PDA

View Full Version : Playgrounders In D&Dtopia (3.5)

WhatThePhysics
2017-08-25, 11:05 AM
Removed by author.

Goaty14
2017-08-25, 02:59 PM
First I'm going to take into account who else is here with me. (Because I really don't know what else to do.)

Waker
2017-08-25, 03:19 PM
This thread might be better placed in Message Board Games (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?34-Message-Board-Games).
But if I found myself in a mysteriously abandoned village, while looking around for food and tools, I'd keep a sharp lookout for the word "Croatoa" written on any surfaces.

flappeercraft
2017-08-25, 03:55 PM
RAW answer: I start crafting quarterstaffs which I do instantly due to crafting rules for infinite wood. I then use the quarterstaffs as raw materials for crafting 10 foot poles. I then start selling 10 foot poles and eventually with the money buy a Candle of Invocation for infinite wish loops.

What I would actually do: I do the quarterstaff thing for infinite wood and use the wood to make walls around the village for protection. I spend time learning how to be a Wizard when I am done.

Edit: Actually, I'll take a level in fighter first, then I will go for wizard

Hish
2017-08-25, 04:38 PM
After making a search for any sign of what happened to the villagers (you specified that I don't find anything), I look for spellbooks and arcane scrolls. If I find any, I begin working with elemental and nature spirits (I take a level of Wu Jen). If I don't, I attempt to develop mental powers (I take a level in Psion (Not sure what discipline, I'd rather go Wu Jen)).

Wu Jen over Wizard for three reasons: I'm sure we'll have plenty of Wizards and diversity is good; I don't want to try to live up to an optimization forum's ideals of a Wizard; and Wizards need to exhaustively study things, but a Wu Jen just has to agree not to sit facing west and the easy path is more attractive.

I'd actually like to see this as a message board game, less rigorous and optimization focused. Would anyone mind if I make a new thread over there?

Vizzerdrix
2017-08-25, 06:43 PM
Oooh, neat. Do we suddenly find ourselves with a hanful of feats? Do we have skills to pay the bills, or do I keep what I know? Because I knows some things. Fish and game traps. I can make poor quality bows (cant shoot worth a dang). I know a tiny bit about about a lot of things is what Im getting at here.

If we get to pick our feats Im going troll blooded+ mark of xoriat feat chains as fast as I can. Everyone else will be some form of caster so I may as well try to meat wall untill they get the heavy hitting spells online. I can always go chameleon later so I can play with magic too, and if someone makes me some shapesand early on I will be content.

flappeercraft
2017-08-25, 06:52 PM
Oooh, neat. Do we suddenly find ourselves with a hanful of feats? Do we have skills to pay the bills, or do I keep what I know? Because I knows some things. Fish and game traps. I can make poor quality bows (cant shoot worth a dang). I know a tiny bit about about a lot of things is what Im getting at here.

If we get to pick our feats Im going troll blooded+ mark of xoriat feat chains as fast as I can. Everyone else will be some form of caster so I may as well try to meat wall untill they get the heavy hitting spells online. I can always go chameleon later so I can play with magic too, and if someone makes me some shapesand early on I will be content.

In that case I could build myself to be some kind of buffer to assist you if it gets to the point where we just make ourselves D&D characters. Althought I might go a gish but even in that case I would help with buffs

Edit: Also, this brings me the idea, why don't we make a game on Message Board Games, 3.5 Subforum or On Going Games and we make it so anyone can join. Basically just like a D&D game but with the whole playground on it, we could have an assigned DM and just a custom world where we just go and make insanity. Should I make this and where should I make this?

Sapreaver
2017-08-25, 07:11 PM
I'd definitely be a rogue for my first level.
My skill points wouldn't be good for searching or spotting but being a tradesmen irl means i have a bunch of points in a bunch of things lol. And I'm fairly strong
Edit is there a classa with a focus on building things lol?

flappeercraft
2017-08-25, 07:24 PM
I guess artificer would be what you're looking for. It's mostly focused on magic items but it does have the Craft skill and Knowledge Architecture and Engineering as class skills

Sapreaver
2017-08-25, 07:26 PM
Lol how did I forget about artificer

Goaty14
2017-08-25, 08:10 PM
(Personally, a bunch of Gitpers in an abandoned town would be hyper-intelligent, and have a bunch of wizards 'n stuff, which would end up looking like a mash between Eberron and this (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20041231a))

I would go TN/LN Druid or (perferably) Wildshape Ranger, and then bonk into Master of Many Forms after level 5 to start getting those sweet, juicy, Ex/Su abilities.

