PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Possible Modular Warforged + 5E Components (Help with Homebrew)

bunnynoah
2017-08-24, 08:29 PM
So I was searching for a 5E list of warforged components, and came up slack every time. So I'm going to attempt to make a balanced homebrew of the most useful and unique components from various source books and Dragon magazines. Perhaps making them part of a modular warforged redesign.

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x317/TinDragonx/tauricwfsm.jpg

These are upgrades for the following homebrew: http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/r1uX6ULDZ
It uses 7 upgrade points that are similar to the scoring found in this guide: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vq1kz6PRAbw5LHy6amH-bNb4OuB8DBXL1RsZROt03Sc/edit#gid=0

Battlefist: This weapon resembles a massively oversized spiked gauntlet; one designed for a Medium warforged looks like a gauntlet designed for an ogre. It attaches to the arm of a warforged. This component only operates when attached and locked in place. A battlefist increases the damage dealt by the character’s natural slam attack to 1d6 points of bludgeoning and piercing damage. You can still use it as a normal hand. Costs 3 points.

Heavy Treads: These massive boots have spiked, treaded soles and look large enough to fit a heavily armored ogre. A common warforged component, vanguard treads provide speed and stability to a warforged fighting amid the rubble and carnage of the battlefield. You can move through difficult terrain at your normal speed and without suffering any other impairment. You are likewise unaffected by areas where traction is a problem. Areas that have been magically manipulated to impede movement still affect you, as does water, quicksand, and other non-solid surfaces. You likewise have to slow down for narrow paths requiring Dexterity (Acrobatics) checks for balance and for surfaces steep enough to require Strength (Athletics) checks for climbing. Costs 3 points.

Armbow: This integrated crossbow in your off-hand arm allows you use your hand when inactive. It attaches to the arm of a warforged, completely covering the hand when active. This component only operates when attached and locked in place. The weapon uses the stats for the light crossbow in the PHB. It requires bolts to fire. Costs 3 points.

Wings: A warforged who chooses the wings augmentation adds huge pair of retractable wings made out of living metal. You gain a fly speed equal your land speed. You cannot hoover or wear medium or heavy armor while flying, and you must land at the end of your turn. Costs 3 points.

Tauric Build: This woven mithral body is studded with crystals and etched with the images of fantastic beasts. When worn by a warforged, it changes the lower body into a fantastic leonine form made of mithral, steel and dark wood. You have advantage on Strength and Dexterity saving throws made against effects that would knock you prone. You also have no problems navigating ladders. You gain 10 feet to your base walking speed. Costs 6 points.

So what do you guys think? Tell me if any balancing needs to be done and what other components would be cool to add.

zeek0
2017-08-24, 11:16 PM
Seems cool; I can't really judge balance until it's put together into a class.

Also, I might direct you here for a point of comparison: http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/r1uX6ULDZ

(This is not my work, only an example of the concept you describe)

bunnynoah
2017-08-24, 11:51 PM
Seems cool; I can't really judge balance until it's put together into a class.

Also, I might direct you here for a point of comparison: http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/r1uX6ULDZ

(This is not my work, only an example of the concept you describe)

That is actually exactly what I wanted! I'll see if I could balance my components to be compatible with that. Thank you again!

zeek0
2017-08-25, 02:03 AM
That is actually exactly what I wanted! I'll see if I could balance my components to be compatible with that. Thank you again!

Sure! For balance, I recommend Detect Balance (google search it). It's a good standard for determining the power of racial traits.

bunnynoah
2017-08-25, 03:08 AM
Sure! For balance, I recommend Detect Balance (google search it). It's a good standard for determining the power of racial traits.

Thank you! I can obviously tell the creator of the Build-A-Warforged used that guide. :smallwink:

DKayro
2017-08-25, 11:22 AM
I've been running an Eberron campaign and may actually adapt this system. I like the work you've done overall. I see you used the 3.5 Eberron Campaign Setting for these items, with some adaptations. I have some thoughts on your components that I hope are helpful.

Battlefist: This weapon resembles a massively oversized spiked gauntlet; one designed for a Medium warforged looks like a gauntlet designed for an ogre. It attaches to the arm of a warforged, completely covering the hand. This component only operates when attached and locked in place. A battlefist increases the damage dealt by the character’s natural slam attack to 1d6 points of bludgeoning and piercing damage. Versions with higher enhancement bonuses are not uncommon. Costs 3 points.

