE you add the Dead Magic trait to your Plain. You can add the Dead Magic Trait to your Plane after you have created it by casting the the Create Greater Demiplane Spell again.

If you want to be really Evil, Destroy your Planar Portal Exit on the Material Plane (or whatever Plane you set up to be the Exit Point, Disjunction comes to mind), that means no one will ever get out of there unless he/she has direct help from a Deity or Demigod/Demonlord etc.

After you changed the Magic Trait to "Dead Magic", you can NOT ALTER THE PLANE IN ANY WAY! Fullstop! Which means if you haven't added the "Portal" Trait before you are now forever Trapped on your Plane, the Spell itself even says so. You can not just Eject yourself.

Nibbens
2017-08-24, 08:01 AM
Interesting caveat that may or may not affect the way you design this plane (even if not, it's pretty cool):

Plane shift in PF requires as a component:

Components V, S, F (a forked metal rod attuned to the plane of travel)

Bolded for emphasis.

It could be easily reasoned that to plane shift to your dead magic plane, a tuning fork aligned with that dead magic plane would be exceptionally hard to come by - particularly if that plane is kept secret from the vast majority of the world. If the world doesn't know the plane exists, it would be nigh impossible to "attune" a tuning fork to it.

Even if said tuning forks in the world cost 1gp (and thus qualifying for eschew materials) an "attuned tuning fork" would cost substantially more (and depending on the rarity of the plane, perhaps even priceless).

This makes travel to your plane exceedingly difficulty, save for the occasional prismatic spray that sends targets to a random plane, or the very few other "randomly selected plane" affects that exist in PF. Regardless, the entrance of this to such a plane randomly could happen, so it's not foolproof. Getting out is another story, however - I'm aware of this. lol.

Lastly, via DM intervention, since demiplanes are created coterminously to either the Shadow Plane or Astral Plane, given enough time (or catastrophic event located nearby the coterminantion point of the prison plane in question), it could be logical to say that the magic holding the plane could come undone somehow allowing the imprisoned creature to escape.

Just some food for thought. I once used this whole scenario as a catalyst for the BBEG's reign of terror in my last campaign.