PDA

View Full Version : Is there a Arcane paladin?

Sir cryosin
2017-08-25, 08:20 AM
Is there any homebrewd Arcane focus paladin. I like the paladin chassis but I wish it had a Arcane feeling oath.

Sigreid
2017-08-25, 08:28 AM
I'd take Ancients and swap the spell list with wizard or sorcerer. Change smite from radiant to force or another element. Maybe refluff the capstone.

DarkKnightJin
2017-08-25, 08:32 AM
I'd take Ancients and swap the spell list with wizard or sorcerer. Change smite from radiant to force or another element. Maybe refluff the capstone.

Pretty much this. Call it Oath of Arcana or some such.
Use your best judgment to select equivalent spells as the Oath of Ancients gives.

As for Channel Divinity.. peek at the Theurgy Wizard school and Arcana Domain for Cleric for some inspiration.

Sir cryosin
2017-08-25, 08:41 AM
Any advice on what spells to switch with what.

DarkKnightJin
2017-08-25, 08:45 AM
If you're not worried about possibly unbalancing everything for the class.. give them access to the Sorcerer's list instead of the Paladin list.
As for Oath Spells.. pick some you feel fit the arcana feel of the oath.

And be sure to think up some tenets regarding the arcane for them to worry about.

EvilAnagram
2017-08-25, 08:53 AM

Just switch the Ancients domain spells with the domain spells for the Arcana cleric.

Aett_Thorn
2017-08-25, 09:18 AM
Pretty much this. Call it Oath of Arcana or some such.
Use your best judgment to select equivalent spells as the Oath of Ancients gives.

As for Channel Divinity.. peek at the Theurgy Wizard school and Arcana Domain for Cleric for some inspiration.

I would actually just switch in the Arcana Cleric spell list completely. It would fit well, I think. The channel divinity from that domain as well. Leave the aura alone, and then you'd just need to create a new capstone.

Slipperychicken
2017-08-25, 09:30 AM
How about eldritch knights, or bladelocks, or valor bards, or that blood hunter Vin-Diesel-inspired class? All of those guys can run around in armor with 'arcane' supernatural powers, being as mysterious, virtuous, or cool as you choose to play them.

dejarnjc
2017-08-25, 09:55 AM
It should probably go without saying but I'll say it anyway, swap CHA as the spell DC modifier and aura bonus for INT. You could also just keep the paladin spell list if you wanted and re-flavor it pretty easily.

Sir cryosin
2017-08-25, 10:04 AM
For spells I was thinking
Comprehend language or identify, magic missile
Flaming sphere, Nystul's Magic Aura
Counterspell, magic circle
Arcane Eye, conjure minor Elementals
Planar binding, wall of force

I'll use the Arcane domain Channel divinity.

For the cap stone I don't know what to do.

Human Paragon 3
2017-08-25, 10:11 AM
For spells I was thinking
Comprehend language or identify, magic missile
Flaming sphere, Nystul's Magic Aura
Counterspell, magic circle
Arcane Eye, conjure minor Elementals
Planar binding, wall of force

I'll use the Arcane domain Channel divinity.

For the cap stone I don't know what to do.

I don't see the theme in those spells.

Make sure to keep the paladin-only spells (the smites for instance, and find steed) in your spell list, too, or else it's not a paladin anymore.

Willie the Duck
2017-08-25, 10:12 AM

Look at the published paladin varieties and not how many spells each on grant that enhance combat effectiveness. Then choose a similar number of wizardly spells that do the same. With each one, ask yourself, "is this disproportionately awesome when cast by someone who can rock a front-line combat?" If so, it might be something someone else would consider overpowered as a paladin spell.

Sir cryosin
2017-08-25, 10:56 AM
I don't see the theme in those spells.

Make sure to keep the paladin-only spells (the smites for instance, and find steed) in your spell list, too, or else it's not a paladin anymore.

It mostly the arcane domain list except except for comprehend language, identify, flaming sphere , wall of force, conjure minor Elemental, counterspell. I didn't want add the oober spells like shield, fireball, resilient sphere, or anything that would majorly help the based paladin.

