PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class The Soulsmith [3.5 class/Soulknife fix, PEACH]

Jormengand
2017-08-24, 03:57 PM
LevelBABFortRefWillSpecial
Power Points
Maximum Power Level
Powers Known
1st+1+2+0+2Mind Armoury (Masterwork)
-
-
-
2nd+2+3+0+3Mind Tool
-
-
-
3rd+3+3+1+3Deadly Force 1d8
-
-
-
4th+4+4+1+4+1 Mind Armoury
1st
5th+5+4+1+4Mind Armoury (Elite)
1st
6th+6/+1+5+2+5Mind Armoury Enhancement +1
1st
7th+7/+2+5+2+5Deadly Force 2d8
1st
8th+8/+3+6+2+6+2 Mind Armoury
2nd
9th+9/+4+6+3+6Soul Cutter
2nd
10th+10/+5+7+3+7Mind Armoury Enhancement +2, Mind Armoury (Phenomenal)
2nd
11th+11/+6/+1+7+3+7Deadly Force 3d8
3rdd
12th+12/+7/+2+8+4+8+3 Mind Armoury
3rd
13th+13/+8/+3+8+4+8Fast Manifesting
3rd
14th+14/+9/+4+9+4+9Mind Armoury Enhancement +3
3rd
15th+15/+10/+5+9+5+9Deadly Force 4d8, Mind Armoury (Glorious)
3rd
16th+16/+11/+6/+1+10+5+10+4 Mind Armoury
4th
17th+17/+12/+7/+2+10+5+10Mind Twin
4th
18th+18/+13/+8/+3+11+6+11Mind Armoury Enhancement +4
4th
19th+19/+14/+9/+4+11+6+11Deadly Force 5d8
4th
20th+20/+15/+10/+5+12+6+12+5 Mind Armoury, Mind Armoury (Ultimate)
4th

Alignment: Any
Hit Die: 1d10

Class Skills:
The soulsmith’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Autohypnosis (Wis), Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (psionics) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (Wis), Psicraft (Int), Ride (Dex), Spot (Wis), and Tumble (Dex).
Skill Points at 1st Level: (6 + Int modifier) × 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 6 + Int modifier

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the soulsmith.

Weapon and Armour Proficiency
The soulsmith is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, light, medium and heavy armour and shields except tower shields. The soulsmith's mind armoury can be made into a form that the soulsmith isn't proficient in, or is only proficient in through a feat or another class (or for any other reason).

Mind Armoury (Su)
A soulsmith has a mind armoury, a semisolid object which can be formed into weapons, armour or shields at will. At first level, the soulsmith can form the mind armoury into any nonmagical nonpsionic weapon or armour of no greater than masterwork quality. The equipment generated can have one elite tier (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?530265-Elite-Equipment-(Nonmagical-items-for-high-level-characters)) for every 5 levels (to a maximum of legendary tier at 25th level, in which case it should be noted that the items generated are only copies and neither preclude or are precluded by the originals existing.

Further, at 4th level the equipment becomes psionic equipment of +1 quality for every four levels the soulsmith has, and at 6th level it gains special qualities equivalent to a +1 bonus per four levels after 2nd.

The soulsmith can cause the mind armoury to phase into or out of existence as a free action up to once per round, but forming it into a new shape, while also a free action, can only be done once per minute. If the item leaves the soulsmith's possession, it returns immediately, either to the hand if thrown, a sheath if dropped and it's a weapon, or the body if it's dropped and it's armour, or the hand again if it's a shield. A soulsmith's soul armoury includes basic accessories which might reasonably come with purchased items of the same kind, like a sheath for a weapon. It also contains any ammunition the weapon might need, which phases back onto the user's person when it strikes the target.

A soul armoury can be damaged like ordinary equipment of the same type, but if it's phased out and back in again it's restored to full hit points and functionality. Changing the soul armoury's form keeps the hit point deficit constant, so if an item with 50 maximum hit points and 36 current hit points is changed into an item with 20 maximum hit points, its current hit points will be 6.

Soul armouries are never considered to be made out of a special material - it's made of raw soul essence, which is translucent purple, like an amethyst. Soul armouries are always sized for the soulsmith.

Powers
Although a soulsmith can't manifest any powers and has no power points at first, second and third level, a soulsmith is always a psionic character and can become psionically focussed. A soulsmith's manifester level is half the soulsmith's class level when they gain their powers at 4th level. Apart from the limited manifesting ability (on Table: The Soulsmith) and reduced manifester level, a soulsmith manifests powers just like a psychic warrior.

Soul Tool (Su)
From second level, a soulsmith can create basic tools using the soul tool. The soul tool works much like the soul armoury except that it's only ever masterwork quality and doesn't have special magical or psionic qualities, and it's a tool rather than a weapon, set of armour or shield. The tool can change size and shape, to occupy up to 1 cubic foot per level (items such as ladders can be a lot larger than this might suggest because they don't fill much of the space that it takes to store them). The soul tool can have moving or complex parts, and doesn't have to be a listed tool, but it cannot be automated. You can make a hand drill, for example, but you would have to turn it in order to use it. You can also make a grappling hook with a rope attatched (or fused to it somehow)

You can make copies of specific items so long as you know the item in question well enough to make an effective copy. For example, you can copy a key you're currently studying or make something that looks similar to it but isn't functional as that particular key from memory.

