PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Build Idea: Twin Swords

Wanderlost
2017-08-25, 07:48 AM
So, this is a build I've kind of had in my head for a while. Having planned it out a little more thoroughly, I was wondering what people would think of it. Thus, I made an account here and am opening it up to share with all of you.

Before getting into how it works, I feel it's important to note:

This build requires a game setting allowing all published materials to be drawn from, as two of its core abilities come from Tome of Battle and Dragon Magazine respectively.
This build is done with low level effectiveness in mind, as well as having a powerful progression.
I, by no means, claim that this build is perfect in any way.

This concept is based around dual wielding short swords to maximum effectiveness.

At its core, it uses Punishing Stance from the first level class dip of Warblade for an extra 1d6 damage at a -2 AC penalty in combination with the Deadly Defense feat from Dragon Magazine, requiring that you're lightly armored or not armored and defensive fighting, or at least 2 points of Combat Expertise for 1d6 extra damage with a finesse weapon. Using both of these gives you 3d6 + STR damage per attack with normal shortswords; Punishing Stance gives a -2 to AC that's made up for with the 2 points of Combat Expertise, netting a -2 to-hit for a +2d6 damage bonus. To get this combo off the ground as soon as possible, use of the Human race is assumed. It also requires a minimum of 15 STR and 15 DEX at character creation, as it uses Improved Two-Weapon Fighting and Knockdown. Additionally, there's no reason not to take the alternative Fighter class feature that sacrifices Heavy Armor and Tower Shield proficiencies for +2 Init and DEX to damage on flatfooted enemies unless your DM disallows it.

The reason shortswords are used is because they are both light and finesse, and because I like the flavor. Hypothetically, any light/finesse weapons could be used.

Warblade 1/Fighter 2/Swordsage X; Progressed from left to right. X being all remaining levels.

Anyway, without further explanation, here's the Feat/Ability progression I've come up with. I've left maneuver and other stance choices out in the interest of simplicity.
1. Punishing Stance, Combat Expertise feat, and Two-Weapon Fighting feat
2. Weapon Finesse feat
3. Deadly Defense feat, Combat Reflexes feat
6. Improved Trip feat
9. Improved Two-Weapon Fighting feat
12. Knock-Down feat
15. Robilar's Gambit feat

So, whether or not this build makes sense next to other optimized builds remains to be seen, but it does interest me and seem rather effective. Comparing it to a charger fighter, it offers a bit of a higher damage potential at lower levels (Assuming 16 STR on both at 3rd level: 2 attacks at +2 for 3d6 + 3 (9 - 19 each) vs. something like 1 attack at +3 for 2d6 + 10 (12 - 22)), but doesn't progress to the crazy place that the charger does. However, it doesn't require as many conditions to reach full effectiveness (straight line to target, etc.), and has maneuvers to stack on top of its heightened base damage... It does suffer from lesser control of Attack Bonus to Damage scaling though.

Anyway, let me know what you guys think, and what you might do to adapt it more to your own tastes.

Thanks for reading,
Wanderlost

Fouredged Sword
2017-08-25, 08:23 AM
Punishing stance will likely be eclipsed by a shadowhand stance and shadowblade sometime around early mid levels, especially if you don't dump dex. 1d6 is worth 3.5 damage. Shadow blade adds your dex to damage, so an 18 dex already has you ahead of the game. You avoid the penalty to AC and gain whatever bonus from the shadowhand stance in it's place. base of 14 with +4 gloves seems easy enough to get. I would dump str (you are only getting 1/2 to damage) and focus on dex.

Wanderlost
2017-08-25, 08:38 AM
Punishing stance will likely be eclipsed by a shadowhand stance and shadowblade sometime around early mid levels, especially if you don't dump dex. 1d6 is worth 3.5 damage. Shadow blade adds your dex to damage, so an 18 dex already has you ahead of the game. You avoid the penalty to AC and gain whatever bonus from the shadowhand stance in it's place. base of 14 with +4 gloves seems easy enough to get. I would dump str (you are only getting 1/2 to damage) and focus on dex.

That's a good point. Progressing in Swordsage means Punishing Stance should be updated at later levels. You're suggesting focusing on DEX and damage over the trip assistance? Although Knock-Down does come in pretty late for this build.

Fouredged Sword
2017-08-25, 09:00 AM
That's a good point. Progressing in Swordsage means Punishing Stance should be updated at later levels. You're suggesting focusing on DEX and damage over the trip assistance? Although Knock-Down does come in pretty late for this build.

I wouldn't dump str too much, but I would focus Dex over Str as you will be running out of trip-able enemies before too far into mid levels. The things you CAN trip don't get particularly harder TO trip. The things you CAN'T trip greatly increase in number. I would still end up with a +6 str item, I would just get it after my +6 dex and con items.

Wanderlost
2017-08-25, 02:59 PM
I wouldn't dump str too much, but I would focus Dex over Str as you will be running out of trip-able enemies before too far into mid levels. The things you CAN trip don't get particularly harder TO trip. The things you CAN'T trip greatly increase in number. I would still end up with a +6 str item, I would just get it after my +6 dex and con items.

So it makes sense to me to have both options in mind, adjusting to whichever better fits the campaign setting.

Thank you two for the input.