PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Monkey King Bar [3.5 Quarterstaff Weapon] - not sure about price

gooddragon1
2017-08-24, 10:29 PM
xxxxxxxxxxxx

yarrowdeathbloo
2017-08-24, 11:57 PM
I'd say roughly 20000 gp would be a fair price for something like this.

gooddragon1
2017-08-25, 02:55 AM
I'd say roughly 20000 gp would be a fair price for something like this.

Sounds good, going with 24k for a slightly higher estimate just in case.

AOKost
2017-08-25, 04:25 AM
Monkey King Bar

This +2 quarterstaff (+2 is 8,000 gp, x2 because it's a double weapon) is red in color with gold adornments along it's length. Although this item is technically a lesser replica of the epic artifact, it confers many useful abilities to its wielder. While using this weapon for two-weapon fighting neither side is treated as off hand. (<-- Unique ability as far as I know... 8,000 gp, the equivelant of a +2 enhancement.) Miss chances for attacks made with this weapon have a 10% less chance to occur. (<-- Unique ability as far as I know... 8,000 gp, the equivelant of a +2 enhancement.) The base damage of this weapon is 2d6 or the wielder's unarmed strike damage (whichever is greater). (<-- Based on the Scorpion Kama from Magic Item Compendium, which gives the wielder the ability to use their unarmed damage instead of the weapons damage for those that have greater unarmed damage is ~4,000 gp. But you're allowing anyone to use it at an increased base damage cost without penalty, too... so that should increase the price further... say double again for 8,000 gp on the cheap side?) The holder also gains a spectral tail that is unaffected by their attire and can be used to hold items (though not to use them or attack with weapons). (<-- I think this can be accomplished through feats, and adding a feat to an item is something like 5,000 gp.)

While this weapon is held it grants a +5 competence bonus to balance (2,500 gp), climb (2,500 gp), escape artist (2,500 gp), jump (2,500 gp), and tumble checks (2,500 gp). It also grants the holder a continuous feather fall effect (<-- As ring of Feather Fall + the doubling for being on an item that doesn't correspond with the original enhancement's item type for a total of 4,400 gp.), spider climb effect (<-- As Slippers of Spider Climbing + the doubling for being on an item that doesn't correspond with the original enhancement's item type for a total of 9,600 gp.), and an enhancement bonus to land speed of 10 feet (<-- As Boots of the Uneding Journey + the doubling for being on an item that doesn't correspond with the original enhancement's item type and further doubling because it doesn't have an alignment restriction for for a total of 12,000 gp.). Also, while holding this weapon, jump checks are treated as though made with a running start, the dc for a high jump is 3 times the distance to be cleared, long jumps can be made without any vertical distance being traveled, (<-- There isn't much of a guide on how to judge the cost of a Class Feature such as the Monk ability here, but I feel 6,000 - 8,000 is fair) and reflex saves to grab a surface (such as the far edge of a gap) while jumping do not automatically fail on a result of 1 (<-- I'm not sure how to price this on the otherhand... I'll put it into the top end of the ability at 8,000 gp).

For a total time per day of 1 minute per day, the holder of this weapon can choose to act as if they were affected by the spell freedom of movement even if it isn't their turn (but activating it will use up at least one round even if it is only used for part of a round). This effect can operate multiple times per day (up to the total daily limit of rounds). (<-- As Ring of Freedom of Movement, 40,000... the price is unchanged due to the time limit imposed of 10 rounds per day.) Alternatively, the holder may expend any number of rounds remaining for this ability as a swift action to move up to 40 feet per round expended to another location in a supernatural display of athleticism. This movement is treated as teleportation and allows the holder to move to any location that they could magically fly to if they were one size category smaller (use this to determine how much movement is required). (<-- I'll be generous and chald that into the price of the Freedom of Movement effect... cause I have no idea how to price it otherwise)

Moderate Conjuration and Strong Transmutation; CL 10th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, dimension door, expeditious retreat, feather fall, freedom of movement, spider climb OR Cleric Level 10th with Travel Domain; Price 111,500 gp; Cost 55,750 gp + (0 Unsure since I never imposed that rule and it doesn't exist in Pathfinder, so further reason for me not to use it...) XP.

