PDA

View Full Version : Anthropomorphic animal races?

Protato
2017-08-25, 06:53 AM
What anthropomorphic animal races are there in 5e? Other than the Tabaxi, that is. Also, what homebrew anthro races are any good balance wise? I might make a character at some point for a session with a lot of anthros in it, plus I figured this thread could become a resource for anyone else looking to make an anthropomorphic character.

ZorroGames
2017-08-25, 07:01 AM
What anthropomorphic animal races are there in 5e? Other than the Tabaxi, that is. Also, what homebrew anthro races are any good balance wise? I might make a character at some point for a session with a lot of anthros in it, plus I figured this thread could become a resource for anyone else looking to make an anthropomorphic character.

Just got Mouse Guard and reading it as time allows. I think animal stereotypes were made to bust hilariosly. Hippo Ballerina (Disney) comes to mind as does Sloth Rogue.

nickl_2000
2017-08-25, 07:16 AM
Presented without suggestions on whether they are good or not

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1m7qG9BDQEH1pIykhmUb88f1--ghHvJZlV5QBJUtzTR4/edit#heading=h.ucsw45kypzz8

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzjg5KPXHbU4LXFOckpzcWNaMTg/view (although I find this one pretty intriguing).

Koren
2017-08-25, 07:19 AM
There are Kenku and Yuan-ti, also Aarakocra were more bird-people right?

Aett_Thorn
2017-08-25, 07:20 AM
Yuan-ti are anthropomorphic snakes, and Dragonborn are anthropomorphic dragons, Lizardfolk, plus you have Kenku and Aarakocra for birds. Those are the only true other anthro races that we have for PCs right now.

However, other options that I know of that could be modified or used for this purpose somewhat are:

Centaurs
Wemics
Satyrs
Rakshasas
Bullywugs
Gnolls/Flinds
Kuo-toa
Minotaur

Findulidas
2017-08-25, 08:20 AM
Minotaurs are in UA.

Its very easy to homebrew races in 5e. Are some point systems that people have made. Just dont stray too far from normal races and you should be fine. Some things like flying will very easily be abused so stay away from that.

Sir cryosin
2017-08-25, 08:32 AM
In one of the plane shift UA pdf there is jackels, hawk, owl, Naga, goat,

I'm a game we just started playing my brother is playing a BeastMan penguin beast master Ranger with a bear reskin to be polarbear. What the DM did was talked with everyone OK what are characteristics a penguin should have.
So he got 2 con 1 wis forgot why we picked those. Resistance to cold damage in cold environment does not affect him. Movement speed 25 swim speed 30 also can slide on his belly for a 35 movement speed. D4 unarmed peck attack.

DarkKnightJin
2017-08-25, 08:36 AM
I wanted a literal bear of a guy to play as a Rogue..
So I refluffed a Goliath into a Kodan.
Name and inspiration came from Guild Wars 2, but damn if the idea hasn't gotten itself stuck in my brain.

Joe the Rat
2017-08-25, 08:46 AM
Yuan-ti are anthropomorphic snakes, PC Yuan-ti (per Volo's Guide) are semiophidic humans (humans with snakey traits), not human-shaped snakes.
But, you wanted to add more animals, it would be a good start for snakes.

Beyond what's listed (eagles, crows, bovines, jaguars, crocodiles, dragons), and the planeshift add-ons, you'll need to create, or better yet reskin to fit what you need.

Specter
2017-08-25, 08:47 AM
I have heard of the Peanutbutters, but they're so rare in Faerun that I don't think anyone has statted them yet.

http://www.baconandlegs.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/MrPB.jpg

MxKit
2017-08-25, 02:07 PM
From the actual books, so far we have:

Dragonborn, sort of (dragons, not "real animals")
Aarakocra (birds)
Lizardfolk (lizards)
Kenku (crows specifically)
Tabaxi (cats)

From the Unearthed Arcana, we have:

Minotaurs, again sort of (bulls, but mythological beings)
Aven (birds again, specifically ibises and hawks depending on subrace, though they're more winged-and-bird-headed with otherwise human bodies)
Khenra (jackals)
Minotaurs (again, but this time they're more anthro rams than the actual mythological bull-people)
Naga (actual snake-people!)

Agreed that if you want to do your own Homebrew, it shouldn't be too hard to make PC races for some of the Monster Manual monsters:

Bullywugs or Grungs (for frogs)
Gnolls (for hyenas)
Kuo-toa or Sahuagin (for fish)

I also made Homebrew for Grippli (frog people), Ratfolk (rat people), and Thri-kreen (insect people) already, as well as updating someone's 3.5 racoon-people homebrew to be a 5e race; I might post those after my game tonight if you guys are interested.

