PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Hogtie them!

SangoProduction
2017-08-23, 06:09 PM
So, in Spheres of Power, the Mageknight has the Divine Lariat (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/divine-lariat) archetype. This, as you can see, is a kinda cool idea that focuses on the Lasso, at the cost of the 1/2 casting part of the class. I'm fine with losing the casting (especially as, with one feat, you can get the caster level part of that back).

But, while an interesting idea - one that I kinda wanted to play, briefly - it does seem...underwhelming. I mean, you've got an easy supply of entangle, and that's a good debuff, but it's also already an easy-to-come-by debuff. And the class just seems to progress the abilities so slowly that it really does feel like by the time it's at all a noticeable change, the enemies have already moved on past the point of this being useful.

Even more frustrating is that you can't just drop the lasso after entangling someone until 8th level...when freedom of movement becomes an option... (Also, only 10 hp on the lasso at level 5. Wow... I get that it's better than baseline PF Lasso, but there's a reason it never saw play.)

Am I wrong in this assessment I've made? Ignore the "lose casting levels" part. I want to consider it just...as a set of abilities.