Greylind
2017-08-25, 11:02 AM
Refluff a Hexblade to have a Pact with Excalibur, or Fedifensor, or some similar holy weapon.

Willie the Duck
2017-08-25, 11:43 AM
Refluff a Hexblade to have a Pact with Excalibur, or Fedifensor, or some similar holy weapon.

Wouldn't that be the advice for someone who wanted the exact opposite -- i.e. they liked the paladin flavor but disliked the 5e game-mechanic chasis?

Sir cryosin
2017-08-25, 12:13 PM

I said I liked the paladin chassis aka based class.

miburo
2017-08-26, 10:47 AM
Check out my Swordmage paladin archetype in my sig below. It adds an arcane flavor to the paladin base class. You can easily refluff it as an "Oath of the Arcane" or similar. (Probably don't use the optional base class chassis rework at the bottom if you want to keep the paladin flavor).

thereaper
2017-08-26, 06:42 PM
Divine and arcane are just fluff labels now. And the Bard already proves that healing is nor specifically divine. And the Warlock proves that arcane power can be granted, which would imply that it could be lost.

So, I don't see a need for any changes.

But, if you insist on making it more traditionally arcane, just remove the requirements of the oath and trade away one feature in exchange (like lay on hands or divine sense).

Asmotherion
2017-08-26, 10:10 PM
Sorcerer/Paladin or Warlock/Paladin multiclass can be Role-Played as a much more Arcane and far less Divine caster if you work with your DM. Also, as already suggested, you can also choose a Patron Deity with the Arcane Domain for a more magical feeling.

Vingelot
2017-08-27, 01:02 PM
Just a personal take on an arcane paladin:

Oath of Preservation

The Oath of Preservation is one of the oldest branches of paladins, if not one of the most prominent. These paladins fight to advance the side of light by preserving what progress has been made and serve as steadfast guardians in the realm of the arcane.

Spellcasting (Lvl 2)
You learn two cantrips of the wizard spell list. Unlike other paladins, your spellcasting ability is intelligence.

Oath spells
3: Shield, Magic Missile
5: Magic Weapon, Shatter
9: Counterspell, Slow
13: Cloudkill, Telekinesis
17: Eyebite, Sunbeam

Channel Divinity (Lvl 3)
Abjure Enemy - Like Vengeance
Arcane Weapon - Like Devotion's Sacred weapon

Aura of Warding (Lvl 7)
Like Ancients

Arcane Recovery (Lvl 15)
Once per day when you finish a short rest, you can recover spell slots with a combined level of up to a third of your paladin level.

Eldritch Champion (Lvl 20)
As an action, you turn into an avatar of the arcane. For one minute, you gain the following benefits:

You gain a flying speed of 30 feet.
You gain one empty spell slot of each level up to sixth (i.e. one first-level slot, one second-level slot, etc.)
You can cast all spells from the sorcerer spell list (using the spell slots you possess).

Once you used this feature, you can't use it again until you finished a long rest.

Renzlir
2017-10-30, 08:47 PM
Oath of the Arcane Protector

Tennents- WIP

Channel Divinity
When you take this oath at 3rd level, you gain the following two Channel Divinity options.
--Arcane Recovery. As an action you can restore a value of expended spell slots equal to 1/2 of your Paladin level (rounded down).
--Dispel Magic. As an action you can remove one magical affect from a number of creatures that you can see up to your Charisma modifier (minimum of 1)

You gain oath spells at the paladin levels listed.
3rd - Shield, Absorb Elements
5th - Invisibility, Misty Step
9th - Counterspell, Haste,
13th - Fire Shield, Dimension Door
17th - Teleportation Circle, Flame Strike

Aura of Warding. Beginning at 7th level, ancient magic lies so heavily upon you that it forms an eldritch ward. You and friendly creatures within 10 feet of you have resistance to damage from spells. At 18th level, the range of this aura increases to 30 feet.