I think you'll find this a bit more accurate...

Westhart
2017-08-25, 12:24 PM
the xp cost is 1/25 so...
4460 I believe (using AOKost's price).

gooddragon1
2017-08-25, 11:51 PM
Price updated to the new higher amount. Though I wonder about the freedom of movement calculation.

AOKost
2017-08-26, 03:28 AM
Price updated to the new higher amount. Though I wonder about the freedom of movement calculation.

Check out Ring of Freedom of Movement... they cost 40,000 gp...

gooddragon1
2017-08-26, 07:24 AM
Check out Ring of Freedom of Movement... they cost 40,000 gp...

Yes, but they function continually, this is for 1 minute per day.

AOKost
2017-08-26, 07:32 PM
Yes, but they function continually, this is for 1 minute per day.

Take the conversion I did for the other rings, double the price because it's on an item that wasn't normally made into, and you can half the price for it being a limited duration, so the price stays roughly the same... though if you find rules for it somewhere else, by all means, follow them :)

gooddragon1
2017-08-26, 09:26 PM
Take the conversion I did for the other rings, double the price because it's on an item that wasn't normally made into, and you can half the price for it being a limited duration, so the price stays roughly the same... though if you find rules for it somewhere else, by all means, follow them :)

Would 100k be out of the question? I'm thinking (Daily uses/5)*price meets the half price and a bit of a discount to make it both a nice number and slightly more accessible.

AOKost
2017-08-27, 12:13 AM
I suppose cutting the price down to 30,000 gp for the Freedom of movement wouldn't be too OP considering the price of everything else... and you could RP it in such a way that the crafter had feats and traits that reduced the cost of crafting the item in the first place, further reducing the cost.

Edit: Theoretically, if one were to add all the magical properties in a progression instead of all at once, you could cut the cost down by:

Trait - Spark of Creation: Benefit(s): You gain a +1 trait bonus on Craft checks, and the cost of creating magic items is reduced by 5%.
Trait - Hedge Magician: Benefit: Whenever you craft a magic item, you reduce the required gp cost to make the item by 5%.

Apprenticeship and Mentorship (Dungeon Master's Guide II)
Becoming the apprentice of a trained Craftsmen grants you a permenant +2 to Craft (any) and a -10% to raw materials (This applies to mundane and magical!) along with Appraise and Knowledge (Dungeoneering and Architecture) being class skills. It costs a feat and should only be taken by dedicated crafters since from level 1 to 4 you're under the tutorlage of said craftsman. Later on at level 5, you graduate and the bonuses are there forever. You can now switch the Apprentice feat for the Mentor feat and take one of your own. Whenever you level up, your apprentice levels up, when he hits level 5, he also graduates and can be treated as a cohort as if you had the Leadership feat. Whats more when you gain Mentorship, you gain +2 to Appraise, Craft (any), Knowledge (Dungeoneering and Architechture) and Profession (Any).

Maester Prestige Class (Complete Adventurer)
You can ask a specific DM to modify the Maester to suit any craft heavy religion (Such as Moradin Worshipers) or if you ask really nicely. These classes are the fastest magic enchanters around, halvling the total time in half (They enchant at a rate of 2,000 gold coins per day instead of 1,000 gold coins). You also start with a free bonus item creation feat.

Exceptional Artisan (Eberron Campaign Setting)
This reduces the time needed to craft any item (whether magical or mundane) by 25%. Which means you can enchant 1250 gold coins per day as opposed to 1000 gold coins per day as well as slashing craft times of any mundane items. This doesn't reduce the cost of the raw materials needed to craft anything. When stacked with the Maester class, you do 2500 gold coins per day.

