PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder DSP Akashic Mysteries: How exactly does Crusader's Shield work?

theonesin
2017-08-24, 08:16 PM
I've never really dealt with Hardness/Object HP in 3.5/PF before, so I don't fully understand how the Crusader's Shield veil work.

As I understand it, as a level 7 Daevic, my veils have Hardness 7, and are suppressed after taking twice my level in damage(after reduction from Hardness). Crusader's Shield states that any damage intercepted by it's wall affects the veil itself, and gets +2 to Hardness per point of Essence. So my level 7 Daevic(with the correct Passion and feat) can put 3 points into it, for +6, giving the veil a total of Hardness 13.

What I don't fully understand is what happens after an attack does more than 13 in one shot. The veil takes damage, but unless it's enough to outright destroy(suppress it), does it just sit there with less HP than it had, or does it repair itself? Is the veil able to soak up to twice my level in damage before the wall comes down? Any help would be appreciated in understanding this.

Ssalarn
2017-08-24, 09:02 PM
It falls under the main rules for sundering and damaging veils-
"Veils are mostly physical constructs of akasha, and as such can be targeted by effects like a sunder attack; a veil that takes more than twice the veilweaver’s level in damage in a single attack is suppressed and does not function for 1d4 rounds."

So in your example, the veil has base Hardness 7 and you've boosted it to 13, so it would take 27 points of damage in a single attack to break the wall. Otherwise the veil just immediately restores the damaged portion. There's no lingering damage that "sticks" to the veil.

theonesin
2017-08-24, 09:48 PM
That clarifies it a lot, thanks. Additional question though: Other than the bit about treating them as magic items in relation to Dispel Magic, Disjunction, and the like, do veils follow the rest of the Hardness rules as normal(taking half damage from energy/ranged attacks and such)? Are there any melee weapons that would fall under the "ineffective weapon" ruling when attacking the wall?

Ssalarn
2017-08-24, 09:54 PM
Veils follow the rest of the Hardness rules as normal. There generally should not be anything that falls under the ineffective weapon clause when it comes to damaging a veil; essentially anything capable of dealing the requisite amount of damage will cause enough disruption to suppress the veil, regardless of whether you're punching a hole through it with a rapier or dagger or smashing it apart with a hammer or axe.