PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next 2 new Paladin Oaths (PEACH)

Eliecc
2017-08-24, 06:50 PM
Hey guys,

looking for some feedback on these paladin oaths I created for my homebrew setting.

Oath of the Depths (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/Hk_s8HNtx)

Oath of Balance (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/r1-xSNCnuZ)

Looking forward to reading your responses.

Sariel Vailo
2017-08-25, 10:30 AM
Gtg to work im intrested more to follow later.

Sariel Vailo
2017-08-25, 05:04 PM
Im intrested in balance but wonder why koda thematic wise

Eliecc
2017-08-25, 05:42 PM
In the setting I've created a race based on the Kodan from GW2.

The Kodan Race (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/rkZF2QpID-)

They worship a god called Koda. It's their job to maintain the balance.

However: I just edited Koda out so it can easily fit into other games.

Sariel Vailo
2017-08-25, 06:06 PM
In the setting I've created a race based on the Kodan from GW2.

The Kodan Race (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/rkZF2QpID-)

They worship a god called Koda. It's their job to maintain the balance.

However: I just edited Koda out so it can easily fit into other games.
Thank you i did enjoy the oath of balance

Eliecc
2017-08-25, 06:25 PM
So I take it these Oaths are mostly balanced? ... since no one is commenting on that :/

Sariel Vailo
2017-08-26, 05:40 AM
The oath of balnce is balnced and does a little better than the oath of tbe crown however i didnt understand depths actually i tried to look at it and just didnt get it

Eliecc
2017-08-26, 06:45 AM
The oath of balnce is balnced and does a little better than the oath of tbe crown however i didnt understand depths actually i tried to look at it and just didnt get it

what about it in particular don't you understand?

The theme I was trying to go for was in general ... Paladins that hunt the likes of Krakens and Aboleths. "Monsters of the Deep"

With the theme in mind, ocean, water, cold. This leads to the Oath spell choices and the direction the abilities headed.

If you have better suggestions for abilities or spells I'm open to them.

Sariel Vailo
2017-08-26, 01:01 PM
Paladins hunting krakens cant really sea eh get it but them hunting aberations and getting defensive buffs against aberations and having cold damage and some spells form the warlocks spell table better

Eliecc
2017-08-26, 05:55 PM
Paladins hunting krakens cant really sea eh get it but them hunting aberations and getting defensive buffs against aberations and having cold damage and some spells form the warlocks spell table better

I'm going to be honest, I don't really understand what you are trying to say.

you don't really think hunting krakens would fit well with paladins?

but you can understand them hunting aberrations?

Sariel Vailo
2017-08-26, 07:11 PM
I'm going to be honest, I don't really understand what you are trying to say.

you don't really think hunting krakens would fit well with paladins?

but you can understand them hunting aberrations?
Yes hunting krakens feels like a fighter or tragic hero not an holy warrior hunting demons monsters of the night abominations not of this world. So aberations fine.krakens giant monsters and beasts not in the holy warriors wheelhouse.rangers and rougues wizards feels a little more thematic

JNAProductions
2017-08-26, 08:45 PM
Fluid Movement is too good. Otherwise Depths is good.

Merciful Intervention feels too strong. Scales of Justice is too good against single targets-the BBEG probably has more HP than all party members put together, so it's basically free damage AND advantage. Judge's Intervention should allow a save against the damage each turn, ending on a success. Same for Purging Flames.

Eliecc
2017-08-26, 09:23 PM
Fluid Movement is too good. Otherwise Depths is good.

What if I added a limited amount of uses to fluid movement. Like equal to CHA mod per long rest? would that curve the power on it enough, or what might you suggest to bring it more in line?

Merciful Intervention feels too strong.

Can you be a little more specific about what makes Merciful Intervention too strong?

Scales of Justice is too good against single targets-the BBEG probably has more HP than all party members put together, so it's basically free damage AND advantage.

Granted that Scales of Justice can be good against a single target it is very weak against groups. If you use an AoE and any of the creatures have less HP than you, you would take the damage instead and the effect ends.
If multiple creatures have less HP than you at the time you would take multiple instances of that damage.
Also unless your DM is very generous telling you monster HP you will end up hitting yourself at some point during the encounter. That is potentially a lot of damage onto yourself if you smite.

I felt like the downsides outweighed the positives in this kind of situation. Do you have any suggestions on how to balance the ability a little more?

Judge's Intervention should allow a save against the damage each turn, ending on a success. Same for Purging Flames.

As for Judges Intervention and Purging Flames. I got the idea for that from the Fire Elemental (CR 5) "Until a creature takes an action to douse the fire, the target takes 5 (1d10) fire damage at the start of each of its turns."
"The first time it enters a creature's space on a turn, that creature takes 5 (1d10) fire damage and catches fire; until someone takes an action to douse the fire, the creature takes 5 (1d10) fire damage at the start of each of its turns."