But even without Homebrew -- hell, even without allowing Unearthed Arcana -- it's definitely possible to have a full party that's only made up of anthropomorphic animal races. And if you allow Volo's and Plane Shift: Amonkhet and literally nothing else, you have a very good selection for your players.

MagneticKitty
2017-08-25, 05:35 PM
Google "5e Southland heroes" for playable gnoll, minotaurs, werelions, and anthro insects

Koren
2017-08-25, 06:04 PM
I would just like to acknowledge how many anthropomorphic Avian races there are compared to any other individual creature. Wizards of the Coast are big fans of bird people.

Naanomi
2017-08-25, 07:05 PM
Tritons are a good way towards 'fish man', depending on where you draw the anthro line

8wGremlin
2017-08-26, 01:45 AM
I remember a game called 'After the Bomb' and you played mutant animals.
You got a base animal and could make them bigger and smaller giving yourself more or less points to spend on your build.

I remember playing a 3ft tall anthropomorphic elephant that fought with an AK-47 and threw grenades with it's trunk, it was awesome.

In more recent times HYPERLANES - a sci-fi D&D 5e version has some interesting race concepts:
you pick a CULTURE, and a PHYSIOLOGY.
The Culture dictates your mental stats bonuses, and Physiology (everything from canines to octopus, plants, and fungi) determine physical stats bonuses, and both give bonus skills, abilities and things.

quite good really.

ZorroGames
2017-08-27, 04:36 PM
Google "5e Southland heroes" for playable gnoll, minotaurs, werelions, and anthro insects

That was a very interesting document I includevwith my Al Qadim materials - nice expansion of possible niche characters.

ZorroGames
2017-08-27, 04:37 PM
Another source for inspiration is Metamorphosis Alpha.

GlenSmash!
2017-08-27, 07:49 PM
I wanted a literal bear of a guy to play as a Rogue..
So I refluffed a Goliath into a Kodan.
Name and inspiration came from Guild Wars 2, but damn if the idea hasn't gotten itself stuck in my brain.

I refluffed a Goliath Bear totem Barbarian as natural born Werebear. It worked really well.

DarkKnightJin
2017-08-28, 02:38 AM
I refluffed a Goliath Bear totem Barbarian as natural born Werebear. It worked really well.

I just love the mental image of a 7-8ft tall bear-man suddenly vanishing in the shadows and getting into Roguish Trouble.

Joe the Rat
2017-08-28, 07:37 AM
I remember a game called 'After the Bomb' and you played mutant animals.
You got a base animal and could make them bigger and smaller giving yourself more or less points to spend on your build.

I remember playing a 3ft tall anthropomorphic elephant that fought with an AK-47 and threw grenades with it's trunk, it was awesome.

In more recent times HYPERLANES - a sci-fi D&D 5e version has some interesting race concepts:
you pick a CULTURE, and a PHYSIOLOGY.
The Culture dictates your mental stats bonuses, and Physiology (everything from canines to octopus, plants, and fungi) determine physical stats bonuses, and both give bonus skills, abilities and things.

quite good really.
Hyperlanes sounds like it's worth a look - the character build system sounds reminiscent of Eclipse Phase

Another source for inspiration is Metamorphosis Alpha.
Metamorphisis Alpha is the grand-daddy of the mutant genre - Gamma World and the Palladium Family (TMNT / After the Bomb) being descendants. The Palladium stuff can be a real toolbox for blending traits - how much animal, how much human, what quirky animal abilities to include.

I just love the mental image of a 7-8ft tall bear-man suddenly vanishing in the shadows and getting into Roguish Trouble.One of the games run at my local Con is a Savage Worlds D&D fantasy style "team of misfits" - One of the characters is a Goliath Rogue. It is the most wrong thing in the entire party. Nothing that big should be that stealthy.

DarkKnightJin
2017-08-28, 04:05 PM
Something that big -shouldn't- be that stealthy.
That's exactly why I want it to be.

Give 'em a Rapier and get Sneak Attack plus Rage bonus. SA needs a Finesse weapon. There's nothing about it requiring Dex being used for the attack roll.

Kuulvheysoon
2017-08-28, 04:12 PM
Ironic then that the Bugbear, which shares the Powerful Build trait and even has extended reach (on it's turn) gets Stealth proficiency as part of it's race.