The homebrew warforged you show don't have a natural "slam attack". It could add 1dx to unarmed strikes, or potentially add damage to any melee attack made using the hand it covers.

Does this allow the warforged to still use his hand? My reading would be that it does, because if not it might not be worth the upgrade points, even to a monk, as it would limit their functionality out of combat. I'd add some clarifying text.

Armbow: This repeating crossbow is formed from darkwood, and it has an unusually thick and rounded stock. It attaches to the arm of a warforged, completely covering the hand. This component only operates when attached and locked in place. An armbow magically loads and fires with a thought, as a standard action. The weapon automatically creates bolts to keep its ammunition case filled. The case holds 5 bolts at a time; whenever one bolt is fired, another one is magically created. It can create 20 bolts per day. Thereafter, the warforged can use his own life energy to create additional bolts, at a cost of 1 hit point per bolt. At any time, the warforged can expend 3 hit points to create a bolt that is aligned as if he had cast align weapon on it. Creating a bolt is a free action. Bolts vanish if they are removed from the armbow without being shot. Hit points used to create a bolt are treated just as if the character took damage; they can be healed or repaired normally. An armbow cannot use normal bolts (either magical or mundane); it is designed to create and fire its own magical bolts. Costs 3 points.

I'll start by saying I think you are reinventing the wheel a bit. For two upgrade points you could have integrated armaments and storage for ammunition. The main benefits I see to the armbow specifically are the ability to sacrifice HP for ammo or damage types, however align weapon doesn't exist in 5e and I'm not sure what a good replacement would be. I think it would be easier to flavor an integrated light or hand crossbow as an armbow.

Tauric Belt:[/B] This woven mithral belt is studded with crystals and etched with the images of fantastic beasts. When worn by a warforged, it changes the lower body into a fantastic leonine form made of mithral, steel and dark wood. You have advantage on Strength and Dexterity saving throws made against effects that would knock you prone. You also have no problems navigating ladders. You gain 5 feet to your base walking speed. Costs 7 points.

My only thoughts here are flavor related. Being a belt puts it back in the artifacts that can be found rather than upgrade you are built with. Personally, I would have it be like "Tauric Build" or "Tauric Chasis" rather than Belt. You could even add in some flavor about how it is an upgrade created to try and copy the artifact.

Other thoughts: I think the wings and vanguard boots look fine. The wings actually come off as a little underwhelming compared to the flight ability of some other races, but could save the warforged's life in a lot of situations. I might lower it to four or five points but I'm not sure?

Hope this helps!
Kayro

bunnynoah
2017-08-25, 12:37 PM
I've been running an Eberron campaign and may actually adapt this system. I like the work you've done overall. I see you used the 3.5 Eberron Campaign Setting for these items, with some adaptations. I have some thoughts on your components that I hope are helpful.

The homebrew warforged you show don't have a natural "slam attack". It could add 1dx to unarmed strikes, or potentially add damage to any melee attack made using the hand it covers.

Does this allow the warforged to still use his hand? My reading would be that it does, because if not it might not be worth the upgrade points, even to a monk, as it would limit their functionality out of combat. I'd add some clarifying text.

I'll start by saying I think you are reinventing the wheel a bit. For two upgrade points you could have integrated armaments and storage for ammunition. The main benefits I see to the armbow specifically are the ability to sacrifice HP for ammo or damage types, however align weapon doesn't exist in 5e and I'm not sure what a good replacement would be. I think it would be easier to flavor an integrated light or hand crossbow as an armbow.

My only thoughts here are flavor related. Being a belt puts it back in the artifacts that can be found rather than upgrade you are built with. Personally, I would have it be like "Tauric Build" or "Tauric Chasis" rather than Belt. You could even add in some flavor about how it is an upgrade created to try and copy the artifact.

Other thoughts: I think the wings and vanguard boots look fine. The wings actually come off as a little underwhelming compared to the flight ability of some other races, but could save the warforged's life in a lot of situations. I might lower it to four or five points but I'm not sure?

Hope this helps!
Kayro

I did intend the battlefist to still be useable as a normally functioning hand. It's simply bigger and has spikes on the knuckle side. I'll change it to unarmed damage rather than a slam attack.

I'll see about changing the Armbow to an integrated light crossbow.

I'll change the name and the fluff for the Tauric "build".

I really was cautious with the the wings and didn't want to go overboard and make a lot of people of PTSD of Aaracokra monks again. I'll see to reducing the cost.