As druids can get access to this at level 10 i didn't think it was too much of a stretch to include this as a level 15 and 20 ability.

However I might change Purging Flames to deal fire damage instead of setting them on fire.

Starting at 7th level you can use your bonus action to move half your movement. This movement doesn’t provoke opportunity attacks. If under the effects of Depth Strider, you can move up to your movement.
You can use this ability a number of times equal to your charisma modifier (minimum 1).
At 20th level, You are infused with the divine power to judge those causing imbalance. For 1 minute you gain the following benefits:

You are now considered a large creature and your weapon attacks deal an extra 1d4 weapon damage.
When you hit a creature with an attack or spell you can choose to deal an additional 2d8 fire and radiant damage. This damage can only be applied once per round.
When a creature hits you with an attack or a spell they take 1d8 fire damage.

Once you use this feature, you can't use it again until you finish a long rest.

JNAProductions
2017-08-26, 09:30 PM
That'd be fine, on Fluid.

Not 100% sure on Merciful Intervention. Just a gut feeling.

The issue is, a Paladin is not MEANT to handle hordes with AoEs. They're meant to have great single-target damage. Do they even have more than, like, three AoEs? No-I'd rework this ability entirely.

I suppose it's okay to do no-save damage. It's a small amount of an easily resisted type, and DoT isn't as good as damage right now.

Eliecc
2017-08-26, 09:38 PM
Not 100% sure on Merciful Intervention. Just a gut feeling.

Not sure how to balance that xD

The issue is, a Paladin is not MEANT to handle hordes with AoEs. They're meant to have great single-target damage. Do they even have more than, like, three AoEs? No-I'd rework this ability entirely.

I suppose i'll try to think of something. Any ideas? :D

I suppose it's okay to do no-save damage. It's a small amount of an easily resisted type, and DoT isn't as good as damage right now.

I'm curious as to your thoughts on Judges Intervention's effect on allies.

JNAProductions
2017-08-26, 09:43 PM
Playtest it.

Scales of Justice could perhaps level an opponent's AC or save bonuses? For instance, let's say an enemy has +3 Str, +5 Dex, +3 Con, 0 Int, -2 Wis, and -2 Cha, your CD could level out their saves to all be +2? I dunno.

Helpful effect of Judge's Intervention seems fine.

Eliecc
2017-08-26, 09:52 PM
Scales of Justice could perhaps level an opponent's AC or save bonuses? For instance, let's say an enemy has +3 Str, +5 Dex, +3 Con, 0 Int, -2 Wis, and -2 Cha, your CD could level out their saves to all be +2? I dunno.

I do like the idea of lowering a targets AC.

What if Scales of Justice removed the effects of armor / natural armor. so maybe a CHA Save or targets AC = 10 + Dex mod for 1 minute.

But in order for it to be in the theme of balance, i feel like it has to do something negative to the paladin in order to work.

On the other hand I feel this is way too overpowered ... lol an Ancient Red Dragon would have an AC of 10

So maybe not ...

Eliecc
2017-08-26, 10:17 PM
Ok what about the following options as a replacement for Scales of Justice:

As an action, you can imbue yourself with the power to judge creatures using your Channel Divinity. For 1 minute, if a creature hits you with an attack or spell they take radiant damage equal to your charisma modifier (minimum of 1). If you fall unconscious, the effect ends immediately.

As an action, you can imbue yourself with the power to judge creatures using your Channel Divinity. For 1 minute, You have a bonus to hit and damage equal to your charisma modifier (minimum of 1), this damage is radiant. When you hit a creature while under the effects of Scales of Justice you take radiant damage equal to your charisma modifier (minimum of 1). You can choose to end this effect at any time on your turn. If you fall unconscious, the effect ends immediately.

JNAProductions
2017-08-26, 10:21 PM
One seems okay.

Two is a straight upgrade to Sacred Weapon, which is already hella good. In other words, too powerful.

Eliecc
2017-08-26, 10:29 PM
One seems okay.

Two is a straight upgrade to Sacred Weapon, which is already hella good. In other words, too powerful.

what if i removed the bonus to hit so it was just damage. Like so:

As an action, you can imbue yourself with the power to judge creatures using your Channel Divinity. For 1 minute, when you deal damage via an attack or spell you also deal bonus radiant damage equal to your charisma modifier (minimum of 1) . When you hit a creature while under the effects of Scales of Justice you suffer the same amount of radiant damage. You can choose to end this effect at any time on your turn. If you fall unconscious, the effect ends immediately.