PDA

View Full Version : Not a new subclass, I'm a moron. Swashbuckler will be in Xanthars though

nickl_2000
2017-08-25, 12:13 PM
Looks like JC has confirmed the Swashbuckler. I think he is enjoying the teases!

https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/901116196308647937

See the first comment.

jaappleton
2017-08-25, 12:14 PM
Looks like JC has confirmed the Swashbuckler. I think he is enjoying the teases!

https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/901116196308647937

See the first comment.

The Swashbuckler Rogue was released in the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide.

nickl_2000
2017-08-25, 12:16 PM
The Swashbuckler Rogue was released in the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide.

Crap, then how could they be correcting something?

Sir cryosin
2017-08-25, 12:16 PM
Nothing but page filler.

jaappleton
2017-08-25, 12:17 PM
Crap, then how could they be correcting something?

With future prints of the book.

nickl_2000
2017-08-25, 12:19 PM
With future prints of the book.

Yes, but don't they usually just re-print the same book when they do this? Why would the error be

"...already been corrected in Xanathar's Guide to Everything."

Millstone85
2017-08-25, 12:19 PM
With future prints of the book.And also in Xanathar's, which will have 4 subclasses from SCAG.

Kuulvheysoon
2017-08-25, 12:20 PM
They did mention that theyd be reprinting some already published materials. I'm not all that surprised that the swashbuckler made it.

nickl_2000
2017-08-25, 12:21 PM
And also in Xanathar's, which will have 4 subclasses from SCAG.

Alright, well as I changed my subject of this thread to. I'm a moron (I tried to delete the whole thread, but it wouldn't let me).

Millstone85
2017-08-25, 12:23 PM
Eh, this information isn't entirely worthless.

We now know one of the SCAG subclasses reprinted in XGtE.

Byke
2017-08-25, 12:32 PM
Nothing but page filler.

I have to agree with this...will hold off on buying it. Until I hear the reviews.

Potato_Priest
2017-08-25, 12:36 PM
Nothing but page filler.

As long as we get the 25 new things, I'm fine with them repeating content. It just makes it so I'll have to carry fewer books around.

No more than 4 subclasses are coming from SCAG, and they're not included in the 25+ number.

Mikal
2017-08-25, 12:52 PM
Nothing but page filler.

Not necessarily. With Adventurer's League's PHB+1 rule having some classes reprinted in this book makes it more likely for people to buy it, since it will allow AL players to use existing options that are presumably fan favorites while also allowing new options to be available for mix/match/mutliclass.

rbstr
2017-08-25, 01:03 PM
Yup, makes tons of sense to consolidate popular older options into this book for the +1 folks.
Wonder if we'll see some of the Volo's races put in there too.

Aett_Thorn
2017-08-25, 01:31 PM
So what do we think the four will be?

Swashbuckler and...?

I'm thinking a buffed PDK and Battlerager, as well as a tweaked Arcana cleric?

Mikal
2017-08-25, 01:35 PM

Swashbuckler and...?

Bladesinger probably.

Millstone85
2017-08-25, 01:38 PM

Swashbuckler and...?

Bladesinger probably.We know that...

link (https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/872113560175861762)

FR-specific subclasses like the Purple Dragon Knighy aren't coming along for the ride.

Which remains odd for a book named after an FR-specific character.

Anyway, no PDK, and probably no battlerager or bladesinger either.

And I think they will only errata the subclasses, not buff or tweak them.

jaappleton
2017-08-25, 01:40 PM

Swashbuckler and...?

I don't know why you'd think that the previous subclasses would be tweaked. Swashbuckler is being altered for clarity.

Aett_Thorn
2017-08-25, 01:48 PM
I don't know why you'd think that the previous subclasses would be tweaked. Swashbuckler is being altered for clarity.

Well I guess they could just be bringing them over for the AL PHB+1 reason, but if they're going to reprint them, why not make a few fixes for them at the same time?

Mikal
2017-08-25, 01:49 PM

Well with that being said, which other subclasses need clarification like Swashbuckler? Or were you talking about the whole "tweaking portion" only. Assuming that another reason to bring the other subclasses over is to help the PHB+1 crowd?

