PDA

View Full Version : DM Help I need help dealing with a very socially stupid character?

Roll Me A D20
2017-08-24, 10:40 AM
I have a player in my game who's character is pretty much the comic relief of the party. Everyone at the table loves him. Except for me, the DM. I have a very hard time roleplaying NPCs with this character. He is from a monastery and doesn't understand much of the modern world at all. I don't want to be harsh on his character because he himself does a very good job of roleplaying this character. I am kind of stuck because when the party is talking to an important NPC, like a political figure, this character inevitably says of does something stupid. Not so much as immediately trying to kill them, more of asking socially inappropriate questions and doing socially inappropriate things. Any tips on roleplaying and having characters in the world interact with him? I don't really want to ask the player to stop because he isn't really doing anything wrong, I am just having trouble roleplaying with his character.

Findulidas
2017-08-24, 11:24 AM
If everyone else at the table is enjoying it then just let it happen. The game is actually a group social experience. Maybe the others are enjoying both your more serious apects and his antics together? If everyone is having fun then you are a successfull GM. You also should try to enjoy him fooling around. It probably wouldnt be half as funny if you werent the straight man anyway.

Zman
2017-08-24, 11:35 AM
Take the proper in game world response to the actions.

Just implied something socially inappropriate about the queen to the king, well you just got put in the stocks for a day. Have townfold throw rotten tomatoes at him. Inconvenience the party because of his actions.

Had a character do something wholey appropriate for the character that wasn't great for the world, sentenced him to x number of hours of hard labor. His character was using time every day they were in the town for the labor and I'd impose a constitution save or suffer a level of exhaustion.

Vingelot
2017-08-24, 11:45 AM
I have a player in my game who's character is pretty much the comic relief of the party. Everyone at the table loves him. Except for me, the DM. I have a very hard time roleplaying NPCs with this character. He is from a monastery and doesn't understand much of the modern world at all.

Not sure If I understand you right... So do you have a socially inept player from a monastery, trying to roleplay a socially normal character correctly and failing, or do you have a normal player, succeeding at roleplaying a socially inept character?

Even though your wording IMO suggests the first case, I guess it's actually the second one. In that case there are two things to be said: First, it's his character and basically his choice how he wants to play (and accept the consequences). Second, I think that's a great way to integrate roleplaying and maybe use it as a way to offer a glimpse on an NPC's alignment or attitude. For example, a lenient or very kind NPC would ignore the awkward situation, as would maybe a diplomat. A lawful or short-tempered good character would admonish the PC to watch out and adhere to the rules of conduct, while an evil one might react more harshly, of course.

smcmike
2017-08-24, 11:57 AM
This is a tone issue. If you think the character's antics are giving your game the wrong tone, you can try to have an out of game discussion about it. On the other hand, if everyone is enjoying it, I'd probably just let it go. It sounds like your real problem is that you don't like getting stuck as the straight man, responding his buffoonery. That can get pretty old. One possible way to break free from that roll is to try to give your NPCs more personality - just because you happen to be the king, that doesn't mean you must be a humorless scold. Laughing uproariously and slapping him on the back can sometimes be a better response to stupid social antics, since it is a way to reassert control over the situation. It can also be underlined by a subtle threat, to establish clear lines for the character.

"Ho Ho Ho, I like this guy! The next time you touch me, though, I'll cut your hand off! Ho ho ho!"

(Subtle, right?)

Unoriginal
2017-08-24, 11:59 AM
The authority figures would get offended, and probably at MIMINUM tell the guy to leave the room.

Sariel Vailo
2017-08-24, 04:48 PM
Thog not stupid thog advanced