Extraordinary Artisan (Eberron Campaign Setting)
This feat reduces the base price of raw materials needed to craft any item by 25%, which really saves on big projects. This doesn't slash the time at all, the above feat does that.

Legendary Artisan (Eberron Campaign Setting)
This feat reduces the cost of crafting and enchanting magic items by 25%, which is always a good thing.

Magical Artisan (Player's guide to Faerun)
Choose an item creation feat. Now any time you create any item associated with that feat, you pay only 75% the normal cost. Example, you want to enchant a masterwork fullplate to +1. This normally costs 1000 gold coins but now it only costs 750 gp. This stacks with the Extraordinary Artisan feat if both are allowed, so when creating the right item, the raw materials can be reduced to as much as 50% since they both reduce the base price of the item.v

These are but a few options available.

gooddragon1
2017-08-27, 12:50 AM
I suppose cutting the price down to 30,000 gp for the Freedom of movement wouldn't be too OP considering the price of everything else... and you could RP it in such a way that the crafter had feats and traits that reduced the cost of crafting the item in the first place, further reducing the cost.

Edit: Theoretically, if one were to add all the magical properties in a progression instead of all at once, you could cut the cost down by:

Trait - Spark of Creation: Benefit(s): You gain a +1 trait bonus on Craft checks, and the cost of creating magic items is reduced by 5%.
Trait - Hedge Magician: Benefit: Whenever you craft a magic item, you reduce the required gp cost to make the item by 5%.

Apprenticeship and Mentorship (Dungeon Master's Guide II)
Becoming the apprentice of a trained Craftsmen grants you a permenant +2 to Craft (any) and a -10% to raw materials (This applies to mundane and magical!) along with Appraise and Knowledge (Dungeoneering and Architecture) being class skills. It costs a feat and should only be taken by dedicated crafters since from level 1 to 4 you're under the tutorlage of said craftsman. Later on at level 5, you graduate and the bonuses are there forever. You can now switch the Apprentice feat for the Mentor feat and take one of your own. Whenever you level up, your apprentice levels up, when he hits level 5, he also graduates and can be treated as a cohort as if you had the Leadership feat. Whats more when you gain Mentorship, you gain +2 to Appraise, Craft (any), Knowledge (Dungeoneering and Architechture) and Profession (Any).

Maester Prestige Class (Complete Adventurer)
You can ask a specific DM to modify the Maester to suit any craft heavy religion (Such as Moradin Worshipers) or if you ask really nicely. These classes are the fastest magic enchanters around, halvling the total time in half (They enchant at a rate of 2,000 gold coins per day instead of 1,000 gold coins). You also start with a free bonus item creation feat.

Exceptional Artisan (Eberron Campaign Setting)
This reduces the time needed to craft any item (whether magical or mundane) by 25%. Which means you can enchant 1250 gold coins per day as opposed to 1000 gold coins per day as well as slashing craft times of any mundane items. This doesn't reduce the cost of the raw materials needed to craft anything. When stacked with the Maester class, you do 2500 gold coins per day.

Extraordinary Artisan (Eberron Campaign Setting)
This feat reduces the base price of raw materials needed to craft any item by 25%, which really saves on big projects. This doesn't slash the time at all, the above feat does that.

Legendary Artisan (Eberron Campaign Setting)
This feat reduces the cost of crafting and enchanting magic items by 25%, which is always a good thing.

Magical Artisan (Player's guide to Faerun)
Choose an item creation feat. Now any time you create any item associated with that feat, you pay only 75% the normal cost. Example, you want to enchant a masterwork fullplate to +1. This normally costs 1000 gold coins but now it only costs 750 gp. This stacks with the Extraordinary Artisan feat if both are allowed, so when creating the right item, the raw materials can be reduced to as much as 50% since they both reduce the base price of the item.v

These are but a few options available.

I know very little about all of that. Just gonna go with the 100k for the nicer number and slight discount.