PDA

View Full Version : Player Help A New Adventurer...

CrossRNevermore
2017-08-24, 04:22 PM
To simplify things, I am a rather new individual to this type of thing. By that, I mean, I have just found myself being pulled into the world of D&D. Thus, I can only foresee how much my green presence will stick out more than an Orc's skin. I will be finding myself in my first ever D&D campaign come the following weeks, and out of simple curiosity, I had come to seek the wisdom of those who have much more experience than I.

Given the idea that I am but a newly planted seed in this garden of a world, I would like to ask of any tips or knowledge I should bear before the time comes in which I indulge in this activity. Of course, given my usual style, I dive in head first, without a clue in the world as to what to expect and try my best to wing through it as best I can. However, given the great interest I have come to gain in this world through the stories I have heard, and a stream or two I may have watched, I simply don't wish to try and "wing it," given these circumstances. Even more so since I'm an individual who rather likes delving more into the Roleplay aspect of any and all characters I may come to create.

Thus, my lack of knowledge acts only as a hurdle to creativity. So, any and all knowledge/tips will be more than appreciated.

Tinkerer
2017-08-24, 04:40 PM
Well to start with for D&D it definitely helps to name the edition which you are referring to when you ask a question. But one thing is a constant, know the group and the campaign you're dealing with. This is quite possibly the single most important D&D skill to have. Don't be playing the lunatic 4th wall breaking character in a gritty grimdark urban thriller. So read the room and listen to the other characters.

Does the campaign have a session 0? This is when the group gathers to create characters and discuss the campaign before actually starting the adventure. If so that could be a huge help but if you're joining an existing campaign probably not. If it is an existing campaign then maybe see if you can observe a session first.

Is the group optimized or not? If it is optimized then DEFINITELY get some assistance in creating the mechanics (the actual feat/skill/powers) of the character. If they look at you blankly if you ask if it's optimized then it's probably not, and you can feel a lot more comfortable in picking your own abilities without having to worry about making a mistake.

There are a number of other tips I have but I would need additional context.

CrossRNevermore
2017-08-24, 05:20 PM
To clarify a bit further on the edition, it will be a modified 3.5. In regards to reading a room, that shouldn't be a problem in the slightest regard. Unless, of course, others intend to send mixed messages. Outside of that, I may get the odd chuckle out of a fourth wall breaker, but that is not anywhere near my current intentions towards this. So, there are no worries there.

As for a Session 0, that in of itself is...partially there. As I was there to listen to a bit of the creation of other player's characters. Outside of characters, I have not even a single clue as to what sort of ventures await my ignorance.

While the terminology of optimization is indeed diverse, I have had a good deal of assistance in building this character up. Feats, skills, powers, and the likes have all been decided upon thanks to the assistance of someone who has more diverse knowledge in the technical aspects of D&D.

In regards to additional context, what may you need? Do forgive me if I sound rude in any regard at any point in time.

MarkVIIIMarc
2017-08-25, 10:30 PM
Um....you set up equipment wise? Pencil, wipe off marker, mini?

Read through the rules yourself. Ask when in doubt and defer to the DM's ruling.

Does the rest of your grouo seem pretty reasonable? Any nut jobs who really just want to murder and pillage?

Bring chips and dip to share.

Work up some questions about saving throws and was 3.5 THAC0? Maybe about armor class.

Honest Tiefling
2017-08-25, 11:57 PM
Don't talk to us, talk to your table, preferably outside of the game. We could give you advice, but no two games are alike, and this forum is practically filled with differing opinions. But ask your DM outright what sort of game they're running. Themes, tone and story elements they want to focus on.

Having said that, I'm going to try to give some general advice. While I think your approach to learn as much as possible beforehand is good, DnD, especially in person, is a game of both preparation and improvisation. It really doesn't work for most people without a bit of both. So yes, think of things your character might say. Think of things they might do. Think of how they might react...But this is a group game. Be willing to change your character to work better in a group. It might be fun to hate all nobles, but if the rest of the cast are all law-abiding citizens who think helping the nobility is the lesser of two evils you might need to rethink some things. This is a two-way street, however, so don't be afraid to voice concerns such as your druid not participating in massacring fey.