The definition of "Tool" can be stretched, but the item is never a good weapon (though it might work as an improvised weapon) and is never treated as a creature. It is effectively made of the normal materials for an item of its type, but is translucent purple.

Deadly Force (Ex)
From 3rd level, the soulsmith deals 1d8 points of true damage with every attack. True damage cannot be prevented, resisted or mitigated by any means, and is multiplied on critical hits. The extra damage increases by 1d8 every four levels after 3rd.

Soul Cutter (Su)
From ninth level, the soulsmith deals 1 point of intelligence, wisdom and charisma damage to each creature struck by the soulsmith's weapon. This ability damage is multiplied on critical hits.

Fast Manifesting
From thirteenth level, the soulsmith manifests powers as a swift action if the manifesting time is a standard action and as a standard action if the manifesting time is a full action.

Mind Twin (Su)
From seventeenth level, the soulsmith crafts a mind twin. The mind twin is an exact copy of the soulsmith, but doesn't have its own mind armoury or mind tools (or indeed another mind twin!). The mind twin can be equipped separately. The mind twin is under the soulsmith's control.

When the mind twin is reduced to zero or fewer hit points, it phases out. It also phases out if its nonlethal damage total is equal to or greater than its current hit point total. Once it phases out in this way, the mind twin can't be phased back in until the soulsmith gets a full night's rest.

The mind twin can be phased in or out as a standard action so long as it's within touch range (or being phased into a square within touch range). However, phasing it out doesn't heal it; only a full night's rest (or normal healing abilities) will heal it. If the soulsmith has a full night's rest while the mind twin also rests or is phased out, the mind twin is restored to full health.

The mind twin can use the soulsmith's mind armoury or mind tool if it's physically passed to the mind twin. If it leaves the mind twin's possession and doesn't return to the soulsmith's, it phases out and the soulsmith can phase it back in on the soulsmith's own person.

Deepbluediver
2017-08-24, 07:03 PM
I really like the idea of being able to form armor and shields. When I thought about revamping the Soulknife I figured I'd expand the range of weapons he could form to include things besides "a knife", but I honestly never included armor.

Anyway, giving your class access to any weapon at will isn't really OP compared to something like a caster, but other melee classes might get jealous. One method I considered for limiting versatility was to say that the class could form any weapon that they were proficient with (including exotic weapons) and then limit and/or give them options for various weapon proficiencies. In addition, that helps differentiate one person's version of the class from another.

Drako_Beoulve
2017-08-30, 12:10 PM
Mind Armoury (Su)

Nice Fix

Soul Tool (Su)

Very good idea!

Deadly Force (Ex)

OK so, true damage AND Extraordinary feature AND is Scalable AND is multiplied on a critical hit AND infinite use AND it's deal on EVERY attack(this can be exploited at pun pun levels, you know?),...This is too much IMHO, Also, I think it doesn't fit the soulknife theme, If I ever use this brew I'll scratch this feature, sorry :smallwink:

Mind Twin (Su)

This twin can be equipped with the soul armory?, if yes, this is a good idea. Also, you should push this feature to level 20 as a capstone ability

Jormengand
2017-08-30, 05:37 PM
OK so, true damage AND Extraordinary feature AND is Scalable AND is multiplied on a critical hit AND infinite use AND it's deal on EVERY attack(this can be exploited at pun pun levels, you know?),...This is too much IMHO, Also, I think it doesn't fit the soulknife theme, If I ever use this brew I'll scratch this feature, sorry :smallwink:

This twin can be equipped with the soul armory?, if yes, this is a good idea. Also, you should push this feature to level 20 as a capstone ability

Martials having nice things? HERESY!

Seriously, though, eldritch blast does scaleable damage that's multiplied on a critical hit and has infinite uses. Untyped is as close to true damage as most people get. And you don't have to stand next to someone shanking them at close range to use it.

Making the rogue's only source of damage non-crittable and unreliable doesn't make the rogue balanced, it makes the rogue weak. Making the soulknife's only source of damage eat your move action, and be mind-affecting, and only apply to one attack makes the soulknife godawful. I've never seen a game broken by martials being consistently able to deal a few extra dice of damage at level 20.

Drako_Beoulve
2017-08-31, 03:34 PM
Martials having nice things? HERESY!

Seriously, though, eldritch blast does scaleable damage that's multiplied on a critical hit and has infinite uses. Untyped is as close to true damage as most people get. And you don't have to stand next to someone shanking them at close range to use it.

Making the rogue's only source of damage non-crittable and unreliable doesn't make the rogue balanced, it makes the rogue weak. Making the soulknife's only source of damage eat your move action, and be mind-affecting, and only apply to one attack makes the soulknife godawful. I've never seen a game broken by martials being consistently able to deal a few extra dice of damage at level 20.

There you go, make deadly force (and soul weapon), untyped damage instead of true damage, and all other offenses can be spared.

Also, I guess you missed the part on where it says Deadly force only works with your soul weapon, right?

Jormengand
2017-08-31, 04:20 PM
There you go, make deadly force (and soul weapon), untyped damage instead of true damage, and all other offenses can be spared.

Why? What practical difference is it likely to make, except from possibly preventing your attacks from being entirely useless?

Also, I guess you missed the part on where it says Deadly force only works with your soul weapon, right?

You might not have a soul weapon. It would really suck if no-one ever got soul armour because deadly force doesn't work unless you're punching someone with the built-in gauntlets. So no, Deadly Force isn't meant to only work with your soul weapon.