15 Ability WIP
20 Ability WIP

Still playing around with things, Paladin is base class. I would prefer the paladin spell progression on the Eldritch Knight, and just remove their limited spell selection.

djreynolds
2017-10-31, 12:34 AM
Just multiclass EK and Paladin, or play a paladin/sorcerer. This will give you the feel of paladin smite along with an arcane spell list

Arkhios
2017-10-31, 03:49 AM
Check out my Swordmage paladin archetype in my sig below. It adds an arcane flavor to the paladin base class. You can easily refluff it as an "Oath of the Arcane" or similar. (Probably don't use the optional base class chassis rework at the bottom if you want to keep the paladin flavor).

I would rename Aura of Warding (Oath of the Ancients has already "claimed" it), and probably alter the spell list a little to offer utility spells both in and out of combat in contrary to purely combat oriented spells as it is now.

Otherwise it seems solid.

Aelioran
2017-10-31, 07:44 AM

Whoa, just saw that I was credited in that! Awesome :D

BTW, I used your Swordmage homebrew class in my first 5e campaign and had a blast with it!

miburo
2017-11-01, 11:54 PM
Whoa, just saw that I was credited in that! Awesome :D

BTW, I used your Swordmage homebrew class in my first 5e campaign and had a blast with it!

Aelioran, long time no see! Of course you get credit for it, it was a team effort :smallbiggrin:. Though, I was thinking of rebuilding the fluff around it into a dedicated Oath of the Arcane paladin. That's on the roadmap...

Glad you liked the ole' Swordmage homebrew class. I evolved it into the Spellsword class in my sig which takes advantage of the SCAG cantrips (those didn't exist when the original class was made). Check it out if you're interested!

imanidiot
2017-11-02, 12:04 AM
Is there any homebrewd Arcane focus paladin. I like the paladin chassis but I wish it had a Arcane feeling oath.

A Celestial Pact Warlock with Eldritch Smite and a Fighter level 1 dip or a homebrew invocation for heavy armor should do the trick.

Arkhios
2017-11-02, 12:10 AM
A Celestial Pact Warlock with Eldritch Smite and a Fighter level 1 dip or a homebrew invocation for heavy armor should do the trick.

Why people keep suggesting roundabout solutions when the OP has stated he specifically wants the paladin chassis?

Quoxis
2017-11-02, 02:53 PM
Why people keep suggesting roundabout solutions when the OP has stated he specifically wants the paladin chassis?

I thought you were here long enough to know that's how the playground works.

8wGremlin
2017-11-02, 03:36 PM
No there isn't -

Home brew it or switch paladin spells for sorcerer spells and be done.

EvilAnagram
2017-11-02, 03:48 PM
I don't think someone who posted in August is still looking for advice.

8wGremlin
2017-11-02, 03:55 PM
I don't think someone who posted in August is still looking for advice.

You're probabally right, yet here we are still talking about it... ;-)

It would be nice if WotC would took note?

Arkhios
2017-11-03, 02:21 AM
You're probabally right, yet here we are still talking about it... ;-)

It would be nice if WotC would took note?

Unfortunately(?) WotC is not obligated to take note of anything written in a third party medium.

Willie the Duck
2017-11-03, 07:51 AM
I would be vaguely surprised if WotC knew this place existed.

mephnick
2017-11-03, 10:44 AM
I would be vaguely surprised if WotC knew this place existed.

I'm sure they're aware of their major fan sites, most companies are.

But thinking they might value any mechanical discussion here is akin to people on hockey forums thinking General Managers might see their post and make the trade they suggested.

*To be fair. My dream in life is to get super rich, buy a sports team, and manage it based on fan forum polls

miburo
2017-11-03, 09:08 PM
Just took a shot at an Oath of the Arcane subtype, based on the previous "Swordmage" style Paladin. Take a look here if you're interested:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lp4Mwz9Il9Gry41hRlVnw47GVo0ILZEUetRw27XUWLw

I'll likely post separately in the Homebrew section as well for comments.