Millstone85
2017-08-25, 01:52 PM
Well with that being said, which other subclasses need clarification like Swashbuckler?I don't think the swashbuckler is being reprinted in XGtE because of the clarification.

XGtE will just be released before the errata'd SCAG. At least that's my guess.

Theodoxus
2017-08-25, 01:55 PM
Re: sneak attack with disadvantage, I think it should be any negative modifier. Can't sneak with a bow against partial or half cover without sharp shooter. Can't sneak attack when using the -5/+10 portion of sharp shooter... as examples.

I know, why can't martials have nice things... go cry elsewhere.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-08-25, 02:24 PM
Hmmm... the non-specific list, then, would seem to be Arcana Clerics, Long Death and Sun Soul Monks, Oath of the Crown Paladins, Mastermind and Swashbuckler Rogues, Storm Sorcerers, and Undying Warlocks.

We know Swashbuckler. I'm betting Arcana goes on there too. Maybe Sun Soul and... Undying?

Chunkosaurus
2017-08-25, 02:29 PM
The bigger question is will they reprint the SCAG cantrips in XGTE. That would help people who want to Gish in AL immensely

Sir cryosin
2017-08-25, 02:30 PM

Swashbuckler and...?

Swashbuckler, arcane cleric, long death Monk, storm Sorcerer . I think I read in the twit they are not add FR classes like purple dragon Knight so no bladesinger, battlerager, but then I could be wrong.

Aett_Thorn
2017-08-25, 02:37 PM
Swashbuckler, arcane cleric, long death Monk, storm Sorcerer . I think I read in the twit they are not add FR classes like purple dragon Knight so no bladesinger, battlerager, but then I could be wrong.

That...actually makes sense.

Mikal
2017-08-25, 02:38 PM

Long Death is technically FR, along with Sun Soul, IIRC. If they're not considered FR, then any of the classes except PDK, and maybe battlerager, qualify. Bladesingers were never FR exclusive.

War_lord
2017-08-25, 06:06 PM
I don't agree with the "filler" comment, SCAG was a hyper niche product, Swashbuckler is a Rogue class that brings something unique to the table. It seems logical to reprint it in a book more players are likely to buy.

Zalabim
2017-08-26, 03:16 AM

Swashbuckler and...?

Hmmm... the non-specific list, then, would seem to be Arcana Clerics, Long Death and Sun Soul Monks, Oath of the Crown Paladins, Mastermind and Swashbuckler Rogues, Storm Sorcerers, and Undying Warlocks.

We know Swashbuckler. I'm betting Arcana goes on there too. Maybe Sun Soul and... Undying?

Another tweet says "The SCAG subclasses in XGE are few and compact and were very popular." So I think that rules out Undying, PDK, Mastermind, and maybe Crown too. I might rule out Arcana cleric on "compact" grounds, too.

DracoKnight
2017-08-26, 03:50 AM
Another tweet says "The SCAG subclasses in XGE are few and compact and were very popular." So I think that rules out Undying, PDK, Mastermind, and maybe Crown too. I might rule out Arcana cleric on "compact" grounds, too.

My money's on Swashbuckler, Bladesinger, Storm Sorcerer, and Long Death Monk.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-08-26, 08:25 AM
I might rule out Arcana cleric on "compact" grounds, too.
How so? It's no bigger than any other subclass, and it's certainly generic and popular enough.

Zalabim
2017-08-26, 08:29 AM
How so? It's no bigger than any other subclass, and it's certainly generic and popular enough.

I haven't pulled out a ruler, but I have a feeling that the arcana domain is longer than the school of the sun soul, for example.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-08-26, 08:54 AM
I haven't pulled out a ruler, but I have a feeling that the arcana domain is longer than the school of the sun soul, for example.
It takes up about a column and a half; most of the others take up about one column, though Oath of the Crown and Storm Sorcerer are around that long too.

Naanomi
2017-08-26, 09:52 AM
If they are not doing FR specific stuff then it has to be... 4/6 Swashbuckler, Storm Sorcerer, Oath of the Crown, Undying, Arcana Domain, or Mastermind? Everything else is clearly FR fluff

Tauguy628
2017-08-26, 10:53 AM
It was my impression that the "compact" meant limited pre-class fluff and was not as much about the exact length of the subclass.