I'd definitely be a rogue for my first level.
My skill points wouldn't be good for searching or spotting but being a tradesmen irl means i have a bunch of points in a bunch of things lol. And I'm fairly strong
Edit is there a classa with a focus on building things lol?

The Maester is a 5 level class that focuses on crafting.

How does Craft (Siege Weapons) sound?

Sapreaver
2017-08-25, 08:15 PM
Artificer 15 maester 5. Once he mentioned artificer I was thinking automated defenses lol.
I have a skill point in that irl. I once made a wrist mounted xbow out of coffee sleeves that fired a slurpee straw hard enough to puncture a can of cola. (overnights at a gas station are that boring.)

flappeercraft
2017-08-25, 08:17 PM
(Personally, a bunch of Gitpers in an abandoned town would be hyper-intelligent, and have a bunch of wizards 'n stuff, which would end up looking like a mash between Eberron and this (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20041231a))

Honestly it would be more like a Tippyverse multiplied by the real world to the exponent of Durakistad

Waker
2017-08-25, 09:07 PM
If I suddenly plopped down in D&D world subject to the usual D&D rules, I'd probably end up as something like a Marshal or maybe Savant. I'm intelligent, but too lazy to learn to be a wizard. Great at memorization, but no musical aptitude for being a Bard. Something about me apparently inspires understanding in others though, even if I still can't figure out how it works. One of my favorite examples of this phenomenon is years ago when a friend was reading the Tao Te Ching. He was having trouble with it and asked me to explain it, but since I remembered the first rule of Taoism is don't talk about Taoism, I instead simply re-read aloud what he had just read. A lightbulb clicked on and he suddenly figured it out.
The moral of the story is that in this D&D village, I'd help everyone out. With the power of friendship.

Endarire
2017-08-25, 09:20 PM
I want to be a Paladin for the purpose of chanting, "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu!" and having big P grant me a wish which I turn into a custom item of at-will CL20 (or higher) simulacrum which I use to make Sim Solars and Sim Efreet. If such is unavailable, I'll take an unexpended Ring of Three Wishes and start reshaping reality, ensuring that I have ample wishes to make more wish-granting items as prudent.

And this is RAW legal at level 1. I just need to invest all my character's resources into Knowledge (Religion) and INT.

Assuming a +5 bonus from 20 INT (18 base + 2 from age) + 4 ranks + 2 Masterwork Tool + 3 Skill Focus + 1 Illiterate trait (bonus goes to K(R) and I spend 2 skill points to negate its penalty), I have +15. I take 10. The trick works.

(Alternatively or additionally, I could have taken the Education feat to give +1 on K(R) check, the Absent-Minded trait to give +1 on all Knowledge checks, s and use an item of guidance to give another +1.)

Who needs Paladin class features when you're better at magic than pre-epic casters?

Mike Miller
2017-08-25, 10:20 PM
I'd actually like to see this as a message board game, less rigorous and optimization focused. Would anyone mind if I make a new thread over there?

A link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?534402-Playgrounders-in-D-amp-Dtopia-(3-5-loose-rules)) would be nice. :smallsmile:

Endarire
2017-08-25, 11:37 PM
@OP: I assumed 'the locals' didn't include traditionally extraplanar beings.

If Pazuzu is off-limits, I'd likely go tier 1 caster. Initially, a Druid would likely be best. May as well help the Artificer(s) and other crafters start a metaphysical revolution (https://campbellgrege.com/work-listing/the-metaphysical-revolution-dd-3-5-module/).

BloodSnake'sCha
2017-08-26, 12:22 AM
Let look at my Abilitis:
I have a high Str, higher Dex, high Con, mid-high Wiz, very high Int and medium Cha.
Flaws:
Autism Spectrum Disorders: I have problems with understanding humans -4 on all human related chacks.
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD): Can't do only one action in a time, some times will just randomly get hurt for doing something stupid.
Trait:
Can't feel pain: Unaware to damage to myself, get the Diehard feat.

Feats:
- Improve Unarmed.
-
-

I go with a Wizard and play a gish as I have good Str, Dex and Con, I will take some PRC for free metamagic.
I will not wast my time in making magic items because wie have some artifacters.
I will be TN and make myself a small undead army for cheep workers.

flappeercraft
2017-08-26, 12:38 AM
factotum is pretty int based

Vizzerdrix
2017-08-26, 01:28 AM
That would imply you have trolls in your family tree

You sir, have not met my family. Uncle Leon has a strange obsession with bridges, and auntie Jane IS rather afraid of goats. :smallbiggrin:

Hish
2017-08-26, 04:21 PM
A link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?534402-Playgrounders-in-D-amp-Dtopia-(3-5-loose-rules)) would be nice. :smallsmile:

Apologies; was tired.
I came back now to add a link if no one had yet.