PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Evaluating some sorcerer bloodlines and 1st-level spell picks

BelligerentGnu
2017-08-23, 10:50 PM
So I'm joining a homebrew campaign, and I'm trying to narrow down my choices on bloodlines. At first I had been planning on taking Arcane, but it turns out the GMs have a rule disallowing familiars - and Arcane does not get a substitute first-level ability. I'm really at a loss trying to figure out just how badly this hurts the bloodline - the metamagic stuff is still amazing, but having no level 1 ability, let alone a familiar, seems awful - particularly since this campaign is starting at 1 and will probably level slowly.

So these are the options I'm considering:

Arcane - pros and cons as mentioned above. Honestly just not sure about this one.

Sylvan Wildblood - The animal companion seems fantastic and could potentially fit with my character. Wings are cool, if unecessary. entangle and hideous laughter seem like really strong early spells.

Shaitan - Excellent spell list, Avalanche could be solid, and gaining a burrow speed is just plain fun. The race we're playing also has a strong earth connection, so that fits.

I'm also looking at Spes Magna Games' Divine Bloodline - picking a cleric domain spell list seems potentially absurdly strong to me (Although I'm not sure which domain I'd go with). The abilities, particularly Inspiration and Dedication, seems just plain nutty.

Lastly, I'm considering Kobold Press' Giant Bloodline. The spell list and arcana seem to be among the strongest I've come across, and the abilities range from odd to very strong. Feat list is terrible though, and the first level power is near useless.

In addition, I'm trying to pick my first level spells. So far I've decided on Detect Magic, Prestidigitation and Ghost Sound. For the last cantrip, it's a toss-up between Daze and Light; For the 1st-level spells, I'm considering Sleep, Colour Spray, Silent Image, Grease, Magic Missile and Burning Hands (GM has hinted there may be some undead in the near future - but there's no knowing if this is a one-time thing or an on-going campaign theme.)

Anyone have some thoughts on this? I could use some second opinions.

legomaster00156
2017-08-23, 10:54 PM
Your Arcane Bond can be with an object instead of a familiar, effectively giving you an extra spell per day. Alternatively, if you like the Arcane bloodline, try the Wild-Blooded variant, the Sage bloodline. Replaces your familiar (with a useless ability, but in this instance, obviously better than nothing) and changes your casting stat to Intelligence.

BelligerentGnu
2017-08-23, 10:58 PM
Your Arcane Bond can be with an object instead of a familiar, effectively giving you an extra spell per day. Alternatively, if you like the Arcane bloodline, try the Wild-Blooded variant, the Sage bloodline. Replaces your familiar (with a useless ability, but in this instance, obviously better than nothing) and changes your casting stat to Intelligence.

Ah, I should clarify. The rule is actually 'no arcane bond', I just personally never had any interest in an object bond. The homebrew race we're playing gets +2 dex and cha, and I like playing the party face, otherwise the Sage bloodline would be a solid suggestion.

VexingFool
2017-08-24, 01:18 AM
If you plan on doing some blasting and don't mind taking a spell focus feat you could substitute the Arcane bloodline 1st level power with Bloodline Mutation: Blood Havoc.

Serafina
2017-08-24, 01:55 AM
You can always take Bloodline Mutations - Blood Havoc (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/sorcerer/bloodlines/bloodline-mutations/blood-havoc/) replaces your first-level ability, and is pretty great if you do any blasting at all.

Geddy2112
2017-08-24, 11:15 AM
Sylvan wildblooded is the next best bloodline if Arcane is off the table. Not sure why they would allow animal companions if familiars are off the table though.
Shaitan is good for blasting but really does not come into power until 9 when you get avalanche.

Your spell selection is solid. Daze is useless after the first few levels, so you could take it and switch for light later, although you want a light spell(dancing lights or light) eventually. You can always use torches for the first few levels, although light is far more useful. Eventually you will trade out color spray and sleep for other spells, but your choices are solid. For undead, most damage spells will work, and you can always buff the party and let them do the damage.

TheFamilarRaven
2017-08-24, 11:56 AM
The spell Snowball is better than Magic Missile imo. It's not an auto hit, sure. But 1d6 cold damage on touch attack plus save or be staggered is really good. And you're not at the level where they'll be incorporeal creatures every which way.

Zordran
2017-08-25, 12:49 PM
You can't give up Burning Hands. It's the only thing saving you from swarms!

Seriously, if your DM is inexperienced or you deal with random encounter tables at all, you are screwed if nobody has Burning Hands.

Kurald Galain
2017-08-25, 01:14 PM
for the last cantrip, it's a toss-up between Daze and Light; For the 1st-level spells, I'm considering Sleep, Colour Spray, Silent Image, Grease, Magic Missile and Burning Hands

Daze is hands-down the best cantrip until you hit level 4 or so. As the sorcerer gets more cantrips at higher level, I highly recommend starting with Daze. If undead are going to pop up, Disrupt Undead is also pretty good at low level (prestidig is stylish but it can wait a bit).

Magic missile and burning hands outright suck at low levels, so don't start with those. Grease and Color Spray are attack spells that will stay relevant throughout your career (yes, even at high levels, color spray stuns for one round, which is decent when you don't need or have higher level slots), so I'd recommend those two plus Silent Image as an utility spell.

Note that for only 1000 gp, you can get an extra 1st level spell known. This is well worth it.

eldskald
2017-08-25, 01:30 PM
Another important spell is Enlarge Person. It's kinda party dependant, but it's very strong and will stay useful throughout your whole career too.