A character is only as good as the fun they create for everyone at the table (and that includes you), else you'd be better off playing a CRPG.

Secondly, even if you want to focus on RP, know the rules! If you have a spellcasting class and a printer, consider printing out your spells so you know what you can and cannot do. If you're a fancy-pants class with other special abilities such as the paladin, print those out too. It'll cut down time in combat and non-combat encounters.

Anonymouswizard
2017-08-26, 06:36 AM
Know your group is certain the most important thing. You don't want to bring Krog the Impatient Barbarian to a group all about roleplay and investigation, but you also don't want to bring William the Eternally Curious to a 'kick in the door' style game.

Seriously, it's worse than showing up at a space marine game with a tribal swordsman.

Ohterwise people have given good advice, keep your sword sharp and your ten foot pole and marbles at the ready (how else are you going to find all those traps, including the slightly sloped floor).

Oh yeah, make sure you know how serious/silly the game is before it starts.

FreddyNoNose
2017-08-26, 12:27 PM
To simplify things, I am a rather new individual to this type of thing. By that, I mean, I have just found myself being pulled into the world of D&D. Thus, I can only foresee how much my green presence will stick out more than an Orc's skin. I will be finding myself in my first ever D&D campaign come the following weeks, and out of simple curiosity, I had come to seek the wisdom of those who have much more experience than I.

Given the idea that I am but a newly planted seed in this garden of a world, I would like to ask of any tips or knowledge I should bear before the time comes in which I indulge in this activity. Of course, given my usual style, I dive in head first, without a clue in the world as to what to expect and try my best to wing through it as best I can. However, given the great interest I have come to gain in this world through the stories I have heard, and a stream or two I may have watched, I simply don't wish to try and "wing it," given these circumstances. Even more so since I'm an individual who rather likes delving more into the Roleplay aspect of any and all characters I may come to create.

Thus, my lack of knowledge acts only as a hurdle to creativity. So, any and all knowledge/tips will be more than appreciated.

My big advice. Don't start learning about all the behind the DM screen things.

Back in the 70s, I noticed two types of new players to my games. Normally, I told people to just bring pencil and paper to start their game play. After that, one type would just play the game. The second type, would run out and buy all the books and read up on them and memorize all the monster stats, spells, magic items and such.

Now at this point you might be thinking, what is wrong with learning? Nothing is wrong with learning. However, this is a once in a lifetime chance to experience the game without all that meta gaming knowledge. Once you start to read the meta gaming material, you can never it that back. Think of it like spoilers, or sneaking a peek at the Christmas presents Santa (aka your parents) is giving you.

Or look at the Tropesheads people, the ones who have learned all the tropes for movies and tv shows and how now they don't enjoy movies or tv shows like they did before hand. Learning is great, but that doesn't mean there aren't better ways of experiencing the game.

Anonymouswizard
2017-08-26, 01:13 PM
My big advice. Don't start learning about all the behind the DM screen things.

Back in the 70s, I noticed two types of new players to my games. Normally, I told people to just bring pencil and paper to start their game play. After that, one type would just play the game. The second type, would run out and buy all the books and read up on them and memorize all the monster stats, spells, magic items and such.

Now at this point you might be thinking, what is wrong with learning? Nothing is wrong with learning. However, this is a once in a lifetime chance to experience the game without all that meta gaming knowledge. Once you start to read the meta gaming material, you can never it that back. Think of it like spoilers, or sneaking a peek at the Christmas presents Santa (aka your parents) is giving you.

Or look at the Tropesheads people, the ones who have learned all the tropes for movies and tv shows and how now they don't enjoy movies or tv shows like they did before hand. Learning is great, but that doesn't mean there aren't better ways of experiencing the game.

This is one way of playing. My advice is to read at least the player's rules, because having GMed for people who don't remember the basics, it's just frustrating.

Now, there's nothing wrong with not wanting to know more, but it's also worth doing some reading. It's like how learning the clichés and tropes of movies or tv shows, it's not worse just different.